Fallout 4 Speculation, Ideas and Suggestions #253

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Do you think that roleplaying is a vacation? That by taking on a fictional character and having his agency in a fictional world, we are taking a personal vacation by ourselves?

Emmi Coolahan

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am

A simulation is a game that lets you basically do whatever you want, and have everything adapt, and respond, to it naturally. A simulation would allow you to be an airplane pilot, a boat captain, a hunter, or w/e, and have all of those jobs be part of the game.

No Fallout game, not even Fallout 3, allows this. Sure, you CAN go out, kill stuff, sell whatever you get for cash, and pretend your a hunter in Fallout 3/NV, but the game won't recognize that, there isn't a system in place for people to react to that, or adapt to it. You can't set up your own hunting shop or w/e.

Having people react realistically to whatever you do in a game like Fallout =/= a simulation by any means. Even if they put 100% realistic reactions to stuff you can do in Fallout 1, you would still be constrained by the role Fallout 1 puts you in, along with all the gameplay systems like skills, perks, SPECIAL etc. etc. that aren't realistic. The game still wouldn't realistically adapt to you being a hunter or w/e, you would still be stuck in the narrative constraints the devs made in the released game, and thus, not in a simulation by any means.

Having people react realistic to whatever you allowed to do(any good RPG) =/= being allowed to do whatever you want and have the game react to everything(a simulation).

Alyce Argabright

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Not if the player was raised this society aswell and at some point discovers its insidious fraud. From that point there is escape and them the main game begins.

It would never be a vacation spot for the player. It would be a prison.
Dan Endacott

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:13 pm

That's like saying it's fine to shoot at Mohammed because he's not Allah... or Jesus because he isn't God (well technically he is the vicarious presence of God).

The bomb in Megaton is ostensibly their prophet, and the universes purportedly contained within each atom is their God.Something that is more akin to Taoism than the "three great monotheisms".

Tamara Dost

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:23 pm

No, it isn't. The Confessor says it's a symbol of Atom's ability to create, and that they hope that, by praying in front of it, Atom will divide them(presumably by making the bomb explode), and create new life, like he did the other people in the war.

https://i.imgur.com/5wc840x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4vcNsfG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Cyu8SWU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RIcYGp3.jpg

The bomb is an altar, and a symbol of Atom's power, nothing more, and certainly nothing like Mohammed, or Jesus.

I honestly don't understand why people are so desperate to make it out to be something more then it is, especially when the game shows it isn't. Is there just this NEED to make Fallout 3 out to be more wacky then it actually was to feel content or something?

This is almost as silly as the whole "the prufier flows into the river" thing....... when it does't.

keri seymour

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:55 am

Whether it's an ostensible (being the key word) prophet or a symbol that instantiates atom's power both outcomes are "wacky" that's not the point of contention (especially considering it's patently wacky).

The point of contention is that they are seemingly ambivalent to this venerated symbol being shot at :shrug:, I'd expect a reaction to this iconoclasm (that's accepting the bomb as just a symbol and nothing more).

Naughty not Nice

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:25 pm

In NV, if you shooting the Boulder City memorial, NCR turn hostile.

louise tagg

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Did not know that....that's a nice touch. The devs really didn't need to do that.

dell

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Agree.

Like you say, a nice touch, you give that smile on time, but does not change anything really important in the game. Anyway, it is interesting.

Cesar Gomez

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:52 am

Completely forgot about that, it should of also been the case for megaton.
Also irrespective of the bombs venerated symbolic position, how many people are going to deem the shooting of an atomic bomb as permissible?
Austin Suggs

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:35 pm

That small detail made me consider something:

If the PC implies any violent act against an NPC (aiming a gun at their face, setting a mine around them, shooting a gun around them, etc.) should really set them off more than just a short dialogue quip.

I'd appreciate that level of depth.

Svenja Hedrich

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Should Power armor reduce falling damage? Regular armor would increase falling damage, i Think, but with Power armor, would the pistons or such take some of the impact off from the bones?

Not sure if it would make the game better. Dont include it.

kasia

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:42 am

In F1, people refuse to talk to you if you hade a gun on hand.

In Skyrim I love how people talks about your gear. If you hade a nice armor, they praise it. Or a sinister weapon, like the mace of Molag Bal, people get scared and say that the weapon causes chills.

Barbequtie

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Considering their beliefs, they probably don't mind anything that may make the bomb closer to exploding (and while shooting at an atomic bomb cannot detonate it, they may not know that).

DAVId Bryant

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 am

Dont Think you should be able to jump down from high heights by taking it a Little at a time, like in skyrim.

Kim Kay

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:33 pm

@Crimson Paladin: They would certainly mind. They wouldn't want anyone to detonate or otherwise help blowing it up, otherwise Burke would have had an easy time finding volunteers.

The bomb is HOLY to them. Read my post on page 6.

Del Arte

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Now I did not mean the player character, I meant the player; the person who bought and installed the game. Consider them like the persons who bought tickets to WestWorld.

In the WestWorld theme park, the guests were dressed appropriately, but were playing themselves ~as cowboys; not playing the role of a local individual that lived there. It was all fun & games for them, in the sense that they could shoot anyone, rob the bank, visit the jail (as a prisoner; presumably), and/or break out... and leave for home at the end of their stay. That's not the attitude of a local resident. The visitors did not interact with their virtual parents and life long acquaintances, nor even enact a persona for the duration; they were not roleplaying, they were on vacation.
J.P loves

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:59 am

If it wasn't, you wouldn't have brought it up.

Don't try to backtrack.

Actually, that one guy, and that ONE guy only gets hostile, no one else will mention it or care.

Hell, you can also immediatly leave and come back several days later and he wont attack you.

KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:14 am

Engine Design; a flaw for an RPG though.
Courtney Foren

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Maybe but there should be a reaction either way.

Jeneene Hunte

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Of course I think it's "wacky" just about any depiction of piety for a bomb is going to seem so.I'm not by any means trying to equivocate on this point, but as I've said it's not the point of contention — if it was there wouldn't be much of a dispute.

I'm questioning why a zealous cult shows such apathy/ambivalence towards the iconoclasm of their symbol.We live in a world where a pasquinade of Mohammed garners more antipathy than the shooting of an equally venerated symbol in Fallout (bending verisimilitude in the process).

LittleMiss

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 pm

:bonk:

Is it because it only has ONE guy near the memorial?

Monika Krzyzak

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 pm

I know what you really mean but, The idea I had for the player would have been a prison society apearing pristine and positive, but is quite the opposite. And im not thinking of using every part of west world for an example. Just the part where it seems like a nice place to be but turns into [censored]. And Im not talking about the whole game. The feeling of having something perfect and then having something induce chaos and violence.

Maybe I should have mentioned the game "We Happy Few" as more precise example, or the movie "the island" in the way that all denizens dont think anything is wrong and dont realize they are slaves. The Institutes slave Civilization is meant to apear perfectly livable but its enviroment would be recluse like a vault. That is where ide like the player to begin their journey. As a escaped slave/denizen of a fraud society. And has escaped with some valuable secrets.

Emily Martell

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Nope, the engine manage such situations fine. It's a flawed setup of NPCs.

Alexander Horton

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 pm

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

I don't think such a scenario should be introduced as pc background though. We've had similar situations with Vault 101, Andale (far-fetched, but it was like that for the first-time player, not for the population though - still a set-up) and Vault 112 already. It's basically the backdrop of Project Safehouse in general.

And I'd also dislike the player to have initial hostility towards the Institute. It makes helping them a very dubious option, just like it was with the Legion, but more personal. The Institute shouldn't be like the Enclave with their 'social experiments'. They should be unique.

Alessandra Botham

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion