Are you hoping they'll keep dragons to a minimum?

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I want aerial battles on cliff racers against dragons. That'd be epic. Pretty unlikely, but epic.
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:25 am

I want them to be limited to rare plot-elements. Badass, powerful enemies that you get to kill maybe three times in the game. They should be leveling cities when you do bring them down, though.

Maybe a couple of Lair-Raids?
Austin Suggs

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I want aerial battles on cliff racers against dragons. That'd be epic. Pretty unlikely, but epic.

XD

Aren't there Akavari trying to become dragons IIRC?
Lawrence Armijo

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:01 pm

When I think about the epic final fight of "Dragon Ages Origins", I think that we should have a lot of fights with dragons.

Some with low level ones that we can finally handle ourselves, when sufficiently grown in power.

Others with high level ones and one final with the king of them, that we have to prepare beforehand with some help from other places, like companions, factions and so on...
Sista Sila

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:19 pm

I would say maybe 5 dragons at most all being supreme bosses for different stages in the main quest.

Also I would say maybe have them in different Dragon lore friendly settings, one on top of a tall mountain, one in a deep cave and so on.

But Although I would say "BRING EM ON!!!!!" This time I would say make them extremely hard and a fantastic fight maybe you have to lore them somewhere you set a trap or something similar and keep the count extremely low as I said 1-5 would be fantastic!!

(I hope Bethesda reads all these topics to help them decide on critical Game Design decisions)
katie TWAVA

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:28 pm

I wanna have to fight dragons every single time I go to the bathroom
thats what I want
Veronica Martinez

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 am

Medieval like era, knights, wizards, magic, etc...dragons is a no brainer. I can't believe they didn't have dragons in Oblivion IV. Hell yes I hope there are dragons I mean they fit this game world more than any other game or creature out there. This was probably my #1 wish for the next Elder Scrolls. Think of all the cool quests they could make. Going to the classic dark wet cave atop the highest mountain to slay the evil fire breathing dragon or to tame it so you can fly around on it. Depending on what Bethesda's engine is like (if it's been upgraded or overhauled since FO Vegas) then it would probably work really well without any bad framerates. I mean anytime you have an avatar moving really fast covering lots of terrain or "space" in a games skybox it usually causes framerate issues unless the engine is designed well. The current FO Vegas engine could not handle it, flying around on a dragon or having lots of them in the sky would cause lots of loading screen times and framerate issues. I hope the engine is new or overhauled for Skyrim.
I've been playing Oblivion off and on for the past four years and I still have 20% of the main quest to finish lol and KOTN! Imean this is my most favorite game ever period simply because of the length and depth of quests.

I thought I would never see another Elder Scrolls again thanks to FallOut cough...garbage.
I hope Skyrim isn't as short as the Fallout games. Skyrim is pretty small compared to Cyrodiil though, I mean like 75% smaller.

Can't wait though and yes yes yes I hope they have dragons and I hope they play a central role in the story.
Emily Shackleton

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 am

What's with all the strange topic pairings? Dragons and lighting?

I'd prefer to never see any dragons at all, and not even for the commonly cited lore reasons. I find them boring to begin with, being an incredibly common cliche (why not make us rescue a princess from them while we're at it), and I don't see the combat system as being very able to handle a well-done fight with one. I can't really think of any other games that do it well either, essentially making them the same as any other fight, but with flailing your weapons at a larger enemy model. That or something excessively cinematic like a God of War fight, which I certainly don't expect to fit into the engine.

I'd love for the lighting to be darker, I found the past games to be almost frustratingly bright. Torches and lamps and light spells abound, and I have never once used any of them.
Lori Joe

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:02 pm

So basically I've been looking at other forums for this game and see a lot of people freaking about dragons and other things. It's obvious a lot of them aren't as quite into the lore as many of us here so it seems like they expect Betheseda to throw them down left and right. How do you guys feel about possible seeing them in Skyrim? I personally hope they keep it to a minimum or don't include any at all. We got a glimpse of one at the end of Oblivion and if they throw more in Skyrim then I feel like it's going to kill the appeal and mystery behind them especially since the Elder Scrolls rarely focuses on them to begin with.

In regards to the lighting I found it very unnatural and annoying as it made everything looked like I took out my camera and started using flash in broad daylight.
Yes I'm quite interested but keep em subtle like something you actually have to look for. Not like those push over Behemoths from FO3.
Jeremy Kenney

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:55 pm

I see dragons like the Akatosh Mount mod. Instead of levitation.

Would you bend over and let someone ride on your back everywhere as you crawled on all 4 ? Even more so if you were more intelligent than your rider and could rip your rider apart, chew him up and spit his intestines along with a ball of fire ?

I most certainly hope there will be no dragon "mounts" and I hope there will only be maybe 2 dragons, 3 at max, best of all would be just 1 dragon but the teaser said "they have returned" they being a plural word and not a singular, so there must be at least 2 dragons.

Oh and yeah the lighting should be darker, after all if we need light we got spells and torches, and in terms of realism there should be caves around that are pitch black, maybe there would be no animals or goblins or anything in those caves since they would perhaps require at least a tiny bit of lighting, but there could be old underground tombs for example with braziers that went out long ago that could be haunted by ghosts that don′t care for any light, really I′d be interested in a pitch black dungeon. But of course there should be way less of those than caves with fires burning inside of them or cracks in the ceiling that let in light and such, places where we could find cave bears and goblins or other alike creatures.
Dalia

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

spoilered for safety

Spoiler
(why not make us rescue a princess from them while we're at it)

Don't even mention it
...!..

Nicholas

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 pm

I'd love to see dragons, but I don't want one waiting behind every corner. It seems everybody is going crazy about dragons destroying the world... first WoW, and now TES!

And I'd also like darker lighting too. Oblivion was much too bright.
Nicole Mark

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Keep the dragon's subtle. Dragon's in TES have been described as very powerful, very feared, and very respected. They shouldn't be throw away enemies, and neither should they always be enemies.
Bonnie Clyde

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:46 pm

I would say maybe 5 dragons at most all being supreme bosses for different stages in the main quest.

Also I would say maybe have them in different Dragon lore friendly settings, one on top of a tall mountain, one in a deep cave and so on.

But Although I would say "BRING EM ON!!!!!" This time I would say make them extremely hard and a fantastic fight maybe you have to lore them somewhere you set a trap or something similar and keep the count extremely low as I said 1-5 would be fantastic!!

(I hope Bethesda reads all these topics to help them decide on critical Game Design decisions)

I'm hoping it'll give them an excuse to put in a flying mechanic. Even if it's just levitation. Because it'd be epic to fight a dragon in the air instead of on the ground.
Dj Matty P

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:46 pm

I recall a Bethesda developer saying something about why there were never dragons in the game....perhaps it was emil pagliarulo , i'm not quite sure.

Anyways, he said something along the lines of " If we had dragons in the game, we wouldn't want to kill them. Dragons are too rare to be simply killed. "

I'll update this post, with a source as soon as I find it.
W E I R D

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Well of course, the trailer didn't force it down my throat ;)

Well, I'd be confused if it did. The dragon they showed could be the only dragon we'll have business with in the game. Doesn't instantly mean there will be as many dragons as gypsies.

I personally would like to see a couple of wild dragons, but I wouldn't like to be able to beat one unless I killed 50 gods and am one myself at lv 100 lol. But seriously, if there will be any wild ones, I expect to see them at the highest levels of the leveled creatures' list.

edit: and yeah as someone said already, if there will be some dragon boss fights I would like to see a need for some special strategy instead of running in and slashing them down, tho this hope of mine applies to all bosses or hardest/specific creatures.

As for the lighting, what lighting? You only saw a bloody one minute trailer and you're already talking about the game's lighting? :lmao:
Vera Maslar

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:41 am

IMO I'm not too big on the dragons

I know it's a fantasy game and I know dragons have appeared in past TES games but I wouldn't want them to be all over the place. I'd prefer it to be some optional unmarked sidequest boss that you have to go through the toughest most super difficult dungeon filled with the highest level monsters of the game and at the end of it there lies the dragon (since it's cliche already just add in the mountain of treasure and fair maiden that needs to be saved and you get to marry her afterward)

As far as lighting: You could always turn down the brightness though I guess that doesn't quite have the same effect. The other problem is games that have so low of lighting that you can't see a foot in front of your face. I find those games annoying and typically end up selling them because the lighting ruins the experience (especially when you get stuck in a particularly dark dungeon that takes you several hours to get out of despite being relatively small).
Skivs

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Forgot to mention the lighting, yes darker lighting would be very much appreciated I would love for my torch or lantern to actually have an effect on my surrounding.
Jade MacSpade

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:20 pm

I recall a Bethesda developer saying something about why there were never dragons in the game....perhaps it was emil pagliarulo , i'm not quite sure.

Anyways, he said something along the lines of " If we had dragons in the game, we wouldn't want to kill them. Dragons are too rare to be simply killed. "

I'll update this post, with a source as soon as I find it.

I recall one reason for large enemies not being in the game was the lack of technology to make them work correctly. Their hit boxes would have been huge, and thus, really, really awkward.
Meghan Terry

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:23 pm

If Dragons are really big versions of ordinary enemies with ordinary enemy AI, and the craptastic ordinary enemy "flying" (hovering), then I'd rather see none. On the other hand, if fighting dragons was really well done, sort of like Shadow of the Colossi or something, that would be cool.

And keep it dark. There's a reason people invented lightbulbs. Because without lightbulbs, it's really dark and spooky. And they haven't invented lightbulbs yet in Tamriel.
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:55 pm

As far as we know you might not even fight one at all, there could just be one little cut scene like they did in Oblivion.
All we can do is plead for Bethesda not to screw us again with cut scene dragons :D
Queen Bitch

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:38 pm

spoilered for safety

Spoiler

Don't even mention it
...!..

Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle!
michael flanigan

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Keep the dragon's subtle. Dragon's in TES have been described as very powerful, very feared, and very respected. They shouldn't be throw away enemies, and neither should they always be enemies.

I like the idea of dragons in TES canon as well as D&D canon. I think dragons would be epic but at the same time... if they are used to often, all the excitement of seeing one will disappear. They have the power to be an amazing plot driving tool and it would make for an epic story (and possibly sidequests) if the dragons were in two warring factions (like the metallic and chromatic dragons in D&D)
Zualett

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:54 pm

I am hoping for a more subdued atmosphere overall in TES V, a more forlorn feel, darker (atmosphere / feel, that is), grittier (and lighting is one of the major influences on mood / atmosphere / etc). I hope that dragons are kept subtle, and that the first encounter with one will cause a great deal of awe, and that they are rare enough not to cause general "meh"-ness. I am by no means saying the whole game has to have this forlorn feel, or it has to last forever, but having the mood shift as you play the game would really create nice immersion.
Jimmie Allen

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm not sure what people are talking about with dragons not fitting into the lore. I looked them up on UESP and not only is it clearly stated that they once thrived but the information suggests they may have been living in seclusion. Whatever the reason, there's plenty of room for the devs to not have to retcon them into existence.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragons
Jah Allen

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim