Major bugs caused by v1.5 Thread 3

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am

From a modding perspective, there are major bugs in the new patch, this thread is intended to find solutions to the problem.

Continued from the previous threads:

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=986090

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=985364

The OP's first post made by Quarn:

Bug #1: Saving Crash
Non-Persistant creatures\NPC's placed by mods will cause the game to crash upon trying to save after visiting and leaving the area where they are in.

Affects: esp's only, esm's and interior cells are unaffected.

Steps to reproduce the bug:
1) Create a new plugin, place a Brahmin (CrBrahmin) at GirderShadeExterior and save the plugin.
2) Activate the plugin, start Fallout 3, load a gamesave and COC to GirderShadeExterior.
3) Fast travel to some place far enough away say Megaton or just COC to megaton01.
4) Try save your game and enjoy the crash!

Bug #2: Vanishing\Resetting Objects
Non-Persistant objects (statics ect) placed by mods will vanish upon loading them the second time. If you changed an already existing object in Fallout3.esm then it will reset to the default position (state, as it was in Fallout3.esm) upon a second loading.

Affects: esp's only (seems to include everything even navmeshes), esm's and interior cells are unaffected.

1) Create a new plugin, place a static of your choice outside Vault 101 (Vault101Exterior) and save the plugin.
2) Activate the plugin, start Fallout 3 and load any gamesave.
3) Fast travel to Vault 101 (you'll see the object that you placed) then fast travel to Megaton.
4) Fast travel back to Vault 101 and you'll see the object is now gone.

Bug #3: Skin color on new NPC's defaults to "white" no matter what

Affects: esp's only, esm's are unaffected.

1) Create a new plugin and create a new African American NPC.
2) Place that NPC into the game then save your plugin.
3) Load up a gamesave and pay a visit to your albino African American NPC.

If you're using mods you really SHOULD you roll back to v1.4 (or even better v1.0+fake patch) right away, Bethesda has messed v1.5 up real good... :flame:

As we were over the 200 cap I thought starting a new thread prudent.
Nikki Morse

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:31 am

I reiterate my solution proposal: a batch ESMifier program with reversible functionality that works by reading the file extension (for editing and the event that the bug gets fixed). ESPs become quasi-ESMs (as the ESM state is controlled by a flag in the header, not the filename extension) and theoretically spared these bugs. The main caveat is that load order will have to be watched more closely as there will effectively be no more "ESMs load first" prioritizing of the load order.

No, and no.

Patch 1.5 adds 1 function. Which is to swap water types.

There are two ways around this, one is fairly quick and can be done within an hour, which is commenting out that line of script. You'll get 100% playable BS, but still old water.

Once that's done, it is possible to manually swap the water properties, and that the user simply activates the mod with the correct water after starting out BS.

More wizardry methods involving disabled water and x markers may appear later, but these are the ones doable quickly.

Actually, FOSE may have a solution in that regard. If the FOSE team can make a means to do that with FOSE, then all that would need to be done is to make a FOSE-dependent fixer to the scripts in question so that they use the FOSE-based water switcher command instead. Hmmmm....
Matt Bee

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm

The water thing can be done with a patch. No need for fose intervention (tho if fose could hotfix the esp thing we'd praise them like gods).
suzan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 am

Quick question... How does one make water not radioactive when swiming in it? I know the means in which drinking can no longer be radioactive, but how is immersion in water being rendered non-radioactive handled?
leni

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 am

Quick question... How does one make water not radioactive when swiming in it? I know the means in which drinking can no longer be radioactive, but how is immersion in water being rendered non-radioactive handled?

There are global variables that handle that sort of thing
Portions

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:17 am

The quick&dirty way of doing things is a mod that directly replaces the radiated water types so they use another texture, and give no rads, or less rads.
Basically doing the change the script would do, but on an esp.
The player would simply save and close the game after completing the main quest, then activate the mod and fire up the game.
Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 am

There are global variables that handle that sort of thing

Ahh, okay. Was looking in Game settings.
tannis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 am

Bumping this so people will use it instead of making another new one. (Assuming they don't look at the locked one first)
Rusty Billiot

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

i think this is ufefull http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6142
Laura Samson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:27 pm

The wierd part is, I'm using patch 1.5, but not getting any problems. I'm running 180 mods, many of you probably run the same and are having glitches with them, but I'm not. Strange. Maybe its because I'm in Australia? Is there an Australian version of the patch?
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:46 am

yes there is. i think i have found a workaround.use the first exe( i had a backup. v1.0) then update to 1.4 and use fakepatch. playing for about 4 hours and no problems.
Nana Samboy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 am

The wierd part is, I'm using patch 1.5, but not getting any problems. I'm running 180 mods, many of you probably run the same and are having glitches with them, but I'm not. Strange. Maybe its because I'm in Australia? Is there an Australian version of the patch?

Nope Aussies get the US version of the game, if you got v1.5 you WILL get these bugs it's just a matter of stumbling on an area a mod changes then you see the effects...
Lori Joe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:48 am

I reiterate my solution proposal: a batch ESMifier program with reversible functionality that works by reading the file extension (for editing and the event that the bug gets fixed). ESPs become quasi-ESMs (as the ESM state is controlled by a flag in the header, not the filename extension) and theoretically spared these bugs. The main caveat is that load order will have to be watched more closely as there will effectively be no more "ESMs load first" prioritizing of the load order.

I just found out you cannot load multiple esm's for geck modding :brokencomputer:

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=121033

I have tested this, it seems odd given that we have several dlc esm's!
Alexander Lee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:40 am

I just found out you cannot load multiple esm's for geck modding :brokencomputer:

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=121033

I have tested this, it seems odd given that we have several dlc esm's!

You can... just have to open GECKCustom.ini (located in \My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\) and set bAllowMultipleMasterLoads to 1.
~Sylvia~

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 am

You can... just have to open GECKCustom.ini (located in \My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\) and set bAllowMultipleMasterLoads to 1.

Thanks for that, phew :D.
steve brewin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 am

Nice - I think I heard the bullet zing by that time. ;)

In reviewing the process for converting ESP's to ESM/ESPs that Tarrant and Elminster sent over, it is not a Long process but also not for the meek - depending on how far you have to go with it. In writing the manual we're going need spell-out the constraints and gotcha's around, "Load Order" which I can see will be much more of an issue with some of our core stuff in the EMSs. Again not insurmountable, but it will definitely take a combination of the ESP and ESM for most of us that make the transition to support v1.5

I'm actually going to do this for my big mod as part of documenting the process for the conversion, so that I can both learn it well and test it on my mod at the same time. I'm going to post a Pseudo-version of the process here before writing the manual - I want as many of us to have input into how this should be done as possible! I should have that posted this weekend.

Cheers,

M
sexy zara

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 am

i think this is ufefull http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6142

I have removed the file, however look http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=986842 for a better fix then what I uploaded last night. Particularly post numba 27.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 am

I think I've found another bug with 1.5 which I inadvertently installed when I click "Live" to see about getting the Pitt dlc. Almost stopped everything, but decided I would see what happened. What happened was my usb keyboard stopped working. Mods made no difference. Thought I remembered that some pre-gecko mods could cause that, but removing all mods made no difference. Sticking an older version of fallout3.exe kept things working for a time, but that started crashing.

The mouse works and the keyboard, I just discovered, works in a window.

After running successfully in a window, the keyboard now works fullscreen. Duh.
Alex Blacke

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 am

I always keep an old-fashioned, nigh-indestructible PS/2 keyboard around for those kinds of situations.
Hella Beast

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 am

So, before I go around executing my master plan to fix my game I need a little help.

1) I want to use Broken Steel when it comes out.
2) My game crashes due to the non-persistent issue when I save.

Since I want to use broken steel, I can't revert below the latest mod breaker patch (Correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.) so INSTEAD what I'm going to do is remove all of the mods I have that place NPCs and creatures.

This should solve the save game crash right? I'm willing to do it, if there's no better way. I just wanted to make sure this isn't a stupid idea, lol.
Darren Chandler

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am

So, before I go around executing my master plan to fix my game I need a little help.

1) I want to use Broken Steel when it comes out.
2) My game crashes due to the non-persistent issue when I save.

Since I want to use broken steel, I can't revert below the latest mod breaker patch (Correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.) so INSTEAD what I'm going to do is remove all of the mods I have that place NPCs and creatures.

This should solve the save game crash right? I'm willing to do it, if there's no better way. I just wanted to make sure this isn't a stupid idea, lol.

You can always remove them a few at a time. Maybe they aren't all causing crashes. When you know what is causing a crash, it isn't too time consuming to load and crash if you can escape to the desktop.
Angela Woods

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 am

Just a general information for anyone intending to try and use Broken Steel with a pre-1.5 version of the engine.

In addition to the new script command. There are also some EXPL subrecords which contain a new INAM subrecord that I've never seen before (neither in Fallout3.esm, nor the other 2 DLCs, nor any other mods) and which I was unable to create using GECK 1.1 when I created the record definitions for FO3Edit. I have to assume that this subrecord is new in v1.5 and requires changes made in the 1.5 game engine to work correctly.
Nathan Maughan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 am

Just a general information for anyone intending to try and use Broken Steel with a pre-1.5 version of the engine.

In addition to the new script command. There are also some EXPL subrecords which contain a new INAM subrecord that I've never seen before (neither in Fallout3.esm, nor the other 2 DLCs, nor any other mods) and which I was unable to create using GECK 1.1 when I created the record definitions for FO3Edit. I have to assume that this subrecord is new in v1.5 and requires changes made in the 1.5 game engine to work correctly.

So for those of us who are ignorant, what's an INAM subrecord? And, more importantly, will its lack cause major problems with the game?
Farrah Barry

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 am

http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

For those interested, you can use Universal Extractor to extract your original game files from the Fallout 3 DVD data cab files directly. Universal Extractor can handle Installshield Cab files where programs like 7zip (for example) can't.
Ross

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:01 am

Fascinating... Do you think it will affect our ability to make ESM/ESP's out of our ESP-only exterior-cell mods? (re: the process Tarrant sent me that you guys figured out?).

So far GECK v1.5 is nice, no major glaring issues that I can find, but this sounds like a reason to goto GECK v1.5 for sure.

M
vicki kitterman

Next

Return to Fallout 3