I can't even enjoy the combat.

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:39 pm

It's not a waste if I'm having fun. You sound like one of the "Mr Badass" gamers who want a challenge and F04 survival isn't enough. So try this... play solo (no companion) with no perks and try to level up just by getting by with baseline stats and rely on gear drops. Enjoy. That's a challenge.

tiffany Royal

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:22 am

There's a mod called "Real World Damages". Everyone, no matter the level, dies after a few hits.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/217

Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm a bit baffled by some of the critique. For some it is too easy, for others too difficult, and often both arguments are combined in a strange way.

I find the gunfights in Fallout 4 relatively satisfying. Yesterday I had a prolonged shooting with really tough Raiders and Gunners near the beach in the south, I was surprised about the aggressiveness and meaningful movement of some of the enemies. Of course they are dumb all in all but humans in combat are also often dumb. They swarmed me, put me under pressure, used grenades and cover, moved laterally, circled me. I died quite often. I play on Survival and my low damage made it quite difficult to prevail. But if you don't like bullet sponges, choose another difficulty or use mods. I tried a 1,35x damage mod for hunting rifles but I still needed 4 bullets to the head to kill. That's not realistic but it urges you to play tactically.

Concerning the sights, I don't see so many problems with them. Using a gun in the real world in a combat situation with adenaline all over you and your heart beating at 175 bpm is rather difficult, that's why most bullets don't hit the intended target. To have less than perfect sight conditions and movement of the mouse is a good way to simulate this, although I don't think that was Beths purpose.

My only big concern so far with aiming in Fallout 4 is that you don't look over the sights when you are in 3rd person (as I always am) and press M2. That really really annoys me.

Ross

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm

You lost ONLY because your stats were nerfed.

I prefer the game with the realistic damage mod.

Sami Blackburn

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:40 am

There is a mod to achieve this. The damage on Survival is not realistic but so is the damage on other difficulties. For a little bit more realistic damage you should have a 5x damage modifier for both you and the NPC. In real life there are lots of fights where you need 4, 5, 6 or 15 hits before it is over. That's with low power handgun rounds like .45 ACP, .40 S+W oder 9mm Luger however. With high powered rifle rounds it's a bit different. And such weapons are mostly used in the game. I think the energy variants are equally effective. A hit with a rifle to the head should take you out of the fight. Your limbs should often be not functional when the bone were hit (and not treatable with a ridiculous Stimpac), a bullet to the briast should kill quiete often and a bullet in the belly should lead to bleeding that could be only treated after the fight. I'm not sure this would be fun for so many.

We have to accept that the game is a game. The combat is highly unrealistic. You manage constantly to kill large groups of heavily armed and armored enemies alone or with one companion without spending any time in hospital. Reality is a bit different.

Andrew Lang

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:25 pm

yeah, "realistic" would mean you had to eat, drink and sleep constantly, and a bullet to the leg would mean you lying in a bed recovering for two game-months. Also, you could only carry one or two guns, no scrap or loot.

Sounds horrific, I wouldn't want to play a game like that lol
gary lee

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:28 pm

I generally choose the 'good guy' dialog options too, so the fact that I can't really be the 'bad guy' hasn't had a significant impact on my game experience. However, I do typically like to do a few play-throughs, at least one of which involves being the bad guy just so I can see elements of the story line from a different perspective and see what different side missions pop up. Not having this option is kind of a drawback.

The funny part is that although you can't really be the bad guy, there are elements of the game that force you to be the bad guy even if you don't want to be. I'm currently trying to romance Cait, and if you offer to help anyone in any way at all, even after going through dialog checks for max caps, she dislikes it. She likes it when you steal, use chems, pickpocket people, drink alcohol, and all kinds of 'bad guy' acts. This is frustrating because it's forcing me to play out of character. I could just choose to not bother romancing her, but then I'd be missing out on part of the story line. Plus she's a fiery redhead, so there's not really a choice to be made.

This wouldn't be as much of an issue if the option to play the bad guy was actually there. I'd do a play through as the good guy and romance Piper (which did fit perfectly with my character), and then do another play through as the bad guy and romance Cait. Good thing Cait loves lockpicking so much. I'm going to win her heart over with that alone lol

Sorry for the slight derail, OP.

Darrell Fawcett

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:28 pm

sometimes i wonder if we are playing the same game

i was pretty sceptical about this game before launch and i fully admit this game is not perfect there are many design features i would have done different and other people complained about technical issues or even the graphics quality

i find it a amazing game i ve not suffered any technical difficulties and i really enjoy how the game looks and feels

so like i said , are we playing the same game here or is it just a question of personal taste in gaming

Alyesha Neufeld

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:03 am

It's the current trend of: "Old is always better."

Celestine Stardust

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I dunno. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I like both the free style shooting and I like vats. I really cannot think of a better way to say it than "I love this game and I have fun everytime I play".
luis dejesus

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Yea, it'd be fine in Arma, but not in an arcade shooter like FO4. But the main reason I know it's not intentional is that the weapons' level of 'floppiness' is exactly the same when you shake your mouse around wildly as when you do it slowly. It's only when you move your mouse really, REALLY slowly (much slower than in the gif I provided) that it changes into a less floppy mode. Almost as if the game was designed for a controller.

Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:54 pm

You did? What with? Hope you're 'literally' okay.

James Potter

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 am

well it is not always the original fallout and fallout 2 were great games in their days 1998 - 2000 but that is ùpre than 15 years ago

how would the original fallout look like if the original developers had todays technology and moreimportant todays gamers mindset toward games, pretty much the dame as we see today in fallout 4 , pretty sure of that

Sarah Evason

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:54 am

Sorry, can't relate to any of the points in OP. Iron Sights are supposed to be harder to use than especially the reflex sight, and I love the way this is modeled. I haven't noticed, but maybe barrel length has an effect as well wrt "weapon inertia"? It's supposed to be an upgrade (not restricted to VATS only players) rather than just visuals. Can't remember if the reflex sights are "accurate to the real world" because the fights have been too hectic for me to notice, but I did enjoy the fact that the "reticle" was in fact moving in the sight indicating this would be the case (rather than just a texture painted dot in a glass, which many games do/did).

Some ammo is rare, deal with it and just buy the stuff, pick appropriate perks to reduce the ammo wasting factor, and use chems and clothing to boost what you need. This is supposedly a CRPG where the challenges you face change depending on what choices you make during character buildup. The same goes for different weapon and armor mod configurations, there isn't a fix'ed "best way", but a way the best matches your chosen playstyle. Not having all options available for all guns? Seriously? I've never done a tabletop RPG that allowed this kind of nonsense anyway. Use game mods to "fix" your game to your liking, don't "fix what ain't broken".

About difficulty being bullet sponges. Well, yes and no. The game is kind of lacking in the role playing mechanics, but still a great first person shooter and exploration game. The purpose seems to be "the road you choose to becoming godlike", and can vary pretty good depending on starting parameters. Playing on higher difficulties means you have to utilize more of the games options in order to succeed with tougher enemies - exactly what was expected of us in tabletop RPG times by the GM, and he would even reward us with additional XP if we successfully utilized available mechanics to achieve a successful outcome, while in FO4 this reward system is a bit shallow. Failure to use such mechanics (chems, proper weapon and armor mods, foods to boost HP etc) while still complaining about bullet sponge effect doesn't make sense to me at all. Sure, other ways of handling it would be possible in tabletop games (more enemies, or adjusted specifically to the situation and party facing them), but not very valid for a CRPG (for coding complexity reasons). and I have a hard time imagining what could be better within "the same system" (better AI behavior does not fall into this realm, nor does "dynamic AI perk tree evaluation" like a living GM would do).

They've tried to satisfy realism fans and casual players - this is obviously kind of a conflict zone. Gameplay for a "realistic shooter" would be horrible wrt CRPG. Although I wouldn't mind more realism. However, hard to use iron sights are for me very realistic, and acts as a mechanic for me to want to upgrade them.

Ray

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:53 am

Well, gaming skills, like intelligence, follow the normal distribution (Gauss or bell curve). Half of the gamers are better than average, while the other half is worse than average. A few are extremely good players, a few extremely bad and so on.

Danger Mouse

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:54 pm

+1

A couple other people could probably take this advice too, instead of venting and wasting their time and ours on the forum.

It's one thing to see the game in need of a little fixing. It's another to see it as a worthless piece of crap.

NEGRO

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Now that's just false! This is a BGS game after all, the release version is a beta that lets you figure out what you need to fix with mods.

(If it wasn't, i'd buy these games only as GOTY versions from a 80% off sale :whisper:)
Kelly Tomlinson

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 pm

This is the perfect metaphor for FO4.

Fallout 4 is like one of those Scandinavian 2% beers. You can taste the alcohol in there, but you can not feel it, no matter how much you drink.

Kevin Jay

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Of course they should be harder, but they should also be usable. Did you even look at the gif I provided? How can you aim with iron sights when you can't even see the front post? It makes the character look like a drunkard who just picked up a gun for the first time in his life. Even the Red Orchestra series weren't close to being this harsh.

Did you miss the bit where I said I had two ranks of scrounger and amassed a huge sum of .50 cal cartridges yet found next to no .44 cartridges and few shotgun shells? Does that make any sense to you? Why would rare ammunition be more plentiful than fricking shotgun shells?

And I didn't say that all weapons should have access to all mods, but I do ask for consistency. There is no good reason that the pipe revolver should have access to glow sights but not the .44 revolver. There is no good reason why laser and plasma weapons should not have access to the dot reflex sight when even the hunting rifle has both options.

That's precisely the problem. If you decide to use all available mechanics, then survival too becomes as easy as normal difficulty. You have to start gimping yourself, like using nothing but your vault suit and avoiding PA to get any kind of challenge. Bullet sponges add little to the difficulty, they just make the game dull on top of unchallenging.

I wouldn't mind more realism, as out of place as that would be in FO4, but some of the iron sights in this game are neither arcade nor realistic; they're just a mess. Again, go watch some Red Orchestra gameplay; you might be surprised.

tegan fiamengo

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:52 am

Wow! There are allot of people wearing very thick rose tinted glasses in this thread.

The gun play in FO3 was just terrible. New Vegas helped somewhat, but the game often devolved into Fallout: Sniper.

Russell Davies

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 am

So much [censored]ing about nothing. If you're complained about being overpowered early on how about not investing all your points in combat perks. I am level 28 and get owned all the time because I'm enjoying the other aspects of the game like settlements.

Jonny

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 pm

I love that the typical Bethesda-fan defense follows the thought process: "If you don't like it, do it yourself!" So modding, self-gimping, playing pretend. These are all things we needlessly use to justify the lackluster content the developers are peddling. But why?

Esther Fernandez

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 am

You could make a couple of new iterations of the pic in your sig.

Kanaoka

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:03 am

Stealth is useless on molerats, scorpions and some ghouls. No matter how good you are at sneak they will find you.

мistrєss

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 pm

How dare you? I even provided pics and videos for some of my issues. Point to me where I was dishonest please.

DeeD

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion