Are you hoping they'll keep dragons to a minimum?

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 pm

So basically I've been looking at other forums for this game and see a lot of people freaking about dragons and other things. It's obvious a lot of them aren't as quite into the lore as many of us here so it seems like they expect Betheseda to throw them down left and right. How do you guys feel about possible seeing them in Skyrim? I personally hope they keep it to a minimum or don't include any at all. We got a glimpse of one at the end of Oblivion and if they throw more in Skyrim then I feel like it's going to kill the appeal and mystery behind them especially since the Elder Scrolls rarely focuses on them to begin with.

In regards to the lighting I found it very unnatural and annoying as it made everything looked like I took out my camera and started using flash in broad daylight.
flora

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Well, I hope there won't be too many huge dragons.

But weren't those guys cute ?
[img]http://images.uesp.net//5/54/DaggerfallDragonling.gif[/img]
Josh Lozier

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:24 pm

I just wonder how we actually "fight" these dragons.

Hopefully, not all in cut scene form....
Mr. Ray

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:20 am

Dragons are cool...it's been a heavily requested creature since Morrowind. I hope they have huge screen filling dragons that you can't kill through normal means. I want destruction, bring it on! I read the lore often it seems like gamesas was hesitant about the use of them, but now that we see they have 'returned' I want Bethesda to go all out.
Prue

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:49 am

I just wonder how we actually "fight" these dragons.

Hopefully, not all in cut scene form....

no no it's not gonna be in cut scene form like Oblivion

this time it's gonna be a quicktime event :P
Roddy

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 am

Dragons always been around in the Elder Scrolls canon, although they're very reclusive and typically friendly in disguise as humans. When they aren't friendly, they're unbelievably powerful - Nafalilaargus basically laid waste to an entire Redguard navy on his own during Tiber Septim's military campaigns. I'm hoping they don't become overused in the game.

And yes, I think that the game needs much darker, subdued lighting. One thing that's been a major factor in the atmosphere of Daggerfall and Morrowind's dungeons is how little ambient light there is. Skyrim is a scary place - it's in the farthest reaches of Tamriel, and home to some of the most ancient creatures and manmade structures. I hope it'll feel very mysterious and lonely - near pitch black skies at night, as an example.
GabiiE Liiziiouz

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Change the first question to be less confusing...

Do you mean How often would you like to see dragons?
Alisia Lisha

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Change the first question to be less confusing...

Do you mean How often would you like to see dragons?

No I'm asking if you would be interested in seeing dragons in the game at all
Marion Geneste

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:42 pm

no no it's not gonna be in cut scene form like Oblivion

this time it's gonna be a quicktime event :P

Given the state of the gaming industry with consoles, I wont be surprised it if indeed comes down to that.
sophie

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Considering they'll probably be a major plot element we'll probably see only a couple, maybe the final boss and maybe an attack on a city, a quest into a dragon lair would really be the only excuse I see to fight a whole bunch at one time considering they were nearly driven extinct
barbara belmonte

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:09 am

Now you just can't say you want less of something you don't know about.
Maria Garcia

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:02 pm

I wouldent mind seeing them flying in the distance, hearing their thunderous roar or having a battle with some like in demon souls =]
Bitter End

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Well of course, the trailer didn't force it down my throat ;)
His Bella

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:22 pm

I always wanted super cliffracers ;)
Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:57 am

The answer should be obvious: A

If you don't see any dragon at all, there's no point in calling it Skyrim.

I mean, even the dang trailer shows off so many dragons

And no, for the love of Mara don't make it so dark. I know it's immersive, but there's a reason people invented lightbulbs, always seeing in the dark would hurt your eye. Also, if anything mountaintops are nothing but illuminated

There's no harm in making it slightly darker though :shrug:
Poetic Vice

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:48 am

agreed
Paula Rose

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 am

I don't see why it would matter what we want at this point, Bethesda seems to be adding them.
They will likely either be super-hard last boss type creatures, or enemies that you fight with a large group of people.

What I hope is that you encounter a dead dragon-worshiper type person, then guards swarm in and take you away, all during the opening cutscene. You then get out about six months later, and when you do it is because the prison you are in is under attack by these very people. When you get well away from the town, you meet some hunters who help you make your way back to civilization. You then search for answers or continue along your own path. After a while, the second town you visit will be ransacked, but this time, a very large fireball comes from the sky and finishes it off, somehow, you survive the fire and are saved by a witch, who proceeds to tell you what we heard in the teaser. You then proceed to try to take out the cult, but get attacked by a minor dragon, barely surviving. You then have to gather an army to fight a 10X stronger dragons and her 500 strong army of dragons.
James Hate

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:30 pm

I don't want them to overwhelm the game and turn the TES universe into generic fantasy, but they sound cool.
Svenja Hedrich

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm very interested in seeing the dragons. It sounds to me like they have a very important role to play in the story and I have faith that they'll fit into the lore properly. I'm guessing they're part of an invasion force an not native to any known regions of Tamriel. A horde of dragons being summoned by a god isn't too far fetched, if not entirely original.
Adrian Morales

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 pm

I see dragons like the Akatosh Mount mod. Instead of levitation.
Jade Muggeridge

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:02 am

And yes, I think that the game needs much darker, subdued lighting. One thing that's been a major factor in the atmosphere of Daggerfall and Morrowind's dungeons is how little ambient light there is. Skyrim is a scary place - it's in the farthest reaches of Tamriel, and home to some of the most ancient creatures and manmade structures. I hope it'll feel very mysterious and lonely - near pitch black skies at night, as an example.

These are pretty much my thoughts concerning lighting.

As for Dragons, I really hope they won't be overused. I think the Elder Scrolls have done fine without them. One or two Dragons would be fine, but having them as a common enemy would be too much.
James Smart

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:43 pm

The answer should be obvious: A

If you don't see any dragon at all, there's no point in calling it Skyrim.

I mean, even the dang trailer shows off so many dragons

And no, for the love of Mara don't make it so dark. I know it's immersive, but there's a reason people invented lightbulbs, always seeing in the dark would hurt your eye. Also, if anything mountaintops are nothing but illuminated

There's no harm in making it slightly darker though :shrug:

I think you misunderstand what I was saying :P. The lighting in Oblivion was just unnaturally bright to the point that walking up to someone with some armor would produce a really bright glare from the light reflecting of it. The same would also happen with buildings.
gandalf

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:25 pm

What's the point of having dragons in the lore then if they shouldn't be included?

Darker lightning is good though, I use a mod in Oblivion to make it less bright and colorful.
sam smith

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Yeah, since dragons is kind of the thing of TES V. I'm hoping they do keep it to a minimal, I don't want the number to be equivalent to an Oblivion Gate to the point anywhere I turn that I'm not in a city I find one.
For the lighting, make it as realistic as possible. Oblivion was too unrealistically bright
Darian Ennels

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:09 am

These are pretty much my thoughts concerning lighting.

As for Dragons, I really hope they won't be overused. I think the Elder Scrolls have done fine without them. One or two Dragons would be fine, but having them as a common enemy would be too much.

Agreed with the quote on lighting. I dont know how itll work in Skyrim, but I would expect it to be a little darker since especially at the northern most points of the map
Genevieve

Next

Return to V - Skyrim