Bye Bye Pewtie Pie

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 am

So what do you all think of all this Pewtie Pie nonsense?

I tried watching him but maybe it was not one of his better videos, he was really potty mouthed and just seemed to be swearing for attention so I never got into him, but a lot of the young people I work with seem to hold him in high regard... or at least find him amusing.

Let's hope he's saved the 15 million he made off Youtube last year, because he's been dropped by both Disney and Youtube for apparently anti-semetic videos.

He still gets to keep his regular Youtube channel but he's been stripped of his lucrative premium advertising deal as well as kicked out of Disney's "Youtube Club" or whatever it was they were doing with him.

Over-reaction on the part of his corporate task masters or do you think he crossed a line that shouldn't have been crossed?

steve brewin

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 am

From what was reported he definitely crossed a line. He tried to brush it off as edgy humor..... but there was no punchline.
мistrєss

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 am

Sargon of Akkad (whatever you think of him) made a good video showing why the three Times writers wrote that piece: to cut into their true direct competition, larger influencers getting all that sweet, sweet ad revenue. Keep in mind that this is the same guy that trolled the crap out of every major publication and got them to publish that he'd delete his channel at 50M subs. I've seen the vids referenced by the allegations to get the facts, and he uses it as satire to mock busybodies who demand that they be in charge of what can and can't be said. This whole debacle is quite frankly a good example of Fake News.

Edit: corrected the news outlet

Natasha Biss

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Only hear about this person on the internet and nowhere else.. :shrug:

Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 am

Huh, I'm subbed to him but I didn't catch/notice that one. I'll have to check it out.
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Post removed.

Any posts that have political remarks get removed.

Isaac Saetern

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:07 pm

I don't think it was supposed to be edgy per se. He was just pointing out the absurdity of that service.

Kind of like that African guy who makes vids for cash, promoting any given idea you ask him to. I forgot his name. edit: Big Man Tyrone

Jessica Colville

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:51 pm

I never got into PewDiePie, I tried watching one of his videos and he was SOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying. There's even times I've almost un-subbed to Matt Pat's Game Theory channel cause damn is the guy obsessed with him, every six weeks Matt would put up some video about PewDiePie ugh.

Blaine

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:13 am

It's honestly kind of bs. And I don't even like him. But the amount of feelings that get hurt from things that are simply supposed to be funny nowadays is ridiculous. Can't breath without some person in the world being offended by it.
xxLindsAffec

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am

Did you just take a breath of air?! I'm offended :P.

Deon Knight

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm

I do not think I have even heard of him. Seems to me a publicity stunt by him and the companies involved.

Alexandra walker

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 am

I'm all for offensive and edgy comedy, but Pew Die Pie has no skill in that regard. The slur he used in his joke went waaaaaayyy too far. The casual flaunting of that type of hate is despicable.

Since he's the most popular YouTuber, of course he's going to be made an example of by his sponsors leaving him. Rightfully so, in this case.

jasminε

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 am

Yeah, I do enjoy some offensive comedy. But this guy seemed to do it out of spite, to see how much he could offend people kept trying to top himself by being more and more offensive and then quickly hide behind the "Lol it's a joke, don't take it seriously" like a coward.

Hope this teaches him and others a lesson.

JERMAINE VIDAURRI

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

As a Jew, I don't particularly find these type of jokes all that funny, even when someone is trying to be "edgy." Both my grandparents barely made it out of Poland. Both of my great-grandparents died in the gas chambers. We've been persecuted for thousands of years, and I'm glad in Europe it's a prison sentence for a lot of these hate-speeches made toward us. It should be a hate-crime at the very least. This Youtuber got off lightly.

Jinx Sykes

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 am

You seem to not understand the point of comedy. Nothing is untouchable. Everyone in the world is going to get offended by something once in a while.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 am

I thought it was funny and kind of interesting to see how far those fiver people will go.

Not really my place to say if it was offensive, as I'm not Jewish.
Allison C

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:31 am

I was under the impression for a while that this guy is a jerk and likely racist

Je suis

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 am

LOL poor people will do anything for money, how hilarious. Let's use them to broadcast racist messages for [censored] and giggles, what could possibly go wrong?

In case you didn't know, those two men are now banned from Fiverr.
Stu Clarke

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 am

I agree that nothing in comedy should be sacred, but any respectable comedian knows when and how to draw the line.

PewDiePie is not George Carlin, Richard Pryor, or Louis CK.

There's a huge difference between being offended, and watching someone make a public "joke" seen by millions of people (many which are kids) that is designed to disrespect one of the most atrocious crimes against humanity that has ever occurred.

Comedy has nothing to do with it when you sink that low.

Felix is a young guy and probably wasn't intentionally trying to upset anyone, but hopefully he'll learn from this. (Specifically, learn that he's not funny. :P )

Margarita Diaz

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:01 am

Only Richard Pryor matters with that bunch. Louis CK is overrated and George Carlin seriously lost his marbles by the end there... I mean, he was truly dreadful and no longer funny anymore. So negative... like he wanted the world to be destroyed.

Anyways... I'm not a fan of PewdiePie either, but like I said earlier, I think he was just testing out the ridiculousness of that service with the guy with those signs. Insensitive sure, but it doesn't mean he's a racist. I don't care for him, but I'd hate to see someone ostracized from the entire world just because of behavior like this. lol. That might just happen. The blacklisting associated with that label - and hastiness at which it is tossed about - is just as merciless as racism to me.

And before anyone starts, I'm not even white myself.. so I'm not trying to say I don't understand racism. I've fought off skinheads and been called many nasty things. Literal threats and fear. This is hardly the same.

Stephanie I

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 am

I completely disagree. Like wholeheartedly.

You can't just name off comedians you enjoy and say "LOOK! These comedians are funny and they don't do jokes like that! People that do must be crossing a line that these actually good comedians know about". Just admit, it's simply not your cup of tea, don't try and make it out to be simply bad comedy or anything else because there are some people that enjoy pewdiepies comedy.

There are thousands of comedians that use extremely dark events as jokes, and people love them. There are comedians fully dedicated simply to joking about [censored] even. And I'd like to point out a YouTuber that people love and will defend to the death that has done far darker comedy and said far worse things then pewdiepie as a joke: Idubbbztv. He is adored by many fans, and almost all of those fans think he is hilarious despite the "dark" things he says. An even larger comedian is George Lopez and he joked about how the Latino community hates black people in a recently leaked standup video. You may not like all of these people, but to get offended by things intentionally made for comedy is over the top.

I'd like to quote something I saw

"What do you think Hitler would appreciate more? That people still fear the Nazis and are still afraid? Or that they're used as [censored] joke now?"
Eibe Novy

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 am

They're not though. Those guys as well as the Jesus guy were eventually unbanned after Pewdiepie contacted Fiver about it.
kitten maciver

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:12 pm

This is pretty much how I feel too.
Hayley Bristow

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 am

I am genuinely worried and concerned that some people think what he did and how he did it could be excused.

But at the same time I have to balance that with the knowledge that (hopefully) those who would be prepared to excuse it are able to see why the humor on it's own is not appropriate, but because of their appreciation of all the factors at play, they're willing to let it slide because they appreciate the sardonic point he claims he was attempting to make.

But I suppose Disney said it best as their comments on the matter could be summarized as "Look, we appreciate you have a rep for your 'edgy humor' but much of your audience are young, impressionable teens, many of whom will just see the mocking of Jewish People as something that's funny to do".

Don't agree with what he did but I suppose I can take a step back and appreciate the point he claims he was trying to make (and still not agree with it), but that was certainly the wrong place to be doing it.

Perhaps with all that money he can buy an original copy of "Amazing Fantasy #15" and learn that "With great power comes great responsibility".

Mandi Norton

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 am

It's not about excusing it. I just don't care for righteous indignation that ruins people's lives. When he didn't do anything Hitler like... or even beat up a minority. He didn't do anything except made a stupid joke to show how dumb that Sign service was.

Perhaps he deserves to lose his job.. That's not my business. I just don't think he needs to be turned into a pariah.

Bird

Next

Return to Othor Games