Major bugs caused by v1.5 Thread 3

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:56 pm

ALL USER MODS suddenly won't run with yer shiny new patch.......like I say, very, very suspect.

ROFL. Conspiracy nut alert. This problem does absolutely NOT break all user mods, far from it. How the hell did you get that idea? I am using Mart's Mutant Mod and a couple of others while I play through Broken Steel and it's working fine.

In fact, dun da da da duh... I present, a list of mods that DO WORK as compiled by your other friendly forum users! You might have actually seen the thread if you had not been devoting all your energies to throwing a paranoid tantrum. It's OK, I understand, we all get distracted at times...

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=988902

And these are just those tested thus far. The real complete list is likely to be considerably longer.

Anyway, on to the main point of this thread.

LIGHTEN THE HELL UP GUYS!!!

I am as disappointed at the problems as anyone. But let's take a look at past history...

1. Anchorage download glitches. Long time with no word, it got fixed.
2. VATs problems, even longer time with no word, but it got more or less fixed.
3. Broken Steel download glitches. Long time with no word, then it got fixed.

Seeing a pattern here? There is a wealth of historical evidence to suggest there is a good chance this problem will be fixed. It might not be quick but it most likely happen. Honestly, do some of you even think before you post?!? You seem to think Bethesda are a bunch of suit wearing fatcats who light expensive cigars with 100 bills. Where is the evidence of your accusations? Of COURSE they want money, they're a business. How do businesses do well? But how do they get that money? By satisfying customers. BUT, here's the kicker, fixes take time. FACT. Ask any programmer... one such man has already stressed this in this discussion. You think they are happy about this? That they planned it? That they don't care? Find me some solid proof and maybe then I'll believe you. Until then, I suggest you be silent. You are just going to make yourself look foolish.
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:30 pm

ROFL. Conspiracy nut alert.

LIGHTEN THE HELL UP GUYS!!!

Seeing a pattern here? There is a wealth of historical evidence to suggest there is a good chance this problem will be fixed. It might not be quick but it most likely happen. Honestly, do some of you even think before you post?!? You seem to think Bethesda are a bunch of suit wearing fatcats who light expensive cigars with 100 bills. Where is the evidence of your accusations? Of COURSE they want money, they're a business. How do businesses do well? But how do they get that money? By satisfying customers. BUT, here's the kicker, fixes take time. FACT. Ask any programmer... one such man has already stressed this in this discussion. You think they are happy about this? That they planned it? That they don't care? Find me some solid proof and maybe then I'll believe you. Until then, I suggest you be silent. You are just going to make yourself look foolish.

Why so unfunnily aggressive [and/or aggressively unfunny]? Why so nausiatingly servile with regard to "Beth knowing best"? Why so anxious to shout down those who feel otherwise regarding this supposed wealth of evidence proving how benign and hard-working they all are.....[I might point to the same "evidence" and call it a series of shameless incompetences with, incrementally, little or no improvement for the end user and paying customer....possibly so, because since they already have our money etc, they are more concerned with appeasing Bill Gates and MS in the regard of G4WL regarding including various "mystery meat" elements in the patches than fixing the bugged game for "us".....]. When I made the mistake of exaggerating [slightly] for comic effect I forgot about such natural born Sycophants as yourself......."All is for the best, in this ,the best of all possible worlds"....... I guess we should all just buckle down, know our place and use those few mods whose funtionality is left to us, secure in the knowledge that Beth is on the case and that now, just as "historically", with our very best interests at heart.......You remind me more than somewhat of those Posters who were very keen to post how very trouble free it all was [for them] was back when many couldn't play at all [again "historical" times, if I could be bothered tracing your posting history, would I find such things, I'm guessing yes....] and how it was all no doubt caused by sub-standard equipment and Beth were just fabalous people to grace us with a game at all.....All in all I prefare my Trolls a little more muscular and truculent.
Guinevere Wood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am

This problem does absolutely NOT break all user mods, far from it. How the hell did you get that idea?
In fact, dun da da da duh... I present, a list of mods that DO WORK as compiled by your other friendly forum users!

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=988902

And these are just those tested thus far. The real complete list is likely to be considerably longer.

I am tempted to make an opposing list, if this is constantly banded about. Which would be about 50 times the length of the list you have given me.

You might have actually seen the thread if you had not been devoting all your energies to throwing a paranoid tantrum. It's OK, I understand, we all get distracted at times...

People might take your posts more seriously if you hadn't put in an obvious troll comment.

Now I will get back to what this thread was supposed to be about, finding a solution to the problem. People can deny the problem exists till they are blue in the face, however it doesn't stop it breaking our savegames and making thousands of mods with countless manhours in them redundant, no matter how many times you want to dismiss it.
Penny Courture

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 pm

I am tempted to make an opposing list, if this is constantly banded about. Which would be about 50 times the length of the list you have given me.

Please, do so. It would at least put a definitive end to this controversy, which would presumably be what you'd want. Also, there are many of us who would appreciate a definitive list of mods confirmed not to work with the 1.5 patch, so that we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel ourselves, individually in our own load lists.
tannis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 am

Please, do so. It would at least put a definitive end to this controversy, which would presumably be what you'd want. Also, there are many of us who would appreciate a definitive list of mods confirmed not to work with the 1.5 patch, so that we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel ourselves, individually in our own load lists.

That would involve me installing the 1.5 patch, again breaking my savegame and a hell of a lot of work, ideally we could run it in the same thread with a working and non working list but as the author of that thread stated:

There's about 7000 mods on Nexus alone. I think it'll be easier to list the ones that are confirmed to function, but feel free to start a list of known incompatabilities.

From my own understanding of the problem, I cannot imagine why there is controversy in the first place, if you know anything about modding and you read the quote from the first post in this thread, that should be enough. If someone doesn't know about modding and / or cannot understand the quote, then their opinion on the bug itself is largely meaningless.

On top of all this, when you have an item, door, trigger, NPC disappear, how do I know if its meant to disappear or the bug has made it disappear? How do I know if it is even there in the first place, without opening up every single mod and checking every single reference, because that task in itself sums up the magnitude of the problem 1.5 has caused modding.

NB And also an important point, if a mod runs with 1.5 with content missing, does that make it 1.5 compatible or not? I wouldn't want my mod running with half its content missing personally and I also cannot develop my mod with 1.5 installed, so that really is the killing blow to the patch for me.
CSar L

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Hmm, just to make absolutely sure, does this mean that Rubble City (Which is located in it's own worldspace) would require me to set every single item as a persistant reference? I hope not because that's a staggering amount of work and a huge setback for it's progress...but if that's what I have to do then I will.
[ becca ]

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 am

Hmm, just to make absolutely sure, does this mean that Rubble City (Which is located in it's own worldspace) would require me to set every single item as a persistant reference? I hope not because that's a staggering amount of work and a huge setback for it's progress...but if that's what I have to do then I will.

Well if you don't need to test it, you can make it an ESM eventually and leave it non persistent. If ESMs are more stable for mods now than they were and I am still crossing my fingers there, then it would make sense if your mod gets large enough anyway. (The main downside to this is, you will have a lot more compatibility issues with other mods)

Developing a mod like that though, stopping to remake an ESM every hour or 30 minutes just to test the latest part of it, is just a crazy waste of time when there is an alternative.
I am restarting the game to test something every few minutes at times and I would spend half my time making the ESM if I had 1.5.
Josee Leach

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

Generation, a town in its own worldspace, CTD'd when I tried to enter with 1.5 installed. So yea, don't use 1.5, or try a workaround posted here. I prefer 1.4, so, you know, I can actually playtest the thing.
Gen Daley

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:04 am

From my own understanding of the problem, I cannot imagine why there is controversy in the first place, if you know anything about modding and you read the quote from the first post in this thread, that should be enough. If someone doesn't know about modding and / or cannot understand the quote, then their opinion on the bug itself is largely meaningless.

Yes, that is the reason that I can't understand your assertion that "all mods" are broken. For example, a huge amount of mods are texture replacers, which are perfectly compatible. Many mods that add weapons or armor add them to the leveled lists, or vendor containers, adding them to new containers placed in an interior. Not seeing a potential for trouble there (since items placed in interiors are "safe", as I understand it), so that's a whole host of mods off the list as "incompatible" as well. Since most standalone companion mods have their companions marked as persistent so that scripts can run on them, they're also off the list (with a couple of exceptions, which have patches/workarounds posted), except that they're still likely subject to the white skin bug. However, the white skin bug is generally considered minor in the grand scheme of things, so companion mods thus probably work fine. Several major "global" mods, such as Fellout, Enhanced Rain, and overhauls such as MMM, are already confirmed to work. Several addon radio stations are specifically confirmed to work, and radio stations in general should work, as there's no reason for the patch to break them if the reported major issues are the only issues at hand. Several specific perk mods are confirmed to work, and again, there's no reason for the patch to break any perk mods, so it can be assumed that those not specifically confirmed will probably work.

I admit that there are certain categories of mods that are very likely to have problems: house mods, quest mods, and leveling mods. And even so, even though the majority of these kinds of mods may have problems, a significant minority is likely to be safe; for example, house mods that change nothing in the exterior world except to place a door (which is by default persistent), as a lot of Vault, bunker, and underground homes do, or indeed don't place anything in the exterior world at all (such as Princess_Stomper's Tenpenny and Megaton House Extension mods), and quest mods that don't place their items or NPCs in the exterior, and make those that are persistent-- which is a possibility, since the quest scripts may need to act on any given NPC, in which case the NPC ref would need to be persistent. Leveling mods, naturally may become obsolete if they're intended to get around the level cap, or allow post-level 20 leveling with Evil/Very Evil karma (which is a specific fix of the 1.5 patch).

So from my perspective, it's quite possible to run a load list of out-of-the-box compatible mods, and I'm sure that many people do. And it's far from true that "all mods" are broken by the patch-- most of certain types of mods are most likely broken, but not even all of those are broken. And as for mods with "thousands of manhours" in them being rendered obsolete/broken.... I'm sorry to say, but "them's the breaks". If the modder is no longer available to put in another few (wo)man hours to resolve any compatibility issues with their mod (patch related or otherwise), then "them's the breaks" for users unwilling to put in those hours themselves. This is just "the cost of doing business" once you start using mods, and could have been triggered by anything, not just the patch. If the modder is available, I've seen several of them already putting in those hours. Perhaps any others who are still available simply haven't been informed that their specific mod has an issue needing resolution....?

That's why a list of specifics would be useful, rather than this mass generalization that of the 7000 or so mods on the Nexus, some 6999 are "of course" broken. I don't think that's true at all, especially since you can write 755 off the incompatible list right off the bat due to that 755 being "models and textures", you can write the 126 "sounds and music" mods off the incompatible list, you can write the 79 "user interface" mods off the incompatible list. Without checking. That's already over 1000 mods off the "incompatible" list, without checking a danged thing-- 1/7th of all mods listed are "OK" (assuming they work in the first place, but that's not the point).

On top of all this, when you have an item, door, trigger, NPC disappear, how do I know if its meant to disappear or the bug has made it disappear? How do I know if it is even there in the first place, without opening up every single mod and checking every single reference, because that task in itself sums up the magnitude of the problem 1.5 has caused modding.

You mean "mod users", not "modding". Modders (creators of mods, and even experienced/advanced users of mods) routinely open up mods and check for these sort of things, and subsequently modify said mods "for personal use". For example, I'm about to start a new game, and reconstruct my mod list for 1.5, so I have my list of mods organized into three folders-- mods that I know I probably need to ESMify or want to check to see if I need to ESMify them, mods that need other fixes (like I want to use Better Living through Chems with XFO's drug rarity, so I need to make a little patch to conform BLTC's chems leveled list with the rarity list from XFO; in fact I've done this already, it took less than 5 minutes in FO3Edit), and mods that "should be fine" based on the fact that they are either confirmed fine, or they don't conform to the specs for problem causing mods (radio stations, for example).

My list of "Bare Minimum" mods consists of 143 archives-- some of them are in multiple parts, so in actual fact it's 107 mods. Of these about 39 need to be checked for ESMification, 4 need internal-to-my-list compatibility fixes, and 64 are either confirmed fine, or I expect to be fine without any adjustment from me.

Yes, I severely trimmed my house mod list, because I didn't feel like checking all of them, but I did make an effort to search out "likely good" and "known good" house mods to replace them, so I'm OK with that. Yes, I removed a fair number of quest mods that "might have been nice" from consideration, and the ones that "I have to have" need to be checked for possible ESMification, but that's just par for the course, to me, at least.

I do understand that for the vast majority of mod users, this is far too much work, and that many such users have no intention of crossing that line from "average mod user" to "modder" or "advanced mod user". And that's their good right. However, it's also important to note that the perspective of "the average mod user" is not necessarily the only one, the "real" one, or even necessarily the perspective of "a reasonable person".

There are lots of mod users who just run a few mods from the "automatically good" category (texture replacers, weather replacers, sound mods, maybe a radio station or two). Maybe they add a basemant to the Megaton/Tenpenny house, and maybe they even hire Kelsey/Jessi, or run Phalanx. That's enough for them, and they're most likely happily running these mods in combination with 1.5 just fine, wondering why so many people are screaming about the sky falling.

Those of us who commonly check/clean/adjust the mods we use in the GECK have are probably doing so or have done so already, and are too busy playing their "fixed" modded game to care why anybody's screaming about anything here on the forums. Those of this group who are modders have already quietly updated some or all of their mods where necessary (yes Princess_Stomper, I'm looking at you :) , and Tarrant, too :) -- thanks!) or are in the process of doing so, if the mod is more complex (Quarn, for example).

Yes, sure, there is likely a substantial portion of the mod-using community who think that their mod list is so fundamental that if it breaks, then of course "all mods" are broken, and furthermore, because they refuse to move from their firm "users" stance, feel that there is no resolution to this conflict if Bethesda doesn't provide it, but just because that portion of the community believes it, doesn't make it true.

NB And also an important point, if a mod runs with 1.5 with content missing, does that make it 1.5 compatible or not?

No, it would not be compatible in that case (obviously). I mean, come on. Of course if content intended to appear in a mod does not appear, then the mod isn't working correctly. If the reason that the content does not appear is because of changes made to the engine/ESM by the 1.5 patch, then the 1.5 patch is the cause of the mod not working correctly. But that's a problem with the mod, not a problem with the patch, isn't it? Mods are optional content, after all....
Cartoon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:54 am

Good grief - I really didn't start that list to add any fuel to the "big brother knows best" movements. I mean, I happen to agree with some of the optimism (I do think Bethesda will fix this eventually), but you know what... I would really find a comprehensive list of mods known to be incompatible of more use to me when I consider which mods to play with next.

Still, I think we already know the criteria for a mod being incompatible with the patch and (big honesty moment here:) I'm way too lazy to compile a list that will easily reach into the mid thousands.

But anyway, I don't know how many of you are fans of the Total War series, but recently Creative Assembly have started a policy of 'daily updates' on their forums. Every work day, one of the dev team or community liason people will provide an update on where things are at with the latest patch. Sometimes its technical details, sometimes its just 'we're still working on it', but every day there's something!

I really think this needs to become an industry standard. If you respect your customers and fans, you take ten minutes at the end of your day to let them know that you're still working for them. No excuses - I know that we, as the fan community, are an ungrateful and ill behaved bunch of heathens and savages, but we're still your loyal, paying customers and it would only help you to keep us informed of what's going on.

Then again, I've said it before and I'll say it again - a friend of mine used to date a Bethesda developer. This guy spent most of the 'work' day engaging in "mature content" with her over instant messenger programmes. So, yeah, I'm confident they'll fix the mod issue eventually, but I'm not holding my breath waiting to hear from them about it.
Claire

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 am

Good grief - I really didn't start that list to add any fuel to the "big brother knows best" movements.

I respect the work you are doing and hope one day all the mods make it to that list, if I gave any other impression, I do apologize.

WMJ - I will start with this:

And as for mods with "thousands of manhours" in them being rendered obsolete/broken.... I'm sorry to say, but "them's the breaks".

This is an absurdly confrontational attitude on a modding forum, in a thread designed to find solutions to potential problems. I will defend all those hours, blood sweat and tears, which you would so happily dismiss, to the hilt.

Yes, that is the reason that I can't understand your assertion that "all mods"

Please quote me the alleged assertion where I have stated that.

Most of your argument can be summed in that misconception and indeed is repeated several times throughout your post. This thread is about finding solutions to the very real problems people have experienced with 1.5, the problems stated at the start of this thread, not about debating whether it exists or not as there should be enough evidence to satisfy you, it is significant enough to spawn many threads and posts.

I am happy that these problems do not effect you, however your repeated playing down of the significance of the problem, seems either born from an irrational need to defend a buggy patch or worse you simply cannot understand and comprehend the problems it has caused people.

I could sit here and take almost all of your individual points to pieces but suffice to say you are assuming and indeed in some cases just giving unhelpful and misinformed information. If I did so I would be repeating the word assumption over and over again.

I'll pull some points up for a dissection but as I have said this thread is about finding solutions, so if you could possibly make your next post more constructive, I will try and do the same in response.

1, MMM's esp doesn't work with 1.5

2, Everything you have stated is compatible if it adds nothing to the outside world and allows nothing to reach the outside world. This is a major deal, the outside world is a huge part of the game, take a moment and picture it. Many mods will add non persistent objects to the world and for each one you are risking a crash eventually.

We know this, it states it at the start of the thread, yet you keep hammering on about it.

Since most standalone companion mods have their companions marked as persistent so that scripts can run on them, they're also off the list

3, It's a blanket assumptions like this, throughout your entire post, that will ruin peoples save games. If you cannot picture why, as I have said in my previous post, we have nothing to talk about. I say this because we will never reach a common ground, as you do not fully understand or appreciate the potential for problems in mods done before 1.5.

)except that they're still likely subject to the white skin bug. However, the white skin bug is generally considered minor in the grand scheme of things,

4, This is subjective, I would rather not have ugly, odd NPCs walking around, some people can put up with it, each to their own.

5, Megaton House Extension Mods have severe conflicts with 1.5 and several have repeatedly crashed peoples savegames. You're significant minority you speak about is liable to all kinds of bugs and if you are dismissing that then you are just taking the convenient facts and ignoring everything else.

Leveling mods, naturally may become obsolete if they're intended to get around the level cap, or allow post-level 20 leveling with Evil/Very Evil karma (which is a specific fix of the 1.5 patch).

6, That is unlikely as they are needed for the Fakepatch and a stable version of fallout 3

. And it's far from true that "all mods" are broken by the patch-- most of certain types of mods are most likely broken, but not even all of those are broken.

7, Its far from true most mods won't be affected. Once again you play down the significance of the problem, this is a problem, a huge problem to previous mods and future mods that are yet to be made.

That's why a list of specifics would be useful, rather than this mass generalization that of the 7000 or so mods on the Nexus, some 6999 are "of course" broken. I don't think that's true at all, especially since you can write 755 off the incompatible list right off the bat due to that 755 being "models and textures", you can write the 126 "sounds and music" mods off the incompatible list, you can write the 79 "user interface" mods off the

8, And you are going to be the one apologising to all the people that follow this blanket advice, with untested mods and corrupting their savegame? I know I am not.

Those of us who commonly check/clean/adjust the mods we use in the GECK have are probably doing so or have done so already, and are too busy playing their "fixed" modded game to care why anybody's screaming about anything here on the forums.

9, Then why are you even here arguing this fiercely and in this much depth?

But that's a problem with the mod, not a problem with the patch, isn't it? Mods are optional content, after all....

10, The patch is optional content when any other solution is available. Again what point are you making here? You seem to bring irrelevant things into the discussion, to try and support your point of view, throughout this post.
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:55 pm

No worries, Maran; I just wanted to note that my little list shouldn't be construed as my saying "everything's hunky dory with the new patch."
tiffany Royal

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

MMM's esp's work fine with 1.5 if you don't have broken steel. Not stating as fact, so keep your bazooka strapped to your back.

Also MMM adjusts the spawn lists. Doesn't the 1.5 bug only involve hand placed items, objects, and creatures ( cell edits )?
Christine Pane

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 pm

Also MMM adjusts the spawn lists. Doesn't the 1.5 bug only involve hand placed items, objects, and creatures ( cell edits )?
It does, and that's why it's working. Aaaand Mart has just checked the new compatibility plugin Numbnuts made and released it. So, no problems with BS spawns now.
Motionsharp

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:05 am

Is there a tool available (or is it even possible to make one) to automatically detect these problems in mods?
phillip crookes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 am

as I have said this thread is about finding solutions, so if you could possibly make your next post more constructive, I will try and do the same in response.

OK.

If we are "working" under the assumption that there is no solution until and unless gamesas "fixes" their patch in order to make current savegames using mods that are currently incompatible with the patch become compatible with the patched game, then there is no "constructive" suggestion possible, if by "constructive" we mean preserving the savegames with the current partially/fully incompatible mod list.

We can only put the game aside and wait until gamesas does something about the situation-- which we have no information as to whether they will indeed do something, or when-- and in the meantime either not patch (retaining the save game) and therefore not buy/install Broken Steel (since it requires the patch), or alternatively patch using Fake Patch (allowing the option to buy/install Broken Steel) and hope for the best (since we have even less data as to whether or which mods may be incompatible with Fake Patch).

If one wants to "have one's cake and eat it too"-- meaning, the user wants to both patch (and optionally install Broken Steel), and also retain a savegame that may contain incompatible mods, then the most constructive thing we could do is identify the incompatible mods by name, and what bug they trigger so that they could either be fixed and upgraded by the user in-place, or safely removed prior to further play.

The list of compatible mods is useful, in that it helps people who don't feel they have to preserve their prior savegame, or have just got the game (and therefore don't have a savegame) know what mods they can safely install if they plan to patch to 1.5 and install Broken Steel, without triggering these bugs.

A list of incompatible mods, though slow to compile, would be similarly useful, so that people with prior savegames that they wanted to preserve could know which mods they should remove from that savegame or have fixed by their respective authors to provide a "clean" savegame from which they could play safely further if they wanted to patch and thereafter install Broken Steel.

But -- I'm sure it's just my opinion-- filling pages of a thread expressing anger, confusion, and general distress, doesn't seem to be particularly constructive at all. I'm sure it's just me.
Katy Hogben

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am

If we are "working" under the assumption that there is no solution until and unless gamesas "fixes" their patch in order to make current savegames using mods that are currently incompatible with the patch become compatible with the patched game, then there is no "constructive" suggestion possible, if by "constructive" we mean preserving the savegames with the current partially/fully incompatible mod list.

Ah but if we do not work under that assumption, which would not be beneficial if any other alternatives can be found, then that is what this thread should be about. I am glad we are both able to put it back on track. After all it would be illogical to tie our hands when there is no reason to, especially when Bethesda does not owe us anything and we might well have to find alternatives ourselves.

Thus I can see several constructive suggestions at this juncture:

Developing FakePatch as best as can be developed and helping test or supplement it, which I would be happy to help do at this point.
Using 1.5 and only recently updated mods that have tested thoroughly. (It only takes one mod to mess up your game, I found that out to my cost)
Using 1.4, without BS and waiting as you say.
Work on an ESM batch file maker or hoping its functionality is built into the Construction kit. At least the possibility of saving ESMs in the GECK.
Using 1.4 and a combination of the waterfix, leveling fixes and other supplements, I feel this could use some more exploration too.
Contacting as many authors of previous mods as possible and asking politely if they might update their mod to an ESM format.
Discussing the matter until an alternative suggestion is found.

The list of compatible mods is useful, in that it helps people who don't feel they have to preserve their prior savegame, or have just got the game (and therefore don't have a savegame) know what mods they can safely install if they plan to patch to 1.5 and install Broken Steel, without triggering these bugs.

A list of incompatible mods, though slow to compile, would be similarly useful, so that people with prior savegames that they wanted to preserve could know which mods they should remove from that savegame or have fixed by their respective authors to provide a "clean" savegame from which they could play safely further if they wanted to patch and thereafter install Broken Steel.

I also agree so their authors might be found and asked if they might update their mod or allow an updated version to be uploaded.

But -- I'm sure it's just my opinion-- filling pages of a thread expressing anger, confusion, and general distress, doesn't seem to be particularly constructive at all. I'm sure it's just me.

I would prefer a completely constructive thread too but I (and this is just my opinion) can understand when someones own work or favorite addition to their game wrecks their savegame, that they might react negatively to it and better it all be in one thread than several, although that didn't quite work :)

This thread series has been useful though for several reasons. One the developers were alerted, two fakepatch was ingeniously re-looked at, modders were alerted so they could begin the process of sorting out what works now and what doesn't, along with several useful experiments along the way. Reporting problems is also nothing to hide from, in a forum, a medium for doing so when it relates to modding, therefor the thread is useful in that respect too.
noa zarfati

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

I just want to chime in.
I saw the warnings about patch 1.5, but I bought and downloaded Broken Steel anyway, just as I did with the other DLC's.
I thought it was just the usual forum whiners that were complaining, just as they did with the 1.4 patch before that which worked fine for me (at least it did not screw with anything important - like the mods!).

But just this once the whiners were right, the game is completely unplayable when patched to 1.5 - it did not take long until the savegame crashes started.
I tried for a while to disable the most obvious problem mods, but finally had to give up and down-grade to 1.0.0.15 and the FakePatch,
and that works for now but is not an ideal solution.
A official patch that allows me to play all the DLC's and all my mods - as before - would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Anthony Rand

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:30 am

I just want to chime in.
I saw the warnings about patch 1.5, but I bought and downloaded Broken Steel anyway, just as I did with the other DLC's.
I thought it was just the usual forum whiners that were complaining, just as they did with the 1.4 patch before that which worked fine for me (at least it did not screw with anything important - like the mods!).

But just this once the whiners were right, the game is completely unplayable when patched to 1.5 - it did not take long until the savegame crashes started.
I tried for a while to disable the most obvious problem mods, but finally had to give up and down-grade to 1.0.0.15 and the FakePatch,
and that works for now but is not an ideal solution.
A official patch that allows me to play all the DLC's and all my mods - as before - would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

This.

It would be nice if Bethesda would just open up and say they are trying to determine what the problem is and that they are working on finding a fix. This is no way to treat your loyal fans and consumers.
Noraima Vega

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 am

It would be nice if Bethesda would just open up and say they are trying to determine what the problem is and that they are working on finding a fix. This is no way to treat your loyal fans and consumers.

That's what most people want including myself but it has not and probably will not happen, and we can't use these forums as a means to "petition" Bethesda this was my poll thread and a "petition" was never my intention just a spot for modders to leave some feedback for Bethesda http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=989322&st=20 just in the hopes of a word back from them either way. We seam to only have a few choices, 1. the more knowledgeable modders will have to work on a fix for this issue - sorry I haven't the know how to help on this, wish I did. 2. Pray to god Bethesda is working on it. 3. Launch a write in snail mail campaign. 4. Stop modding and buying Bethesda games.

I am new to modding and when I discovered it, I was like a kid with the best toy ever! I want that to continue but as of now I fear the CTD and only have a couple mods running..........there is ssooooooooooooo much to be said for mods and how they make a game better, harder, more interesting, etc. they are a plus for any PC game. I even went out and repurchased TES4 (I sold it after a couple play throughs because I didn't know about mods) just so I can play the numerous mods available for the game and learn how to mod TES4 when I wanna break from FO3.

BTW GFWL stinks on ice and if all mods had to be uploaded there and MS could make $ this 1.5 patch issue would be over quickly, I could be wrong but wasn't the main reason for 1.5 patch was for BS?

My 2 caps
Benito Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:24 am

I just leave it at - I have some hope that Beth will fix it. I have not given up, no really complained - made some comments here and there about the situation with the game (across all versions) 1.5 seems more stable, but it is not "stable" howevber, being that it breaks a major part of the game which is the modding, specifically extrenal cells, etc.. Pretty much the heart of the game was gutted.

Previous versions of the game I cannot run for more than 5-10 mins without a crash - 1.5 I can run around an hour (without mods...) With mods on 1.5 seems to be around the same, given they are not modifying anything that is causing issues.

Not sure why no word would be given on a possibly patch being worked on or not, but I am with the others - something even as someone else said, "we are working on it" would be better than silence.
kevin ball

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 am

If we are "working" under the assumption that there is no solution until and unless gamesas "fixes" their patch in order to make current savegames using mods that are currently incompatible with the patch become compatible with the patched game,

Peeps!!!!

Firstly there IS a solution that can be used. To be realistic, it requires a version of FO3edit that Elminister has not yet put onto Nexus. His alpha/beta/whatever has what's needed.

It is NOT simple "esm-ification". It's a specific process which results in a specially-configured pair of .esm/esp files. The .esp can be placed in the load order to facilitate the load order needs, and the .esm lives anywhere it wants to.

It works to fix ALL the issues.

BUT, it's not a solution that people will want to move to unless we're SURE things are going to stay this way, because as the GECK works right now, its a much bigger pain in the ass to work with than the former setup (which was a simple .esp file).
Theodore Walling

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:59 am

I fixed 1.5.....I did it by Changeing my mods Master file to Broken steel ESM (Thats the sad part though you NEED Broken steel for the mods to work for patch 1.5)
Isabella X

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Posted in WRONG thread >.< sorry.
Javier Borjas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 am

I fixed 1.5.....I did it by Changeing my mods Master file to Broken steel ESM (Thats the sad part though you NEED Broken steel for the mods to work for patch 1.5)

My idea on this is that mods that simply have multiple master .esm files will no longer encounter bugs with 1.5, and that's why adding Broken Steel as a master (that's what he means, not changing the master from Fallout3.esm but adding Broken Steel in addition to it) to a mod will fix any bugs. However, I do not have 1.5 so I can't test this (and I'm unwilling to get 1.5 until the problem is solved).
George PUluse

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3