Lone Wanderer perk... good idea or bad?

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 pm

The best return for perk point in the game and you think it's too expensive?
Lisa

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:34 pm

I think you misunderstand. I find it is not worth getting the perk on a stealth character because I would not get the most use out of it on that style of character. If my character is taking 0 damage, then with the perk they take 0-30% which is still 0. A Rambo style run-and-gun has more use out of it because they can use the 30% damage reduction.

Not saying anything, other than it is more useful for certain builds that can utilize all the bonuses of the perk.

Kayla Keizer

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

25% dmg is huge
Roy Harris

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Yes, Beth put a tremendous amount of effort into the vanilla companions, but unfortunately, and to my great disappointment, I just don't like them. I've finally given up on having one with me after trying all of them and travelling with Danse for > 300 hours. My latest character has taken Lone Wanderer and it's much, much better than travelling with the vanilla companions. I hate playing solo, I'm a huge fan of companions, but there is enough wrong with this bunch that I it's worse to have one with me than to be alone.

Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:57 am

It is, but moreso for an automatic build. For a stealth build, you can reach levels of one-shot without it, so with the 25% boost, it is still gonna be a one shot. Especially with the right weapon and mods. much more useful on a Rambo-style character that does not get the benefit of increased damage from sneak attacks.

As it stands, the perk itself is much more useful to a character that runs and guns, and not as useful on a stealth-based assassin.

Crystal Birch

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:43 pm

I don't, until they patch the game and either change how the perk works or change the loading screen information i'll say it's a bug and not working as intended. But as usual, bethesda's priorities is patch silly crap like dogmeat / workshop shipment dup glitch or other nonsense rather than address the actual problems of the game.

sophie

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:38 pm

What don't you like about them? I mean if you kept Danse for that many hours, you must think that at least he's ok...

I'm pretty sure they meant for Dogmeat not to count against Lone Wanderer... why, you ask? He's a companion! Sure but he can't fire a weapon and you can't win a perk by traveling with him, and he's a dog. Maybe the loading screen message handler didn't get the memo (Iwhat does the message say that you're refering too?)

I guess the point of this thread was meant to be a discussion about whether the Lone Wanderer thread was a good idea for Fallout 4, given that it could encourage players to play without companions, and Bethesda spent so much time on companions.. that's all. Its NOT supposed to be "is Lone Wanderer a good perk" I guess I titled it poorly. Some people got it though. Seems like the consensus is basically, yes it should be in the game...

glot

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:21 pm

My answer was a roundabout way of saying that yes, LW is valuable, but that I only started taking LW once I decided none of the companions were doing it for me. I didn't rush out to take it because the perk is so powerful. It is a great bonus when I've given up on the companions. I appreciate the compensation for what I'm missing by not having someone with me for combat backup or to carry all those heavy microscopes and typewriters :P

I'm a mod author and like to build companions. I spend as much time as possible with the vanillas to see how they work in general and to get to know them (I love travelling with companions). The devs and writers spent a tremendous amount of effort to integrate all of the companions into the game via dialogue, to build their relationship quests with backstories and dialogue and to give some of them extra quests, extra features, etc.

However, I think whoever built them was rushed because there are some things that don't work correctly and should have been caught during testing and some things are missing completely (no combat controls in a combat heavy game is just weird). Also, it feels to me like whoever designed them did so after playing other games with companions but didn't fully understand how/why those systems work to build relationships with companions or, and I think this is more likely, they didn't have time to fully develop something more nuanced or to catch/fix those things that aren't quite right. It's a great first attempt at more complex and sophisticated companions, and if Beth chooses to do it again I'm confident those companions will be even better.

Edit: I do love Danse, but he has too many issues that irritate me. He's on timeout until the Geck comes out and I can fix those things.

Rowena

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:32 am

Well of course its a good idea to have a perk for those who hate companions but need the extra fire power/weight while exploring the wasteland.

All the companions are useless. Maybe if they did it something similar to The Last of Us where they don't get caught until you do, they don't trigger lasers and etc.. maybe more people would use them. My biggest problem with them is the fact that they all have WEAK weapons. Its fine for the early game but when you get into the later game beside for the Faction companions most are lacking fire power big time. Even then they have terrible armor beside Danse and get down to fast. I can see why so many people enjoy the Automatron DLC. Even though the AI is still bad, they have armor and fire power. Something all the base game companions lack..

With the upcoming Survival overhaul companions are going to be a nightmare to bring along.

Len swann

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 am

I have the exact same thoughts , I don't even travel with Dogmeat because when I try to loot something he get in my way too many times to get annoying have him with me.

Edit; answering the OP , I love lone wanderer perk , but I could be ok without , and even if I hadn't any bonuses to travel alone , I will , because .. yeah ...answer is above.

Rachael Williams

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:13 am

It should be in the game as any other OP option. To take or not to take. I always play alone, I do not need assistance to win or to be over powered so I did not take it. I did consider taking the perk for the ability to carry more weight, but decided not to because I would be OP taking less damage.

Prisca Lacour

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:08 pm

good and bad

good because the buff is pretty strong with dogmeat too

bad because ve always taken it and never did any companion stuff....so it kinda killed that for me but didn't really like any of the companions so meh

Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Can you make us a ghost companion then? :P

Neliel Kudoh

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:58 am

I no longer include Lone Wanderer in my builds. I found that the damage reduction was to much, and my character became to powerful. When the game starts to feel like I have god mode enabled, I lose interest and either put the game away or start a new game.

Now on my 20th or something restart; I very carefully select my perks, armor, and weapons to balance them into not becoming overpowered... harder than you'd think, the game seems like it was designed to make you OP. If anyone cares below are some of the things I do to keep things interesting for me.

- Always play on Survival.

- Endurance of 1 (2 if I accidentally pick up the bobblehead)

- Restricting the amount of chems I carry (most importantly 6-8 stims)

- Restricting the amount of ammo I carry (won't worry about this when new survival mode comes out)

- Restricting the number of weapons I carry to 1 Melee, 2 Ranged (usually a revolver, and a rifle), and 3-6 grenades/mines.

- Limited use of Power Armor

- Won't use most Legendary effects (Usually give these to settler's on guard duty, anyone know if they benefit from them?)

- No longer use Lone Wanderer Perk

- No longer use Toughness Perk (can't get any other endurance perks due to endurance being at 1)

- Try not to get companion perks: United we Stand, Robot Sympathy, Shield Harmonics. (I mostly play without companions but I like to take companions on missions that involve them, or think they might have something interesting to say during it).

Keeley Stevens

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:00 pm

I've posted on this a couple times and yes, robots sadly count as companions so they negate the Lone Wanderer perk.

Majorly butthurt about it too, since when I picked the perk ages ago, the DLC hadn't even been announced yet. So now I'm in a bit of a pickle because, if I want to fully exploit the benefits of this DLC, then I just paid $10 to lose 25% damage, 30% damage resist, and 100lbs carry weight. Seems kinda unfair to me; had hoped Bethesda would have given us Lone Wanderers a pass on this one for the sake of variety.

kristy dunn

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Here's two "fixes" for ya

Fix 1: Remove Lone Wanderer perks & put them into Inspirational

player.removeperk 1d246e

player.removeperk 1d246d

player.removeperk 1d246b

player.addperk 1d2461

player.addperk 1d2462

player.addperk 1d2463

OR

Fix 2: Removal of Lone Wanderer Perk, and change game settings to reflect benefits regardless of whether you have a companion or not.

Notes:

-This would also allow you to double down on Lone Wanderer if you later put points back into Lone Wanderer (*Shrug* your call)

- This is assuming your playing on Survival difficulty you'll have to change the "SV" in the variable for the difficulty your playing on: "VE", "E", "N", "H", "VH"; then do the math to determine what +25% damage & +30% damage resist might be for that difficulty setting.

- Global settings have to be reapplied whenever you reopen the game.

player.removeperk 1d246e

player.removeperk 1d246d

player.removeperk 1d246b

setgs fDiffMultHPByPCSV 0.625

setgs fDiffMultHPToPCSV 1.4

player.modav carryweight 100

Laura Cartwright

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Even if the perk wasn't in the game, I'd still go solo. I don't use dogmeat or the companions, I like the silence.

I don't use power armor except when I can't win. So I use power armor maybe 3 times in the game. I'm sure Bethesda put a lot of work into the power armor but I don't feel bad for not using it any more than I feel bad about not using the companions.

So the perk should stay the way it is. Power armor and the companions should stay in the game. Just because I don't use them doesn't mean they should be taken out of the game.

Jade Muggeridge

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:00 pm

I've spent over 600 hours in the game, but I've never gotten Lone Wanderer. I'm traveling with a companion 99% of the time though, so there wouldn't be much of a point to getting it.

Austin Suggs

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Kinda bums me too but a sufficiently upgraded robot pretty much makes up for what you lose. For exemple, my Scrap Queen character has all 3 levels of the perk. When using her main combat bot, Waffles:

-> loses 100 carry weight, robot has 520

-> loses 25% damage, robot has an explosive minigun, a missile laucher, a cluster bomb cannon and a fatman. I didn't make the count but it probably makes up for it

-> loses 30% damage reduction, the robot doesn't strictly gives me defense but it increases my regen and acts as a second target

Additionally, she's past level 60 and has 11 or 12 END, she has enough HP that even with no armor at all she could tank most of what the game can throw at you, and fully upgraded guns allows one to easily kill basically anything even without a bonus.

Ofc, being a Sentry Bot, Waffles has maneuverability problems in most indoor locations. Though I imagine you could build up something like an Assaultron instead, it would easily have over 100 carry weight and be compatible with weapons good enough to compensate.

Ian White

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Time for another Good Idea Bad Idea.

Good Idea: Taking Lone Wanderer.

Bad Idea: Taking Lone Wanderer and then travel with a companion (who is not Dogmeat, wonder if or when that will get fixed?).

Good Idea: Making Robotic companions.

Bad Idea: Making Robotic companions then regret making them since you have taken Lone Wanderer.

Good Idea: Making Robotic workers.

Bad Idea: Be bitter about turning your Robotic companion in to a farming robot because you would rather take Lone Wanderer at all times and then not realize that you can just give any and all stuff you can't carry to your Robotic Companion despite said companions can have more carrying capacity than your normal non-robotic companion.

Man, Animaniacs was awesome!

Lone Wanderer is a good idea, but you will miss the updated carry capacity, dmg resist and buff if you want companions. My Lone Wanderer character is having fun making robotic gardeners, but I do regret that I am not getting the full experience of this DLC by not taking a companion with me. Which is why I made a new character to fill that niche, and this one will not take Lone Wanderer.

BEl J

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:34 am

I suppose to a lot of people the AI aspect of comps is more important then their story aspect. For you it looks like you put more emphasis on the comp and their story.

Also *you* might think that the AI is "excellent" but a lot of people, myself included do not think that. My standards are a bit higher and maybe my experience with games that have pet/companion mechanics is different from yours which is the reason for my higher standards i dunno. You know just yesterday i gave Macready a fully modded sniper rifle with everything maxed out. I ordered him to attack a Super Mutant that was ohh about 50-75 meters away. He took 3 shots with his rifle and all of them missed. I got ticked off and decided to just do it myself...funny thing about it too was that my crosshair was way off the target but it was still a quick headshot for me which is uncommon for me (used to be into FPS but i'm retired from it and am way rusty). There's other crap too like me sneaking along turning around to look at my comp and they are right there next to me...but we have our weapons out and they have the barrel right in my face. Its just dumb AI not programmed to turn away but for me thats kinda immersion breaking. I mean...the original Rainbow 6 in the 90's after a few patches managed to create AI so that the last person in your team faces rearward when your team stops. AND NPC team members in the middle are programmed to look left and another looks right. Couldnt they program the FO4 companion AI so that they are following behind and to the left or right of you? or so that when you stop they immediately turn around to "watch your six"? or how about they do something about their piss poor reflexes?

EDIT: ohh and also going back through all the FO and TES games that had companions. I only played Skyrim and FO3...Oblivion too but only 30 minutes into the MQ and then i would do my own thing and sidequests. So i know what comps are like in Skyrim and FO3. In those games they had all sorts of limitations. You jump up onto something or down off of it but your companion cannot follow you. They have to take the long way around...thats basically a pathing issue but they still havent found a way around it? unless you count the teleport which i think is more of a bandaid. It would be nice to jump over a log and then turn around and see your companion go OVER it instead of around it.

lucile davignon

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:03 am

I never used companions in any beth game because they have always been worthless.
Blaine

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Alas, I'm playing on a PS4.

All valid points, I just would prefer not to run around with a giant death machine for reasons of noise and as you stated, maneuverability. I had Ada all decked out to be this sleek little hover bot with a neat n clean sniper laser before I realized it was gimping me to travel with her. More to the point - if the whole drawing point of these automotron companions is their depth of customization, then they should inherently be compatible with more play styles with less of a sacrifice.

c.o.s.m.o

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Technically you could trade a bunch of carry weight (while still being over 100) to fix the maneuverability by swapping the Sentry Legs for a Thruster and still keep the exact same overwhelming amount of firepower.

Lovingly

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Still equates to 3 wasted talent points at best, $10 wasted at worst. Not gonna boohoo over 10 bucks; more I can't shake the feeling that us LW's were blatantly overlooked with this add on. I'd put $10 down on on a hypothetical bet that Lone Wanderer is one of the most used perks in the game, were it possible to calculate.

Channing

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4