Fallout 3 - Coop - Multiplayer - Partially working

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello, I am a new user on this board so please cut me some slack. I know all about how hard it is to make Fallout 3 coop and about the many discussions on this topic. I have made a Fallout 3 mod that allows 2 players on the same screen and same computer to play through the game.. It is not perfect yet...for instance the weapons on the 2nd player do not quite fire right yet...but they do fire and they do kill... My brother and I played through Fallout 3 when it came out on 2 computers and had no coop. The mod we have made at least lets you play through the game together...Again it is not perfect and I do expect everyone to say that this is BS...but I will be posting some youtube videos soon. The big question: Will it work on New Vegas? That depends on how long it takes for the FOSE to work on New Vegas. We will post the mod when it works a little bit better....but there is hope for all who want coop in Fallout....granted...its not 100% 2 computers coop, but it is coop. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.
Michael Korkia

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:17 am

Hello, I am a new user on this board so please cut me some slack. I know all about how hard it is to make Fallout 3 coop and about the many discussions on this topic. I have made a Fallout 3 mod that allows 2 players on the same screen and same computer to play through the game.. It is not perfect yet...for instance the weapons on the 2nd player do not quite fire right yet...but they do fire and they do kill... My brother and I played through Fallout 3 when it came out on 2 computers and had no coop. The mod we have made at least lets you play through the game together...Again it is not perfect and I do expect everyone to say that this is BS...but I will be posting some youtube videos soon. The big question: Will it work on New Vegas? That depends on how long it takes for the FOSE to work on New Vegas. We will post the mod when it works a little bit better....but there is hope for all who want coop in Fallout....granted...its not 100% 2 computers coop, but it is coop. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Pull the other one.
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:11 am

Sorry, double post.
Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:38 pm

A Nigerian Prince AND a groundbreaking modder. Is there anything you can't do, your highness?

kidding

If you are genuine, then great work - this kind of challenge isn't made any easier by having Gamebyro involved.
Paula Rose

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 am

Ok, well I am not sure what either of you are talking about but I do have a link for you. Not the highest quality and a bit later than I had hoped but what can you do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6lgbKJ_Bm4

Still needs some work obviously...
Mark Hepworth

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:10 am

Ok, well I am not sure what either of you are talking about but I do have a link for you. Not the highest quality and a bit later than I had hoped but what can you do?

Still needs some work obviously...

Heh, that looks pretty clever :).

From the video, I'm guessing you're using an NPC with a script that moves it around and fires it's weapons in response to keypresses? If so, that's really ingenious :goodjob:. I think I noticed that the second player can only shoot horizontally, so had real difficulty with the giant ants. I suppose enemies up-or-downhill of the second player would be a problem. Is that right? And if so, do you think you'll be able to overcome that?

I'm guessing also that if the main player isn't looking toward the second player then the second player won't really know where they are or which direction they're moving?

Anyway, nice to see a clever new take on this.
Jack Bryan

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks andyw. Good job of studying the video. If there is interest in this mod I think most of the remaining glitches could be improved certainly. Here are a couple more links as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoMTwvec0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27H5eZ2Pg7g

watch the 720p or higher version of the 2nd one for replaced audio....something happened in the upload and it messed up the sound.
jessica robson

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 am

NPC script. Nice try, if not a very convincing one. The other player doesn't exhibit a single humanlike behavior.

Getting stuck on rocks, not reacting to you hitting him with a melee weapon (when another player would likely retaliate the same way), running around your character instead of acting independently and exploring ahead, not engaging intelligently AT ALL, randomly firing like an idiot with no concern for ammo, not even being able to hit a giant ant without using half a tank of flamer gas, and completely unable to take out a single bloatfly 2 feet in front of him without running in circles around it. I could go on and on....

1) Sorry, you didn't invent co-op in Fallout 3. If it were possible, the actual modding gods around here would have done it long before you.

2) Your hoax is fail.
Katie Samuel

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:17 am

NPC script. Nice try, if not a very convincing one. The other player doesn't exhibit a single humanlike behavior.

Getting stuck on rocks, not reacting to you hitting him with a melee weapon (when another player would likely retaliate the same way), running around your character instead of acting independently and exploring ahead, not engaging intelligently AT ALL, randomly firing like an idiot with no concern for ammo, not even being able to hit a giant ant without using half a tank of flamer gas, and completely unable to take out a single bloatfly 2 feet in front of him without running in circles around it. I could go on and on....

1) Sorry, you didn't invent co-op in Fallout 3. If it were possible, the actual modding gods around here would have done it long before you.

2) Your hoax is fail.

Um, you did read the bit where he said that this is single-machine, single-screen co-op? There's only one point of view (the primary player's) showing on one screen. So why would the secondary player explore ahead? He isn't going to see anything the primary player can't see already. Heck, if the secondary player walks behind a rock he could be torn apart and wouldn't even know it, until the primary player catches up.

I think the erratic behaviour and poor weapon control actually make this more plausible. You could get 'better' behaviour from an NPC with a few tweaks to their AI package - if that. This was someone larking around, hunched over the same keyboard as the main player, trying to cope with movement controls that have nothing to do with the camera angle and weapons that only fire along the level.

This may not be a fun way to play co-op for most people, given the limitations and control difficulties, but it's almost certainly genuine and an ingenious attempt to get some sort of multi-player.

As always, of course, the proof is in the release, but for the time being perhaps it would be more courteous to give him the benefit of the doubt. Or say nothing.
Matt Bee

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:28 am

Is it possible to connect this to multiple screen ? Connecting two screens to one CPU and having two characters play in each Each using a different controllers like one use Keyboard and other use Joystick...
Catherine Harte

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:18 am

.....Give him the benefit of the doubt.

So you're saying this guy who is a brand new member of the modding community, suddenly appears out of thin air with 3 videos that show nothing but a companion running around shooting blindly, and we're supposed to believe he invented co-op in Fallout 3 when not one of the many talented modders here has even come close? Have you actually spent any time on the internet? All he did is modify a companion script to act erratically, hoping you're dumb enough to say, "Wow, he switched weapons for no reason....it must be a human player!".

If he wants to show something substantial, let him show us the front-end for the mod. Let's see a quick YouTube video where the host sets up a game and the second player joins in, and explain how it's done. Let's see the second player do something very specific, like dropping an item for the first player, searching corpses intelligently, or both of them sniping side-by-side at very far-off enemies well outside of the AI's engagement range. Let's see two players supporting each other instead of one playing and the other running around in circles like a child on a sugar high.

Don't worry, I'll wait.
Brooks Hardison

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:33 am

@GreenGriffon:
you should go back and re-read the thread again, and watch the last video. what the OP is saying is that both players are on the same PC, on a single screen. since there is only one camera, it makes it difficult for the 2nd player to move around and aim. it would be pretty hard for me to aim as the 2nd player if i was half a map away and could barely see myself through the 1st person's point of view. you must keep in mind that this is essentially a proof-of-concept.
in my mod-testing experience (granted, not a lot), i've found many bugs just doing random things like what we see in the first posted video.

i'm not sure what difference it makes if the OP is new to the community or not. not everyone has to be a prominent member of an online community to develop a great (and possibly ground-breaking) mod.

of course, as andyw has said, the proof will be in whether the OP can deliver something for us to play with. i do believe that FO3's scripting is powerful enough to do what we see here.

@OP:
keep working on this. and give more details on how the control system is set up for the 2nd player. and if possible a video of you in front of your keyboard playing with the 2nd person. :D
Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:35 am

2) Your hoax is fail.

I hate to sink your boat but that is not an NPC script. The movement is way to complicated for the primitive pathfinding of Fo3. It turns way to fast and run in a pattern pathfinding would never do.
Hayley Bristow

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 am

Whether it is or isn't - the point of fact is that this forum in particular has weathered a few hoaxes and many empty claims of multiplayer capabilities.

Blame Nillacakester for the responses.

The proof is in the show me and you will get doubts until you show them how and let them do it too.

Choosing the name amusemant also happens to seem rather tell tale.
P PoLlo

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Hello everyone, I see that there is indeed interest in this mod. As for being a hoax, I can assure you that it is not. I absolutely expected hoax-like talk about this. It's ok, no offense taken at all. I admit it may be a bit hard to swallow. A couple facts about this mod:
player 1 uses the keyboard and mouse as usual
player 2 uses a joystick(pc controller) ( as for the routing after that....not important now)
My brother Mark was the 2nd player and particularly takes offense to the comments of no human quality to the play( I admit he was a bit random....but really....what AI blows up 2 cars a half mile apart)
As to the horizontal firing only...its fixed :).....was an easy fix and we just didn't have it in before we recorded the video....works great.
Now...what I would like to know....
Does anyone know how to loop through the inventory items....?

As for this particular style of co-op play:
It has inherent limitations in terms of the 2nd players view.....this MAY be able to be changed but not without significant difficulty.
The first player's responsibility of keeping the 2nd player in view may be a hassle but inspires "team play". I don't want to get bogged down with what this style may offer but I would say that the original developers of this game certainly knew how to do this....The limitations of the 2nd player's view probably killed following the idea....as a side note... this particular style of coop play could be implemented in many games....if not by modders....then by a simple patch from developers.
Finally....we will try and release another video tonight....showing more "human-like" qualities of the 2nd Player(Mark). btw my name is Lee. ps - as for the video of us in front of the computer.....i would prefer to show that this is co-op strictly with game-play if possible. Thanks everyone, and the more interest we get...the more we feel like working on this.
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:05 am

My brother Mark was the 2nd player and particularly takes offense to the comments of no human quality to the play( I admit he was a bit random....but really....what AI blows up 2 cars a half mile apart)

A better question is, what human player also shoots at a car in Fallout 3, then stands right next to it when it lets off a nuclear explosion? If it's not dumb AI, then I guess it's dumb human, but obviously not very compelling proof of anything.

And sorry, I'm not terribly concerned if your brother's seemingly fragile ego was bruised by my remarks. Mark, learn to cope with comments from strangers on the internet buddy.

Does anyone know how to loop through the inventory items....?

Seriously? You've cracked the inner workings of Fallout 3, have achieved what no one has ever done, and gone where no modder has ever gone all by yourself, and....you're asking for help with how to loop the inventory?

I hate to sink your boat but that is not an NPC script.

I hate to sink your boat, but it's not co-op multiplayer.

To have a co-op First Person Shooter, you have to be able to actually play cooperatively....and be able to see, preferably in the first person....and actually be able to shoot something....ANYTHING. Short of that, it's nothing more than some sort of half-assed remote control that will be entertaining for the first 10 seconds, maybe 30 seconds if you're 12 years old, but it's not multiplayer. And I highly doubt he's even accomplished what he's saying he did.

Either way, we'll see nothing out of Amusemant that even resembles multiplayer, and I suspect none of his videos that follow will provide any more insight. He'll just show us more footage of the game being played, we'll get a few more posts describing things in completely vague terms, telling us to stay tuned for more details, then he'll disappear completely.

You guys are free to get all excited over nothing as he tries to make a fool out of you, but I'm not buying it for a second. I'm sure the other guys over at Teknogods will find his claims amusing, and I'll be perfectly happy to apologize if I'm wrong, but I'm confident that I'm not. He's just wasting your time for laughs.

Amusemant, as they say on some of my favorite websites, "T*TS or GTFO".
Stacyia

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:36 am

Well I'm open to the possibility that he got somewhere and so what if it is not perfect yet.

The amusemant could just as easily be for our behalf if you think about it - even if this is http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1094332-i-have-achieved-complete-control-over-fallout-3s-graphics/, so I'm amused.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:13 am

@ GreenGriffon - Way to NOT inspire someone to put forth any more effort into something. If you want all this proof that you seek, this isn't a way to go about it. Give the guy some credit for doing what ever they are doing, cause it is more than most of us have done.

@ amusemant - Please excuse a few people that may not be in the believing spirit. We have had a few people claim that they can bring us multi-player, and they have let us down. Most of us don't even expect to ever see it to be honest with you. BUT, don't stop trying. All that matters is that you are having fun, and that you are learning something new. Isn't that what modding is about? Who cares if any of our projects don't get finished, this is a game, modding is a hobby. If you ever get to the point where you can't finish the project, maybe you can share what you know, and someone else may have the knowledge to finish it.
Danny Warner

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:00 am

Just because you're willing to take someone's word for it doesn't mean that everyone else needs to. When someone makes a HIGHLY dubious claim, then uses little more than smoke and mirrors to "tease" their great achievement, forgive me for waiting for actual proof before I get excited. I'll give him credit when that happens.

Clearly he's no stranger to posting videos on YouTube....he can't post a quick cell phone video showing how he and another player connect and control the second character? He can't answer some simple technical questions regarding how he overcame a few of the inherent technical hurdles? I'm not asking for a release, all I'm asking is for him to demonstrate what he's claiming. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

The rest of you can believe whatever you want, I'm simply calling him out on this.
J.P loves

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:02 am

Ahh...GreenGriffon....so sad...you keep talking and all you are going to end up doing is making a fool out of yourself....I am glad at least some of the other members would appreciate the mod. As for an apology when I release it....keep it. It wouldn't mean much coming from you anyway. I could end all the controversy and just post the mod....but nah. Not yet. The only fun I get out of this is prior to the release. After that, everyone will know how to do it (and of couse they will know it is real) So, before we release the mod, I will release at least one more youtube video. Maybe we will write GreenGriffon's name in the sand.....but I guess we could have just written a script to do that right green? Oh and another thing...filming me in front of the computer...if this all was fake....so would that be...
Robyn Howlett

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:41 am

Well I'm open to the possibility that he got somewhere and so what if it is not perfect yet.

The amusemant could just as easily be for our behalf if you think about it - even if this is http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1094332-i-have-achieved-complete-control-over-fallout-3s-graphics/, so I'm amused.

amusemant is short for Amusemant Machine....which we have always been....
BethanyRhain

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Nice to hear you got the firing angle sorted.

Using a joystick, though... well, I guess people would get used to it pretty quickly if they decided to :). Does that need a FOSE plugin to read the joystick?

Incidentally, as far as everyone knowing how to do it goes, that doesn't equate to 'everyone ripping it off'. Not in this community, at any rate. You may find that this secrecy is part of what's getting people annoyed. Generally the Fallout community shares knowledge and methods, and they respect each other's ingenuity. My Hoverchair mod, for instance, has been out for a good while now and (to my knowledge) hasn't been ripped off - though that may be because no-one likes it :D.

Putting out some early, incomplete versions, having people try them and give feedback (positive as well as negative) and doing improved versions based off the comments, will go a very long way in getting respect on these forums.

At least, I like to think so, but as I'm so obviously a naive fool... :shrug:
MatthewJontully

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:07 am

Perhaps andyw is right. Releasing the mod is probably the best proof..We will give this some consideration. But if we do release it please understand that it would not be final and still buggy....
Kanaoka

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 am

Yeah now I see Green Griffon's point of view:
I could end all the controversy and just post the mod....but nah. Not yet. The only fun I get out of this is prior to the release.
Really now? The only fun? Making the mod is bleh ehh whatever - teasing the forum is fun .... amusemant.

Presentation is a concept - what are you presenting that people can hold.

Like I said there is precedent here. This parade has already passed through here.

And frankly - I don't even care - I dislike multiplayer games anyway. So my hopes never could be up for this.
Lisa Robb

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Here is the mod....

http://www.mediafire.com/?dajjikmzhhhgtpt

As a final note. Thanks was never needed, but would have been appreciated. Good Luck improving this mod. Just don't forget where it came from. This is a mod that "everyone" said was impossible. It is nothing more than some form of coop. It is not true coop.

Instructions: Load the mod, and go find your 2nd Player near Megaton. He is wearing a red suit like santa and has red hair like ronald mcdonald, You can't miss him.
To use a joystick you have to use a program like joy2key...although joy2key does not seem to properly support dual thumbsticks....perhaps another modder can fix that.
Otherwise you have to share the keyboard or use 2 separate keyboards.
Actions are Forward, Backward, Turn right, Turn left, Jump, switch weapon, look up, look down, fire weapon, and reset 2nd player to first. This mod has lots of bugs....but that's what you get when you rush people and call them hoaxers.

Finally this mod it not technically difficult. So do not ask me to improve it. That's up to you guys. I asked for help on one single question and was basicly laughed at, so thanks for all the help in creating this mod.

Thanks goes to andyw for his kind words and I consider him keeper of this mod and he is authorized to post it anywhere without modification or with....

Amusemant Machine - out

ps - to edit the mod type in amx in the geck with all selected and keys are I,J,K,L,O,M,N,P,U and you must use FOSE to load or edit the mod as well...
WTW

Next

Return to Fallout 3