Cumulative Speculation related to TES V #16

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 am

There's no convincing you that it isn't mostly just snow and ice, is there seti?

No, which is why I gave up.
Eve(G)

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:32 pm

http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/skyrim.shtml

A trusted source of information. If you look at the map, you can see that just over half of Skyrim is dominated by mountains, the rest is described as "the canyons and mesas of the Reach."

And in addition to those mountains, there are clear valleys where most of the Eastern population lies.

Also, I would like to correct something I said earlier:
The Nord have a culture of architecture going back over 3,000 years.
Lalla Vu

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Seti, have more faith in Bethesda. They know what they're doing. Skyrim is a beautiful place with lovely (not all now-ridden) environments.

I know it is beautiful. I have read that, but I have not seen Skyrim described as having forests. It is described as freezing cold, and while snow may be beautiful, it can get annoying. I'm aware of environments that aren't covered in snow existing, yet I still would rather have other provinces be used. There will be snow in Skyrim and Skyrim will still be freezing. However, I believe I may have exaggerated my dislike for Skyrim. I like all the provinces, but Skyrim still doesn't interest me like some of the other provinces do. If Bethesda decides to include plenty of Falmer ruins, I would enjoy Skyrim. However, I still would prefer Elsweyr. I could live with Skyrim being the setting for TES V, but why Skyrim? Why did they choose Skyrim?
Jesus Duran

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:23 am

I know it is beautiful. I have read that, but I have not seen Skyrim described as having forests. It is described as freezing cold, and while snow may be beautiful, it can get annoying. I'm aware of environments that aren't covered in snow existing, yet I still would rather have other provinces be used. There will be snow in Skyrim and Skyrim will still be freezing. However, I believe I may have exaggerated my dislike for Skyrim. I like all the provinces, but Skyrim still doesn't interest me like some of the other provinces do. If Bethesda decides to include plenty of Falmer ruins, I would enjoy Skyrim. However, I still would prefer Elsweyr. I could live with Skyrim being the setting for TES V, but why Skyrim? Why did they choose Skyrim?

I think they chose Skyrim because of the possible civil unrest that the Oblivion crisis caused. Which, admittedly, is everywhere. But Skyrim's culture of acceptable violence is no doubt causing big trouble for the Legion detachments who are stationed there. We may even see the fall of the Empire in the coming chapter... No heir, civil unrest all over Tamriel... It is very likely. Unless, of course, the need to rebuild overcomes the anger. But that's unrealistic and doesn't bring anything very interesting.

By the way, I think most ruins will be those of the old Nord that lie above the valleys that have been abandoned because of the uselessness of a defensive position. From what I've read, it sounds as though the Elves who lived there before were actually more nomadic, "...after the Elves that roamed the untamed wilderness which then covered the whole of Tamriel."
kennedy

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 pm

A trusted source of information. If you look at the map, you can see that just over half of Skyrim is dominated by mountains, the rest is described as "the canyons and mesas of the Reach."

And in addition to those mountains, there are clear valleys where most of the Eastern population lies.

Which is where I'll be most of the time, I don't particularly like the snow all that much all the time. Except if they add some form of sledding. If they add sledding with old-time toboggans, I will definitely be mostly in the mountains. Otherwise I'll roleplay my characters that are most like me being grumpy all the time if they're lost in a blizzard in the middle of the mountains being swarmed by Frost Trolls.
Kat Stewart

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 pm

I've read the descriptions. I've read several ingame books about Skyrim as well as the article provided by the UESP. The place sounds harsh and full of snow to me. If Skyrim wasn't mostly snow and ice, then why give the Falmer the name "Snow Elves"? What about frost trolls? Skyrim could be beautiful, but will it be?

http://ladyn.tamriel-rebuilt.org/Skyrim.php

They might well make it into a generic snowfield, but there's no reason why they couldn't make it as intersting as it has been described, and given his last radio interview Todd seems determined not to end up with a bland culture this time around.

besides, http://www.bized.co.uk/images/fjord.jpg
Steven Hardman

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:31 pm

There will be a lot of ruins along the borders. Skyrim has expanded and retracted it's borders numerous times, leaving plenty of battlefields and forts to explore. However, http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/skyrim.shtml

However, there is no tangible evidence that this Elven community survives outside the imaginations of superstitious villagers

Joe Bonney

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 pm

There will be a lot of ruins along the borders. Skyrim has expanded and retracted it's borders numerous times, leaving plenty of battlefields and forts to explore. However, http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/skyrim.shtml

There has to be some ruins. While they were nomadic, did they not have tombs or small structures built? I read about some tomb and a Falmer weapon.
Avril Louise

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:30 pm

However, http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/skyrim.shtml

I'm sure the racist humanocentric imperials would want you to think that.

Personally, I'm more interested in the nedes and proto-nords than the elves.
Michelle Smith

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 pm

There has to be some ruins. While they were nomadic, did they not have tombs or small structures built? I read about some tomb and a Falmer weapon.

No tangible evidence means no tangible evidence...

If there were any ruins left, past Nords must have somehow destroyed them all because if they still existed, they would have surely been found.
Chavala

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:53 am

That was The Frost Prince (or Snow Prince... Whatever) and it was on Solstheim, I believe, where he was finally killed by a child who witnessed his parents death by the Prince's hand. The Prince was respectfully buried, and his armour was later recovered by the PC in Morrowind, I think. Other than that, the Snow Elves are a long-lost race having been destroyed in this final battle with the Nords.
Eilidh Brian

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:14 am

That was The Frost Prince (or Snow Prince... Whatever) and it was on Solstheim, I believe, where he was finally killed by a child who witnessed his parents death by the Prince's hand. The Prince was respectfully buried, and his armour was later recovered by the PC in Morrowind, I think. Other than that, the Snow Elves are a long-lost race having been destroyed in this final battle with the Nords.

Her mother's death, actually.

But yes, they were nomadic, although nobody knows for sure if they all died, if I remember correctly.
Cccurly

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:28 pm

Her mother's death, actually.

But yes, they were nomadic, although nobody knows for sure if they all died, if I remember correctly.

I stand corrected.

But chances are they all eventually died out. If not, then there probably aren't very many around. Unless there was some underground movement bringing the remnants of the race to move into the mountains or something. But who knows?
Ludivine Dupuy

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:28 am

I stand corrected.

But chances are they all eventually died out. If not, then there probably aren't very many around. Unless there was some underground movement bringing the remnants of the race to move into the mountains or something. But who knows?

Bethesda knows.
Susan Elizabeth

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:48 am

actually the falmer also appeared in shadowkey so there are a few of them left. It not directly said they are falmer but thats the only thing that makes sense.
Darren

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 am

IIRC the PGE also refers to Cyrodiil as being mostly a dense tropical jungle with Colovia being reminiscient of what Oblivion gave us.... So don't bet that is what you will get. Not saying you won't but past experience should tell you not to trust what you read.
Timara White

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 am

Frankly, I don't see what's wrong with Skyrim being mostly snow
Blessed DIVA

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 am

I love snow!

I'm hoping for the next game to feature more than one continent anyway.
Queen of Spades

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:36 pm

for a bunch of fantasy roleplayers, i swear some of you anti-skyrim people have no imagination at all.

a cold climate and mountainous regions doesn't mean endless white hills. I'm imagining tall craggy peaks covered with, yes, snow bordering small river valleys densly packed with pines and firs.

you have to remember things like glaciers, tundra, and frozen-over lakes (sounds cool to me)

and don't forget...most cold places on Earth (our planet, in case you forgot) are dotted with volcanic areas...and volcanic areas change all of the rules of a cold environment.
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:40 am

Tyne new Sega RingWide is going to be released in 2012, and acording to Sega, it's the most advanced console to date. If you don't believe me, then go to an arcade and look for boxes that say Ringwide. I'm sure that Bethesda would choose the most advanced console, so that the game would be an equal of the PC version (and computers are sure to be more powerful in the near future. )
Veronica Flores

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:06 am

Frankly, I don't see what's wrong with Skyrim being mostly snow

Well, if the whole land is just snow, like Solshteim it will get pretty boring
Nicole M

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:27 am

for a bunch of fantasy roleplayers, i swear some of you anti-skyrim people have no imagination at all.

a cold climate and mountainous regions doesn't mean endless white hills. I'm imagining tall craggy peaks covered with, yes, snow bordering small river valleys densly packed with pines and firs.

you have to remember things like glaciers, tundra, and frozen-over lakes (sounds cool to me)

and don't forget...most cold places on Earth (our planet, in case you forgot) are dotted with volcanic areas...and volcanic areas change all of the rules of a cold environment.

Don't forget about the snow vampires of eastern Skyrim!!

"The next day, he did return with more questions, these ones very specific. He wanted to know about the vampires of eastern Skyrim. I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed." -Immortal Blood
djimi

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:39 am

Tyne new Sega RingWide is going to be released in 2012, and acording to Sega, it's the most advanced console to date. If you don't believe me, then go to an arcade and look for boxes that say Ringwide. I'm sure that Bethesda would choose the most advanced console, so that the game would be an equal of the PC version (and computers are sure to be more powerful in the near future. )

Never have I ever heard of this before.
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:34 am

What would be better place for Bethesda to create seasons than Skyrim. I mean in many places of the world like northern parts of America and Europe (Yes I know Elder Scrolls games are located in Tamriel but still) it can be -22F in winters and everyting is white and dead but in summer it can be +77F and everything is green and forests are full of life.
Sian Ennis

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:05 pm

It isn't a console, it's just http://arcadeheroes.com/2009/02/20/sega-reveals-specs-on-its-new-hardware-ringedge-and-ringwide/ http://www.highwaygames.com/body.php3?action=news_st&view=detail&news_id=2672
BlackaneseB

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion