Beth.net Relaunching with New Forum Software!

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:34 am

From Beth.net

Cartogriffi Employee Aug 1, 2016 11:06 AM

Hello everyone, this thread is for reporting problems with the current Jive forums. For a few reasons, we decided it was time for a new thread on this topic.

Chiefly, as noted here we are planning a full re-launch of the Bethesda.net forums with new software. For general suggestions on what you’d like to see on the Bethesda.net forums, please use that thread.

Hi everyone, we are currently working towards a full re-launch of the Bethesda.net forums with new software – an announcement we are excited to make, and one we’re sure many of you are equally thrilled to hear. We’re still in the early stages so our plans may change. Given how things have gone with these forums, we figured the early notice and increased awareness would be welcome.

We hope to have more news in the coming weeks, and are looking forward to discussing this with you. When these forums first launched, it was our announced intention to use community feedback to direct development. Unfortunately, because of unforeseen issues, there has been little to show on this front. We believe a fresh start will help get the forums back on track and ensure they help support our phenomenal community.

We started looking at alternatives a few months ago, but we haven't settled on replacement software yet. There’s some great options out there, but given how large and diverse this community is, finding the best fit has been difficult.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/67465

So everyone it looks like they have listened to our grunting and thrashing! Please contact members who have left and most importantly lend Beth a hand at Bethesda.net with some feedback!

Robert Garcia

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 am

Wonderful news. I look forward to seeing what we end up with. :) Thanks for posting this.

Matt Fletcher

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 am

Yes, this is great news. It took a year, but you finally made the right decision, Bethesda. :tops:

Campbell

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:24 am

This is good news. Not in the sense that I necessarily despise the latest forum effort, but in that we'll see a lot of old friends and good minds potentially stick around.

I'm still going to try to roll out a welcome mat thread eventually for the new software, if one's not already there. I want to see the same Skyrim faces back for the next game whenever it comes out.

I've gotta make sure I get my crack-pot theories and wild goose chases out there in the wild again, and I'll need everyone's help in doing so. :P
Tyrone Haywood

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:26 am

I hope the new software will allow them to transfer our usernames, join date and post counts to Bethesda.net now.

kennedy

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:09 am

Good news everyone!

Prisca Lacour

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:46 am

Just go with IPB, or even VB. IPB being the better option if you also consider porting these forums and its data over.

Can even go cheaper, get almost the same functionality(but have to download add-ons) and use PhpBB which is free.

There's probably more better-than-jive forum options out there, but I don't know of them. I think though it is the general consensus.. we don't want jive. It didn't work for us, and obviously now it's not working for the company.

Emily abigail Villarreal

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Ha Ha Ha! When you steal somebody's original post to post as your own you should at least remove my shorthand "Beth.net" and replace it with the proper Bethesda.net.

Myles

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Professor putricide?
Kevin Jay

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:58 am

Well, bugger me sideways. Didn't actually see this coming. Hopefully the new forums finally become practical to use, at current state they are rather abysmal.

Tessa Mullins

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:58 pm

:o

:banana:

Jonny

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:05 am

Same here :wacko:

Still not sure if I′m gonna go along with it as I′ve had problems even accessing Beth.net but we′ll see. At least a beacon (or bacon?) of hope has been lit :)

Annika Marziniak

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:15 am

Go to bethesda.net and tell them.

I copy pasted it because you pretty much did the same thing. I would say stealing is a bit harsh. Anyways beth.net isn't exclusive to you. I say it as well.

Other than that you do have my gratitude for bringing this to attention in another thread.
Lynne Hinton

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:45 am

I would just as soon see beth re-open the various forums RIGHT HERE, on software that already works, does what we need, and have them turn on image/media tags, and call it a day. No need to move/transfer/archive anything.

Alex [AK]

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:45 am

That's pretty sweet news. B)

Just when you think they aren't listening to you, they show that they have been. Damn you Bethesda...you toy with our emotions too much!!!! I swear, they are a bunch of Ramsay Bolton-level sadists :P

Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:05 am

I hope so too. *fingers crossed*

Kayla Oatney

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:57 am

Just for the sake of being the bad guy, no I wont.

Gill Mackin

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:59 pm

I did. The new forum is horrendous and even the moderators spoke out against it (I'm sure more in private, but a few public discourses were made).

I know why Bethesda chose the forum structure, but they didn't count on proprietary software actually being designed for a community.

Lesson learned, the hard way.

Now, let's just hope they don't use other comment systems, mostly found on news sites.

Cameron Wood

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:09 am

Disqus is awesome, it crashes on Firefox mobile all the time.
мistrєss

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:22 am

no damn "like this post" option!

we don't want a social network, some myfacetweetogle+ knock off, we want discussion forums..

"like this" on discussion forums never work, it hinders open discussion (by making people "like pandering") and only serves to divide the community further and make those with opinions diffetring from the masses less likely to want to post their view on a subject (you should have seen the hate on the old Sims 2 BBS that struck because of "like this post" options it just doesn't work for making an open discussion forum a welcoming and enjoyable place.. even if such a system is implimented with the best intentions, the masses will only use it for the worst)..

that sort of negates the stance most of us have taken.. that we won't post there until it becomes the kind of place we want to be a part of, which it isn't yet..

if they are really paying someone to read our suggestions, they can read those on both sites..

after all, going "we know you don't like this site, but we will only listen to what you have to say if you post on it, HAHA!" when as fractured as this community is it still has more active users then they do over there, would be the single worst PR gesture i have seen in years..

Laura Ellaby

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:10 am

Posted this on the other, inferior forums a little while ago. These are my thoughts on the subject.

And no I do not want a like button for the new forums. The helpful/not helpful button doesn't bother me as much, but I wouldn't cry if it were left out as well.

CxvIII

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Life is strange: BioWare is closing down their forums for good, presenting its numerous fans the lame excuse that the "new social media" is enough communication for them, while Bethesda is trying to adjust to fans criticism and remake the new forums. Kudos to you guys, I'll be back!

Oceavision

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:14 am

After being offline for some time, this was a pleasant surprised to read upon my return.

Thank you for listening Bethesda. My threats of leaving can now be ignored. :) (Assuming the new software is the polar opposite to Jive!!)

Stu Clarke

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 pm

Just PM DarkOne and ask him how it's done. :P

On a more serious note I hope the moderators on the new launch site actually get the power to perma-ban mod thieves. It's shameful they get nothing more than a slap on the wrist, talk about give the green light to stealing while taking a dump on mod authors.

Katie Pollard

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:40 am

While I understand your stance on the subject it's poorly placed in my opinion. Bethesda has straight up said they are not looking for feedback here. So any of the wonderful ideas you have will fall on deaf ears because you don't want to play by the rules. Your only limiting the outcome due to shear stubborness. I hate the new forums but if I knew half of what some of you guys know about forum software and interfacing you bet your sweet ass I'd be over there trying to shape it when given the opportunity to do so. We saw what happened when they made the choice on their own, why would you forsake a community you supposedly love when you're given a chance to make it better? Maybe I'm just more passionate about it?
Juanita Hernandez

Next

Return to Othor Games