Aliens ARE Canon

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am

Through out the Fallout Universe Aliens and there equipment have been with us the whole time. I believe that plasma weapons are reversed engineered alien blasters. They have been in Fallout 1, 2 and 3.

Also Area 51 is cannon on Fallout 1 so I hope it's in FO:NV

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Ship
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Alien
Scotties Hottie

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:41 am

Easter Eggs

If you follow that, then Godzilla and the TARDIS are canon too.
Javier Borjas

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Do we have to go through this again!
This will just lead to Flame bating and what not
we have links about this I can think of at least 2
All aliens in the other fallout are easter eggs nothing more. They are not canon that is all I have to say about is. I will send links if you want to read the other peoples opinions on them for why they are or are not.

Here is one that is not locked about aliens and canon blab bla bla.... Here http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1073680 it says area 51 but the canon not canon is there as well.

This topic will get out of hand because it is picking a side and wanting people to say No or yes to it. It will split people and I don't think that is allowed on the forum.

I can be Overreacting on this but this topic bugs be. I have been through this I think 4 times now. I don't like repeating myself.

I think this might apply here:
Petitions
We do not allow the creation of petitions on the forum. This includes creating a thread for the purpose of discussing a petition elsewhere

Charles Weber

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:07 am

Through out the Fallout Universe Aliens and there equipment have been with us the whole time. I believe that plasma weapons are reversed engineered alien blasters. They have been in Fallout 1, 2 and 3.

I just got myself into a bit of trouble because of this debate so I'll say my piece: according to Fallout developers and the Fallout wiki, the Alien Ship is a Special Encounter and Special Encounters are not considered canon. That's from the mouth of babes and all that (+5pts if you get that reference).

Also, being canon or not because of slight nods doesn't change the fact that Bethesda, in using aliens as a cause for the disaster took a huge part of what the original developers intended--which was to show how humans were responsible (i.e. "what have we done to ourselves and how do we cope with it?") out of the picture and gave us a sort of lazy deus ex machina. Now, I'm not going to debate this. I'm just posting this as a relation from where the developers of the first game differ from the new developers and say that whatever Bethesda says is canon now--is ultimately canon. So while I might argue that aliens never were canon or meant to be or how Bethesda changed an integral philosophy behind the game--it just simply doesn't matter anymore because whatever Bethesda says is official, is like it or not.
Timara White

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 pm

As long as they are not implemented like they were in MZ I am fine with it.
Laura

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:40 am

Eh, me too.

Of course, I was one of the few people who didn't mind playing MZ.
Tom Flanagan

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 am

:: getting a box of popcorn::
Nana Samboy

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:10 pm

From everything I've read the devs didn't intend for aliens to be more than an easter egg in Fallout1/2. Since Bethesda calls those shots now and they decided to use aliens heavily in Fallout 3 I guess aliens are now canon. I personally thinks it's silly and detracts from the setting to use aliens as more than a little joke/surprise hidden away in the game, but that's just my opinion. I thought mirelurks were even more silly, so... :P
Scared humanity

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 am

I thought mirelurks were even more silly, so... :P

I saw a mirelurk the other day. Horrible creatures.
Ludivine Dupuy

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:48 am

Man i hope there ain't no little green men running around New Vegas.

If i find any they go
:flamethrower:

:nuke:

:gun:
Kara Payne

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 am

I liked Mothership Zeta but whatever works for ya, theres a simple solution though. If another alien dlc comes out just ignore it and dont buy it :P. The only arguement I'd put forward is ok aliens have been done, lets move on to something different.

I'd be funny to have Obsidian do a nod to Bethesda/gamesas and add a corpse of martin septim somewhere in a vault suit.
sw1ss

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 am

I liked Mothership Zeta but whatever works for ya, theres a simple solution though. If another alien dlc comes out just ignore it and dont buy it :P. The only arguement I'd put forward is ok aliens have been done, lets move on to something different.

I'd be funny to have Obsidian do a nod to Bethesda/gamesas and add a corpse of martin septim somewhere in a vault suit.

...You mean the Dwemer.
Philip Rua

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:56 am

Those are easter eggs/special encounter

"Numerous easter eggs and references to various books, movies and other games are one of the staples of the Fallout series. These are instances where something or someone from pop culture or the real world is referenced in the game itself, e.g. Fallout 2 has an encounter with King Arthur." wiki.

Special encounters are random encounters, often non-canonical, and are unique compared to more common encounters which may consist of hostile NPCs. They usually serve as entertaining points of humor, though some are very dangerous (Mad Brahmins), while some grant access to unique, sometimes powerful loot (Bridge Keeper). Most of these encounters consist of humorous pop culture references or other games or even earlier Fallout games (The Cafe of Broken Dreams).

Aliens are meant to be joke. The case for having them in fallout 3 mothership zeta because "they were in fallout 1/2" is false.

There is not evidence that the plasma weapons have anything to do with the alien blaster.
Alien does not have to mean little people from space or the aliens in the alien movies.
I can mean "strange unknown, not or the normal ie: Alien"
Alien blaster could be just that!
Even the one you find in the easter egg. It's just an easter egg.
If we include aliens form the special encounter we have to include Star Trek, Dr. Who and godzilla!
Having Aliens star the great war are is very bad for fallout. Fallout 2 intro makes it clear people and only people cause it.
Lauren Dale

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 am

Well, if aliens are "cannon," then I guess it is true that some of the weapons used in the FO timeline have evolved from them...
Annika Marziniak

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:58 am

If it is an easter egg in FO2 and even more than an easter egg in FO3 I would imagine that it would be safe to say that the presence of aliens in NV, at least as an easter egg, would be infact; cannon. considering that aliens have appeared 2 out of 3 times.
Robert DeLarosa

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 pm

I see you down there Sawyer! Whats the verdict? Aliens yes? or aliens no?! :)
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Bethesda should never have made aliens canon. Maybe, if they avoid even the word "alien" for a few games, we can assume that they are no longer canon. Just say that during MZ, the LW had too much Jet :lol:.
Oscar Vazquez

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:49 am

If the http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Bridge_Keeper (Easter egg) from Monty Python and the Holy Grail appears as a major character in a Fallout game I'm through with the series. :P
Yama Pi

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:07 am

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing some crashed sections of that mothership somewhere out in the desert in F:NV. Maybe with a dead alien or two around and some alien weaponry. But even though I enjoyed Mothership Zeta, I don't really need them back in force as they were present in that particular DLC :)

Greetz,

Milt
Richard

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:53 pm

A big No on Aliens, they are not canon. I hope Bethesda comes out and say Mothersip Zeta was just on big ester egg a non-canon side game for the alien fans out there. Easter eggs are fine but having them start the great war having big motherships in earth orbit is just nuts. Fallout has enough to make it great with out aliens. If we keep going down the road of zeta we will end up with Resistance fallout cross over type game.
lexy

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Enclave encounters are easter eggs too. and merchant travellers too.

Aliens are cannon. You can get alien blaster from enclave oil rig and from normal travelling merchant in fallout 2.

Also fallout bible mentions alien crashes several times. (well atleast once)
Peter lopez

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:44 am

HERE HERE, I really didn't like the way aliens were implimented in MZ, but as a previous poster stated, whatever Bethesda says, goes, whether we like it or not. It does not, however, mean I cannot reject that reality and substitute my own. :confused:
jess hughes

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 am

Enclave encounters are easter eggs too. and merchant travellers too.

Aliens are cannon. You can get alien blaster from enclave oil rig and from normal travelling merchant in fallout 2.

Also fallout bible mentions alien crashes several times. (well atleast once)

those are not Easter eggs they are enclave partols any encounter with an enemy in the game is just that a patrol. Armys do partols they send people out to scout ahead. That is what encounter with the enclave are or with any other bad guys. Now if you encounter them sitting at a table in dresses drinking tea then yes that would be a special encounter.

alien blaster on the rig that is an easter egg. nothing says its from space. Alien can me strange, unknown not of the norm. It can be so high tech that even the enclave can't figure it out making it alien to them.

there are encounters and then there is "special encounters". The "special encounter" are special because they are easter eggs a joke.
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:10 pm

HERE HERE, I really didn't like the way aliens were implimented in MZ, but as a previous poster stated, whatever Bethesda says, goes, whether we like it or not. It does not, however, mean I cannot reject that reality and substitute my own. :confused:

Yeah. I mean--until it's too hard to ignore, I'm just going to go ahead and pretend MZ never happened and enjoy the games for what they're worth as much as I can.

Edit: I'd also like to say that I find Barret's Floyd to be waaaay more canon. ;P
Jeff Tingler

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 am

Alien can me strange, unknown not of the norm. I can be so high tech that even the enclave can't figure it out making it alien to them.

Yeah, but in the context of this discussion and apparently Fallout, it means "alien" as in extraterrestrial lifeforms from outer-space that are coming to return Elvis.

I DEMAND THAT ELVIS BE RETURNED TO US IN A QUEST!!!
Melis Hristina

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion