Lichdom vol 2

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Arguments for = It would add more options to the game, would be fun according to how I want to play, it would be completely optional.

Arguments against = I can't imagine being able to play as one because my concept of an RPG is limited to interaction with normal NPCs.
John N

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 am

Arguments for = It would add more options to the game, would be fun according to how I want to play, it would be completely optional.

Arguments against = I can't imagine being able to play as one because my concept of an RPG is limited to interaction with normal NPCs.

point 1 is a lame option fot it imo. I much rather have good playible options than a thoroughly lame one that doesn't.

point 2 completely misses the points the arguments against are making. You spend x ammount of hours, studying, prayind, and making sacrifices to become a lich and suddenly anytime you go near the towns and cities you get attacked by town guards, addventurers and other braver members of society. Don't know about you but that would personally start to become annoying after a while for me.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 am

point 1 is a lame option fot it imo. I much rather have good playible options than a thoroughly lame one that doesn't.

point 2 completely misses the points the arguments against are making. You spend x ammount of hours, studying, prayind, and making sacrifices to become a lich and suddenly anytime you go near the towns and cities you get attacked by town guards, addventurers and other braver members of society. Don't know about you but that would personally start to become annoying after a while for me.

Again you are blind to the fact that some of us want to play as a lich. The fact that you don't shouldn't matter at all. I don't like the thieves guild, does that mean they should remove it from the game? NO!! It's about choices and options.

Here are the two options regarding lichdom :

If Lichdom is included, you won't have to play as one.

If lichdom isn't included nobody can play as one.

Now do you see the difference? It is a single player, offline game series based upon freedom of choice. You want to limit everyone elses freedoms because of how you choose to play. I want more options for eveyone according to how they wish to play.
Kelvin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 am

problem, kalle, noone likes a lich, noone hangs out with a lich, a lich is not like a vampire-- you cant disguise it.

for that reason it doesnt matter if it clearly states its a permanent change becuase noone will want to talk to you in the game, and most will either try to kill you or just run away. so either this "fine option" turns into a straight path to world massacre, or a boring path to having rabbits as your best friends... and i would bet they would run from a lich as well.

aalllso, where are people getting the "stages to lichdom" there are no stages, its either your a lich or your not, you cant become MORE undead once your already there, all you can do is refine your powers (yeah, ive read alot and havent seen anything in canon, so if youve got a link, id be happy to read it), and after gaining the huge amount of power and knowlege to become a lich in the first place, thats kind of pointless.

if people want to use the canon to justify bieng a lich, too bad, the only reason any char int he game has become a lich is because they are evil and want to be immortal. so aside from immortality and the power gained from becoming a lich, its pointless-- it breaks the game, you cant join factions, you cant do the main story line, you cant trade, you cant talk to people (yes, even necromancers, and certainly the Mage's Guild would be very disinclined to speak to a lich). so its a bad idea.
-- but then again, dont mind my logic.. people in support will probably find some reason to vote for it anyway.

Eeeven if it was so, it could still be a option. Some people clearly want to be Liches, otherwise we wouldn't have them in Oblivion either.

Even if being a Lich meant that:
- Some guy tells you what the lich ritual is and what it requires, and clearly states that it's permanent change
- You get the required items and complete the ritual
- You become an immortal and magically very powerful Lich. Your skin is immediately replaced by the AI lich skin
- You live the rest of your life alone in some ancient ruins walking from one end of corridor to the another/ Rampaging around cities and nature
It would require next to none effort to do, and people atleast could be liches.

Also, if the people in game haven't discovered everything about liches, how the **** would we know? Corprus and vampirism were told to be death sentences in Morrowind.

Lich doesn't need merchants, not some citizens who can say 2 sentences about mudcrabs, not the guilds you don't believe in or completed months ago, maybe you saved the world (completed main quest) months ago too or you don't give a **** about saving it. The game is about freedom, you need no NPC, if you really try.
Suzy Santana

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:57 am

Again you are blind to the fact that some of us want to play as a lich. The fact that you don't should matter at all. I don't like the thieves guild, does that mean they should remove it from the game? NO!! It's about choices and options.

And some of us want to plays as hokers, too.

Here are the two options regarding lichdom :

If Lichdom is included, you won't have to play as one.

If lichdom isn't included nobody can play as one.

Wasn't it mentioned earlier that there are mods to play as a lich? I'm fairly certain there was one. So that invalidates your argument right here. If they don't include it than you can play as it whenever someone releases the mod for it.

Now do you see the difference? It is a single player, offline game series based upon freedom of choice. You want to limit everyone elses freedoms because of how you choose to play. I want more options for eveyone according to how they wish to play.

So they should spend time, and programing resources towards something that most players don't want or care about? And don't even give me the 'But look at the polls!' argument, that doesn't reflect every player of the tes series, just those who answered the poll. Most other people (including me) think they should do well whats allready there and what makes those things run well.
Melly Angelic

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 am

So they should spend time, and programing resources towards something that most players don't want or care about? And don't even give me the 'But look at the polls!' argument, that doesn't reflect every player of the tes series, just those who answered the poll. Most other people (including me) think they should do well whats allready there and what makes those things run well.

No, I suppose they should follow your goose stepping ways and just make the game as bland and generic as possible :rolleyes:
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 pm

YOU CAN USE MAGIC ILLUSIONS TO DISGUISE YOUR SELF.

YES THAT'S RIGHT, ILLUSIONS. YOU CAN LOOK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON AND INTERACTE WITH NORMAL PEOPLE THROUGH ILLUSIONS.

ILLUSIONS. BUY NOW.

Note: This psot is in Caps because the anti-lich people seem to ignore other post's that state that you can use illlusions.
Hella Beast

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am

No, I suppose they should follow your goose stepping ways and just make the game as bland and generic as possible :rolleyes:

Wow, I'm extremely impressed Neuro... I never met some one who completely missed the point as much as you do. My arguments against is based on the fact that they could make the game (outside of necros and lichdom) more interesting by focusing on what they did well and making it better and looking at what they did badly do better. Your'e saying that they should divert money, time, and other precious from the important aspects of the game just to appease a fringe element of gamers?
Jason Wolf

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 am

Wow, I'm extremely impressed Neuro... I never met some one who completely missed the point as much as you do. My arguments against is based on the fact that they could make the game (outside of necros and lichdom) more interesting by focusing on what they did well and making it better and looking at what they did badly do better. Your'e saying that they should divert money, time, and other precious from the important aspects of the game just to appease a fringe element of gamers?

Fringe? So how many people did you sample in your scientific poll of every TES gamer on Earth?

Also, adding more content is never a bad thing. Just by adding content you do not have to take away from anything else.

You keep wanting to make every player's decision for them. I want players to decide on their own. I stand for freedom of choice, you stand for control.
Jennifer May

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

Fringe? So how many people did you sample in your scientific poll of every TES gamer on Earth?

Did you?

Also, adding more content is never a bad thing. Just by adding content you do not have to take away from anything else.

*coughvilelaircough*

You keep wanting to make every player's decision for them. I want players to decide on their own. I stand for freedom of choice, you stand for control.

You stand for choices that are severelly unballanced and superflous. And if you really wanted to consider the wants of the player you'd broaden your post a bit more. Verry limited control, tyvm. To the extent that all that I see is a great game as far as the eye can see.
Emerald Dreams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:20 am

So the polls aren't valid, but your hunch not based on facts is?

I'd think most of the casual gamers, who are so despised here, but are millions in numbers, would love to be a lich, atleast for a while.

Slightly tweaking things vs. adding new features isn't that simple. It's what drove so many old Halo fans away from the series. Next to nothing is new or changed. As good it sounds to have better this and that, we will never have perfect AI or physics.
Baylea Isaacs

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I say lichdom should be possible, and I propose this system:
Firstly:
The transformation. For this your going to need to get notes, books, etc, that either completely or incompletely discuss the rituals for becoming a Lich. (We can't expect the player to develop the process all on their own, that's too tedious and labor intensive) This will require very high intelligence and magicka stats, as you gotta understand what your reading. From these notes your character will begin to build a ritual. (Labor intensive and tedious) You must gather supplies, do research, perform trial runs, and more. After completing the ritual you must survive gestation period (Based on the quality of your research and all that good stuff, poor rituals take forever good rituals a week or so). During this period you are stronger physicially and magickally, and your soul is stored in a device of some sort. (You must keep this on your person, just like the DB quest) During this period your body will become undead, and you will notice early signs of decay. The skin will dry, hair will fall out, the skin will retreat from the nails and scalp, making it appear as if your nails and hair grew, and you will start to suffer stiffness that hurts your physical stats (Rigor Mortis!). At the end of the transformation your soul returns to your new lich body. As you age, you will become more and more skeletal, and overtime sacrifice some aspects of your physical prowess in exchange for more magickal abilities.

The abilities:
Depending on the quality of the ritual, you will either gain little or very high boosts to all magickal stats, and will gain access to some early Lich abilities (you can levitate with virtually no magicka cost, spell costs are lowered across the board, you gain several new spells in various schools). As you progress you can develop more powers through study, practice, and experimentation on your form (you can hurt yourself temporarily doing the latter two). These powers include telepathy, teleportation, and others. You can also devour the souls of other Liches in order to gain their powers.

The Normies:
Now how are the people going to react to you? Well the layman will run like hell, and the braver ones and fools may attack you. If you are seen in a city, you will have twelve hours to kill all the witnesses of your glory before the city doubles the watch, locks the place down, and assembles a team of warriors to put you down. All other cities will hear of this, and increase their guard strength by 1/3. Also, if you have established any cults in the city, they are 20% more likely to be caught (more on that later). If you can avoid this team of warriors for 2 months (either by always being on the move or creating a lair that hides you from them) the city you were caught in drops from a doubled guard size to a guard size of 1 1/3. (Or their normal men plus enough men to equal a third of their normal guard). all other cities drop back to normal. The lockdown in the city you were cuaght in will also end.
Meta-gaming:
So, besides zapping, what else is there? You will be able to establish groups in the various cities and dungeons of the land who will act as your operatives. You can establish criminal orginizations, necromantic cults, brothels, userer's, skooma rings, and more. You can aslo have your operatives infiltrate existing groups. Now, where do you get these people? Well, as time goes on you'll attract (or conquer) necromancers, criminals, and the rich and powerful (as you become more of a known unkown, you will attract those people among the higher classes who require your powers or resources, they will be in your debt if you help them) and more. These people can then establish cult's or other groups and cities, at which point they will begin to assemble the orginization (with you giving htem their prime directives). You can also use members of existing groups that you've attracted to your service to get your foot in the door as it were, and begin to corrupt them. THe rich and powerful can also do this for you. As time goes on you might even be able to stage a rebellion in a city!

Say in one city there is a fight over succession [cliche], the combatant in the weaker position contacts you for help, and you use your resources in that city to back his rebellion. Afterwards, you become an influential player in his court, and are even allowed to walk exposed in the castle. (You've infested the city so much that the knowledge of your lichdom won't leave the castle) With this influence you manipulate regional policies, and in general make more money and gain more resources from the region then your illicit orginizations ever could have given you. You can then use your new position of power in the city to better manipulate provinicial politics from behind the scenes.

matt white

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 am

So the polls aren't valid, but your hunch not based on facts is?

What hunch? Is it a hunch that this poll doesn't include every gamer? I think not. Is it a hunch that I pointed out that the poll is in fact exclusive? It is not.

I'd think most of the casual gamers, who are so despised here, but are millions in numbers, would love to be a lich, atleast for a while.

trure, casual gamers make up a bulk of the viewers, but that does not neccessarilly mean that gamesas should focus on them. Casual gamers will onlly play until they get bored, and the process of becoming a lich, is a boring time consuming process. The bulk of serious gamers would rather see the rest of the game polished, rather see gamesas waste time and resources on something fringe gamers will mod in anyhow.

Slightly tweaking things vs. adding new features isn't that simple. It's what drove so many old Halo fans away from the series. Next to nothing is new or changed. As good it sounds to have better this and that, we will never have perfect AI or physics.

I thought what drove Halo fans away was the fact that it was crap all arround.... and thats what I hope will be avoided in TES V.
Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 am

Look Pikachu, we get that you don't want Lichdom. So why not go to a thread where you can provide input as opposed to simple nay saying, 'eh?

Casual gamers will onlly play until they get bored, and the process of becoming a lich, is a boring time consuming process.

:rofl:

I like how your opinion always morphs into objective fact in your head.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:04 am

What hunch? Is it a hunch that this poll doesn't include every gamer? I think not. Is it a hunch that I pointed out that the poll is in fact exclusive? It is not.

trure, casual gamers make up a bulk of the viewers, but that does not neccessarilly mean that gamesas should focus on them. Casual gamers will onlly play until they get bored, and the process of becoming a lich, is a boring time consuming process. The bulk of serious gamers would rather see the rest of the game polished, rather see gamesas waste time and resources on something fringe gamers will mod in anyhow.

I thought what drove Halo fans away was the fact that it was crap all arround.... and thats what I hope will be avoided in TES V.

I abolutly hate to brake this to you, but modders aren't all gloruis Semi-Devs who do everything right. Tier is a reason all of the modders aren't on the gamesas theme. They can't do things as good as betsoft.

Your arguments are completely without merit and without any proof. Not all casual players fall into in cliche, nor do serious gamers. Unless you know every gamer in the world, you can't mke the decision for them. And on how game breaking being a lich is is dependant of how it is implimtented. And please don't make this personal by bringing in insults.

Your arguement is based on opinions that you think are fact, nothin more, nothing less.
Skivs

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 am

here are 2 good reasons to forget the idea.

1. Its irreversable... dont try to talk about a godly cure, there is no precident, and honestly no reason to start one. They are despised, even by necromancers.

We don't know if it's curable or not yet we don't have much info on Liches. Is it not every Necromancers goal to transcend mortality?

2. You can barter or trade or go into town as a lich. It breaks the game right there, there is no point.

Illusion magic.

problem, kalle, noone likes a lich, noone hangs out with a lich, a lich is not like a vampire-- you cant disguise it.

I like Liches and I imagine they use Illusion spells to hide what they are when interacting with mortals.

if people want to use the canon to justify bieng a lich, too bad, the only reason any char int he game has become a lich is because they are evil and want to be immortal. so aside from immortality and the power gained from becoming a lich, its pointless-- it breaks the game, you cant join factions, you cant do the main story line, you cant trade, you cant talk to people (yes, even necromancers, and certainly the Mage's Guild would be very disinclined to speak to a lich). so its a bad idea.
-- but then again, dont mind my logic.. people in support will probably find some reason to vote for it anyway.

The Dark Brotherhood wouldn't care if you were a Lich they already allow vampires to join them. As far as the main quest goes if it's another save the world and defeat some big bad or were all going to die I think people would turn a blind eye about you being undead if you can save their life. Granted being a Lich would limited Guild/factions you can join but the then again you shouldn't be able to join all of them.

Wasn't it mentioned earlier that there are mods to play as a lich? I'm fairly certain there was one. So that invalidates your argument right here. If they don't include it than you can play as it whenever someone releases the mod for it.

So TES V should just be bland with the ideology that if someone wants something unique they'll mod it or get a mod for it? Also what about the poor console users who want this?
Amysaurusrex

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Problem is that you said most people, including you, don't care about seeing this feature.

A poll in which people answered vs. your hunch that most people don't want it. Unless you have done a survey or something, then you might convince me.

Another opinion presented as a fact.

I've been around Bungie forums, and really liked the first 2 games too. The 3rd game was just the same with little tweaks, and many people on the forums think the same.
gandalf

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 am

Bah! I don't see your point at all. Wanna add more options? I'm all for it. But as long as they're options that adds to the substance of the game overall. I wanna see, like most others, expanded, more diverse quest lines, more numerous and better fleshed out guilds, better combat and magic, more options to play a better game... any of that sound bland to you? At all?

And what exactly does Lichdom bring to the table? Disease resistance and increased magicka? A skilled and determined player can get those simply through putting forth the effort to exploit whats allready there. That's what enchantment and potion making is for.
Gavin boyce

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 am

And what exactly does Lichdom bring to the table? Disease resistance and increased magicka? A skilled and determined player can get those simply through putting forth the effort to exploit whats allready there. That's what enchantment and potion making is for.

:shakehead:

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/whatis/.
Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:12 am

Bah! I don't see your point at all. Wanna add more options? I'm all for it. But as long as they're options that adds to the substance of the game overall. I wanna see, like most others, expanded, more diverse quest lines, more numerous and better fleshed out guilds, better combat and magic, more options to play a better game... any of that sound bland to you? At all?

Most of those are self evident and already discussed things.

Problem is that "better guilds, quests and combat" are just inaccurate and round words. They can mean anything, and perfection that pleases everyone won't ever be reached.

This Lich idea is more detailed feature that would probably bring a real addition to the game. Sure, you can create a class and charachter something like it, but we can also use swords. So why do we need better combat then? Being hated by certain people and all that won't be easily reached by creating your own "Lich" class, so all the drawbacks are really important part of Lichdom too.
Phillip Hamilton

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 am

:shakehead:

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/whatis/.

This link might also be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:04 pm

The oppurtunity to create a necromantic cult that you use to influence the world around you.
Harinder Ghag

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 am

The oppurtunity to create a necromantic cult that you use to influence the world around you.

Darth, your ideas are the best so far. It would make TES the best game ever if you could pull political strings from behind the scenes. Maybe even become the public lead of a town/province/empire.
Aliish Sheldonn

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 am

Darth, your ideas are the best so far. It would make TES the best game ever if you could pull political strings from behind the scenes. Maybe even become the public lead of a town/province/empire.

Agreed.
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 am

Ah and it seems that this thread lost its subject a little bit. In stead of: "Do we want liches and if so, how we want them" we have a thread of: "Who can insult whom better" or "My ideas are the only ones correct". What a shame. The idea of lihdom deserves more I think.

So now to the topic:

For role playing reasons I want to have a possibility to be a lich, because most of my characters are evil mages and necromances. Being a lich is the top of this occupation.

I have read many posts saying that we do not need lichdom. Well, I guess we do not. We do not need werewolves and vampires and necromancy, hell, we do not need the whole game! We just want it.

The argument that lichdom will be screwed up anyway so Beth should not even bother is very lame as well. Magic system of Oblivion is about as bad as can be. Yet noone says that there should be o magic in TES V, because it will sure svck again.

Another group says that being a lich will ruin the gameplay, because THEY THINK the lichdom will look like this and that. Well, in Morrowind, if you became a vampire no NPCs interacted with you (except for other vampires and severa other quest related ones I think) and it was playable (badly, sure, but still possible). The point is, WE DO NOT KNOW THIS! It is only your assumption that liches will not be able to interact with NPCs. Again, you are fortelling the result and base your arguments on it. That makes no sense.

And lastly, some people say: "Hey, why should they botther making something I do not want! If the freaks want liches, they can mod them!" Well, sure. I believe that if tere is no lichdom in TES V, there will be a mod for this. Even if there is a lichdom, there will be mods to change it. BUT Beth must not surrender their responsibility for making the game to modders! i mod a bit myself and I know that it is way easier to change something that exists then making it from scratch. Besides we need to have the lichdom to feel like a part of the world. That is hard to do with mods.

So, to sum up, if the lichdom is made, it will hurt noone. You still do not have to play a lich, but we, who want to should be given a chance. I highly respect those who say that they do not care for liches and palying as ones, yet they want the possibility to exist for the sake of richness. And let us see how Beth make the lichdo and critisize it AFTERWORDS not before.

And to the OP:

I think that you should be able to do all quests as a lich (but for yome you would have a completely new way opened and some possibilities closed as well, but I do not really like being limited in what quests I can do)
And for the perks of being a lich, I think some attributes boosts. A lich does not have to cae so much about outer world, so he is not distracted, so willpower and intelligence should be buffed up. Probably evenstrngth, because your muscles are replaced by magic energy and therefore you are no longer limited by normal laws of nature.
tiffany Royal

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion