Bye Bye Pewtie Pie

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 am

Never cared for him or the videos he made because he tends to cuss a lot. I don't care about cussing but when there's cuss words in almost every sentence it starts to get annoying. I've watched Markiplier back before he started to become famous and I've noticed he's started to change where he cusses a lot more now than when he first started out. Fame can change people for better or worse, I guess. :/

Melis Hristina

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:34 am

I'm not a fan of PerwDiePie whatsoever. I am a fan of "prove it!" Who cares if he is offensive? I think Richard Pryor and Kathy whats-her-redhead-name is offensive. Know what? I don't listen to them. The fact that this newspaper (Washington Post) sent letters to both YouTube AND Disney is outrageous! They did not just write a poorly backed article, THEY SENT LETTERS! This proves intent: Censor PewDiePie.

Some of these arguments are just as outrageous: Big Name comedians can, small names can NOT. Double Standard much?

Danii Brown

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:35 pm

I only know him from a Southpark Episode. He must be doing something right to be making that kind of cash, haha.

Peter P Canning

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:02 pm

I think that this is what irks me the most on the whole matter. Righteous indignation having the power to ruin someone's life. Like the above post, I do not know if he deserved to lose his job.

But there is just way too much "he said the wrong word so let's destroy him" mentality in today's society. It's almost like if someone wants free speech they are automatically a bad person.

If a celebrity is offensive just don't listen to them. It's that simple.

Edited because I cannot type my way out of a wet paper bag.
danni Marchant

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:39 am

I read about this story when it broke, and in spite of my overall contempt for Pewdiepie and his MILLIONS of dollars, I don't see how he has done something worse than others.

I have no desire to pursue a religious argument here, but if Pewdiepie had made jokes about historical genocides of Christians or Muslims, would we even be having this discussion?

Food for thought.

Javaun Thompson

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 am

I just watched half the Sargon video (all I had time for, will finish later) I think he's making some valid points and Felix should press charges where possible.
Connie Thomas

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 am

Sorry you had to deal with that BS. :(

But:

I know this may be splitting hairs for some but I think you mean boneheads! What real (meaning non-racist!) skinheads call the racists. Thanks to media, some see all skinheads as racist when it simply is not true. The original skins where of mixed races and were just working class people who enjoyed Ska/Punk music but the boneheads got the media coverage in the 80's and corrupted the name skinhead!

Sorry, but this is just a pet peeve of mine and I had to comment. It's like saying all Germans were Nazi's when that too is simply not true.

(Nothing personal!)
FABIAN RUIZ

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 am

I believe Gavin McInnes made a point about this on Rebel Media.

Jesus Duran

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Hurr hurr freedom of expression without consequences... Is all I see that people want.

Reminds me of that guy from Man vs Food being fired for losing weight and being heckled by SJW.
Laura

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Words can never do any real harm, only actions can. If we begin to silence people we're going down a slippery slope. We have already seen censorship being rolled out on facebook and other places.

"In order to find out who your master is, simply find out who you can't criticise"

neen

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:28 pm

What would Adolf Hitler or Lenin or Mao have been without words?

This isn't censorship or political correctness, its a commercial decision made by a broadcaster who don't want adverse publicity or to offend a segment of their customer base, nothing new.

!beef

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:51 am

Words can influence, yes. But never do any harm by themselves.

Sabrina garzotto

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 pm

The way I see it is it's the same as TV. You can't say certain things and you can't show certain stuff on TV, so why is it so bad that Disney decided they didn't like what he was saying? He still has his channel and can still say whatever he wants to on there.

(P.S. I don't know to much about this situation so if I have some incorrect information feel free to tell me so)

ladyflames

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Nor do guns, drugs or toxic chemicals but most of us accept controls on all of those.

Still the point remains hes not being censored, just Disney decided they didn't want to be associated with him.

Pawel Platek

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Yea, the reporters had no intention of "censoring" his YouTube channel. That must be why they wrote letters to Disney and YouTube, complaining about what someone "said", NOT did. Censorship defined, right there.

Now, if PewDiePie had videos of him beating up Jews or how he started his own (or joined another) branch of young Nazis, then... THEN you have something to complain about. Now it is not about "what is said", but "what is done," as in actions.

When someone, anyone tries to stifle another, that IS censorship, no matter how well intended.

Dan Endacott

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 am

No it isn't

The reporters and Disney can't prevent PewDiePie from speaking his mind, only the state can do that

~Sylvia~

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 am

I see what you're saying. That is "State Censorship", which is different from "Societal Censorship." When parts society gang up on another, there can be censorship.

What sets me off is that they did not just write an article. Had they left it at that, I'd have no complaints. But they actively tried to hurt this YouTuber. not physically, but financially.

PS: What if they were successful in getting YouTube to shut his channel down? Would that be censorship, then?

PPS: Censorship happens all the time, without laws. A public library bans specific books. Is that censorship? Some religious group sets about to ban certain movies. Is that censorship?

Maybe I am mistaken...

latrina

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Clearly you've never been verbally abused.

Oh, that's great. :) They were banned for a while though, and this whole situation could have ended very poorly for them.

yermom

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:28 am

Are you saying that if they considered PewDiePie to be inciting hatred of a particular racial or religious group which could potentially cause violence against that group they shouldn't complain?

Shutting down his YouTube channel wouldn't be censorship, no, he still can express his opinions.

A public library banning books or limiting access to them is censorship, and sometimes a good thing too, but its actions can be challanged in the court and it would have to justify them.

A religious group can't ban a movie, they can campaign for the state to do so or seek to convince others not to show or view it. thats their right, but they can't compel others not to view or show it so they aren't censoring it.

I don't believe this is censorship. I also don't believe in an absolute right to freedom of speech but thats a different issue.

lisa nuttall

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 am

If my employers told me "you cannot say this or I will fire you" that is a form of censorship. Do they legally have the right to do it. Yes. Doesn't stop it from being an attempt to censor someone. No.

You can try and tiptoe around it and say technically I could have quit and still said it or just said it and got fired and keep saying it. But the fact is, it's an attempt at limiting a persons freedom of speech, by giving a punishment if he doesn't comply.
Everardo Montano

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:47 am

Freedom of speech just means that the government can't arrest you for what you say. However it doesn't mean that anyone else has to listen to a person's BS, or host it while they share it. The 1st amendment doesn't shield someone from criticism or consequence which for some strange reason people think it does.

Taylrea Teodor

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 am

When you say something during your work hours, you don't only express your views, you express the company's views. And if you're a high-profile employee, then even the things you do outside work are associated with the company you represent.

Part of being sponsored by a brand is representing the brand's image. PewDiePie might not be anti-Semitic and actually want to kill all Jews. Nevertheless, he sometimes behaves in an insensitive and immature manner and some of his videos can be seen as offensive. This isn't the only video of his that's been accused of containing anti-Semitic content; you can be "just joking" only for so long. If the companies he's associated with decided that this time he went too far, it's understandable that they want to distance themselves from him. It's not about censoring him, it's about protecting their own image, which every sensible business cares about.

PewDiePie can still publish his videos and express his views, whatever they might be - just not on Disney's payroll. He's not being gagged.
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 am

Exactly. They decided not to associate with him due to his attitude. His channel is still there and he can keep screaming these "jokes" all he wants. He's just not going to get paid for it.

Bek Rideout

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 am

I finally made it to a computer and looked into what all this is about. From what I've been able to tell, a private company(Disney) felt that one of it's business affiliates tarnished it's public appearance and cut all ties.

I can't see why it's a big deal. Disney could have cut off contact with him for no reason and it would still be the same. To me, it is just another business decision in the corporate world. This guy misjudged Disney and these are the results.

I don't see the legions of offended people from the general public calling out names like "bigot" and "racist" like you would a year ago. Is it possible people are finally starting to chill and not risk an early heart attack?

Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Sorry for the misnomer actually. I'm an old skater punk (more or less), so I'm familiar with the type of skinheads you're talking about :) I just mean the neo-nazis in this case.

A Boy called Marilyn

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games