I could not care less for duel wield.

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:41 pm

I
As for dual weapon blocking, I'm guessing that you will be blocking with both weapons simultaneously.
Purely speculation on the controls. I just made this up:
Lmb=Left attack
Rmb=Right attack
Alt/Mmb=Block

If you had a shield in your left hand, then blocking would still be done with ALT, and the bashing with Lmb. I'm not sure why people think that you need 4 buttons. Why would you be attacking while blocking? Everyone would just tank behind their shield.

dont play on the pc so i dont know how controls for the other games worked but I was thinking how on the xbox you have bumpers above the triggers so you would attack with the trigger and block with the bumper.

**edit
I looked it up andfound out that you click left to attack and right to block on pc they could have the left and right clickers use the weapon in there coorisponding hand and a key to press that changes them to block
Naomi Ward

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm completely against dual wielding, I think it looks cliched and lame.

But hey I don't really mind, this sounds like a pretty good system, my first character will probably have one free hand and one hand with a dagger.
I'll probably do a mage with some ridiculous combination of spells like frenzy and calm.
And at some point I'll do an orc with double warhammers just for the hell of it.
Nicole M

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:19 pm

HEY Guys, this is a link for those you who have claimed that wielding two longswords is unrealistic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

Now, its a given that he was a Master Swordsman and probably the only person ever to have sucessfully been able to utilize two swords while fighting, but we're talking about a fantasy game here, not real life. Its much more feasible to suggest that this style of fighting would be more accessible to fighters in the ES universe than it would be in real life, so naturally anyone who claims un-realism has been foiled, more or less. However, the traditional method of dual wielding (which really isn't dual wielding in the gaming sense) by using a sword and some type of defender or small dagger is indeed the reccomended method of fighting if that is what your inclined to fighting with.

I personally prefer the good old sword and shield or going two handed (which isn't just swinging heavily at your enemy, by the way) as I'm just not so finesse as to be able to employ a defender.
Amanda savory

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 am

holding 2 swords is not badass.. it looks comic booky and will compromise immersion.

I will not use it.

I think it would be cool with daggers , but nothing else. Not even short swords.
Kanaoka

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 am

Yeah there will be another button to block, the use left hand button will shield bash.

How do I know? Because if you used the left hand button to block you wouldn't be able to block without a shield at all. You'll be able to block with or without a shield, so therefore when you've got a shield if the left button was used for block there would be a button unused.
Louise

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 am

You're right guys, dual wielding is way too unrealistic and "cool" to be featured in a video game about vikings that slay dragons and scream hurricanes at people.
Jade Barnes-Mackey

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 pm

HEY Guys, this is a link for those you who have claimed that wielding two longswords is unrealistichttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_MusashiNow, its a given that he was a Master Swordsman and probably the only person ever to have sucessfully been able to utilize two swords while fighting, but we're talking about a fantasy game here, not real life. ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJGaTPFh-8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katara_%28sword%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9KK9PhCChg
Saying its unrealistic is not really the point, I can hold 2 sticks, there is no reason I can't HOLD 2 swords. Regardless of whether its practical, it is possible. If any one has a problem with it, its a matter of taste or opinion, which is totally valid. But no one should say it shouldn't be included because it's "stupid" or "juvenile". And the repercussions of duals (shield bash, devs realizing that 2 hands can do 2 things at once, etc.) will pay off in the long run.
Joe Bonney

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 pm

The worst part is that you cannot cast spells while both hands is wielding a weapon/shield. I mean WTF?
[ becca ]

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJGaTPFh-8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katara_%28sword%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9KK9PhCChg
Saying its unrealistic is not really the point, I can hold 2 sticks, there is no reason I can't HOLD 2 swords. Regardless of whether its practical, it is possible. If any one has a problem with it, its a matter of taste or opinion, which is totally valid. But no one should say it shouldn't be included because it's "stupid" or "juvenile". And the repercussions of duals (shield bash, devs realizing that 2 hands can do 2 things at once, etc.) will pay off in the long run.

Aye, you speak truth. Mushashi was the only one I knew of that was relevant to what I was talking about, so yeah.
Channing

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:38 pm

The worst part is that you cannot cast spells while both hands is wielding a weapon/shield. I mean WTF?

It's called a tradeoff, sport.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 pm

I just think it's kind of funny that before the reveal so many people were saying that "duel wield would be waste of time, that it wouldn't happen" and I said "it might already be in the game so quit telling people their ideas were a waste of time."..and look at that, it was already in the game!
Shianne Donato

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 am

I could have sworn duel wield was a highly asked for feature by many people before TESV. Not as much as spears, throwable weapons, crossbows etc., but even so...
REVLUTIN

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:17 am

There is a shot of someone using a sword in one hand and casting a spell with the other. It will be about making choices I imagine. Do you want to cast magika or use a shield more?
Klaire

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Good news. Character builds should be more unique, unlike the bland "master of everything" battle mages that most people's Oblivion characters became.
-__^

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:15 am

How would you be able to? Also, there are shout "spells".
Bellismydesi

Post » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm

They could just make the spells 10 - 20% weaker when dual wielding. The thing is that this game is about choices, but I do not have the possibility to choose to be a dual wielding, magic casting character.

I remembered when TES was about being and play how you want to.
Nicola

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:42 am

They could just make the spells 10 - 20% weaker when dual wielding. The thing is that this game is about choices, but I do not have the possibility to choose to be a dual wielding, magic casting character.

I remembered when TES was about being and play how you want to.

You could not cast spells in MW without putting your weapon away if my memory serves me correctly. And magika had to be hot keyed to switch weapons in Oblivion. Now we can use a sword in one hand and cast magika with the other or use different weapons in each hand or use a weapon and a shield in different hands and you think that reduces choices. Well, it does mean we have to make a choice but when you need a shield I'm sure you can switch between one or the other hand and do just that and maybe even using hot keys.
:read:
Wanda Maximoff

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:08 am

I'll only be disappointed with dual wielding if they put it in, but not spears. If they chose dual-wielding OVER spears, then I'll be pretty pissed.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:28 am

I'm OK with it if there are trade-offs. One can't expect to be able to fight the same with two weapons as with one. Obviously defense should suffer if you are using two swords as opposed to a sword and shield, but I think the attack should suffer as well. In certain die roll-based games, you get a penalty for dual-wielding weapons (Knights of the Old Republic as an example of a video game). I would like something similar. As others have already noted, I find myself intrigued at the prospect of dual-wielding spells (more like binding spells to separate hands, but it amounts to the same). Or shield-and-spell wielding. And it's couldn't care less. Sorry; had to. Pet peeve of mine.
Jerry Cox

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:34 am

Good, so immerse yourself not to use it. No one cares...

ZING!

Great, you have an opinion, a problem, and a solution. Why does this thread still exist?

How about a shield and a spell? Or two different spells? It's not just dual wielding swords.

All of that sums up what I have to say, other than I think it's going to be pretty awesome to play a thief/rogue char that duel wields short-swords.
Roisan Sweeney

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 am

Anyone see anywhere if one can Caste Magick while weapons are sheathed?....."Equipping" magick spells sounds too much like fable 3 :(
christelle047

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 am

holding 2 swords is not badass.. it looks comic booky and will compromise immersion.

I will not use it.

Then don't use it.What so bad about duel wielding?.....if people want to put another sword in the other hand instead of a shield or nothing...whats the problem?
Does it ruin the elder scrolss series for you?....i doubt it.
If it was'nt in anyway,most of you would mod it in....so why not let everyone see if they want to use it in game.
And to those of you who says in does'nt belong in TES..... why?....did you make the game?.....ummmm....NO!
Your holding two weapons,that you fight with,some fighting styles from different countires around the world duel wield weapons....FACT!
Catharine Krupinski

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 am

Holding two weapons at the same time seems pretty reasonable. If they added guns I could understand some outrage but really ... take a deep breath.

I guarantee at some point the person who starts this thread is going to kill a troll with an axe in one hand and a sword in the other and have no problem with it.
Alex [AK]

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:27 am

Anyone see anywhere if one can Caste Magick while weapons are sheathed?....."Equipping" magick spells sounds too much like fable 3 :(

I got Fable 3 vibes when I heard dual wield spells and combine them. And if it end sup like the svck that was mages in fable 3 I'll be pissed. But I expect it will be closer to oblivion where you "equip" a spell by it being the spell that is ready to cast when you hit the c button, though this time it will be left click or whatever. So for example in my oblivion game I have fireball hot keyed to 1 and a heal spell hot keyed to 2. They might keep it at 8 hotkeys, and you can designate which hand it goes to so I might have hotkey 1 left hand fire ball, hot key 2 heal right hand, hot key 3 summon headless zombie right hand. I hit 1 and 2 and I'm set up to throw fireballs and heal myself, I hit 1 and 3 fireballs and summon, 2 and 3 which ever one I hit last is ready to cast for my right hand.
Julia Schwalbe

Post » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:55 am

whats really ironic is that i wanted duel wielding (daggers anyways) in morrowind and oblivion. now i want halberds.
Kelly John

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim