having actual Scandinavian voice actors

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:27 am

I'll jus dig around for a few mins ta get you a short list ^^:

?
?ivind, ?jvind, ?rni, ?rnulf, ?ssur, ?sten, ?vli, ?ystein, ?yvind.

?
?bj?rn, Aabj?rn, ?ge, Aage, Aake, ?mund, Aamund, ?smund, Aasmund.

Granted only very few of these are actually used in Denmark, but a few of them are... and heck it could be fun :P

Maybe stay on Topic? eller hva gutter?
lucy chadwick

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 am

?rjan is not a "norwegian" name, but a scandinavian version of the latin "Georgios".

Which is a Greek name, by the way. :P
Hairul Hafis

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:08 am

There are many.. Fr?ydis, ?smund, ?se, ?shild, ?sgrim, ?ke, ?yvind, H?rek, R?rek, Sn?frid, H?kon etc.

I don't remember any NPCs from Morrowind or Oblivion with those names.
clelia vega

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:41 pm

?rjan is not a "norwegian" name, but a scandinavian version of the latin "Georgios".

Ah lol, very well, only names with Norse roots then. It still has a ? though. :whistling:

@ OlliX: Because there weren't any. :biggrin:
Rich O'Brien

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:09 am

I don't remember any NPCs from Morrowind or Oblivion with those names.

Me neither, but they are nordic names. Avoiding names with ? ? ? isnt enough to make the pronouncation sound right though. English speakers cant pronounce the 'R' right, and generally also pronounce the 'a' and 'e' wrong aswell. Though, with some training they should be able to get a decent result i guess. It just kinda svcks hearing these names pronounced with a american accent and completly wrong, sounds very silly. But obviously its a thing that will only bother scandinavians mostly.
Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:40 am

Ah lol, very well, only names with Norse roots then. It still has a ? though. :whistling:

The "?" is older than the "?" :)

We used ? , but then the danes came and took it away . . And replaced it with "?" . .

Well well, we shall see .
Kirsty Collins

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Zenimax is an international company with studios in Japan, the US, Sweden and France. Skyrim will probably be localized in multiple countries. So I see no need for heavy Scandinavian accents in the english version. I want to be able to understand the dialogue after all.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 pm

When I said "nord names" I meant the names of the nords in TES, not actual norse names. There are of course a lot of norse names with ?, ? and ?.

Also, this name discussion is a bit off topic, like Jack-In-Irons said. :P
Sarah Evason

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 am

Many scandinavian have super weard english
Flutterby

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:20 am

Does it make any difference? As long as they sound good, fine by me
Matthew Barrows

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:56 am

I'm telling you, Magnus ver Magnusson! OK, so he's Icelandic... :rolleyes:

Kind of having like having Jews play Indians in the movies

(non PC for emphasis)
Abel Vazquez

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:37 am

Petter Solberg gives you a quest: h?i, ai lost maj faijting ekkvippment, vil ju plis h?lp mi find it? I tink its d?vn in det rivver.
Maya Maya

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:25 am

Avoiding names with ? ? ? isnt enough to make the pronouncation sound right though. English speakers cant pronounce the 'R' right, and generally also pronounce the 'a' and 'e' wrong aswell. Though, with some training they should be able to get a decent result i guess. It just kinda svcks hearing these names pronounced with a american accent and completly wrong, sounds very silly. But obviously its a thing that will only bother scandinavians mostly.

Agreed. :)
Andrew Perry

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:25 am

Specifics aren't important to me, the key is simply hiring -more- voice actors. I'm sure many might disagree, but I'd rather have a few dozen poor voice actors than have everyone sound identical as they did in Oblivion.
Michelle davies

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Petter Solberg gives you a quest: h?i, ai lost maj faijting ekkvippment, vil ju plis h?lp mi find it? I tink its d?vn in det rivver.

it vas very difecult to ride the the hoarse todag, very gl?tt on the rod so it got st?kk in the mudd
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 pm

That would take ages. One example: the "y". :teehee:

maybe. i dont want them to use a lot of time on this anyway and i dont really care. i would rather have them pronounce the names english than do a half assed attempt at scandinavian though.
Brιonα Renae

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:00 am

I'm telling you, Magnus ver Magnusson! OK, so he's Icelandic... :rolleyes:

Kind of having like having Jews play Indians in the movies

(non PC for emphasis)

Nope, people from Iceland are just norwegians that moved a little more to the north-west . . So ethnically the same [censored].
Charles Weber

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:48 pm

maybe. i dont want them to use a lot of time on this anyway and i dont really care. i would rather have them pronounce the names english than do a half assed attempt at scandinavian though.

And there's nothing half-assed about Udyrfrykte? :confused:
Ice Fire

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:23 pm

it vas very difecult to ride the the hoarse todag, very gl?tt on the rod so it got st?kk in the mudd

Haha, and imagine a angry version of that. Would sound ridiculous XD
Misty lt

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Specifics aren't important to me, the key is simply hiring -more- voice actors. I'm sure many might disagree, but I'd rather have a few dozen poor voice actors than have everyone sound identical as they did in Oblivion.

I'd like to have the imperial male voice actor do some voicing in Skyrim. I think he was the best of the actors present in Oblivion.
Poetic Vice

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Max von Sydow is a professional actor, and his Swedish accent isn't really noticeable. His age (81 years) is noticeable, though. I'm about as impressed with his lines as with Patrick Stewart's ones in Oblivion, i.e., not that much. I suppose lesser actors would have struggled even more with the overly dramatic dialogue given to them, though. :P

I'm not sure Nords with Swedish accents would help my immersion, it would make me think of contemporary Swedes more than Nords or Vikings. Icelandic accents would sound sufficiently foreign to me, perhaps.

You mean in the teaser trailer? I thought he sounded absolutely perfect! I'd be happy if he was doing the voice-acting for every male Nord.

I know voice-acting is a big area of contention, because everyone's coming from different locales and to their ears certain accents sound appropriate or inappropriate.

My personal gripe was with the American accents in the previous two games, they sounded too contemporary and Hollywood-standard. In fact, even Hollywood films set in pre-U.S. periods and fantasy settings tend towards a nondescript English accent (e.g. LoTR, Gladiator, etc).

American accents in fantasy make me think Xena the Warrior Princess, Adventures of Hercules and Sinbad the Sailor - all really bad cheap TV shows. Skyrim deserves a bit better than that.

Max von Sydow is certainly a staircase up.
FITTAS

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:49 am

I'd like to have the imperial male voice actor do some voicing in Skyrim. I think he was the best of the actors present in Oblivion.

The voice actors of Oblivion were by no means bad. As well as they did their job, though, there just wasn't enough of them to cover the number NPCs. Hearing two characters talk to eachother and parrot a set number of phrases in identical voices spoils all immersion for me.

That being said, I'd have no problem with any of them returning.
Wayne Cole

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Haha, and imagine a angry version of that. Would sound ridiculous XD

yes, but they didnt try to sound norwegian. it sounded wierd though.
Ridhwan Hemsome

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:49 am

On the subject of accents, I'd also like to say they're not hugely important to me as long as the actor makes an effort to tend towards the fantasy genre (i.e. no New York twang).

What is important to me is the timber and tone of voice suiting individual characters. I want cracked voices for elderly peasants, gruff voices for mercenaries and warriors, authoritative voices for guards and leaders. I think perhaps it's time to stop voice acting by race and start voice acting by character.
Nick Swan

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:46 pm

On the subject of accents, I'd also like to say they're not hugely important to me as long as the actor makes an effort to tend towards the fantasy genre (i.e. no New York twang).

What is important to me is the timber and tone of voice suiting individual characters. I want cracked voices for elderly peasants, gruff voices for mercenaries and warriors, authoritative voices for guards and leaders. I think perhaps it's time to stop voice acting by race and start voice acting by character.

Great point! I think it was the female Imperial in Oblivion that sounded especially way-off belonging to a warrior character. Actually, the male was way-off too.

Being realistic, even just doubling a race's voice-actors from two to four would be a big improvement, just to include "gruff" and "well-bred" for each gender.

Didn't I read there are children in Skyrim? (Sorry if I've imagined this). (Edit: Duh!) That would add a few more voice-actors already.
Roddy

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim