Fallout 3 - Coop - Multiplayer - Partially working

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:13 am

Hello, I am a new user on this board so please cut me some slack. I know all about how hard it is to make Fallout 3 coop and about the many discussions on this topic. I have made a Fallout 3 mod that allows 2 players on the same screen and same computer to play through the game.. It is not perfect yet...for instance the weapons on the 2nd player do not quite fire right yet...but they do fire and they do kill... My brother and I played through Fallout 3 when it came out on 2 computers and had no coop. The mod we have made at least lets you play through the game together...Again it is not perfect and I do expect everyone to say that this is BS...but I will be posting some youtube videos soon. The big question: Will it work on New Vegas? That depends on how long it takes for the FOSE to work on New Vegas. We will post the mod when it works a little bit better....but there is hope for all who want coop in Fallout....granted...its not 100% 2 computers coop, but it is coop. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Have you tried to create a Virtual Server to make it work for multiple console (aka LAN)
gemma king

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:57 am

What he's done is not multiplayer as you would expect. It's not really multiplayer at all. It's an NPC controlled through script and keypresses.

The mod places one NPC placed near Megaton who is set to follow the player, and has the following script on it:
Spoiler

ScriptName amxPlayerControlfloat player2xfloat player2yint idleint holsteredref npcint jumpingfloat jumpheightfloat maxjumpheightfloat jumpforcefloat npcmass 1float gravity -9.8int jumpcountshort doOnceGetClothesshort pantsPercentshort shirtPercentshort shoesPercentint firedelaycountint weaponcfloat aimangle 0int vx2; keys "16: Q17: W18: E19: R20: T21: Y22: U23: I24: O25: P30: A31: S32: D33: F34: G35: H36: J37: K38: L44: Z45: X46: C47: V48: B49: N50: M" ;   * -1 - none ;   * 0 - ANIM_ACTION_EQUIP_WEAPON ;   * 1 - ANIM_ACTION_UNEQUIP_WEAPON ;   * 2 - ANIM_ACTION_ATTACK ;   * 3 - ANIM_ACTION_ATTACK_FOLLOW_THROUGH ;   * 4 - ANIM_ACTION_ATTACK_THROW ;   * 5 - ANIM_ACTION_ATTACK_THROW_ATTACH ;  * 6 - ANIM_ACTION_BLOCK ;   * 7 - ANIM_ACTION_RECOIL ;   * 8 - ANIM_ACTION_RELOAD ;   * 9 - ANIM_ACTION_STAGGER ;   * 10 - ANIM_ACTION_DODGE;    * 11 - ANIM_ACTION_WAIT_FOR_LOWER_BODY_ANIM;    * 12 - ANIM_ACTION_WAIT_FOR_SPECIAL_IDLE;    * 13 - ANIM_ACTION_FORCE_SCRIPT_ANIM begin GameMode	set idle to 1	set npc to getcontainer	npc.setplayerteammate 1	npc.removefromallfactions	npc.removescriptpackage	npc.addscriptpackage amxFollow2	npc.setignorefriendlyhits 999	npc.setav responsibility 1	npc.setav assistance 2	npc.setav aggression 1	npc.setav confidence 4	ref rSelf	set rSelf to GetSelf	;npc.AddtoFaction PartyFaction 1	;npc.setfactionrank PlayerFaction 1	SetAlert 1if GetKnockedState == 0	if IsKeyPressed 25 ==1		if npc.GetAnimAction != 2			set firedelaycount to firedelaycount + 1			if firedelaycount > 2				set firedelaycount to 0				set idle to 0								PlayGroup AttackPower 0				if getEquipped WeapFlamer == 1					FireWeapon WeapFlamer				endif				if getEquipped WeapLaserPistol == 1					FireWeapon WeapLaserPistol 				endif				if getEquipped Weap10mmPistol == 1					FireWeapon Weap10mmPistol 				endif				if getEquipped WeapLaserRifle == 1					;FireWeapon WeapLaserRifle 				endif				if getEquipped WeapMissileLauncher == 1					FireWeapon WeapMissileLauncher				endif				 if getEquipped WeapShotgunCombat == 1					FireWeapon WeapShotgunCombat				endif				 if getEquipped WeapMinigun == 1					FireWeapon WeapMinigun				endif							endif		endif	endif	if IsKeyPressed 36 ==1			; key J			set player2x to player2x - 200			Rotate Z player2x			if idle == 1				PlayGroup TurnLeft 2			endif		set idle to 0	endif	if IsKeyPressed 38 ==1			;key - L			set player2x to player2x+200			Rotate Z player2x			if idle == 1				PlayGroup TurnRight 2			endif			set idle to 0	endifset vx2 to vx2 + 1	if IsKeyPressed 24 ==1		if idle==1			if npc.isAnimPlaying Equip == 0		;if npc.GetAnimAction != 0			; key o			if getEquipped OutfitJumpsuitTLHandyman== 0				equipItem OutfitJumpsuitTLHandyman			endif						if vx2 >50				set vx2 to 0			endif			if vx2 ==0FireWeapon Weap10mmPistol 						int vx			set vx to 1			if weaponc == 1 && vx == 1				equipItem WeapShotgunCombat				set vx to 0			endif			if weaponc  == 2 && vx == 1				set vx to 0				equipItem WeapMissileLauncher			endif			if weaponc  == 3 && vx == 1				set vx to 0				equipItem WeapFlamer			endif			if weaponc == 4 && vx == 1				set vx to 0				equipItem WeapLaserPistol			endif			if weaponc == 5 && vx == 1				set vx to 0				equipItem Weap10mmPistol			endif			if weaponc == 6 && vx == 1				set vx to 0				equipItem WeapLaserRifle			endif			if weaponc == 7 && vx == 1				set vx to 0				equipItem WeapMinigun			endif			set weaponc to weaponc + 1			if weaponc > 7				set weaponc to 1			endif			endif			;PlayGroup Equip 0			set idle to 0			endif		endif		endif	if IsKeyPressed 23 ==1		;if npc.isAnimPlaying FastForward == 0			; forward - i			;set player2y to player2y+10		if idle == 1			PlayGroup FastForward 0		endif			set idle to 0			;PlayGroup Idle 1		;endif	endif	if IsKeyPressed 37 ==1			PlayGroup FastBackward 0			set idle to 0	endif	if IsKeyPressed 35 ==1		;key H - return home			Moveto Player	endif	if IsKeyPressed 22 ==1			;key U		if jumping == 0			;PlayGroup JumpStart 0			;PlayGroup BlockHit 0			PlayGroup JumpLoopForward 0			;PushActorAway rSelf 1			;PlayGroup JumpLoop 0			set idle to 0			set jumping to 1			set maxjumpheight to GetPos Z + 100			set jumpforce to 10			set jumpcount to 0		endif			set jumpcount to jumpcount + 1			float zPos						;float finaljumpforce 			;set finaljumpforce to jumpforce-gravity			set zPos to GetPos Z + jumpforce			if jumpcount < 10				SetPos Z zPos			endif			set jumpforce to jumpforce * 0.95			;if GetPos Z < maxjumpheight			;	set jumpheight to jumpheight + jumpforce			;endif	else		set jumping to 0		set jumpheight to 0		set jumpforce to 0	endif	if IsKeyPressed 49 ==1		set aimangle to aimangle + 3	endif	if IsKeyPressed 50 ==1		set aimangle to aimangle - 3	endif	if aimangle > 90		set aimangle to 90	endif	if aimangle < -90		set aimangle to -90	endifendif	SetAngle X aimangle	if idle == 1		PlayGroup Idle 0	endif	set player2x to player2x * 0.3	set player2y to player2y * 0.3	;Player.SetPos Z zPos;=======;Teleport;=======if(npc.GetDistance player>500)	npc.moveto player	printtoconsole "SCC: %n too far. Moving to player." npcendif;===========;End Teleport;===========;if(npc.GetIsCurrentPackage aaaFollow == 0 );	npc.removescriptpackage;	npc.addscriptpackage amxFollow;endifend

So basically, it's an NPC scripted to play certain animations based on key presses of the player. If you press P, the script triggers a firing animation for the NPC, after which the NPC will switch to another weapon. N and M influence aim angle. If you press O then the NPC equips a certain clothing piece. And like that it has a few other animations you can make it play, like jumping or turning around, and having it walk a bit.

Interesting script, but I don't see this going anywhere. You may be able to 'play' with two people on one PC and have one guy control the NPC somewhat (while seeing things from the Player's point of view) with a few random keyboard keys, but the NPC control would always be very limited.
Kevan Olson

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:46 am

What a sad statement of this community this thread gives. That's why I very seldom pass by in bethesda forum.
City Swagga

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 am

@GreenGriffin : IF you can't do what he has done or if you can't even try what he has done then i would kindly advice you to (censored).. Sorry mods..had to say this. One guy comes to this forum asking for help or suggestions to a mod and people over here tear him apart just because they like to make an ass outa themselves and hurt someone else's hard work...

What a shame .....

@Amusemant : Don't let a few rotten eggs spoil your day, I would like you to continue developing this mod...
Sam Parker

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:09 am

What a sad statement of this community this thread gives. That's why I very seldom pass by in bethesda forum.

Yeah I don't think so ... As was stated on the last page there is already http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1078905-i-quit-someone-stole-my-newest-multiplayer-files/ (I can't find the thread where he blamed everyone else for it not working even though they didn't work on it) for people hoaxing and lying about this kind of mod. So if you are told that this is the history on a forum then turn around and say that teasing people is the only joy you get before releasing a mod then you are adding gas to the fire of resentment.

Combine that with an attitude of "well since you all don't want to be teased and let me have my fun then I'll go be a martyr and walk away in shock about how rude you all are - so you finish it as I'm just the suffering grand architect who started the project."

Not to dis the work - it is interesting - but the presentation needs work. That the NPC you can control was designed to look like a clown is part of that presentation too when you think about it.

If it had been presented as something other than co-op or multiplayer and as a unique idea on how to control things on the screen and there was none of this 'look at what I did that said can't be done' then I'd bet people would have jumped on the wagon and helped develop something more.
Emilie Joseph

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:52 am

Yeah I don't think so ... As was stated on the last page there is already http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1078905-i-quit-someone-stole-my-newest-multiplayer-files/ (I can't find the thread where he blamed everyone else for it not working even though they didn't work on it) for people hoaxing and lying about this kind of mod. So if you are told that this is the history on a forum then turn around and say that teasing people is the only joy you get before releasing a mod then you are adding gas to the fire of resentment.

Where did he tease the people before , he told its unfinished, he told it needed more work and personally script or not, if i am controlling that character i.e multi player for me. Its sad people have to be such an ass on the forum

Combine that with an attitude of "well since you all don't want to be teased and let me have my fun then I'll go be a martyr and walk away in shock about how rude you all are - so you finish it as I'm just the suffering grand architect who started the project."

Isn't that really the case ? Instead of co-operating and talking with civility about the mod few people did become an ass. These kinda responses are the perfect example of how to get someone to stop working on a mod.. Pathetic responses from few people here

Not to dis the work - it is interesting - but the presentation needs work. That the NPC you can control was designed to look like a clown is part of that presentation too when you think about it.

You expected a supermodel ? Gimme a break , rather lame excuse for criticizing a mod .

If it had been presented as something other than co-op or multiplayer and as a unique idea on how to control things on the screen and there was none of this 'look at what I did that said can't be done' then I'd bet people would have jumped on the wagon and helped develop something more.

If i can control another charecter on the same game with someone else. I don't fing care how its done.. that's multiplayer for me.. Maybe nerds have a different version of multiplayer .. I would call it "Hotseat"
DarkGypsy

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:54 am

Ok this is silly ... really?

He was seen as teasing when he doesn't show his work and makes claims. Now maybe teasing isn't the right word - but not being upfront with even some of the mechanics. Then as I quoted http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1123635-fallout-3-coop-multiplayer-partially-working/page__view__findpost__p__16688319 stating that the only fun he gets is out of the build up before releasing the mod. [paraphrase].

I tried to explain the precedent and though I can't find it now there was a thread on here within the last few months by a modder who blamed everyone else for multiplayer not working because people here didn't help him with it and all the while did not offer to share any of the info. All too familiar tone.

Amusemant came through and presented this and showed all what was done - I never criticized the mod ... It is interesting. But if I were to critique then I'd say it would be more interesting if it were a remote controlled vehicle or robot - that would make sense as something only the character could see. If one were accused of hoaxing then turn around and make the character you control have the likeness of a clown - what?

What I did critique was presentation and unlike Green Griffon I tried to explain why he was having a lukewarm response. Is that mean or ass-like to try and explain that? Only adulation is the appropriate response?

So save your insults and learn how to read ... nerds ... indeed.
Hope Greenhaw

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:38 pm

Presentation...seriously ? what presentation do you expect from a mod which is in its initial stages .. Not sure why people get so dumb and need a red carpet for everything...

Instead of telling me how to read go back and read your own posts and some other posts... People don't learn until they get the taste of their own medicine...

:thumbsdown:
Roisan Sweeney

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 am

*cough*

Not to spoil the party or anything, but I'd suggest we drop the personal attacks. Thanks.

8. The only criticism that is allowed here is constructive criticism and that is welcome.

Constructive criticism criticizes a proposed idea. Criticism that is directed against one person, be it a modder, another member, an individual developer, a certain moderator or a group effort are all forbidden.
This means that when you voice your concerns, please do so in a way that offers a vehicle for improvement. If you see something going wrong, feel free to say so, but also say something about how to set it right.

It also means that posts that run down other members or factions among the membership who may not agree with you are still out under the rules against flaming and flamebaiting.

Portions

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 am

Jesus guys, his intentions were pretty apparent from his initial post, he wasn't promising the world. No need to blast him like that, especially not someone new.

amusemant, haters gonna hate, don't let those people get you down. Thanks for sharing your mod it's a cool idea, with barely 2 minutes of work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ojfm7EAcI

It's all just a matter of creativity, which some people here seem to lack.
Solina971

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 am

Just to be clear I wasn't trying to blast anyone - just giving feedback about the precedent and explaining why the presentation of it was not getting a lot of responses. I was hoping that seeing there was a precedent that he would understand and maybe alter the presentation a bit.

Wow - I'm not even the one who was saying things like "I'm calling him out." I will respect the moderator and say nothing more of the topic except I apologize I was not trying to insult, just shed light.

The critique of the mod was constructive and along the lines of what Kai did to alter the mod.

I don't have a joystick, but was wondering if for those that do take this up to make something that other key combos could be used. I'm thinking of the oblivion mod http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29688 where you climb on board a ship and with the normal AWSD control the character and then over on the keyboard the keys JIKL control the ship ... that way a ship can be set in a motion and then you can go back to riding and maneuvering your character.
Melanie

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 am

WOW just wow I'm new to this whole modding thing and was thinking about trying it . But I'm not so sure anymore. I read all posts and watched all vids from amusemant and also the ones from the other guy that I guess was just working the crowd so to speak.and i can understand SOME of the doubt . And to be honest (and i say this in the hopes it will help you in the future) green Griffin and Psymon its for you two that i say these things . Like i said i can understand SOME of the doubt because of the above mentioned and what transpired . And it was stated that the presentation was a big part of your reasoning. Well thats a two lane road. Do you guys think your presentation to a new member was any better ? Sorry to break it to you it just might of been the reason i no longer want to even join the modding group. You cant go though life like that, just because you might have gotten burned before? Does that mean you will act like you did the rest of your life ? Never trusting anyones words but instead needing hard proof (right here right now) .Will you forever need proof before you believe? do you no longer have faith in your fellow man ? I truly hope not for your sake , thats not a very nice road to tread and will only lead to more disappointment in the years to come.

I want to say TRUST me on this because i know. I walked that road for many years, but I'm not sure if i should even bother ? The KEY word is (trust) this is mostly directed to green Griffin but to a lesser extent to Psymon .But i would like to say to Psymon you might not of been as hash as green was . But you were trying to imply some things on the basis of his screen name alone, Really? Thats some gift you have there Could i get a reading from you, using my screen name. What does my screen name tell you about me ?

Again about the presentation part. If ANY of us does something above and beyond the norm of most. Do you think that you/me wouldn't be proud of yourself, and excited about it ? Maybe boast a little and/or make a big claim to tell everyone .You know you would its human nature to do so. Its the purpose behind the NBA ,NFL, MLB and NHL etc. To be able to boast that your team is # 1 that year. Even more so when they/you have done something that has been said cant be done or against the odds. But to chew him up and spit him out like you did. ( For what appeared to me) this very thing its a pretty sad reflection on the modding group IMHO. I hope its not a majority that would act like some did in this thread.? He was excited and seeking help to better himself and the mod. And the modding community as a whole. And hopefully hes not emotionally scared by it . To the point where he stops modding all together. Hell you were not saying those things to me. And it left me feeling like i should not even get started modding at all .(truth) And his comment about the joy he gets from the mod right before its released, being the best time for him . What he was meaning was, i believe from the excitement and well deserved praise form all of us for what he has done. That is yet another human trait that most of us share and actively seek.

People these days are more and more loosing some of their people skills because of using computers so much. They forget there is another human on the other end and act rude, nasty and sometimes very mean. You have no idea what emotional state the other person is in at the time . They could be on the edge or at the point of no return for all you know. And i hope when mine/your time is up , that we don't find out that someone took their own life. Just because of something you/me said to them in a forum chat . Mostly because at that time, it will be to late to change our ways. I'm almost 100% sure this very thing has happened to some of us already . We just don't know it yet. Luckily we can still change some of our imperfections for the better.

What you guys took as skirting the issues of "hard proof" "technical or otherwise" could of been any number of reasons . He could of been a very shy person when it comes to talking in public. Or like green Griffin stated " Your claiming to of done this major thing and you want to know something as simple as how to loop the inventory?" It came across to me that yes he was inexperienced about some things. Hell we all are to some extent about different things . But realize this, not everyone thinks the same way .Some think outside the box I'm happy to say I'm one of those and amusemant From what i could tell is also one. But hey if after i post this he comes back to say sorry he WAS trying to FOOL us . Do you think it's going to bother me , it will a little bit for maybe a day or so. But not enough to become cynical or down right rude and calling people out . Basically calling them a lier . Or like my mother said once NEVER
" assume " anything . Because when you do. Well you will just end up making an ASS (out of) U (and) ME = ASSUME. There will come a time when you might not have time to see Hard Proof. You will have to choose on the spot what to do, i hope you will be ready for that when the time comes.

Last i would like to say to Amusemant You come across to me as a unique thinker from what little Ive seen , Bravo to that. (and Ive spent my whole life studying people) So I'm a very good judge of people in a very little amount of time. I'm honored to meet you . But be aware that IMHO i felt as though you caved/gave in because of one thing the evil " Peer Pressure " Be very careful because their are people out there in the world that, can and will use that against you. If your nor careful And also i hope you continue to work on your project with/or without others. And many more in the future . And most important don't let this change you . NEVER stop asking questions , its the quickest road to knowledge
Eire Charlotta

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:12 am

Jesus guys, his intentions were pretty apparent from his initial post, he wasn't promising the world. No need to blast him like that, especially not someone new.

amusemant, haters gonna hate, don't let those people get you down. Thanks for sharing your mod it's a cool idea, with barely 2 minutes of work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ojfm7EAcI

That is actually a rather [censored] amazing idea.
Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 am

Awesome !!! when can you release this for download ??
sally R

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 am

wow this is pretty cool stuff here... too bad the community didn't work together... regardless of what you think it's a pretty imaginative idea... +props... It's fun messing around killing the clown LOL
Eve(G)

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 pm

So amusemant never came back huh? Thats to bad form what i hear he contributed something pretty unique . Its a shame how bad things went I wonder what other things he has come up with ?
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:19 am

I wouldn't come back... the way he was treated...
emma sweeney

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:17 am

Wow, I never thought someones idea would be shot down so violently.
Elea Rossi

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:39 am

Skepticism towards these mods on this forum dates back to Morrowind, because of the various troll threads made on them. It's only natural people don't believe him until he actually posts the mod or other evidence that it's real (besides a video with an npc that looks like it's just a trick). The behavior towards him is his fault. If he'd just made a release thread/post initially, the thread would be a lot more constructive.
Mel E

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:49 am

I'm pretty new to these forums myself. I first posted in the Rp/FanFic threads with absolutely no idea of how Rp worked. I asked for pointers and the guys there were very helpful and constructive. I am now quite active in the Rp threads.

I am very glad that I didn't post here first, because I believe that if my first impression of the community was the mauling the OP took for sharing a new idea and asking for pointers, then I too wouldn't have come back.

I honestly didn't think that the skepticism was a problem when I read the first few posts, but every time the OP added anything the same people popped up every time to say "I still don't believe you."
I found this to be about the same as when a child sulks in the corner of the room saying "Shut up" over and over again when someone is talking. I found this to be very rude.

To Amusemant I say: Good idea mate. Shame it wasn't recieved as well as it could have been, but wherever you go you'll have to deal with people like that. Just because they haven't done it, it can't be done and anyone who claims to do so must be lying. (Remember that at one point only ideots believed the world was round.) Keep trying to make the 2 player mod and don't let the [censored]'s get you down.
Shiarra Curtis

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 pm

no thekettle, it isn't about him being punished for coming up with a new idea, that's beyond [censored]. it's about people thinking he's just a "multiplayer troll" of which there have been many on this forum.
Portions

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:27 am

He still was threated like garbage even after he presented a file download.
Sharra Llenos

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 am

...(besides a video with an npc that looks like it's just a trick)...

I'm sorry, but if you can make an NPC walk and act like the 'npc' in that video did, you are the god of all that exists. I would like to see that if you do it.

In other words, the video didnt really look fake at all. It would be pretty damn hard (and by that I mean impossible) to make an NPC act like that. I think the slashing he got was purely from the stupid portion of the forums that are oversensitive about things and dont read thoroughly and only want to spout out the first thing they think. I do hope he comes back, and I do hope he works on this.
ijohnnny

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:40 am

no thekettle, it isn't about him being punished for coming up with a new idea, that's beyond [censored]. it's about people thinking he's just a "multiplayer troll" of which there have been many on this forum.

So I post in this subforum for the first time and my comments are described as "Beyond [censored]". Way to welcome a newcomer to the forum there guy. My only real issue was that the same guys came back to blast him every time he tried to add some comment. Immediately the same guys were back time after time saying "It can't be done" "You are a liar". I guess rudeness is something that just comes naturally to some people.
D IV

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:25 am

So I post in this subforum for the first time and my comments are described as "Beyond [censored]". Way to welcome a newcomer to the forum there guy. My only real issue was that the same guys came back to blast him every time he tried to add some comment. Immediately the same guys were back time after time saying "It can't be done" "You are a liar". I guess rudeness is something that just comes naturally to some people.

We, the normal and down to earth members and modders, try to just ignore the little ones, for often, they no not what they say in their perceived ignorance, and spout [censored]e.

Have a fishy, kettle, and welcome to our house :)

crap, no fishysticks.. sowweee... have a thumb instead, you earned it :goodjob:
Kayleigh Williams

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3