Most Atmospheric Place

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:25 am

I loved Molag Amur's desert city atmosphere. A fortress standing quietly amidst the ash stroms, gotta love it. That place is really worth a pilgrimage. I was kinda disappointed that there were no quest involved with that town though, but then again I guess it fits the sleepy atmosphere.
Victoria Bartel

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:51 pm

I loved Molag Amur's desert city atmosphere. A fortress standing quietly amidst the ash stroms, gotta love it. That place is really worth a pilgrimage. I was kinda disappointed that there were no quest involved with that town though, but then again I guess it fits the sleepy atmosphere.

I found it a bit disappointing actually, I struggled to Molag Amur through ash storms and loads of hostile critters only to find a ghost town.
Red Sauce

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:59 pm

i remember in morrowind i got lost in the swamp and wow it was pretty.

then bloodmoon i ran across solstiem
Haley Merkley

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:55 am

My favorite spot would be on the east coast of Morrowind (Zafirbel Bay). Specifically Tel Mora, I love the giant trees and mushrooms!
louise hamilton

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm

The Anvil docks at night. The water gently sloshing against the shore, rocking the ships; the lighthouse pyre brightly lighting the Bay...reminds me of the summer nights at the boat launch when I was a kid. *wipes away a tear*

Even though such features were not in the game, I could just imagine hooligan children running away from the City Guard, the sound of merry men laughing and brawling in the Flowing Bowl, and Newheim stumbling across the dock with a large mug in his hand, picking fights with the first man he sees. I can only dream of a game with these features.
CORY

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:19 pm

Pretty much any of the main dungeons in Arena were extremely atmospheric and unique. Especially Elden Grove and the Crystal Tower.

Also, Daggerfall at night during snowfall. It just makes the city even more eerie and mysterious.

Other nominees include Khuul, Dagon Fel, the Nibenay Basin at night, and the grove surrounded by dead trees in the Valus Mountains
Rob Smith

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Gnaar Mok at night. Pretty much the entire Bitter Coast at night.
CYCO JO-NATE

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 am

There are many places both in Oblivion and Morrowind that I really liked:

Morrowind:
  • Dwemer ruins. Creepy sounds, flickering lights, hissing steam engines. And the fear when you walk around a corner: is that enemy lurking there just a spider or one of the Centurion Spheres? And what strange device will I discover next? Most memorable: Arkngthand (near Moonmoth Legion Fort)
  • Ald Rhun Under-Skar: a huge place under a huge crab. The homes there look nice and comfy. I Especially like the Redoran Council Hall.
  • Tel Fyr. The first Telvanni tower that I entered. A crazy and powerfull mage that clones his daughters, houses the corpusarium and encourages thieves run around and loot his place - if they dare and are skilled enough.
  • Daedric Shrines. Nice, bizarre architecture.
  • Bloodmoon: Thirsk. Nice mead hall. A place one just has to look forward returning to after an expedition in the cold air of Solstheim.

Oblivion:
  • The Great Forest. When I first saw a screen shot I wanted to work from there. A table, a notebook, a good book for the (long) breaks inbetween. I could almost smell that place just by looking at the picture.
  • Anvil Docks. A great place to watch the sun go down. No surprise that Anvil is the place where books are written and pictures are painted.
  • The pools and waterfalls in the West Weald. Nice flowers around, pools you want to take a swim in, a great view across the valley to the east.
  • Cloud Top. A place with a nice hall and a fire, and a great view across Bruma and the mountains around.
  • Shivering Isles: Bliss. I just love that place and its crazy people.
  • A place I was missing: a nice inn at the Orange Road, with a terrace where you can look across Niben and the Imperial City. Sitting outside at a table, drinking Tamikas finest wine and having a nice conversation with friends while the sun goes down. That would clearly have been my favorite place.

I guess if I would have to choose a single place, it would be the Dwemer ruins.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 pm

I could almost smell that place just by looking at the picture.

A picture can paint a thousand words.

I did raely like most of the Shivering Isles. Its a shame it doesnt work properly, I was never able to finish it. Game kept crashing when I saved and my saves kept getting corrupted and I have no idea why. Thats when I started posting on these forums, I just want a new TES game to replace that buggy piece of crap.
Cameron Wood

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Urshilaku Camp, my first major encounter with the ashlanders.
Brian LeHury

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Caldera and the Sheogorad region (Morrowind).
saxon

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 am

Hmmm there are many place that come to mind. Too many maybe. But some that stand out in Morrowind are Telvanni strongholds and Vivec city. I also like the feel of Ald'ruhn, and Balmora.

In Oblivion there are many as well but the one that really hit the nail on the head for me was the forest. Just walking through it is enough for me.
Rachie Stout

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40 pm

The Unique Landscapes mods for Oblivion were amazing and I loved every one of them.
meghan lock

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Arena-Cystal Tower
Daggerfall-Direnni Tower,Scourg Barrow,and Aetherius
Morrowind-Red Mountain,Dwemer ruins,Vivec,Solstheim,Dwemer ruins in Tribunal,and clockwork city
Oblivion-After leaving the sewers at the begining and seeing the gameworld,Paradise,and The Shivering Isles(especially the night sky)
Teghan Harris

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:40 am

Clould Ruler Temple is my top in Oblivion. I just love that place... exquisite stonework, beautiful location, and the grand doors make it magnificent. My second favorite would be Chorrol in it's entirety. I love that city.
Joey Bel

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:05 am

Morrowind: For me it had to be when I was looking at the paper map and saw ghostfence and just had to go even though I was probs around lvl 5, but I snuck in and got killed, I don't think I went back for a few characters.

Oblivion, I think it has to be when I got out of the sewars for the first time, or my first time in an oblivion gate, I think that in oblivion the awe wears off after the first time with any part of the game, asides from the rats scaring me like clifracers.
Ian White

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:25 am

Morrowind: For me it had to be when I was looking at the paper map and saw ghostfence and just had to go even though I was probs around lvl 5, but I snuck in and got killed, I don't think I went back for a few characters.

Oblivion, I think it has to be when I got out of the sewars for the first time, or my first time in an oblivion gate, I think that in oblivion the awe wears off after the first time with any part of the game, asides from the rats scaring me like clifracers.

I only really have one character per game. In daggerfall, it took me 9 characters until one of them got through Privateers hold, but I saved a LOT.
herrade

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:24 pm

The opening credits a the prettiest and most visual in mainland oblivion, and the shivering ilses has the color that balance the game to make it artistically astounding.

Vivec and Mournhold held the most interest, Not to mention the beauty of solsthiem.
Ebony Lawson

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:47 pm

I only really have one character per game. In daggerfall, it took me 9 characters until one of them got through Privateers hold, but I saved a LOT.

Seriously? I must be lucky. The first time I attempted to leave Privateer's Hold, I succeeded. I was using a Dunmer Knight. People say going from Oblivion, especially a console version, to Daggerfall is hard, but it really isn't. Privateer's Hold wasn't that hard for me. However, I got lost outside of Privateer's Hold. I'm not sure if it was atmospheric, but the seemingly endless forest outside of Privateer's Hold is the first place I have ever got lost in in a video game. Then, I found out how to fast travel.
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:55 pm

azura's coast on a clear MGE day
Mizz.Jayy

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Anvil and Bruma are my favorite towns for atmosphere.

Bruma makes you feel cozy, if you've lived where there's snow, you know what it's like to enter a house and just feel warm and jolly.

However, Anvil at sunset, like the NPCs say, is beautiful.

Anvil at night with the "Illumination Within" mod.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac87/MartutTES/ScreenShot9.jpg

And just... Anvil in general. I love Anvil. (That's my character, I made a house there for her, and a family. She's got an interesting backstory and it's so much fun to wash the dishes in the Anvil pond.)
Sophie Louise Edge

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Seriously? I must be lucky. The first time I attempted to leave Privateer's Hold, I succeeded. I was using a Dunmer Knight. People say going from Oblivion, especially a console version, to Daggerfall is hard, but it really isn't. Privateer's Hold wasn't that hard for me. However, I got lost outside of Privateer's Hold. I'm not sure if it was atmospheric, but the seemingly endless forest outside of Privateer's Hold is the first place I have ever got lost in in a video game. Then, I found out how to fast travel.

Seriusly. I didn't understand the whole create-a-character optionboard. My First character, if I remember correctly, was allergic to metal and wouldn't use any weApon besides bows.
Irmacuba

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Returning to Balmora after a long quest, hearing the mysterious cries of the Siltstrider as I approach the bridge... very few moments beat that when it comes to atmosphere.
Christine

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 pm

Ghost Gate, and anywhere near the Ghost Fence before it came down.

You really get a sense of danger just itching to get out.

Also, any sort of Ashstorm just adds so much to the atmosphere of the game, truding through the hills, can't see three feet in front of you, "Oh god! A Cliffracer!"
Queen of Spades

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Molag Amur (in Morrowind) at night (preferably clear skies). Glowing lava pools, dark starry skies, trekking through lava trenches and over sharp ridges, stumbling across a lonely, creepy old daedric ruin in the dead of night. Great times.

Also Solstheim forests. Such a completely different feel from Morrowind. A little closer to a traditional "frozen North" setting, but still unique in its own way.

The King of Worms' crypt in Daggerfall (can't remember the name). Crazy twisting passages, sudden pits and dropoffs, then finally seeing his throne room and the lich king face to face. Even for such an old game I really got a sense of his power and influence just by being there.

Also any northern High Rock city in winter in Daggerfall.
phil walsh

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion