I can't even enjoy the combat.

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Replaying New Vegas now, and while i agree that the dialogue is better and feels more in touch with the original Fallout games. I feel like its to easy to meta-game it, i know i set my own limits, but in one hour i was idolized by the Boomers because i listened to their story and killed a few Ants. The factions system feels uncomplete and very tacked on. Fallout 4 has a much better approach to factions, in my opinion.

I will say that i find the East Coast setting much more interesting in general and its an oppurtunity to build up something new and have it clash with the West. The Brotherhood of Steel versus the NCR. Can you imagine that game? Holy *put in censcored word here* I am more interested in the setting as a whole and where it will go, compared to dialogue etc.

Melanie

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:33 pm

When a thread is mostly about comparing the various Fallout games, it is moved to the Series section because that is where we compare the games and/or speculate about new games.

victoria gillis

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:46 pm

But that's not why I made this topic; I made it to discuss FO4's combat. I never even mentioned FO3 nor NV in the original post. Couldn't you have just asked folks to stay on topic?

Stu Clarke

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:57 pm

I mentioned this before, but with the current dialogue system, numbers of choices within that dialogue system, voiced protagonist, leveling system, FPS mechanics, etc., they could have just saved the money on voicing four ways to say yes or no (a lot of dialogue in this game only has one or two choices) and you're left with Farcry in a Fallout setting.

Interestingly enough Farcry isn't considered an RPG, it's an open-world FPS. It even has a couple of story choices here and there. The only real difference I have seen between Farcry 4 and Fallout 4 is that Farcry's writing and characters are far better and that Fallout 4 took some stuff from other games like settlement building and the dialogue wheel.

Not to sound like broken record, but Fallout 4 is the first Bethesda game that I space out in. A lot of the times I put the game on mute and listen to Youtube stuff on my headset since choices don't really matter for the most part and it's more or less an open-world FPS. I spend more time running around shooting things as though it were Farcry and in loading screens than I do anywhere else it seems like.

Bitter End

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 pm

The Far Cry 4 comparison seems pretty much spot on.

Fallout 4 is the first game I've not and probably will not buy and finish. Yeah, I've been told several times by people here to vote with my wallet, so that's what I'm doing. Burned my fingers enough times already. :thumbsup:

Kay O'Hara

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:24 pm

I think you're probably making the right move. I grew up on FPS games starting with Goldeneye in '97 (I'm only 22) and didn't get into RPGs until later on (middle school).

Despite my extremely negative views towards Fallout 4, I've been able to play it solely because I like FPS games (though it really isn't anywhere near as good as other FPS on the market).

I know Gizmo and some others mod, but I don't know if you do any modding. If you do, then I think there is some potential when the GECK is released, but in your case I wouldn't spend the money unless it was dirt cheap. Does PC have used copies? Used copies don't count as sales for Bethesda right?

Amy Masters

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Nah, I don't do mods. There's too much to learn and too much work to be done, and too little time, if I wanted to change everything I think would need to change, and some things are simply out of reach (like the dialog). I might pick this one up at a bargain bin someday if there's nothing else around, but... who knows.

I don't have anything in particular against FPS games, it's just the wrong kind of gameplay here. It can only go so far in its attempt to produce the right kind of experience.

Ross

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:48 pm

I love this game. Right when I tnought I was comfortable setting up my Castle... a bunch of level 30 raiders and 2 legendary gunners came knocking. I was stoked to see my Castle defense work finally, but I got owned when I was on VATS focused on 1 legendary with my mouth drooling over what legendary item I will get (7 luck)... then another legendary popped up at the back of the castle and FAT MAN'd me and killed me one shot... dayam that was sick! I quick saved when the attack happened so I got to restart and come up with a strategy. In the end I won, 5 settlers died but ended up with the LUCKY FAT MAN (crits do 2x dmg) and PENETRATING CHINESE OFFICER SWORD (LOL at that name). Normal difficulty Level 42 PS4.

If you're not having fun with this game, then why are you playing it? Go back to COD or GTA5.

Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Don't like this discussion? Go join another one instead. Plenty of F4 fan threads out there.

Amy Siebenhaar

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion