Duel Wielding/Weapon Customization

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 am

Alright, so I always wanted duel wielding in Oblivion and was disappointed when it wasn't there. Also, I would love more customization in weapons. Like being able to make the blade red. Or have a curved blade like a cutlass but have it two handed. Just things like that.
Add Me

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:15 pm

New weapon types are fine, as long as they fit well with the Skyrim combat system.
Dawn Farrell

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:22 am

Duel wielding would be good, but it should be hard to master. I would like see it be a skill
James Potter

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 am

What exactly is duel wielding. Do I wield an entire duel, because that would be epic.

On a more serious note, yes I think dual wielding should be included, but restricted. I don't want to see a Bosmer thief rocking two long swords.
Stacyia

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Dual Weilding should affect the speed and fluidity of attacks and the base weapon skill should govern damage of each hit. And what you can dual wield should depend on strength, at 25-50 strength, only daggers. 50-75 short swords and small axes 75-100 long swords and realistic hammers (if they are even in the game.)
xxLindsAffec

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:51 am

woah, voting is kind of even. community split on this one.
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Yeah, for consoles each triggers works each weapon and holding both would block.

I think everything needs as much customization as possible.
kitten maciver

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:41 am

They should add katanas and other short blades/light blades that can be dual-wielded. Any race should be able to dual wield, as the weapons are light that are used for it. But if it is an entire own skill, it would have to have enough different weapons in it, and I just can't understand how two clubs possibly could be of any use to you.
hannah sillery

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 am

I don't care too much about dual wielding, but I definitely feel strongly that if it is included, it should be limited to small one-handed blades (daggers, dirks, stilettos, knives), and there should be some penalties for dual wielding (lower weapon accuracy, attack speed, and total defense rating or something). I don't think there should be a skill involved.

As for weapon customization, I think it would be cool but I'm not particularly fussed about it. Nothing too fancy, maybe just being able to alter your handle, trim, and any other decorations, like a small crest at the base of the blade. Also, maybe the option of altering the physical appearance of a weapon when it is enchanted (e.g. when you put a fire damage spell on a blade, you have the option of changing the appearance so that the blade will light on fire or glow red whenever it is unsheathed; or when you put an ice damage enchantment on a blade, you can choose to make the blade look like a shard of ice instead of whatever metal it really is).
rheanna bruining

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:35 am

They should add katanas and other short blades/light blades that can be dual-wielded. Any race should be able to dual wield, as the weapons are light that are used for it. But if it is an entire own skill, it would have to have enough different weapons in it, and I just can't understand how two clubs possibly could be of any use to you.

Your mind can't grasp how having a weapon in each hand could be useful?
Phillip Hamilton

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Dual wielding could work for something like maces and daggers, however, like in D&D, there needs to be significant drawbacks from just doing it, dual-wielding is also something that owes itself more specifically to a fluid more-actiony combo-hit style of combat rather than the combat system as-is. Holding two daggers and just going stabbity-stab with alternating hands would just look dumb.

So, without significant overhaul, I don't think it should be implemented, and given the minor pros compared to the costs of implementing it, I say it isn't worth it.
sas

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

I would love to see a broad dual wield ability but have it rely on a strength stat for each different type of weapon (e.g. dual daggers only requires 5 strength while war-hammers require 35) as well as further deplete the fatigue bar with each offhand swing (your character having to not only hold but swing both weapons would require more energy) this would prompt more spending into strength and endurance feats for those wanting to spend the extra points for a dual wielding character while at the same time preventing low level characters or smaller supposedly stealthier characters from immediately picking up the largest two weapons available

*Edit: the low strength stats are just an example and used the first two arbitrary numbers that came to mind
Daniel Lozano

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:40 am

I don't care too much about dual wielding, but I definitely feel strongly that if it is included, it should be limited to small one-handed blades (daggers, dirks, stilettos, knives), and there should be some penalties for dual wielding (lower weapon accuracy, attack speed, and total defense rating or something). I don't think there should be a skill involved.

As for weapon customization, I think it would be cool but I'm not particularly fussed about it. Nothing too fancy, maybe just being able to alter your handle, trim, and any other decorations, like a small crest at the base of the blade. Also, maybe the option of altering the physical appearance of a weapon when it is enchanted (e.g. when you put a fire damage spell on a blade, you have the option of changing the appearance so that the blade will light on fire or glow red whenever it is unsheathed; or when you put an ice damage enchantment on a blade, you can choose to make the blade look like a shard of ice instead of whatever metal it really is).
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am

Please explain how two clubs possibly can be better than a shield and a club? Note: i'm talking about clubs, not short srowds that are nimble and quick. Clubs are too clumsy to be of any real use dual-wielded.
Nick Pryce

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 am

Please explain how two clubs possibly can be better than a shield and a club? Note: i'm talking about clubs, not short srowds that are nimble and quick. Clubs are too clumsy to be of any real use dual-wielded.

i suspect people want dual wielding more for the fact that it looks cool than for any real strategic or tactical benefits
Shannon Lockwood

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:47 pm

Dual wielding could work for something like maces and daggers, however, like in D&D, there needs to be significant drawbacks from just doing it, dual-wielding is also something that owes itself more specifically to a fluid more-actiony combo-hit style of combat rather than the combat system as-is. Holding two daggers and just going stabbity-stab with alternating hands would just look dumb.

So, without significant overhaul, I don't think it should be implemented, and given the minor pros compared to the costs of implementing it, I say it isn't worth it.

I agree. Pros don't outweigh the cons on this issue. I've always viewed dual wielding as somewhat gimmicky and it strikes me as being non-TES.
Liv Brown

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am

I like to see dual wielding. It is not that TES is realistic world, it is fantasy where you have orc's and elf's

But I want it to be skill and like DnD, there should be drawbacks doing so. Maybe decreased damage based on your strength attribute.
Alex Blacke

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:29 am

Dual Wielding should be a skill.

And I encourage any amount of customization, weapons or otherwise.
mike

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 am

Dual wielding is just silly, if added it must be an ability but I would advise not adding it whatsoever.

Customization should be included in the form of metalworking, where you make the components of the blade and then combine them together.
Amy Cooper

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:23 am

Duel weilding is nice but i'm more interested in being able to customize my weapons at least a little bit.
Silvia Gil

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 am

People often posted threads in the Oblivion mods forum asking for dual wielding to be introduced. When it finally was via a number of mods (e.g Skycaptain's Deadly Reflex) people discovered that the idea of dual wielding they constructed in their heads was far better than the reality of what it actually entailed. They were underwhelmed and rather than "Oh wow check out this cool dual wielding mod" it just faded into the background (not that Deadly Reflex faded into the background, just that there weren't dozens of people posting 'how cool is it that we can dual wield'.. In other words if dual wielding is introduced in Skyrim do not expect it to be some amazing thing, all you'll be doing is swinging alternating arms.
Matt Terry

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:40 pm

People often posted threads in the Oblivion mods forum asking for dual wielding to be introduced. When it finally was via a number of mods (e.g Skycaptain's Deadly Reflex) people discovered that the idea of dual wielding they constructed in their heads was far better than the reality of what it actually entailed. They were underwhelmed and rather than "Oh wow check out this cool dual wielding mod" it just faded into the background (not that Deadly Reflex faded into the background, just that there weren't dozens of people posting 'how cool is it that we can dual wield'.. In other words if dual wielding is introduced in Skyrim do not expect it to be some amazing thing, all you'll be doing is swinging alternating arms.

dual weilding has always seemed gimmiky to me. to only rpg that i can recall that pulled it off was dragon age but that gmae has very little in common with TES in terms of structure.
Kelly John

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:06 am

"Duel wielding" lol ! Its dual wielding. Nothing to do with duels !

Also, I would much more prefer to have real one and a half weapons. Seeing my character use a Katana or even better a Grosses Messer like its used in reality = extremely cool.

For the second hand, I'm perfectly good with Shields, Bucklers, Parrying Daggers and Parrying Wakizashi, like they are used in reallife.
Danny Blight

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:28 pm

LOL

Just try it in reallife some ideas work better in the mind than in reality.

Its like holding two revolvers really. Nice idea in theory, looks cool in movies - only completely inpractical in reality, because you cant aim with the second weapon at all.

Twohanded weapon styles mostly just use the short offhand weapon for parrying, much like a shield, with the added bonus of maybe being able to land an offhand attack if the attacker is not careful enough.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Dual Wielding should be a skill.

And I encourage any amount of customization, weapons or otherwise.

Nah, not really.

Customization should always be meaningful.
tegan fiamengo

Next

Return to V - Skyrim