Bye Bye Pewtie Pie

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:45 am

I'm sorry but this is just so ridiculous. I'll fight to the death for people's right to freedom of speech. It's very clear this was intended as numerous. Guess what someone is offended by something no matter what. Who cares?

People need to stop being so sentisive. This country is going to [censored] with these hippy skinny jean wearing softies while men dress like women and cry when men call them out on it. It's so disgusting not because the man wears girls clothes, but that he doesn't have the constitution to stand up to criticism when publically making a statement in the first place. It's so hypocritical.

And then there's this. My opinion if you thought it was offensive move on? What do you aim to gain?
Richard

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 am

yes to all of this! how would you like to be president!?
NeverStopThe

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 am

I can't tell if you're being ironic here. This was written in 1906 by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in her 1906 biography of Voltaire. She had intended to summarize Voltaire's thinking on free speech (e.g. “Think for yourselves, and allow others the privilege to do so, too”) but it has often been mistakenly attributed to Volataire himself.

elliot mudd

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 am

I hope the choice of "Family Guy" was intentionally ironic, given the content of that show.

Couldn't you have at least gone to Voltaire? Or even Evelyn Beatrice Hall?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Arrogant SId

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am

Family Guy rocks. Any quote from that show is justified! All those namby pandy intellectuals can just go hang. :D
Claire Jackson

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:04 am

I'll go hang then. I really, really dislike that show. If there is any "comedy" or "humor" it missed me completely. I make no claims to the "intellectuals" part.

james kite

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:24 am

I stopped watching that show for the same reason I stopped watching The Simpsons, it got TO political and preachy which to me equals not funny.

SiLa

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I did not know the Simpsons got that way. I watched it for maybe two or three years before watching other stuff.
Ashley Tamen

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:03 am

My new favourite Moderator.

The only I dislike is double standards. If one group can possess this degree of influence and cause these repercussions due to someone offending them, then surely it would be entirely reasonable to expect the same level of protection for everyone?

Is that the case though?

It also somewhat reminds me of the never-ending regurgitation of slavery as the primary reason that any black person suffers from anything negative. Firstly, neither I, nor my ancestors (yes, in spite of me being "white") had anything to do with it. Secondly, in the civilised world, we don't prosecute children for crimes that their parents committed. It's history, it's over, move on.

This entire debacle was a few jokes in exceptionally poor taste, but that's the world that we live in, and this "news" story has brought Pewdiepie global attention, which will probably INcrease his subscribers and income.

Intolerance of intolerance only breeds more intolerance. Bear that in mind.

mike

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 am

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - MLK Jr.

edit: I swear, I screw up every post and have to edit them. :P

There, done.

Heather Stewart

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 am

I guess my question is, Where is all this self-proclaimed "acceptance" and "tolerance" some folk claim? Is this only seen by those one agrees with?

Scotties Hottie

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 am

That is a great example.

The question "Why should you suffer for something your ancestors did" suggests a narrow grasp of the point you are making since you are only considering it from your own point of view.

Is this because you do not understand how or why someone else's situation should have any merit or because you have decided that anyone else's situation has no merit?

Josephine Gowing

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 am

Everywhere. Right now I'm having a polite conversation on Facebook with an old friend whose political views make me wonder if he suffered some kind of brain damage in the last few years, but we're both civilized enough to agree to disagree. However, the moment his "freedom of speech" leads to him actively trying to curtail my own civil liberties, we're going to have a problem.

Some of you differentiate between words and actions. The act of speaking is in itself an action. Words can have tangible physical consequences. Encouraging someone to break the law is punishable under many penal systems. Do you think it shouldn't be because "it's just words"?

Tamara Primo

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:12 am

It's actually getting better. For the last six years or so, getting jumped on for saying something unpopular was risking your job or career. People in general seem to be chilling out. It's the minority of nut cases that are vocal that make it still seem bad.

For a while it seemed like you could not walk two steps without being called racist.

By the way, I despise orcs. Can't stand them.
Claire Jackson

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 am

Why would anything except their own point of view matter?

Are we supposed to be multidimensional beings who have to account for everyone's perspective and live outside of our own sense of Present-Tense reality? This is absurd. It's gone beyond a discussion of race and is just flat out absurdity.

:)Colleenn

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:21 am

There's a difference between free speech and a call to action. Some guy can walk into a bar and say "I hate black people and think they are inferior", and while it's disgusting and uneducated thing to say, that's still free speech.

Now if a guy walks into a bar and says "I hate black people, and there's a black guy outside who just robbed someone and we should all go beat his ass" , that's a call to action and is a crime.

Whether or not you like what someone says, hate speech IS free speech . But there's a difference between a call to action and hate speech. What pewdiepie did was just speech, maybe hate speech, but not a call to action. He didn't commit a crime.

But if his sponsors saw what he said as a big deal, it's their freedom to choose to continue sponsoring him or not.
Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 am

Exactly.. I don't blame them at all either. They're not obligated to foot the bill for someone that have a distaste for. That would be a great injustice as well, to deny them that.

Rachel Tyson

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I was talking in more general terms because PewDiePie didn't advocate commiting any crimes, but I'd like to point out that "death to all " is a call to action - in this case an action which is still alive in our collective memory and often affected our own families.

Personally I don't really care about the anti-Semitic angle, the whole debacle stems from the fact that Pewds just isn't a skilled enough comedian to pull off using such sensitive subjects for anything more than cheap shock value, which eventually bit him in the ass.

Krista Belle Davis

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am

That's cool! I wish more people were capable of this kind of communication. I, too, can communicate in a non-defensive/offensive and informative (both ways) way, but not many can. But when "they" start to attack, I'll attack right back, with no qualms.

Words alone can not do any physical damage. They can, however, incite physical actions that can and do cause physical damage. Just as guns (or any weapon) don't kill people, people kill people, words are the same. Even harassment can lead to a physical reaction, but the words alone do nothing physical. I have yet to hear about someone suffering a black eye or whiplash from words alone.

Words vs actions. Is PewDiePie a member of any "nazi-esque" group? Has he physically assaulted (actions) anyone? No. He was condemned by his words alone with no proof what-so-ever.

PS: I'm one of the strange birds that don't care if someone is a racist, a homophobe, a sixist, or any kind "ist." Let them be. It is their loss, missing out on some great interactions with people of all kinds. One can not force another into their way of thinking, which is the usual tactic taken by both extremes :)

louise hamilton

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:35 pm

I have no qualms with Disney. They are a business and can do what they want. My point is about the reporters who actively set out to condemn him.

The funny thing is, is that Disney originally signed him because he was "edgy." Now they fire him for the same thing? Not the brightest business, that Disney :)

Bryanna Vacchiano

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Him, and 99% of Youtubers.

@_@

Chelsea Head

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Well, things like this bring out the sanctimonious members of the Internet. People lambasting him for making jokes about touchy subjects should also be calling for South Park or any other "controversial" show to be shut down. What happened to PewDiePie is out of line and completely pathetic.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNSiFrS3n4

CORY

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Pewdiepie did nothing wrong.

Connie Thomas

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 am

One day, Mudcrabs will conquer all of Tamriel.

And I hope we get better representation in TES VI. Playable race at bare minimum. The amount of discrimination I face every day from bigots is disgusting.

#MudcrabRights #Mudcrab4Emperor

Blaine

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 am

And I agree 100%. He did nothing wrong. What he did was make the mistake of misjudging the reaction of a business sponsor. That's more of a business and financial matter than a moral one.

To be honest, I care nothing about what someone's ancestors had to go through, and I think it should have nothing to do with what people say today. Notice, I said "say", not "do". Physical actions are a totally different ballgame and should be regulated.

I'm talking about someone shooting of his mouth. He/she should have the freedom to make themselves look as dumb as possible by saying dumb things.

Iain Lamb

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games