Duel Wielding/Weapon Customization

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:20 pm

LOL

Just try it in reallife some ideas work better in the mind than in reality.

Its like holding two revolvers really. Nice idea in theory, looks cool in movies - only completely inpractical in reality, because you cant aim with the second weapon at all.

Twohanded weapon styles mostly just use the short offhand weapon for parrying, much like a shield, with the added bonus of maybe being able to land an offhand attack if the attacker is not careful enough.

it is for exactly this reason that i doubt it will be implemented. cool in theory, rubbish in practice. i remember some people modded in dual weapons but most of them just ended up with the offhand weapon behaving like a shield but useless.
Lakyn Ellery

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 am

My post from the other thread:
Daggers and short swords would be awesome. Would make it cool to try out a rogue like character.
Lifee Mccaslin

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:23 am

From the other, locked, thread:

I honestly don't see why not. It should come with its own separate skill which can minimise the penalty to block (very important in Skyrim which should be rich with huge Nords wielding huge battle axes) which means that it is more costly skill point wise (depending on Skyrim's levelling system) to maintain, but yeah I don't see why it shouldn't be included.

Rogues especially would benefit both aesthetically and statistically. I don't know about anyone else but having my rogue characters use shields just feels completely wrong, and that other hand is going to waste.

You should only be able to duel wield shortswords and down in terms of weapon size though.
Hussnein Amin

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:40 am

My post from the other thread:
Daggers and short swords would be awesome. Would make it cool to try out a rogue like character.

The problem is it wouldn't be nearly as cool as you are imagining.

Dual-wielding owes itself to awesome combo attacks which just isn't present in TES, without a huge overhaul you would end up with just swinging the weapon of alternating hands at the enemy. Think about it: Pick up two sticks in real life and swing them forward repeatedly. Not exactly awe-inspiring, now is it?

To actually implement it would require a major uplift of the combat system, all for something that benefits really only that one ability: to dual wield. I'd personally rather see any changes to anything to be more widely benefiting rather than see a bunch of effort sink on a singular thing.
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:48 pm

No duel wielding not a Elder Scrolls thing why it would be a major problem i can't see any character duel wield at all mod only.
Shirley BEltran

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:33 am

I actually voted against Dual-Wielding. I'm actually even more against it if it requires a particular skill to use. Why? Because it's simply not possible to balance to an enjoyable level. Either dual-wielding has to be worse than other weapon options, in which case it is pointless, or it better than other options, which makes it overpowered and unbalancing. A third option is to make it equal to other weapon choices in usefulness, in which case it merely becomes a cosmetic feature that takes a lot of development time to implement.

Suppose we are not simply talking about better or worse, but instead different. Then I ask different how? How could you possibly make Dual-Wielding behave in a sufficiently different way to warrant its existence next to the alternatives? Should it let you attack faster? Should it let you deal damage to enemies in a wider arch, allowing you to damage more than a single target 'per hit' or what? I simply don't think there is enough point in dual-wielding to warrant taking the time that would be required to implement it in a way that gives it genuine purpose without being unbalanced.

Balancing, Animation, Controls - I believe that it is simply work better put elsewhere than implementing a gimmicky feature that people generally just want 'because it looks cool'.

On the matter of weapon customization, I chose to be dried up and boring as well. I voted against it. Although the idea of weapon customization sounds intriguing on paper, I have found that games that allow extensive customization in these areas absolutely skewer the uniqueness and excitement of discovering new, enchanted or unique weaponry. Some measure of customization I approve of, but I'd like to keep it within reason. Now, if I can find legendary pieces of weapons as parts of mini quests, or as rare random loot that can be reforged to a new weapon that'd be cool, but even in these situations it should be rare enough to feel special when it happens.
courtnay

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:25 am

I'd love dual wielding, though as a skill. Have it so you need to be an expert in blade and then you can train(sp?) with masters to learn dual wielding, and then higher your skill the more efficient you become in it.
Charlotte Buckley

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:33 pm

I've got no problem with dual-wielding, but not as a simple matter of "put a weapon in your other hand - now your attack is doubled!" Something I suggested for weapons in the past was a stat recommendation level, say, 30 strength and 20 dexterity for a longsword, to toss out some random numbers. You would NOT be required to have those stats to simply use the weapon, instead, the further you are from meeting the recommendation the more you would be penalized for trying it. You'd start out barely able to lift it up (or plain unable, if the gap is large enough), and gradually be able to use it more efficiently as you approach the marker. Using a weapon with two hands would reduce the penalty somewhat, while having something in the off hand would increase it.

Weaker fighters might use a plain sword with two hands to compensate. Those who are more dexterous could use a parrying dagger in the other hand, especially if they lack the strength to use a full shield well. Exceptionally strong warriors might wield an enormous battleaxe with relative ease, surpassing the requirements to manage brutal strikes with it. Attributes getting into 100, though, are pretty much superhuman as far as I'm concerned. If someone has the enormous stats and skills needed, especially if they are magically enhanced to exceed them, they could use two heavy weapons. For many this would never be an option, but for the pinnacle of fighters they could take it up and devastate their enemies. It makes sense to me if it's kept at an "unreal" scope like that, particularly through magical fortification, and frankly fighter-types need some high-level bonuses. Mages can fly around and rain the apocalypse down on their enemies, all fighters can do is wield a sword in exactly the same way, but better. Some hulking nord with gauntlets that increase his already absurd strength, wielding two huge axes and swatting aside foes like tiny blood-filled rag dolls, would be quite a sight.
Liv Staff

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:25 am

A third option is to make it equal to other weapon choices in usefulness, in which case it merely becomes a cosmetic feature that takes a lot of development time to implement.

Haha what? By that logic all weapon types except for one are obsolete.
Monika Fiolek

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:50 am

Haha what? By that logic all weapon types except for one are obsolete.

Yes, but at least with Axes versus Swords you could consider Damage versus Speed ratios. Potentially also Armour Penetration, critical hit chances, backstabbing multipliers and such. I can't see any sensible point of dual-wielding that is not already occupied by a different weapon type or weapon-shield combination. The only cases I've seen where dual-wielding has been more than a gimmicky feature has been the games where it's been superior, or where some weapon types, such as daggers are always wielded as two. Neither of those two are desirable in my opinion.
Add Me

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 am

from what I know (and this is limited to European style of fighting) people generally didn't use two swords they would have daggers just for blocking in their offhand, I would love to see these especially if they could include the sword breaker and main gauche

I do think the adding things to weapons would be an awesome idea and they need to do this with armor also, it is probably too late for Skyrim right now, Bethesda either did it or they didn't
Rachie Stout

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:35 am

Well we still haven't seen this "new" engine so don't give up hope. Who knows what they have done to the combat system.
Liv Staff

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:31 am

Yes, but at least with Axes versus Swords you could consider Damage versus Speed ratios. Potentially also Armour Penetration, critical hit chances, backstabbing multipliers and such. I can't see any sensible point of dual-wielding that is not already occupied by a different weapon type or weapon-shield combination. The only cases I've seen where dual-wielding has been more than a gimmicky feature has been the games where it's been superior, or where some weapon types, such as daggers are always wielded as two. Neither of those two are desirable in my opinion.

Well if you're talking DPS... why can't dual wielding offer a happy medium between shortsword and longsword? Dual wielding should carry penalties to accuracy and block, but be better in terms of speed. It should be a strike first and strike fast combat style with dodging taking precedence over blocking: perfect for rogues.
Rachael Williams

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:56 am

I would love for them to add dual wielding into Skyrim, I especially would dual wield two war axes as a Nord.
Roy Harris

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:58 pm

I think that Dual Wielding would be a wonderful addition to the game, but putting a weapon in your off hand should carry severe penalties (-35 weapon skill, -50% critical chance ect..) but offer the increased attack speed by allowing to attack with one hand while the other is drawing back from an attack. If anyone really thinks that dual wielding is stupid, they just won't use it. Personally I don't use magic, I find it overpowered and cheaty/gimmicky. Which is an even bigger reason why I want dual wielding, if I spend all that time and effort to make my super brute character a walking calvary I want something more at the end of that journey than just Deadric armor and a claymore.
Samantha hulme

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 am

Dual wielding: I believe it should be implemented into the game as a skill that is expensive/time consuming to train, but comes with great benefits.

Weapon customization: Weapon customization would be really nice. I think you should also have the option to make your own weapons. For example you can forge a katana blade once your armorer skill reaches 100. Forging weapons could also be done through blacksmiths, but for really high price.
LuBiE LoU

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:06 am

I'm not a fan of duel wielding.
BEl J

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:09 am

i like the idea of duel wielding as long as they don't make the animation look like "Two Worlds" because that was rediculous... and i would love more customization especially if they bring back wakizashi's and more katana's
Patrick Gordon

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:46 am

I don't want to see dual wielding. At the very least, I would need some convincing.
helen buchan

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 am

As long as I don't have to push another button, move my mouse a certain direction while holding down yet another button and standing on my head...the sure, dualing is fine :shrug:
Catherine N

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 pm

I want the Trainer to be named Hex. If you followed the modding forum not so long ago, you will know why.
{Richies Mommy}

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:12 am

I loved the dual wielding style in dragon age, but then again thats a whole different kind of game. Benthesa would have to make it really good or not bother adding it at all. So I'm not sure it worth of all that trouble. Instead I'd rather have them making available combat styles more complex and fun. For example a shield has always been a rather passive thing in player's hand while in reality a shield was also used for attacking.. I'd rather see them expanding combat into that direction. Or how about improving archery into more real like? Arrows behaving in a realistic manner? Crossbows? Flying daggers? Now that would be cool :) Proper staves/spears for once? Proper combat style for two handers? Usefull acrobatic moves?
Sxc-Mary

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 am

These are two of the biggest things I'm hoping for.
OJY

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:09 am

I don't care much for dual wielding, whether in a duel at the time or not.

If they put it in, fine- but I wonder how they'd go about things. It should, as others have said, have both benefits and penalties. Typical penalty is to accuracy- but if combat isn't seriously overhauled from Oblivion, accuracy is a non-factor since you never miss. Sooo...if that's the system, does it get added as a skill and the offhand weapon does squat for damage until your dual-wield skill is high enough? :shrug:
Albert Wesker

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm

I've never seen a game have dual wielding that wasn't just a one button swing both weapons type deal I think it looks terrible and isn't that much fun to play.
Weapon customization on the other hand, I've love to have a telekinesis enchanted claymore and be able to throw it around like a boomerang. :gun:
JD bernal

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim