Cumulative Speculation related to TES V #16

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 am

What would be better place for Bethesda to create seasons than Skyrim. I mean in many places of the world like northern parts of America and Europe (Yes I know Elder Scrolls games are located in Tamriel but still) it can be -22F in winters and everyting is white and dead but in summer it can be +77F and everything is green and forests are full of life.

Where I am, it goes from -20 F in the winter (2 feet of snow, slush everywhere, blizzards) to 95 F (dry cracked earth, air conditioners, swimming in water and it isn't too cold) in the summer. Cyrodiil seemed very temperate, and I'm not sure if that's the way it was supposed to be or not.
Miss Hayley

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:35 am

for a bunch of fantasy roleplayers, i swear some of you anti-skyrim people have no imagination at all.

a cold climate and mountainous regions doesn't mean endless white hills. I'm imagining tall craggy peaks covered with, yes, snow bordering small river valleys densly packed with pines and firs.

you have to remember things like glaciers, tundra, and frozen-over lakes (sounds cool to me)

and don't forget...most cold places on Earth (our planet, in case you forgot) are dotted with volcanic areas...and volcanic areas change all of the rules of a cold environment.

I have an imagination. Anyway, the idea of Skyrim has become more acceptable to me. I didn't like the thought of Skyrim originally, but now it has become become something that I want to see.
Charlie Sarson

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:21 am

I have an imagination. Anyway, the idea of Skyrim has become more acceptable to me. I didn't like the thought of Skyrim originally, but now it has become become something that I want to see.

Me too! :D We're in the same boat.

What parts are you looking forward to? I'm curious because maybe you've discovered something interesting I don't know yet. :nod:
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:19 am

for a bunch of fantasy roleplayers, i swear some of you anti-skyrim people have no imagination at all.

a cold climate and mountainous regions doesn't mean endless white hills. I'm imagining tall craggy peaks covered with, yes, snow bordering small river valleys densly packed with pines and firs.

you have to remember things like glaciers, tundra, and frozen-over lakes (sounds cool to me)

and don't forget...most cold places on Earth (our planet, in case you forgot) are dotted with volcanic areas...and volcanic areas change all of the rules of a cold environment.

Don't forget about the snow vampires of eastern Skyrim!!

"The next day, he did return with more questions, these ones very specific. He wanted to know about the vampires of eastern Skyrim. I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed." -Immortal Blood

Both of these are QFT. If done lore-accurately (which the recent interview with Todd Howard suggests they will try to do) then Skyrim could be geographically and culturally diverse, as well as unexplored by lore. after all, it was one of the provinces not explored in the book. Not to mention we need more non-Imperial human lore.
Matt Fletcher

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:43 am

Me too! :D We're in the same boat.

What parts are you looking forward to? I'm curious because maybe you've discovered something interesting I don't know yet. :nod:

I am looking forward to anything related to the Falmer. I know that they were nomadic and didn't leave behind any ruins that we know of, but the Falmer must have left something behind, and I want to know what it is. I want to know more about them, possibly find some artifacts, and maybe find just a few ruins. Even if they were nomadic, they still might have built something. Hopefully, there might be some more lore about them as well.
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:05 pm

I am looking forward to anything related to the Falmer. I know that they were nomadic and didn't leave behind any ruins that we know of, but the Falmer must have left something behind, and I want to know what it is. I want to know more about them, possibly find some artifacts, and maybe find just a few ruins. Even if they were nomadic, they still might have built something. Hopefully, there might be some more lore about them as well.

:nod: So, your views on the Falmer are like that of the Akaviri?
Darrell Fawcett

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:22 am

Well, there wasn't a lot of Dwemer lore before Morrowind. The same can happen with the Falmer and ancient Atmorans if the next game is in Skyrim. I would very much like that, by the way.
TASTY TRACY

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pm

:nod: So, your views on the Falmer are like that of the Akaviri?

No. While I want to find some things related to the Akaviri, I still want them to mostly be a mystery. My views on the Falmer are like my views on the Ayleids and the Dwemer. I want to see anything they left behind and I want as much information about them as possibly. If the Falmer were nomadic, though, I'm not sure if I will find much related to them.

How do we know that Skyrim will the setting for TES V? I've heard it was trademarked by Bethesda, but how do we know that and how possible is it that Skyrim will not be the setting of TES V?
Ronald

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:10 pm

I've heard it was trademarked by Bethesda, but how do we know that

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:hv2h12.2.2, along with the http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:hv2h12.2.1, and the http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:hv2h12.2.3
gemma

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 am

No. While I want to find some things related to the Akaviri, I still want them to mostly be a mystery. My views on the Falmer are like my views on the Ayleids and the Dwemer. I want to see anything they left behind and I want as much information about them as possibly. If the Falmer were nomadic, though, I'm not sure if I will find much related to them.

How do we know that Skyrim will the setting for TES V? I've heard it was trademarked by Bethesda, but how do we know that and how possible is it that Skyrim will not be the setting of TES V?

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:hv2h12.2.2, along with the http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:hv2h12.2.1, and the http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:hv2h12.2.3

What Orzorn said. Also it's almost guaranteed that it will be set in Skyrim because http://www.boliven.com/trademarks/search?q=zenimax&sort=filing_date%20desc&page=1, they've never trademarked a province or a TES-esque name that they haven't used. They did let the trademark for Oblivion expire once but they still used it eventually.
Laura Hicks

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Especially because the last two say "Video Games" and "Computer Games" as well as "Strategy Guides" and "Downloadable Computer Games"

Another note: That means it's been 3 years since they made the first trademark.
michael flanigan

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 am

So, timeline for Bethesda would be:

2002: Morrowind completes, they begin working on Oblvion.
2004: Trademark for Oblivion filed, work on Fallout 3 begins. Todd Howard is working on both.
2006: Oblivion released. Trademarks for Skyrim filed almost 11 months later. Team goes to do?
2007: Shivering Isle's released, team goes to do?
2008: Fallout 3 released. Team goes onto to (next big project)
2009: Fallout DLC completed, team goes onto? Possible Wii game intimated. "New Elderscrolls might be ready by as early as 2010."
Elderscrolls novel released. Other "Oblivion related" new promised, never delivered.
2010: Possible Natal game intimated, unknown if Beth is publishing or developing. Todd Howard announces technical upgrades to engine for "next big game". "Bethesda related announcements" promised in next few weeks. Elderscrolls trivia starts appearing on the Bethesda blog.

Ok, take whatever you want from that. Facts to note: Howard has worked on more than 1 game at a time before. Executives of parent companies aren't known to be out of the loop about what's going on in their companies. The Elderscrolls has come up more and more from Beth; and finally they obviously have at least 2 teams worth of employees working on stuff.

My take: Whatever Wii game they or an affiliate has been working has been designed from the ground up to use motion control. Since Natal has been announced, they figured why not go multiplatform since motion control can now be used cross-platform?

Secondly, it's not only not unknown but has become almost common for studios to upgrade their engines mid development; especially for long term projects. Therefor I posit that work on the Eldercrolls 5 has been going on for a while. However a lot of people always point out how quickly Oblivion and Fallout 3 fell behind on looks. Secondly reviews stating obvious problems with the animation in both games, and (No, I won't say how I know this) artists that work for Bethesda complaining about limited technical tools, especially related to animation, all combine to something.

I think a team has been working on the game since as early as well, early 2006. They got their concepts like location and etc. down by the end of the year and thus the trademarks. However many employees were shifted towards Fallout 3/Oblivion DLC and so it was a relatively small team that was working on the game. Slowly the size of the team has ramped up since then. However, upon the release of Fallout 3 they have decided to shift some of the design of TES V based on reviews and fan reaction to Fallout 3.

Howard and others decided to, among other things, work on a large upgrade to the Bethesda engine. Since a lot of employees were shifted from Fallout 3 finishing to the TES team they'd have plenty more resources. Since Fallout 3 sold fairly well they probably decided they had the financial resources to expand the design as well. Towards the end of 2009, with 3 years of development under it's belt, they were starting to think of announcing the game. However something happened to the marketing team. They delayed it until positions, including a new community manager, could come on board. Now that that's done they restarted the initial marketing buildup for the game.

I.E. we'll see the game announced this year, and things like the trivia and Howard on the podcast are little hints to get the hardcoe fans excited and starting spreading rumors via word of mouth. We'll probably get an announcement and maybe a magazine exclusive before some big all media encompassing showoff at E3 or similar. Depending on how far along they are they'll announce a release date or window, at earliest this holiday season, at latest "sometime" 2011. Not to deliver a blow to anyone, but don't believe the [censored] MS and Sony put out about "not even being halfway through this console cycle". It's a marketing tactic to not scare people away from buying their motion control systems. We'll see a new console, or at least announcement by 2012. I based off market anolysts and comments from technical directors of major studios like Epic (Unreal Engine).
Chloe Mayo

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Todd Howard doesn't even know what the Wii game is. He said the European branch of Bethesda is working on that.
FITTAS

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 am

Todd Howard doesn't even know what the Wii game is. He said the European branch of Bethesda is working on that.

Well there we go, new Elderscrolls game by Todd Howard all but cofirmed! The only other thing this new big project he's working on could possibly be is a new I.P. scheduled for 2011 or beyond. But that's doubtful as you wouldn't want to coincide a big release with new console cycle looming, and if the makers of the Unreal Engine don't know wtf about that then who would?
Rex Help

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Well, there wasn't a lot of Dwemer lore before Morrowind. The same can happen with the Falmer and ancient Atmorans if the next game is in Skyrim. I would very much like that, by the way.

I would aswell :)
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:02 am

snip

:thumbsup:

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=231966 but not Bethesda Game Studios. Hm.
Jack Walker

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:07 pm

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=231966 but not Bethesda Game Studios. Hm.

Sweet? I want to be positive, but I'm just not sure.

PLEASE TES V!!!!
Britta Gronkowski

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:39 am

:thumbsup:

Well they could be there to do a lot of things. They could be showing off New Vegas, they could be showing off Brink, they could be showing off their Natal game, or they could be showing off TESV. We'll see.
Conor Byrne

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Ok, take whatever you want from that. Facts to note: Howard has worked on more than 1 game at a time before. Executives of parent companies aren't known to be out of the loop about what's going on in their companies. The Elderscrolls has come up more and more from Beth; and finally they obviously have at least 2 teams worth of employees working on stuff.

In a most recent interview ith Kotaku radio, Todd fully admitted that he wasn't sold on the animations in the games and said it could be better. If a company addresses where they went wrong, they probably plan on fixing it. We already know, due to various sources that Bethesda's next title is going to be natal based. I honestly believe it would be a lot easier to develop software and technology for a game that involves heavy melee combat, rather than a shooting game like Fallout...
Kyra

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:50 pm

In a most recent interview ith Kotaku radio, Todd fully admitted that he wasn't sold on the animations in the games and said it could be better. If a company addresses where they went wrong, they probably plan on fixing it. We already know, due to various sources that Bethesda's next title is going to be natal based. I honestly believe it would be a lot easier to develop software and technology for a game that involves heavy melee combat, rather than a shooting game like Fallout...
Often Bethesda's idea of fixing it means running too far in the opposite direction. :P
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 pm

We already know, due to various sources that Bethesda's next title is going to be natal based.

Ohhh Noooooo.

No way in hell am I dancing around like an idiot swinging an imaginary sword.
Glu Glu

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:25 am

But why do you talk like they do not exist anymore, Skyrim is made of high mountains, so they could still live even if not in such a huge number, just please Bethesda if you make them don't make them hostile

Player: Hey, cool i found the last living falmer

Falmer: Now you die.....

:banghead:
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 am

I believe that was in reference to http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/pete-hines-bethesdas-mature-wii-game-is-wheelspin/.
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:14 pm

snip

I hope thats right, one of the best timelines i've seen on these forums.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:21 pm

My gut says it'll be in Skyrim. I can't explain it any better than that.
Lory Da Costa

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion