Anyone else think the Legion is ridiculous?

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:58 am

I find the legion's avoidance of modern technology ridiculous. The things that made the Roman armies successful was their discipline, tactics and advanced military technology. If they conquered someone with better technology they adopted it (e.g. Chain Mail from the Gauls). Caesar even states they eschew medical technology (apart from his auto-doc for favoured people). Roman armies had highly skilled battlefield surgeons. Relying on hoards of suicidal fanatics won't win any battles against an organised opposition with better firepower. The Legion just wouldn't be a credible threat to anyone, particularly the NCR.
Miguel

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:58 am

I find the legion's avoidance of modern technology ridiculous. The things that made the Roman armies successful was their discipline, tactics and advanced military technology. If they conquered someone with better technology they adopted it (e.g. Chain Mail from the Gauls). Caesar even states they eschew medical technology (apart from his auto-doc for favoured people). Roman armies had highly skilled battlefield surgeons. Relying on hoards of suicidal fanatics won't win any battles against an organised opposition with better firepower. The Legion just wouldn't be a credible threat to anyone, particularly the NCR.

Well, there must be a reason that the NCR looks at the Legion like a "threat", and yet there is no total proof that the NCR alone can win against the Legion, they should thank the Desert Rangers too
helen buchan

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 am

Yeah, strongly agree.

I hope people make enough noise to let them know that it was such a bad idea to make the Legion the main antagonist so that they'll create a brand new main antagonist (with much higher tech of course!) in the forthcoming DLCs. Gotta pray and wait for it....
Prue

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:22 am

Just something I've posted http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1147247-factions-you-would-like-to-see-in-fallout-4/page__st__40

Do you mean they should have been a Roman version along these lines?

The Spartans
In many cases identical to ancient Sparta, meaning they are a militaristic and agricultural faction. They also try not to waste anything (like their http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_soup. As a result their faction unique weapons do more damage, are slightly more accurate and are more durable but suffer from a lower firing rate and are more expensive. While you might think they're similar to the Legion they are very different, because

Weapons that are unique to their faction
Minihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS, uses 5mm ammo, repairs with minigun. Possibly with a 20mm Phalanx as unusable static defense eyecandy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartarus or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixion, uses flamer fuel, repairs with flamer/incinerator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastraphetes, uses MF Cells, repairs with Plasma Rifle like http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster
Herakles power fist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dory_(spear), repairs with thermic lance

Just to name a few weapons, IMO, they could use a normal rifle as well, but I haven't been able to find anything. Instead of the vertibird they use the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lambda-class_T-4a_shuttle for transportation, but IMO it has to lose the tail, so it look more like an upsidedown V, maybe make it a crossover between the SW shuttle and http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Klingon_Bird-of-Prey.jpg, but IMO the latter one Should have the wings in a more downward angle.

Dean Brown

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:36 am

Yeah, strongly agree.

I hope people make enough noise to let them know that it was such a bad idea to make the Legion the main antagonist so that they'll create a brand new main antagonist (with much higher tech of course!) in the forthcoming DLCs. Gotta pray and wait for it....

Not gonna happen, the Legion isnt even the antagonist of the game,not the NCR, not House,not Yes Man, not the Khans or the Master Remnants

AND not all of us believe that was a bad idea, the Legion was developed even before Fallout 3, in the canceled Fallout 3
Miss Hayley

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:36 am

Not gonna happen, the Legion isnt even the antagonist of the game,not the NCR, not House,not Yes Man, not the Khans or the Master Remnants

AND not all of us believe that was a bad idea, the Legion was developed even before Fallout 3, in the canceled Fallout 3

Oh yes, thank you. You reminded me. It was "Benny" but he was shortlived. Or was there a higher power behind Benny to caused him to shoot the Courier and take the chip?

Anyway, I just hope we don't need to deal with the Legion anymore in the upcoming DLCs.
His Bella

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 am

Op, you're reading far into this, Caesars Legion is not meant to be strictly Roman Empire clone, it's merely an identity that Caesar chose to strip each tribe of it's individual tribal identities and have one sole uniform identity.
Joie Perez

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:50 am

Oh yes, thank you. You reminded me. It was "Benny" but he was shortlived. Or was there a higher power behind Benny to caused him to shoot the Courier and take the chip?

Anyway, I just hope we don't need to deal with the Legion anymore in the upcoming DLCs.

They are the main threat of the NCR, so, we cant expect less Legion at this point, there some things that they need to explain yet too, like the Burned Man

i personally like the Legion, so personally i expect more sidequest for them
Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:49 pm

They are the main threat of the NCR, so, we cant expect less Legion at this point, there some things that they need to explain yet too, like the Burned Man

i personally like the Legion, so personally i expect more sidequest for them

Yeah, sidequests from them would be nice but not main one hopefully. I would like the main quests to be about dealing with whoever is behind Benny's actions because that should be the main story - The Courier.
e.Double

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:09 am

It's quite in keeping with history. Woman were taken as "wives", the advlt men and aged were killed and the children were indoctrinated.
Danial Zachery

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:24 am

Romans didn't fight fanatically. They were scared of their usually savage adversaries...the gauls, germanians and various other barbarian tribes. They won their battles because of superior battlefield tactics, formations and weaponry. They would stand side by side, shields almost completely covering their bodies, forming a moving wall, push back their enemies and systematically strike out to stab, protected by shields. This is coming after a barrage of ballistic attacks and throwing their pilum which would destroy enemy shields leaving them with only their weapons. Non- romans fought as auxillaries and rarely did they achieve any higher status until later in the empire's life span.
Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Yes, the Legion is absolutely ridiculous, as the question is posed. Seriously, how many hours after the "Legion" left would it take for ANY subjugated "tribe", settlement, or other group of people in the wasteland as we know it to rise up against their tormentors? Hours is probably a bit generous, especially since even crossing the wrong road will get you attacked in some places...

If the question was posed: "Given 9 foot tall Grandmas with Tourrette's, killer lizards, rattlesnake coyotes, over-abundance of people with ambiguous (at best) mating preferences, and a "terminator" like mailman/woman who survived 2 bullets in the head, is the Legion ridiculous?" the answer would be:"No."
Max Van Morrison

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:55 am

I don't like the Legion aesthetically. If anyone ever creates a quality mod that gives the faction a complete facelift (retextured modern armor, modern weapons, etc), I'll certainly use it and may even play a Legion allied runthrough. But I can't stop myself from shooting these guys on sight as they are. :tongue:
Adam Kriner

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:55 am

Iam the only here who support the Legion? :bowdown:

And support a DLC purely based on them??? :bowdown: :bowdown:

And the Burned Man???? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Rob Smith

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:07 pm

But I can't stop myself from shooting these guys on sight as they are. :tongue:

I know what you mean. Everytime i see one, my gun just goes off. I'm not pulling the trigger consiously, it just happens :D
Carlos Rojas

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:43 am

I support them in SOME ways, And I am not a mindless husk, I plan on killing people in Cottonwood and then joining them when my rep is reset.

:spotted owl:
Matthew Warren

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Well I can conceive of a (small) faction modeled like the Legion, but at most I would expect it to have expanded to include 10 tribes at most. thereafter, outward expansion would have been halted while the controlling group suppresses one rebellion after another.

Modeling after religious-type fanaticism yields something like the Mahdi's army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ahmad) [best known from the movie "Khartoum"]. LOTS of fanatics, but even then they had desertions and turncoats. Such movements inevitably burn themselves out when the charismatic leader dies, and a patchwork of kingdoms remain under the control of the leader's former commanders. (Macedonian Empire after Alexander died; the waves of Muslim jihads that swept across North Africa and Spain; etc.)

Either way you consider it (military or religious), I would expect that in subsequent chapters of the Fallout mythos, Caesar's Legion to have fragmented and the individual pieces no longer posing a major threat to any other _solid_ faction, such as the NCR, Brotherhood of Steel, etc. Just a bunch of petty Legionaire States about which travelers are told "You don't want to go there."
Erin S

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 am

Support Legion, check.

Support DLC purely based on them, check.

Burned Man, check.

Yeah I think it's safe to say I'm a Legion fangirl. :)
Ian White

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Yes, the Legion is absolutely ridiculous, as the question is posed. Seriously, how many hours after the "Legion" left would it take for ANY subjugated "tribe", settlement, or other group of people in the wasteland as we know it to rise up against their tormentors? Hours is probably a bit generous, especially since even crossing the wrong road will get you attacked in some places...

If the question was posed: "Given 9 foot tall Grandmas with Tourrette's, killer lizards, rattlesnake coyotes, over-abundance of people with ambiguous (at best) mating preferences, and a "terminator" like mailman/woman who survived 2 bullets in the head, is the Legion ridiculous?" the answer would be:"No."

Subjugated tribes consist of women in slavery, and children. Who is left to rebel?
Nicole Kraus

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:31 am

I have a feeling people would like it if that cliche terrible Mad Max heavy metal 1980s anarchist raider look people would love it. I honestly like CL in terms of design because its not expected, and yet their identity serves a purpose, and their identity is not 'just cause we said so'
Gracie Dugdale

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:29 am

I have a feeling people would like it if that cliche terrible Mad Max heavy metal 1980s anarchist raider look people would love it. I honestly like CL in terms of design because its not expected, and yet their identity serves a purpose, and their identity is not 'just cause we said so'

Well I kind of expected CL from Van Burens design documents but..
eh.
matt oneil

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Since Benny was cooling his heels at the Fort, I would not be surprised if it was Caesar that was behind Benny and his plots. His tendrils were all over the strip and New Vegas. Chaos and instability is key to Caesar achieving his aims.
Angela Woods

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 am

This.

Some people see the Caesar Legion like slavers, but they are more than that, they are not Metzger slavers, they are not Eulogy slavers, they are the Cesar Legion.
They want to form a empire, not enslave every stupid tribal or wasteland wanderer, yes the crucified people, but in a Gray world, even evil has his standards.
Strawberry

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:13 am

Since Benny was cooling his heels at the Fort, I would not be surprised if it was Caesar that was behind Benny and his plots. His tendrils were all over the strip and New Vegas. Chaos and instability is key to Caesar achieving his aims.

He conned a Follower into creating Yes-Man, and the plan seemed to be based on what Yes-Man was able to get from House's network. Benny had to go to the Fort to execute his plan because the Securitron Army was there. It's possible Caesar was manipulating him somehow, but all evidence points to him thinking his plan was going to make him the ruler of New Vegas, if not the Mojave. I haven't seen any sign so far of Caesar being in contact with Benny or the Chairmen like with the Omertas...is there something?
Joe Alvarado

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:18 am

This.

Some people see the Caesar Legion like slavers, but they are more than that, they are not Metzger slavers, they are not Eulogy slavers, they are the Cesar Legion.
They want to form a empire, not enslave every stupid tribal or wasteland wanderer, yes the crucified people, but in a Gray world, even evil has his standards.

Then why do they enslave like half of the Mojave if you choose to help them?
Robert Jr

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas