Lone Wanderer perk... good idea or bad?

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Yea Lone Wanderer is pretty good solo but does take the challenge out of the game. I like that Automatron brings back challenge to the game. I feel like even on Very Hard these new robo dudes can wreck your rear end pretty fast. It balances out the game where you get crazy strong weapons and things are just getting owned easily.

Connie Thomas

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Bethesda games have always been about solid single player solo play.

Companions seem to be an add-on to comfort the gamers who don't like solo play and constantly beg to be able to play the game online with their friends.

And no...I never use companions.
K J S

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:33 pm

I suspect companions will become nigh unusable when they new survival mode arrives, as currently they frequently walk off clifs/buildings/walls/staircases to their doom and refuse to retreat from fights when you do. The cost in stimpacks and is going to be tremendous and as theres been no mention of a compass marker to find them they'll probably get abandoned more often than rescued.

So, Lone Wanderer all the way?

Miss K

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:24 pm

You could just leave them to squirm until they get back up automatically and save stimpaks

m Gardner

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 am

Companions is NOT a substitute for intelligent friendly COOP buddy's. Everyone knows the AI in practically all video games are crap compared to the on the fly action of real people. While gaming has gotten advance in graphics and gameplay scope, the AI has not improved much at all from the PS2 era.

Ryan Lutz

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:14 pm

My second playthrough was the Lone Wanderer. I did not even take Dogmeat. It was a great run. No pesky companions getting in my way and I did not even miss the perks companions give. I never could understand why my companions insisted on being 50 in front of me while I was in Sneak mode. Companions ruin that aspect of the game.

A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:46 am

I read that companions will not get up automatically after combat ends with the new Survival mode.

Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Leave them there then, let natural selection run it's course.

Matthew Warren

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:20 pm

In discussing the lone wanderer perk, it is a good idea, if your character fits it. let us leave the discussion of the perk at that.

as for lone wanderer thread, not a good idea, as look what this thread had wrought.

Anna Beattie

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 am

I picked up lone wanderer perk and I run with companions whenever I feel like it. Provided that they dont make me dislike them.

My general plan of action, Kill all enemies in base. Loot everything. Might take me more than two trips but I'll get everything one way or other.

I have a specially created box for me to chunk all the loot in as I am looting the place so I can get everything before they're gone and sort them out after i'm done looting.
Wayne Cole

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:49 pm

It's a good perk, wouldn't build my entire character around it though for obvious reasons.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:25 pm

:(

My Condolences (My attempt to console you, on the lack of console on your console).

Spooky Angel

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Consolences ?

carrie roche

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:23 am

:nod:

Agreed, new word. We will need to spread it's usage around the internet to have it added to the oxford dictionary.

Consolences

noun

an expression of sympathy for those who can not access the console due to the fact that they are on a console.

Adriana Lenzo

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Of course it should be in the game. I like the companions in principle, but they do get in the way and can be extremely irritating. Sometimes it's worth "putting up with" it, because variety. But overall I prefer solo travel, and yes, it's a nice trade-off.

JD FROM HELL

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Lone wander is an excellent addition to the game. Being rewarded for not using the garbage companions is more than I had hoped for honestly. Of course I gather them all and do their quests and gather their perks but those useless heaps can sit in sanctuary forever more afterwards.
Jessica White

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:40 pm

It only makes sense to have it, after all anti-social people are inherently superior :P

Betsy Humpledink

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:51 pm

This thread has become a lot better since my last post. Some interesting opinions. People are mostly very protective of their Lone Wanderer perk.

Are you a stealth player?

You know you can equip them with better weapons and armor, right? I know ammo costs money, but they're just trying to be realistic. My strategy, is I give them weapons that use ammo that I don't use.

Why would they be a nightmare with Survival? Stealth? Maybe it would force players to really use them, like gear em up solid and send them at targets while you hide, or send them in one direction to draw fire and then sneak by or flank attack.

exactly! This is the drawback I'm talking about.

another example of the drawback of the perk, people upset about the DLC

I read the same.

you mean, all the companion hatred?

if they're superior than they shouldn't need such boosts!!

woah, I'm level 50 and have only gathered half the companions perks...

As for me, the companions almost never get in my way during combat, perhaps because I play VATS and I often equip them with a combat rifle which is sufficiently long range. That might be part of the reason. I found that Danse is too powerful and takes too many of my kills, so I stopped traveling with him. I feel like people wouldn't want them to be too powerful, cause that takes the fun out of it, so I think they are sort of tuned that way at their base level. Of course you can always make them more powerful, but I suppose they won't necessarily be road graders no matter what gun you give them. I do really love that some of them can do special stuff, for instance I can crack any safe in the game even though only have one perk in lockpicking if I travel with Cait.

Seems like a lot of people wouldn't travel with them whether there was Lone Wanderer or not, and of course there are some people that don't take the perk because its OP not because they like companions (respect), but even those people aren't saying to cut it. If LW didn't exist, I wonder if more people would begrudgingly take companions with them and then complain about companions a lot more?? Maybe Drake-Heart is right, I shouldn't have started this thread because its just become a companion hatred thread...:(

Jeff Tingler

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:34 pm

They would be a nightmare with survivor because you die in a few shots. Getting seen over and over again is going to get annoying. They have terrible AI.

Realistic isn't always better. Hopefully a mod allows us to give them anything and make them useful again.

sarah

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:44 pm

"I'm ZeroLarge, and I approve this message." *faux campaign commercial*

Wonder if there will be a mod created to allow console users to have a console...

Charles Weber

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Some really entertaining posts in this thread... Mostly in that pathetic sort of way.

Companions are there own characters, they have great stories, personalities, and have interesting commentary. Sure it gets rather same'ish after a while, but there are only so many hundreds of lines of unique dialogue that a studio can record.

But take the Inspirational perks & actually take the time to equip them with good weapons & armor and they're great to have around... And before anyone says it, giving them ammo is a non-issue. FO4 practically drowns you in ammo even without Scrounger. Then there's the mountains of gear you can sell every time you walk 100 yards from your settlements.

But on-topic, Lone Wanderer is a (over) powerful perk thats totally unnecessary. Bloody Mess (3) and rank 5 of your weapon of choice does gobs of damage. Then there's Chems that turn you into a unstoppable Juggernaut... Or Jet, which is pretty much a "press this button to win" Chem. On the current Survival difficulty, Fallout 4 is an extremely easy game. Even if you avoid powered armor, stick with a low endurance stat, and don't use any of the explosive/bleeding/two shot legendary weapons you will still hit critical mass and become a walking harbinger of doom.

The only reason to take Lone Wanderer is if you're a highly stealth oriented character, genuinely anti-social, deliberately playing a weak build, prefer weaker weapons, or just plain hate companions in general. Other than that, companions outfitted with good equipment far outstrip the benefits of Lone Wanderer... And then we have Automatron robots, which make even the best equipped companions pretty much irrelevant.

P. S. - Being "butt hurt" that you can't use Lone Wanderer with a Robot is asinine. You can make a Sentry Bot with a pair of nuclear mortars, suped up Gattling lasers, and an encumbrance of nearly 600. The thing will waste a Legendary Mythic Deathclaw all by itself... And you're going to piss & moan you can't get your Lone Wanderer perk? Lmao
quinnnn

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 pm

My character is a ninja so yes, she's a lone wanderer and it is worth it. + DMG. + Carry weight.

CHANONE

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:28 am

Yes, I see what you did there. ;)

To get on-topic; I actually thought about taking a level or two of this perk for those times when the game itself leaves me without a companion; for instance, when Preston unexpectedly goes running off to the Castle: or for those times when I want to switch companions but don't feel like doing fast-travel. Sometimes a guy just wants to take a walk by himself, y'know? (Or for those times when I feel like I'm about to embark on a morally questionable act of bloody, bloody vengeance, and don't want any witnesses...)

But I have invested so much emotionally in some of my Companions (especially Cait) (I'm talking 'in-character' here, don't get weird) that I don't plan on soloing very much of the game; so maybe 2 levels of the perk will be quite enough. A maxed-out Strong Back perk and Action Point regen is actually a viable substitute for Lone Wanderer as far as carrying capacity goes, since Strong Back gives unlimited weight capacity as well as the ability to fast travel while fully loaded. I've carried the contents of entire warehouses back to home base on my back with this perk.

Should the perk exist in-game? Sure, why not? "The Lone Wanderer" is a classic character concept, tracing its roots from Shane to Mad Max in Western film; and of course there's Kurosawa's lone Ronin Yojimbo, who became Bruce Willis' Last Man Standing. The game's structure doesn't really allow us Max's amorality, but we can still wander the wastes alone if we want... and conceptually, it makes as much sense if not more that the Survivor would shun new contacts so soon after losing everything he/she had. "...a shell of a man... a burnt-out, desolate man... a man haunted by the demons of his past. A man who wandered out, into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again." (Oh, I'm terribly sorry, that's the prologue from The Road Warrior...)

Laura Tempel

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:21 pm

I didn' really like the stories,or at least didnt find them to be special , so that would not be a reason for me to use them.

The Ai is the limiting factor not the equipment.

It's made for a different palystyle how is it uneccecary?

Not really or you just like the benefits and want to play without a potential hinderance.

Nope you can play a very social char just on that doens't run arround with companions.

That's a joke right?

Nope

#Or you just don't want to use them in your current playthrough or you find them limiting.

---

But I agree your post is pathetic showing how you're unable to accept other peoples playstyles.

Danel

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:52 pm

It's a great perk, honestly. Even outfitted with top gear, most of the companions are just baffling idiotic in their AI, and feels more like baby-sitting than anything else. The fact there's no real closure with them but rather just a perk/single quest and that's it, is not enough for me to really become 'involved' with them. Especially when the game ends on a single ending without really anything on companions, that, and their perks are really not that necessary, I think the only one I could see of use is Preston or Cait, since they have overall general perks (+% Damage towards group of enemies, Most of the time, mobs are just that: Weak, low HP enemies, so the damage is basically eh, and 25% increase in AP regen when below 25% Maximum AP, which is pretty useless if you have taken the Action Boy/Girl perk.) Everyone else is either situational (Strong/Deacon/MacCready), or just plain terrible.

Lone Wanderer simply skips all of that trouble, and grants you a hefty bonus, which allows you to control fights and situations your way instead of relying more on companions, meaning higher chances of success overall.

Robots not working with Lone Wanderer is hardly an issue, considering nearly everyone is going with the same route: Sentrybot with "Kill everything in a 5 mile radius" which, unlike other companions, has a RIDICULOUS mount of HP, damage, and resistance.

But really, with Lone Wanderer, who needs robots when you're a walking nuke?

Barbequtie

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4