Major bugs caused by v1.5 Thread 3

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 am

So for those of us who are ignorant, what's an INAM subrecord? And, more importantly, will its lack cause major problems with the game?

INAM simply happens to be the 4 character signature of that subrecord. the meaning of a specific subrecord depends on the record it's contained in. So an INAM in an EXPL can mean something totally different then an INAM in an MESG record.

All I can tell you about this INAM subrecord in the EXPL record right now is that it's new and when it's present it seems to contain a single FormID of an ACTI record.

But lets follow this up a bit further then:

Specifically the EXPL records that do contain an INAM are:
testPhilLightningExplosion1 "Chain Lightning Explosion" [EXPL:01003584]DLC03TeslaCannonExplosion "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:01002700]DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100B393]DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall02 "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100D4EF]DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall03 "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100D4F0]

And the contents of the INAM's (in the same order as the record listed above) are:
testPhilCLightningVol1 [ACTI:01003585]DLC03TeslaChainStep01 [ACTI:0100D42A]DLC03TeslaChainStep02 [ACTI:0100D4F2]DLC03TeslaChainStep03 [ACTI:0100D4F3]DLC03TeslaChainStep04 [ACTI:0100D4F4]

Ignoreing that testPhil thing for now and looking at the 4 other,
Step02-04 contain a DEST subrecord (so they can take damage and are destroyable), Step01 doesn't.

All 4 use the same model:
DLC03\Effects\DLC03TeslaChainStep01.NIF

They have different scripts assigned:
DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo01Script [SCPT:0100D4FB]DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo02Script [SCPT:0100D4FC]DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo03Script [SCPT:0100D4FD]DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo03Script [SCPT:0100D4FD]

The scripts are rather complex:
scn DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo01ScriptShort DoOnceShort DeleteMeShort InitFloat Timerfloat zAnglefloat thisXfloat thisYfloat targetXfloat targetYfloat deltaXfloat deltaYfloat tanZAnglefloat distancefloat triggerZCoordfloat targetZCoordfloat deltaZfloat AimAngleXfloat RatioDist;// vars for vertibirdref TriggerObjectref triggerActorBegin OnLoad	if Init == 0		Set Timer to (0.5 + getRandomPercent * 0.003)		Set DeleteMe to 0		Set DoOnce to 0		Set Init to 1	endifend;///////////////////////////////////////////////////////;// VERTIBIRD EXPLOSION STUFF;////////////////////////////////////////////////////////BEGIN ONTRIGGEREnter;// store who triggered us	set TriggerObject to getActionRef	;// if its in the vertibird list, blow it up!	IF TriggerObject.isInList DLC03TeslaExplosionList			TriggerObject.do 50000						ENDIF		if TriggerObject.isActor == 1		if TriggerObject.GetDead == 0			set triggerActor to getActionRef		endif	endif	ENDBegin GameMode	If DeleteMe == 1		MarkForDelete	endif		If Timer <= 0		Disable		set DeleteMe to 1	endif	if timer < 0.3		if DoOnce == 0			if triggerActor.isActor == 1				if triggerActor.GetDead == 0					set distance to GetDistance triggerActor					if distance > 100						Set thisX to GetPos X						Set thisY to GetPos Y						Set targetX to triggerActor.GetPos X						Set targetY to triggerActor.GetPos Y						Set deltaX to (targetX - thisX)						Set deltaY to (targetY - thisY)						if deltaX < 0							if deltaY < 0								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to 270 - zAngle							else								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / -deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to zAngle - 90							endif						else							if deltaY < 0								Set tanZAngle  to (-deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to zAngle + 90							else								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to 90 - zAngle							endif						endif							set triggerZCoord to GetPos Z 					;;// you want the z component of the trigger's location						set targetZCoord to triggerActor.GetPos Z	;;// you want the z component of the target's location						set targetZCoord to targetZCoord + 64 		;; Aim for the middle of the target (fudge)						set deltaZ to (triggerZCoord - targetZCoord)						set RatioDist to (deltaZ / distance)						set AimAngleX to Sin RatioDist 1 				;// the extra 1 is what tells the script to use arcsine and not sine						if deltaY < 0							Set AimAngleX to (0 - AimAngleX)						endif						SetAngle X AimAngleX						setangle z zAngle						FireWeapon DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect						set DoOnce to 1					endIf				endIf			endif		endIf	endif	Set Timer to (Timer - GetSecondsPassed)End

scn DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo02ScriptShort DoOnceShort DoShootShort DeleteMeShort InitFloat Timerfloat zAnglefloat thisXfloat thisYfloat targetXfloat targetYfloat deltaXfloat deltaYfloat tanZAnglefloat distancefloat triggerZCoordfloat targetZCoordfloat deltaZfloat AimAngleXfloat RatioDist;// vars for vertibirdref triggerObjectref triggerActorBegin OnLoad	if Init == 0		Set Timer to (.5 + getRandomPercent * 0.003)		Set DeleteMe to 0		Set DoShoot to 0		Set DoOnce to 0		Set Init to 1	endifend;///////////////////////////////////////////////////////;// VERTIBIRD EXPLOSION STUFF;////////////////////////////////////////////////////////BEGIN ONTRIGGEREnter;// store who triggered us	set triggerObject to getActionRef	;// if its in the vertibird list, blow it up!	IF triggerObject.isInList DLC03TeslaExplosionList			triggerObject.do 50000						ENDIF	if TriggerObject.isActor == 1		if TriggerObject.GetDead == 0			set triggerActor to getActionRef		endif	endifENDBegin GameMode	If DeleteMe == 1		MarkForDelete	endif		If Timer <= 0		Disable		set DeleteMe to 1	endif	if timer < 0.3		if DoOnce == 0			if triggerActor.isActor == 1				if triggerActor.GetDead == 0					set distance to GetDistance triggerActor					if distance > 100						Set thisX to GetPos X						Set thisY to GetPos Y						Set targetX to triggerActor.GetPos X						Set targetY to triggerActor.GetPos Y						Set deltaX to (targetX - thisX)						Set deltaY to (targetY - thisY)						if deltaX < 0							if deltaY < 0								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to 270 - zAngle							else								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / -deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to zAngle - 90							endif						else							if deltaY < 0								Set tanZAngle  to (-deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to zAngle + 90							else								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to 90 - zAngle							endif						endif							set triggerZCoord to GetPos Z 					;;// you want the z component of the trigger's location						set targetZCoord to triggerActor.GetPos Z	;;// you want the z component of the target's location						set targetZCoord to targetZCoord + 64			;; Aim for the middle of the target (fudge)						set deltaZ to (triggerZCoord - targetZCoord)						set RatioDist to (deltaZ / distance)						set AimAngleX to Sin RatioDist 1 				;// the extra 1 is what tells the script to use arcsine and not sine						if deltaY < 0							Set AimAngleX to (0 - AimAngleX)						endif						SetAngle X AimAngleX						setangle z zAngle							FireWeapon DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect02						set DoOnce to 1					endIf				endIf			endif		endIf	endif	Set Timer to (Timer - GetSecondsPassed)End

scn DLC03TeslaChainEffectVTwo03ScriptShort DoOnceShort DoShootShort DeleteMeShort InitFloat Timerfloat zAnglefloat thisXfloat thisYfloat targetXfloat targetYfloat deltaXfloat deltaYfloat tanZAnglefloat distancefloat triggerZCoordfloat targetZCoordfloat deltaZfloat AimAngleXfloat RatioDist;// vars for vertibirdref triggerObjectref triggerActorBegin OnLoad	if Init == 0		Set Timer to (.4 + getRandomPercent * 0.003)		Set DeleteMe to 0		Set DoShoot to 0		Set DoOnce to 0		Set Init to 1	endifend;///////////////////////////////////////////////////////;// VERTIBIRD EXPLOSION STUFF;////////////////////////////////////////////////////////BEGIN ONTRIGGEREnter;// store who triggered us	set triggerObject to getActionRef	;// if its in the vertibird list, blow it up!	IF triggerObject.isInList DLC03TeslaExplosionList			triggerObject.do 50000						ENDIF	if TriggerObject.isActor == 1		if TriggerObject.GetDead == 0			set triggerActor to getActionRef		endif	endifENDBegin GameMode	If DeleteMe == 1		MarkForDelete	endif		If Timer <= 0		Disable		set DeleteMe to 1	endif	if timer < 0.3		if DoOnce == 0			if triggerActor.isActor == 1				if triggerActor.GetDead == 0					set distance to GetDistance triggerActor					if distance > 100						Set thisX to GetPos X						Set thisY to GetPos Y						Set targetX to triggerActor.GetPos X						Set targetY to triggerActor.GetPos Y						Set deltaX to (targetX - thisX)						Set deltaY to (targetY - thisY)						if deltaX < 0							if deltaY < 0								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to 270 - zAngle							else								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / -deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to zAngle - 90							endif						else							if deltaY < 0								Set tanZAngle  to (-deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to zAngle + 90							else								Set tanZAngle  to (deltaY / deltaX)								Set zAngle to Tan tanZAngle 1								Set zAngle to 90 - zAngle							endif						endif							set triggerZCoord to GetPos Z 			;;// you want the z component of the trigger's location						set targetZCoord to triggerActor.GetPos Z	;;// you want the z component of the target's location						set targetZCoord to targetZCoord + 64;; Aim for the middle of the target (fudge)						set deltaZ to (triggerZCoord - targetZCoord)						set RatioDist to (deltaZ / distance)						set AimAngleX to Sin RatioDist 1 		;// the extra 1 is what tells the script to use arcsine and not sine						if deltaY < 0							Set AimAngleX to (0 - AimAngleX)						endif						SetAngle X AimAngleX						setangle z zAngle							FireWeapon DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect04						set DoOnce to 1					endIf				endIf			endif		endIf	endif	Set Timer to (Timer - GetSecondsPassed)End

Looking at all this information it would seem that the INAM subrecord in the EXPL record results in something like a PlaceAtMe call to spawn a new instance of the referenced record at the position of the explosion.

The initial explosion (DLC03TeslaCannonExplosion "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:01002700]) is referenced by DLC03TeslaCannonProjectile "Missile" [PROJ:010026FE] which in turn is referenced by DLC03WeapTeslaCannon "Tesla Cannon" [WEAP:01006725].

That explosion the creates an instance of DLC03TeslaChainStep01 [ACTI:0100D42A]. The script attached to that activator in turn use to command "FireWeapon DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect".

DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect "Tesla Cannon" [WEAP:0100D48E] then shoots DLC03TeslaChainProjectile "Missile" [PROJ:0100D48D] which uses the next smaller explosion: DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100B393]

DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100B393] in turn places an DLC03TeslaChainStep02 [ACTI:0100D4F2].

The script of which again uses FireWeapon to shoot DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect02 "Tesla Cannon" [WEAP:0100D4F8].

Which through a new PROJ record places the 3rd type of ACTI and so on.

The INAM record and the game engine functionality behind it seems to be essential for the correct working for the Tesla Cannon. Which, looking at this code, seems to shoot an intial projectile, the explosion of which seems to leave behind something that shoots more projectiles, causing smaller explosions, which in turn leave something behind shooting even more projectiles, causing even smaller explosions, and so on.
Tessa Mullins

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 am

Fascinating... Do you think it will affect our ability to make ESM/ESP's out of our ESP-only exterior-cell mods? (re: the process Tarrant sent me that you guys figured out?).
No. What it means is that it's not possible to use a pre-1.5 exe to run Broken Steel if you want the Tesla Cannon to work.
Nitol Ahmed

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:21 am

*snip*
Looking at all this information it would seem that the INAM subrecord in the EXPL record results in something like a PlaceAtMe call to spawn a new instance of the referenced record at the position of the explosion.

The initial explosion (DLC03TeslaCannonExplosion "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:01002700]) is referenced by DLC03TeslaCannonProjectile "Missile" [PROJ:010026FE] which in turn is referenced by DLC03WeapTeslaCannon "Tesla Cannon" [WEAP:01006725].

That explosion the creates an instance of DLC03TeslaChainStep01 [ACTI:0100D42A]. The script attached to that activator in turn use to command "FireWeapon DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect".

DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect "Tesla Cannon" [WEAP:0100D48E] then shoots DLC03TeslaChainProjectile "Missile" [PROJ:0100D48D] which uses the next smaller explosion: DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100B393]

DLC03TeslaCannonExplosionSmall "Missile Explosion" [EXPL:0100B393] in turn places an DLC03TeslaChainStep02 [ACTI:0100D4F2].

The script of which again uses FireWeapon to shoot DLC03WeapTeslaChainEffect02 "Tesla Cannon" [WEAP:0100D4F8].

Which through a new PROJ record places the 3rd type of ACTI and so on.

*snip*

maybe this has something to do with the GECK's v1.5 shiny new feature? http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=986115
Jonny

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 am

BEGIN ONTRIGGEREnter;// store who triggered us	set TriggerObject to getActionRef	;// if its in the vertibird list, blow it up!	IF TriggerObject.isInList DLC03TeslaExplosionList			TriggerObject.do 50000						ENDIF

This part is quite interesting. It tells us that if you want to have things that are guaranteed to blow up from a hit by the Tesla Cannon, you just add them to the DLC03TeslaExplosionList FLST.
Alyesha Neufeld

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 am

maybe this has something to do with the GECK's v1.5 shiny new feature? http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=986115

Yes, that INAM record would seem to represent the "Placed Impact Object".
Cat Haines

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 pm

No. What it means is that it's not possible to use a pre-1.5 exe to run Broken Steel if you want the Tesla Cannon to work.

Wonderful, just what I wanted to hear.

I officially give up. I'm not gonna play this stupid game, or buy Broken Steel until the next patch is out...

I'm tired of Bethesda inventing "new features" that break all the things good about the game...
Laura-Lee Gerwing

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:02 am

Have you confirmed that the command doesn't work with the 1.0 - 1.4 exes?, it may have been inactive.
Perhaps a test with 1.5 geck and 1.0 game is due.
Miragel Ginza

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 pm

My game seems to be crashing every time I try to enter an exterior cell now. It's very annoying because I have no idea why it's happening. I disabled all mods that place custom NPCs in the world so I'm out of ideas on how to fix this. Anyone else have this problem and resolved it? If so, what did you do? What mods were causing it?
StunnaLiike FiiFii

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 am

My game seems to be crashing every time I try to enter an exterior cell now. It's very annoying because I have no idea why it's happening. I disabled all mods that place custom NPCs in the world so I'm out of ideas on how to fix this. Anyone else have this problem and resolved it? If so, what did you do? What mods were causing it?

Do you have a savegame from before patching the game to 1.5? Load that one without any mods then. There might be lots of savegame corruption issues caused by 1.5.
Andy durkan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

Have you confirmed that the command doesn't work with the 1.0 - 1.4 exes?, it may have been inactive.
Perhaps a test with 1.5 geck and 1.0 game is due.

Only v1.5 has the command, I ripped all the commands from the v1.4 exe a while ago and it wasn't one of them.
JR Cash

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:06 am

Thanks to everyone for looking into this, we will crack this yet!

So all this is for a weapon? If that is the only reason then why can we just not mod in something similar? (Or something that tricks people into thinking it is something similar)

There is no way it is worth sacrificing so many mods for a cannon that shoots lightening if another method can be found.
sas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:47 am

As I have unfortunately told a lot of people, 1.5 is a minefield when you run mods, some bugs will be obvious and some not. Unfortunately if you choose to run 1.5 the only 100% safe way is to start a new game and then to only use a few mods that have been tested with 1.5.

-edit
Bah sorry for the double post. :rolleyes:
Adrian Morales

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 am

Do you have a savegame from before patching the game to 1.5? Load that one without any mods then. There might be lots of savegame corruption issues caused by 1.5.

Yea I do have one but I think I might know what's causing the issue (though there was no problem prior to 1.5). This crash happens when I enter Megaton from an exterior or exit Megaton to the exterior. I believe it may be a mod that affects Megaton causing my problem... There was also a crash when I tried to enter Faragut Station, but I'm not sure if it's the specific places or something to do with mods...

EDIT: It would however appear that removing the mod in question does not fix the problem and yes I have tried with a fresh game.
Leah

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 pm

EDIT: It would however appear that removing the mod in question does not fix the problem and yes I have tried with a fresh game.

Does starting a fresh game with no mods and traveling to megaton crash the game?

Very odd if it does, well just a shot in the dark, have you any interface mods that don't need to be ticked or any mods that copy over standard files, I would not be surprised if in some way they were broken too with 1.5.

Although some issues aside from the major modding issues were reported with 1.5, I have only heard vague reports.
(G-yen)

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:33 am

You may have a slight cache corruption. I've gotten localized crashes like that before and a simple reset fixed it.
Gracie Dugdale

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 am

Now, I'm not totally sure about this, but the Telsa Cannon shoots a beam of energy that always kills a Vertibird in one shot, but the way it's done with scripts makes it NEED 1.5?
Couldn't we just make a form list with all the Vertibirds, and if the weapon hits a item in that form list, that thing dies? Or is the beauty of the kill how it dies? I mean like, I see a ton of references to missiles in those scripts, does the cannon detonate tons of missiles near the Vertibirds?

Also, doesn't that sound a bit cheap? Instant kill on a Vertibird? I'd just set the script attached to the weapon to a null entry, and enjoy the fireworks.
Vincent Joe

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Also, doesn't that sound a bit cheap? Instant kill on a Vertibird? I'd just set the script attached to the weapon to a null entry, and enjoy the fireworks.

I just watched the thing on youtube, it does seem very overpowered, so perhaps we can even make a better version of it.
Jennifer May

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 am

It looks like a fun gun, aside from the 5 ammo use(and what type of ammo does it use?), which might be a bit overpowered. If it's ECP, then I'd say crank that baby up to 100 per shot, MFC, 25.

But it seems to kill a Vertibird in one shot(or it just does Ridiculous amounts of damage), so I'd say just make it have a effect that checks if the weapon has hit a V'Bird, and if it has, target.equipitem OnlyOption 1, and onlyoption is a token that is marked unplayable, and has a quest for it, that when equipped by something, that something dies instantly. Unless script effects with a kill command in them are less buggy then they were in Oblivion, in which case, just have the script kill the V'Bird.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:25 am

Vertibirds aren't creatures, so they can't be killed. Instead, they are destroyed with destructible data, just like fire extinguishers are. Because of this, Object Effects will not run on them, so explosions can't be used to run script commands on them in the usual way. That's why Bethesda have used this method in BS.

Cipscis

EDIT:

Thought I'd mark the occasion:

This is my 3,600th post.

Cipscis
Madison Poo

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Oh. Well, I still think that V'Birds don't need a kill switch. It's not like they are overly hard to kill or something.
Alex Blacke

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 am

I don't know if this is a flaw with 1.5 only, because i have not played with earlier versions, but my charachter keeps switching to 3rd person view.
It does seem random.
Matthew Barrows

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 am

Oh. Well, I still think that V'Birds don't need a kill switch. It's not like they are overly hard to kill or something.

That's true, any chump with a 10mm could take dwon those shoddy helicopters.
sam westover

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:20 am

So, are the game saving-crashes caused by the Fallout3.esm or the Fallout3.exe?
Kat Ives

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

Fallout3.exe causes those crashes. If you run v1.0.15 with essentially the same Fallout3.esm (thanks to JustinOther's Fake Patch) you should experience any crashes on saving.

Cipscis
Ian White

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 am

Hmm, that's odd. I just tried 1.5 out, and I never experienced any crashes yet. Difference though is that I never used any mods prior to installing 1.5, while using mods after 1.5 has the system working fine.
Silencio

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3