I could not care less for duel wield.

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:16 am

Don't forget about the enemies. Just because I as a player won't use it, doesn't mean the world around me won't use it. And I do think that a nordic setting with people running around as if they were duellers from the 16th century would look silly. I honestly think the rapier-and-dagger combination would suit the Redguards very well, and sometimes having a mad Nord with two axes rushing at you would also be fun, but that should never be nearly as effective as fighting with, for example, a hammer in one and a shield in the other hand. Or a spear and shield. Or a long spear. Or, if you must, a two handed axe, but please not one of these silly double-bladed ones.
Liv Brown

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:51 pm

How about holding two shields?

OMG I was thinking that. This could be incredibly hard to use in a fight but I have seen someone skilled fight with 2 shield and it was devastating. I would comment on the TC but everyone else already gave my opinion lol.
Oceavision

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 am

Edit: got it wrong, I'm assuming you're talking bout him? cuz apparently we agree :P

Yup. Sorry for my english, I'm spanish. That's why I'm so pro-dual wielding :)
Ridhwan Hemsome

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 am

Don't forget about the enemies. Just because I as a player won't use it, doesn't mean the world around me won't use it. And I do think that a nordic setting with people running around as if they were duellers from the 16th century would look silly. I honestly think the rapier-and-dagger combination would suit the Redguards very well, and sometimes having a mad Nord with two axes rushing at you would also be fun, but that should never be nearly as effective as fighting with, for example, a hammer in one and a shield in the other hand. Or a spear and shield. Or a long spear. Or, if you must, a two handed axe, but please not one of these silly double-bladed ones.
This :tops:
Chase McAbee

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:31 am

The only thing that concerns me about this is:
How do I block if I have two weapons. Right/left click would both attack with those weapons, so blocking must be a separate button. Well, if that is true, I guess having a shield and pressing that button would shield bash.

One of my concerns about dual wielding and the way it was described makes it sound like to cast any sort of magic I will have to put away one of my weapons/shields to cast the spell, taking away the speed of spell casting present in Oblivion. This sounds counter initiative, but I withhold judgment until I see how it works.
remi lasisi

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Anyone know how it's even gonna work?

It could be cool or it could be gimmicky.

Would svck if you just swing both swords the same direction at the same time, just effectively dealing double damage and that's it.

Would be good if it came with specific abilities, like being able to set up jabs and big rights like a boxer would. Lead with the left hand and try to create an opening then come in with a big swinging right hand to do the real damage, that could be cool.
Peetay

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:48 am

I certainly agree that wielding 2 longswords is unrealistic. In fact, several medieval manual-at-arms discourages it's use, and they better suggest to use sword + dagger.

But anyways, this is a fantasy world, so in truth...who cares? :D
Floor Punch

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:49 am

Good, so immerse yourself not to use it. No one cares...

THIS!!
gemma

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 pm

The only thing that concerns me about this is:
How do I block if I have two weapons. Right/left click would both attack with those weapons, so blocking must be a separate button. Well, if that is true, I guess having a shield and pressing that button would shield bash.

One of my concerns about dual wielding and the way it was described makes it sound like to cast any sort of magic I will have to put away one of my weapons/shields to cast the spell, taking away the speed of spell casting present in Oblivion. This sounds counter initiative, but I withhold judgment until I see how it works.
There's probably going to be two buttons for both hands. So with a shield you can block (action 1) or bash (action 2). With a shortsword you can attack (action 1) or parry (action 2). That does makes you wonder what the second button will do for magic.
Becky Cox

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:59 pm

I certainly agree that wielding 2 longswords is unrealistic. In fact, several medieval manual-at-arms discourages it's use, and they better suggest to use sword + dagger.

But anyways, this is a fantasy world, so in truth...who cares? :D

My first character will dual wield swords and not look ridiculous. He's just that badass.
Really, I can't wait to try it out.
Nick Pryce

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:37 am

I'm sure there will be dedicated 2-handed weapons, and the equip-each-hand approach is more hardcoe, but less.

No longer will you be able to cast a spell if you've got a sword and a shield (or another sword) in each hand. Spells are equipped to an open hand or staff.

Changes like this will make character builds more unique, forcing you to put more thought into what you equip at a given time.
lisa nuttall

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 am

Meh, just you wait until you see me in my full Dremora glory coming at you with two giant Daedric battleaxes!

Other than that, it's nice that they implemented it for the people that like it and it's nice that they implemented every other setup imaginable for everyone else. It's a singleplayer game so everyone can find something to fill their hands with.

I'm going to attack dragons with dualwielded forks while wearing a Colovian Fur Hat (which I stole from M'aiq) and a loincloth; just because I (hope I) can ;)
Kate Murrell

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 pm

people will never be satisfied :nope:
Rhysa Hughes

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:54 pm

There's probably going to be two buttons for both hands. So with a shield you can block (action 1) or bash (action 2). With a shortsword you can attack (action 1) or parry (action 2). That does makes you wonder what the second button will do for magic.

*counts number of buttons on his mouse*... errr
Anna Kyselova

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:09 am

I'm intersted in how the controlls will work out. I'm assuming left/right mouse buttons for each hand, but if it's any more complicated, then I'm done for. That whole move mose one way for special attack + button + block + move + rotate = :dead:

Also, as someone else said, I'm a might more interested in playing something magical :nod:

Besides, just think about leveling up now! You can heal the same dumb target that your shooting...powerleveling here - I - Come!!! ;)

Finally, I love the knee-jerk reactions...kind of makes me wish I had some popcorn!
Czar Kahchi

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:52 am

How about a shield and a spell? Or two different spells? It's not just dual wielding swords.

How about two shields :thumbsup:

Um. Block. With your arm.
Emma Pennington

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm still wondering what set of circumstances could lead the op to "care less for dual wield."

Don't leave us in suspense!
rae.x

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 am

Finally, I love the knee-jerk reactions...kind of makes me wish I had some popcorn!

Two buttons for each hand and now we're adding knees? We're going to have to have as many arms as Mehrunes Dagon to be able to control this game. :sweat:
Alexandra walker

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm rather excited about the dual-wielding possibilities :)
I'm a two daggers kinda girl :D
james reed

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't care for Dual Wielding, but the system it comes with sounds awesome. equipping shields, spells, etc and using them with their own button.
sally coker

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:32 pm

I hope that duel wielding will consider the wight of the weapons into account. if someone wants to weild two longswords let them (IMO i think it sounds stupid) but they should move slower then someone wielding two daggers. ooh I just had a cool thought what if you had to block in the direction of the attack, so if you had a sword on your right hand and shield on the left and a guy attacked from the right blocking with your left hand wouldnt have an effect, but if you blocked with your right you could counter attack with a shield bash. that would make combat way more fun.
Kelly John

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:32 am

I hope that duel wielding will consider the wight of the weapons into account. if someone wants to weild two longswords let them (IMO i think it sounds stupid) but they should move slower then someone wielding two daggers.

It was mentioned explicitly in the magazine article that the combat style of the character depends heavily on the type of weapon/shield used. I'm assuming weight will play a major factor in this differentiation.
Marquis deVille

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 am

Fireball in one hand, heal in the other. I might actually make a mage character this time.
Rhiannon Jones

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Why not triple wield?
Spoiler
:facepalm:

Pete Schmitzer

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 am

I hope that duel wielding will consider the wight of the weapons into account. if someone wants to weild two longswords let them (IMO i think it sounds stupid) but they should move slower then someone wielding two daggers. ooh I just had a cool thought what if you had to block in the direction of the attack, so if you had a sword on your right hand and shield on the left and a guy attacked from the right blocking with your left hand wouldnt have an effect, but if you blocked with your right you could counter attack with a shield bash. that would make combat way more fun.

On the topic of longswords vs daggers, there is no reason to penalize longswords. If you have played Oblivion then you will know that daggers do not get any special privileges. They are fast and short. Very lethal with enchantments or poisons. Two just makes them total enchant blasters. Try to imagine some uzi-rings from Morrowind (rapid-fire high damage spells/switch rings after blasting every guard in the world). If you know how to play, those daggers could be much more lethal than those longswords.

As for dual weapon blocking, I'm guessing that you will be blocking with both weapons simultaneously.
Purely speculation on the controls. I just made this up:
Lmb        =Left attackRmb       =Right attackAlt/Mmb  =Block

If you had a shield in your left hand, then blocking would still be done with ALT, and the bashing with Lmb. I'm not sure why people think that you need 4 buttons. Why would you be attacking while blocking? Everyone would just tank behind their shield.
abi

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim