Anyone else think the Legion is ridiculous?

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:32 am

You're right. Fallout 3 should have been about flying pigs and giant squirrels, continuity be damned, we wanted a Fallout 3 with nothing resembling the previous games! Then we'd have basked in the glory that felt nothing at all even slightly like a fallout game!

The enclave likes to think of itself as being the last remaining american government. Fallout 3 would have felt odd with some sort of other bad guy (see above :)). It had been like 10+ years since the last fallout game.

It would not have felt odd with any other Faction then the Enclave. You talk about continity with other games but FO2 has the Enclave being destroyed. FO3 had to come up with a half ass reason why they should be in DC and never explained why they have so many in DC or why they have the downgrade in armour.

New Vegas does not have the Enclave, we have new factions Caesar's Legion and it feel way more Fallout then FO3 IMO.
Steve Smith

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:05 am

Would Fans really have meshed with New Vegas if it had come first? I don't think so. I think the people that were fans of 1 and 2 wanted to visit the same content again to get back into the story. It would be WAY weird to all the sudden play a sequel 10+ years later and try to piece together the story of the old games. FO3 worked really well to get people interested in the Fallout universe again.

You need to put yourself in someone elses shoes for a minute!

You're a company and you're all also a big fan of the Fallout series, which is dead.

You decide to try to buy the license to it and succeed.

You, as a fan see: (not the creator or in any way related to the original creators of the original games) have to now do your best to work with someone elses storyline.

Ripping off would have been if they tried to do Van Buren. They (thankfully) left that untouched and the original creators got to re-create it into New Vegas.

You should be thankful to Bethesda for bringing new life to the Fallout games, otherwise you'd still be playing the demo of VB and wishing upon a star that'd never fall. Furthermore, without Fallout 3's engine, New Vegas could be radically different.

I say both games are fun and leave it at that. I'd also like to point out that J.E. SAWYER wasn't involved in Fallout 1 and 2 and was barely involved with VB, btw so New Vegas isn't -exactly- by the original creators entirely. *wink*

And? Chris Avellone was, If I wanted to recreate Fallout, I would just leave it the way it WAS, And no, Ripping off is using content already existed, You can't rip off what was'nt made, Oh, Fallout 3 was just awful, Yes, People would have meshed well if it came first, Because it's actually ORIGINAL, And you know what? A game thats actually RELATED to the first games would be great.
No Name

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:39 pm

It would not have felt odd with any other Faction then the Enclave. You talk about continity with other games but FO2 has the Enclave being destroyed. FO3 had to come up with a half ass reason why they should be in DC and never explained why they have so many in DC or why they have the downgrade in armour.

New Vegas does not have the Enclave, we have new factions Caesar's Legion and it feel way more Fallout then FO3 IMO.

Sure it would have. You say that now but you're talking out of your rear. If you booted up Fallout 3 for the first time and the bad guys are... I dunno... Italian mobsters or something, you'd be like ehhh... this is Fallout?

What do you really remember from FO1 and 2? I remember Mutants, Ghouls and THE ENCLAVE.

America isn't THAT big of a place that there can't be Enclave (which have flying vehicles) in more than one state.
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:07 am

Would Fans really have meshed with New Vegas if it had come first? I don't think so. I think the people that were fans of 1 and 2 wanted to visit the same content again to get back into the story. It would be WAY weird to all the sudden play a sequel 10+ years later and try to piece together the story of the old games. FO3 worked really well to get people interested in the Fallout universe again.

You need to put yourself in someone elses shoes for a minute!

You're a company and you're all also a big fan of the Fallout series, which is dead.

You decide to try to buy the license to it and succeed.

You, as a fan see: (not the creator or in any way related to the original creators of the original games) have to now do your best to work with someone elses storyline.

Ripping off would have been if they tried to do Van Buren. They (thankfully) left that untouched and the original creators got to re-create it into New Vegas.

I would have loved FO New Vegas to have been FO3. In away I am glad Beth made their FO3 because they made so many mistakes, New Vegas is their way of learn how to do it right. Obisidian made it yes but beth had to ok everything which means they are ok with the changes.

Fallout may have been "dead" but is alive in the hearts of thousands plus :D (millions)

New Vegas was made my people that worked on FO1, FO2 and Van Buren.

Van Buren could not have been made thanks to Beth. They jumped the timeline to far ahead for Van Buren to make sense. The Devs said so. So they re-worked some ideas that were to be in it but New Vegas is not their attemp at making Van Buren again the Devs said that.
Ann Church

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Enclave were not in Fallout, Only fallout 2, You seem to loooooove defending Failout 3, Failout 3 was a disaster, No one would have cared if it was different, Fallout 2 was almost entirely different from FO1, Aside from being related to the Vault Dweller and several of the same cities, all the factions were new and different.
abi

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Sure it would have. You say that now but you're talking out of your rear. If you booted up Fallout 3 for the first time and the bad guys are... I dunno... Italian mobsters or something, you'd be like ehhh... this is Fallout?

What do you really remember from FO1 and 2? I remember Mutants, Ghouls and THE ENCLAVE.

America isn't THAT big of a place that there can't be Enclave (which have flying vehicles) in more than one state.

I remember alot form FO1 and FO2 I still play them. Last I played them was a couple months ago. I have been playing them since the start. I enjoyed FO3 at the start but it soon started to bug me. No reputation systems, bad story, stupid followers, no damgae threshold and other problems.

Enclave are only in FO2 not FO1.
Carys

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:38 pm

And? Chris Avellone was, If I wanted to recreate Fallout, I would just leave it the way it WAS, And no, Ripping off is using content already existed, You can't rip off what was'nt made, Oh, Fallout 3 was just awful, Yes, People would have meshed well if it came first, Because it's actually ORIGINAL, And you know what? A game thats actually RELATED to the first games would be great.

And? was Chris Avellone Project Leader and Lead Designer of New Vegas? No he wasn't. SAWYER was which was known for neverwinter nights and icewind dale.

What I'm trying to get you to see is Fallout 3 was more of a fan-mod or fan-game than anything. When you play a mod to the old FO2 do you say "GEEEZ this is ripping FO off so much!" no you enjoy it (if it's good) and tell the author what a great job they did. I just wish the FO3 hate would stop already, this is the NV board. Go post in the FO3 forum if you want to complain about it.

*walks off shrugging*
Ashley Hill

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Your the person that brought it up, If your tired of it, Stop posting here.

Fan-Mod? I would'nt mind it if it was, But since its canon, Its a pile of [censored], I never said Avellone is the [censored] lead designer? But no, You can't read what I'm saying correctly, Avellone was attached to Fallout: New Vegas, Helped write some things, And other [censored].
KIng James

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 pm

There wasn't a GECK in FO1.

Yes how original of them to mash a Fallout 2 MacGuffin with a Fallout 1 theme.

Water wasn't purified either.

Well yeah it was you were just looking for different solutions to the same problem of contaminated water.

You needed a water purifying CHIP, completely two different things.

Yes just like how the Enclave's plan in Fallout 3 is to poison the water with the modified FEV instead of the air. Two completely different things.

Also, there isn't a super mutant VAT in FO3. Furthermore *rolls eyes* it's really not that far-fetched that an AMERICAN army would be involved in a retro-AMERICAN POST APOCALYPTIC SEQUEL IN WHICH THE PREVIOUS GAME HAD THEM.

Vault 87 I think it was? Considering the only possible ending to the previous game involved the utter destruction of the Enclave their sudden reappearance as a major antagonist on the other side of the country is a bit far-fetched.

I enjoyed both games. Sorry for the off-topic, I'm just tired of the ignorant FO3 hate because it wasn't made by the original 'doodz'.

There's nothing ignorant about the criticism Fallout 3's main plot gets.
D LOpez

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:55 am

Your the person that brought it up, If your tired of it, Stop posting here.

Fan-Mod? I would'nt mind it if it was, But since its canon, Its a pile of [censored], I never said Avellone is the [censored] lead designer? But no, You can't read what I'm saying correctly, Avellone was attached to Fallout: New Vegas, Helped write some things, And other [censored].

Um no, my first post was directly quoting yours which was making fun/complaining about FO3 in all capslock. FO3 was great tyvm and a lot of fun to play.

You're really disregarding that Sawyer (not your beloved Avellone) is the one who was in charge of the entire game design of NV...? And he wasn't a part of the old FO team ..
Brooks Hardison

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:30 am

Yes how original of them to mash a Fallout 2 MacGuffin with a Fallout 1 theme.

Well yeah it was you were just looking for different solutions to the same problem of contaminated water.

Yes just like how the Enclave's plan in Fallout 3 is to poison the water with the modified FEV instead of the air. Two completely different things.

Vault 87 I think it was? Considering the only possible ending to the previous game involved the utter destruction of the Enclave their sudden reappearance as a major antagonist on the other side of the country is a bit far-fetched.

There's nothing ignorant about the criticism Fallout 3's main plot gets.

Well I couldn't disagree more. When I think of a nuclear wasteland I think of water being a problem and it is in all the games... does that make it a bad plot element? I don't see why it would.

If anything I find NV doesn't feel like a Fallout game at all. Running around a cowboy world and playing card games while fighting roman soldiers just doesn't feel fallout-ish, the game is still fun though and I praise it for that.

About V87.. I guess there were VATS there but I didn't see any, just empty 'rooms' with failed experiments, I didn't see any giant VAT tanks for dipping people in. Mainly saw super mutants and enclave soldiers.. doesn't matter though. For all these people who seemed to hate FO3, they sure played through it pretty far..
Lucy

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:11 am

Calm down guys, no need to get the mods involved. :toughninja:
FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:50 am

Um no, my first post was directly quoting yours which was making fun/complaining about FO3 in all capslock. FO3 was great tyvm and a lot of fun to play.

You're really disregarding that Sawyer (not your beloved Avellone) is the one who was in charge of the entire game design of NV...? And he wasn't a part of the old FO team ..

My post was in reply to someone saying "Fallout 3 was original" or something, Chris Avellone was attached to Fallout 2, And designed New Reno, I'm not saying AVELLONE WAS THE MOTHER [censored] PERSON WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE GAME.

Avellone, Was also attached to Van Buren as the lead designer, after he left, J.E. was put in charge, Then he left.

EDIT: I played FO3 hoping they would have SOMETHING decent, But no.

Mothership Zeta was crap, Point Lookout was original, But was just straight down weird, Anchorage was pretty bad and linear, Broken Steel made everything horrible.
suzan

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 am

My post was in reply to someone saying "Fallout 3 was original" or something, Chris Avellone was attached to Fallout 2, And designed New Reno, I'm not saying AVELLONE WAS THE MOTHER [censored] PERSON WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE GAME.

If you could read correctly, Maybe you would know this.

Avellone, Was also attached to Van Buren as the lead designer, after he left, J.E. was put in charge, Then he left.

Mothership Zeta was crap, Point Lookout was original, But was just straight down weird, Anchorage was pretty bad and linear, Broken Steel made everything horrible.

My point stims from the fact that people like you are saying FO3 "stole" content from previous FO games but NV is "original" because it was designed by the "original team" But I'm trying to INFORM you that Sawyer is the LEAD DESIGNER OF NV. Not anyone from the old team, in other words... he calls the shots, not Brian Fargo, not Chris Avellone.

Why did you play FO3 so far if you hated it so much, btw? Seems to me you had fun if you stuck with it all the way to vault 87.
Dale Johnson

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:57 pm

My point stims from the fact that people like you are saying FO3 "stole" content from previous FO games but NV is "original" because it was designed by the "original team" But I'm trying to INFORM you that Sawyer is the LEAD DESIGNER OF NV. Not anyone from the old team, in other words... he calls the shots, not Brian Fargo, not Chris Avellone.

Why did you play FO3 so far if you hated it so much, btw? Seems to me you had fun if you stuck with it all the way to vault 87.

I just said, I was hoping the story would pick up, But nope.

I'm not saying its better because of the "Original" devs, But because the Features that were added again.

hardcoe Mode (New), DT, Companion Stories (New), Reputation, And etc.
:)Colleenn

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:33 am

Well I couldn't disagree more. When I think of a nuclear wasteland I think of water being a problem and it is in all the games... does that make it a bad plot element? I don't see why it would.

If anything I find NV doesn't feel like a Fallout game at all. Running around a cowboy world and playing card games while fighting roman soldiers just doesn't feel fallout-ish, the game is still fun though and I praise it for that.

About V87.. I guess there were VATS there but I didn't see any, just empty 'rooms' with failed experiments, I didn't see any giant VAT tanks for dipping people in. Mainly saw super mutants and enclave soldiers.. doesn't matter though. For all these people who seemed to hate FO3, they sure played through it pretty far..

Water was not Radioactive in FO1 and FO2 only in the Well in Vault City. FO2 has a card game it is tragic the gathering. FO3s super mutants are not the same as FO1 and FO2, Tactics or New Vegas. It clear to me that you did not play FO1 or FO2 if you did it was once and years ago. FO3 is missing so much, that's why Beth let Obsidian make New Vegas to they can get FO4 right! (Edit I can't say for sure that's why but I really hope so, Beths exploration and Obsidians everything else :D :fallout:
Sarah Bishop

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:02 am

I don't recall anyone saying anything about bad although generally recycling plots is pretty dull. You were claiming Fallout 3's focus on water purification was original because you didn't use a GECK to purify water in Fallout 1. Mashing a Fallout 2 item with a Fallout 1 goal (obtaining clean water) doesn't magically make it original.

What made Fallout 3 feel like a Fallout game? The Brotherhood? They're in New Vegas and actually like the original Brotherhood this time. The Enclave? They're in New Vegas. Wrecked cities to explore? You never did that in either original Fallout. The 50s theme? It was nothing like it is in Fallout 3 in the original games. Super Mutants? They're in New Vegas and actually resemble original super mutants. Ghouls? In New Vegas. The total absence of rebuilding and functioning communities? Hey that wasn't in the originals either. Vaults? They're in New Vegas.

I genuinely challenge you to find one element of the Fallout franchise that isn't also in New Vegas that Fallout 3 possesses. If you can't find one then how does it feel more like a Fallout game?

Oh so the fact that the FEV isn't in Vats makes a secret facility full of FEV churning out Super Mutants original?
laila hassan

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 am

You know what, I'm not going to continue this, It'll probably get this thread locked.
katie TWAVA

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Was that my post a while back ? Cos I was saying just the Legion were unoriginal imo, nothing to do with fallout 3. I haven't played fallout 1 or 2 so can't comment on all the random off topic stuff being brought up about it.
Neko Jenny

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:28 am

you guys are missing the point here. Caesar's legion is meant to literally be that, Caesar's legion, as in the one Julius marched to Rome to assert totaliatarian power. He is not meant to represent the repbulic as a whole, or th empire created thereafter. NCR is the Roman republic pre-Julius Caeasar, whereas the legion is Julius marching to capture Rome, subjugate the senate, and begin the militaristic dictatorship. According to his own words, what will be created when the Legion defeats NCR will be dissimilar to both factions, both presently and with respect to their historical counterparts. Once I had that conversation with Caesar, the whole thing made sense. I still disagreed, but I understood why there were no women allowed, etc., as in the ancient Roman army, these same practices were followed.

Of course, it's brilliant in that many of Caesar's practices are mirrored by the modern-day Taliban and other similar organization (the Saudi hegemony as well.)

I say kudos to Obsidian, it was very insightful, a nice deviation from "US is evil, and remnant US stuff (enclave) is evil, too"

That movie has been made one too many time.
Mariana

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 am

Granted, the military is the focus for Caesar's Legion. And since it seems that ALL the fighting takes place _only_ in the vicinity of Caesar, that's fine. But there MUST be a government back home, holding things together, balancing the Economy, providing Security empire-wide such that "caravans don't even need to hire mercenary escorts". That requires a level of organization that Can NOT be administered from an army on the move.

There's quite a bit of description about what happens to tribes that resist or comply with Caesar's "invitation" to join his empire. <behind the front lines? Whatever it is, it can NOT be under the direction and control of Caesar or his Legion. Ergo, there is a government. And all things considered, Caesar most likely modeled that after the Roman Republic when it was under a Dictator (himself).

I believe it is mentioned that Caesar only became Caesar about 20 years ago. From the get-go, he had but ONE tribe under his direction (the Blackfeet). Then over the next 20 years, he added 86 more tribes, which is somewhat more than 4 tribes a year. How long would it take to assimilate a tribe into "the Legion way"? It certainly doesn't happen over night. For one thing, it takes at least a year for the newly "recruited" (decimated) tribals just to learn the common language of the empire. And you have to recall that if anything, those tribals have damn good reason to thoroughly HATE the Legion. (Butchered friends and relatives, destroyed homes, enslavement, et al.) How do you go from unmitigated hatred of the empire that violently wrenched everything you love from you, to becoming a fight-to-the-death fanatic in support of the empire.

The ONLY answer I can envision, is deus ex machina: Because the scriptwriter wrote it that way, because doing so made _his_ task easier. There is no foundation in history or Reality. Examples of such fanaticism, yes. But NOTHING that would account for _everyone_ fighting to the death.
Katie Samuel

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:52 am

World history in the Fallout world was exactly the same as in reality up to the end of World War II, which is where it started gradually diverging from real history.

Caesar is the one who's wrong about Rome, Roman history wasn't different in the Fallout world.

And, did you ever hear about the signing of the constitution at rivet city? There are going to be mistakes.
leni

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:31 am

The pros and cons of the realism of the Legion can be debated back and forth all day. What I consider to be appallingly absent is that NOBODY surrenders, ever (except Pilus). There's no arguing that the core groups may be "fight to the last man" fanatical: Mongols Golden Horde, Persian Immortals, Roman Praetorians, French Old Guard, etc. Those are elite troops, chosen and trained for just that kind of dedication. However, _elite_ troops generally accounted for less than 10% of the large numbers of troops that an army will field. Of the remaining 90%, sure, many might be intimidated by the consequences of a _failed_ surrender attempt. That is, "What happens if our guys _actually_ win?" Or failing to be "aggressive enough", at which point the Soviet NKVD troops WILL machinegun any soldiers that try to retreat, or Prussian sergeants stick a pike in anyone that falters.

When all is said and done though, MOST people actually want to live. If the ONLY tactic an army employs is "Banzai!", the grunts will start to realize that "Following orders WILL get me killed, sooner or later." As a result, throughout history, EVERY army has been plagued with desertion and had many soldiers surrender rather than die fighting. Even Imperial Japanese and SS troopers have been known to surrender. So suggesting that out of the entire Legion army, spread out all along the Colorado River and committed in 2- to 4-man units, a significant number WOULD take the opportunity to surrender rather than continue fighting a losing engagement. And all the NCR would have to do to ensure that the Legion failed would be to plaster the front lines with leaflets that read, "Surrender now and start a new life in the NCR!" Between desertions and plummeting morale as the Legion clamps down on Security HARD (decimation, etc.), the NCR would be hard pressed processing the flood of surrendering POWs.

If you read any ancient literature, to die by your enemy in any way is a great thing to happen, if they are really doing roman they want to die in a glorious way. We today generally think of individuals rather than a whole.
James Potter

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 am

There are several obvious examples in History upon which Caesar's Legion is based, the Roman Empire being the obvious one. There are also the Aztecs, The Persians, the Mongols, the Zulus, the Napoleonic French Empire, etc. All of them were militarily aggressive empires that would conquer neighbors, and then draft the conquered nation's military forces into its own army. However, in FNV all legionaries are shown to be suicidally committed to the Legion. This is contrary to actual History, where it has been demonstrated time and time again that draftees for the most part do NOT willingly throw their lives away just because their new masters command it. Most conscripted nations usually just "go through the motions" and when confronted by pointedly capable opponents, surrender at that first opportunity.

Soldiers of the core nationality -- Romans, Mongols, Persians, etc. -- often fought as fanatics, to the death. Not so the draftees from conquered nations/empires/tribes.

Additionally, the Legion is portrayed as VERY hostile towards the use of higher tech weapons (which makes them futuristic Luddites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite). In terms of domestic production, that might be acceptable, but certainly NOT when facing opponents armed with Space Age weapons. The Aztecs disintegrated when facing off with the Spaniards armed with a few score matchlocks, a couple cannon, and a handful of horses. Legionaries armed with machetes, some slug-throwers, and a few laser rifles would literally melt under the attention of a squad of Brothers armed with Gatling lasers. Furthermore, the Legion soldiers would KNOW that outcome was inevitable. There's nothing soldiers hate more than the thought that their lives are being literally thrown away with no hope of success. The leaders' staunch refusal to use readily available superior weapons would definitely de-motivate the rank-and-file Legion grunts.

Lastly, Caesar MUST realize that his mighty empire is doomed to disintegrate as soon as he dies. He's obviously enough of a historian to recognize the similarity to the Macedonian Empire, and what became of it when Alexander died. Knowing that without him, there is NO unifying force to hold all those defeated tribes together, one wonders what made him think that the cost of all that death and destruction was a worthwhile investment. If he did believe it to be so, just _what_ was it that made it worthwhile?

Well, maybe it's kind of like a religion you know? People are suicidally committed to those

(not trying to turn this into a religious debate or derail thread, pointless to argue about that sort of thing)
Ria dell

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:10 am

Suddenly, this thread brings back FO3 from the grave again. I thought this thread is about not liking the Legion as an idea or concept. :huh:

Anyway, I feel that the Legion and Taliban are alike. Both are ruled by men. Both discrimate and degrade women. Both uses "arcanic" weapons. Even though Legion are like Taliban, I still don't like how it ended up as one of main fraction in NV. But that's just me. :)
lydia nekongo

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas