Are you hoping they'll keep dragons to a minimum?

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:20 pm

I'm not sure what people are talking about with dragons not fitting into the lore. I looked them up on UESP and not only is it clearly stated that they once thrived but the information suggests they may have been living in seclusion. Whatever the reason, there's plenty of room for the devs to not have to retcon them into existence.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragons

It more has to do with the LACK of dragons. The only dragon we've ever seen in a TES game was the one in Redguard, as far as I know. There were dragonlings in Daggerfall, but those are very young dragons, and thus, very stupid and prone to violence.

We just don't want dragons to be stupid cliches for killing and "being epic!™" As if 'epic' isn't the most overused word in fantasy gaming as it is...
Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:57 am

I would prefer the dragons be a bit subtle. Maybe have one show up every two to three hours when it comes to the main quest.

As for lighting.... I hope it's dark. And not just, "Lolcantsee.' but I mean more gloomy colors are used. Brown, Purple, Gray, you know... because as far as im concerned, the future of Tamriel is going to be very dark for some time since the Empire is supposedly collapsing.
Sunny Under

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Haven't you guys heard of cliff dragons? They'll be everywhere
Alberto Aguilera

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 am

Haven't you guys heard of cliff dragons? They'll be everywhere

:cold:
naomi

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:46 pm

The lack of dragons is one of the major reasons why I love Oblivion and the rest of the TES-series. I am tired of developers pumping their games full of big, scary evil-for-the-sake-of-evil dragons just for the sake of placing the game in the fantasy-genre. I don't want to run across dragons like they were minotaurs stalking the trade routes along the Red Ring Road.

Oy, dragon! Get out of my flower bed! :swear:
Taylor Tifany

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Well they have established that dragons will play a large role in the story, and in addition to that snow is white and reflects light. I think it would be a tad strange to have everything artificially dark in any case, especially so when there's likely snow in many or most areas. As to the dark/brown/devoid of color ideas no thank you. It's so typical for modern games to be bland to the point of being near gray scale. No thanks.
N3T4

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:05 am

I reserve judgement. I'm really interested to see what they do with them. I don't see them cropping up everywhere like wolves and bears did in Oblivion, or nix-hounds and scribs in Morrowind.

As for the lighting, I really hope they don't make anything unnecessarily dark. It's one of my pet hates in games. Just let me see what I'm bloody well doing.
Cedric Pearson

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:22 pm

Personally I think dragons are an awful cliche and I'm too excited about them flying lizards but as long as they don't make them too mundane and keep them kinda arcane-ish I can live with it. I do hope you don't get to fight dragons left and right.
Vicki Gunn

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Keep it subtle. I'm worried too many dragons could give a Cliff Racers feel.
Dan Scott

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:49 am

I hope we'll be able to learn Dragonish (like in Daggerfall) so we can have the capacity and opportunity to speak with them and befriend them.
mimi_lys

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the "return of the dragons" really are an Akaviri invasion. The symbol in the end of the teaser is identical to the Akaviri banner and some of the warriors on the stone wall had Blades armor. Blades armor are by Akavir design and it makes sense if the Akavir fear those who they've indirectly created.

My first post here, btw. The folks seems nice here. :wink:
Sheila Esmailka

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:52 am

I'd lke to see them off in the distance and hear their roar echo through the land.
chinadoll

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 pm

I want dragons and dark dungeons containing them!

To be honest it all starts to sound like Dragon Age... there are Dragons, you need to make a group to defeat them, and you defeat them (or him).

I hope it's not like that :S

But yea, I want dragons and darker places but still very original.
Justin Bywater

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:21 pm

If we end up fighting them in-game I hope their not just a damage sponge. Make them fly around a bit, to evade getting hit, but not a damage sponge please.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Maybe 1 or 2 awesome dragons, but I don't want dragons to be the new Oblivion gates.

Perhaps like how behemoths were implemented in FO3.
Kari Depp

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:26 pm

First, what is the point of combining two completely unrelated things into a single poll? Dragons and Lighting? Fish and Bicycles? Why do people insist on doing things like that? I don't give a hoot about lighting - there's a gamma/brightness setting in every 3D game made for the last 20 years. I just went in and adjusted the lighting down in my copies of MW and OB, then it was fine. I suppose it might be nice if there was more *range* of lighting - e.g. the one problem with turning down the gamma, so that dark areas are really dark, is that it tends to make bright areas not bright enough.

Anyhow, to the dragons, I really don't want to see more dragons. Dragons are the biggest cliche in fantasy movies, books, and games. It's just overdone. Come up with a new idea people! I've come to hate dragons because, they're really not that interesting anymore - they've been done, and done to death. Do something else. Come up with some other giant monsters. Some other ultimate threat. Get creative! What is the obsession with giant flying lizards, anyway?
kyle pinchen

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:26 pm

First, what is the point of combining two completely unrelated things into a single poll? Dragons and Lighting? Fish and Bicycles? Why do people insist on doing things like that? I don't give a hoot about lighting - there's a gamma/brightness setting in every #D game made for the last 20 years. I just went in and adjusted the lighting down in my copies of MW and OB, then it was fine. I suppose it might be nice if there was more *range* of lighting - e.g. the one problem with turning down the gamma, so that dark areas are really dark, is that it tends to make bright areas not bright enough.

Anyhow, to the dragons, I really don't want to see more dragons. Dragons are the biggest cliche in fantasy movies, books, and games. It's just overdone. Come up with a new idea people! I've come to hate dragons because, they're really not that interesting anymore - they've been done, and done to death. Do something else. Come up with some other giant monsters. Some other ultimate threat. Get creative! What is the obsession with giant flying lizards, anyway?

Well it's a bit late to complain about Dragon eh? xD
Unless there is a twisty end in which they find out that the dragons are not the real threat, but then it would be even more clicheish :P
Quick Draw

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:57 pm

TES games in the past have never been able to deal with large enemies very well. Of course, we got a new engine now and I guess the combat system will be quite different... Still, if we really are going to fight dragons I wonder how it's going to work.
Tiffany Castillo

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:21 am

I hope I won't see any dragons at all.

Aye, they are the signature of RP games but you don't have to put dragons in the game to use them. Why not use them in a subtler way? Mention them, create a certain atmosphere with them, use their infamy - or fame. Players don't have to fight on to feel that they are in a RP world. And to be honest, there are very few examples - if any - that could grasp the dragon idea and feeling right.

My opinion, I'd be a happier adventurer if I don't see a dragon at all. They are overdone.

So do something new guys and use dragons in a clever way.
Angela

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:43 am

So do something new guys and use dragons in a clever way.

I could imagine walking around in the snow drifts on a foggy morning and just seeing a faint silhouette of a dragon flying overhead, far up in the clouds - something to make you really feel uneasy and vulnerable. I think those sorts of things alone would be far more fulfilling than an actual fight.
m Gardner

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 pm

I voted for subtle and yes because I don't think dragons should be used over and over...it's a cliche but wouldn't mind seeing a couple. For example in DA O you only need to kill two dragons (as people usually think - huge beasts that breathe fire etc...) . As for the lightning yes...the world should be darker...besides torches and light spells have always been in game so just use them if you're afraid of the dark :spotted owl:
Heather beauchamp

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:15 pm

I hope you can slay them.
MatthewJontully

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:54 pm

I could imagine walking around in the snow drifts on a foggy morning and just seeing a faint silhouette of a dragon flying overhead, far up in the clouds - something to make you really feel uneasy and vulnerable. I think those sorts of things alone would be far more fulfilling than an actual fight.

I completely agree. Depth beats death.
Jerry Cox

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Give me a dark, scary world.
And make the dragon ecounters, TRULY special and breathtaking, and there should only be 1-3 IMO.
bimsy

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 am

We're inside the Dawn era and gods are walking Tamriel again. The dragons are representative of the gods, not literal, flying beasts. I hope.
I love YOu

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim