Most Atmospheric Place

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:53 am

In Morrowind, it's got to either be one of two places:

The desolate and ash-blighted road through Ghostgate and up the hill toward Red Mountain, which I first encountered during an ash storm. In the distance, a Corprus Stalker was writhing in agony, holding its head in its hands, while I started to question what my "tender and tasty morsel" of a character was thinking when he decided to take that road. Meanwhile, several cliffracers circled overhead, trying to locate my stealthily advancing form. That creeped me out far more than even the 6th House bases.

The seemingly tranquil but dangerous Grazelands, seen from the hilltop just outside of Tel Vos. Now that I've added MGE to render distant lands and animated grass, I keep meaning to head back there to see how it looks with the extra view distance. Vanilla Morrowind still has a few "scenic moments" in spite of the limited draw distances, ever-present fog, and blocky ground meshes unobscured by the concealing grass that OB uses to "soften" the outlines of its terrain.

In Oblivion, it's got to be a spot on the road to Bruma where it comes close to the edge of a precipice, and the entire Imperial City and surrounding region is laid out far below you. I found myself regretting that my character didn't have a camera. OB's more advanced graphics create plenty of "Oh, Wow!" landscapes, and I considered "sightseeing" to be one of the better aspects of the game, which continued to keep the game tolerable long after I had gotten fed up with the actual gameplay.
Max Van Morrison

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Absolutely best place I can think of is probably Dive Rock in Oblivion. Great view, love it.

As for Morrowind, I'm gonna have to say most of the places on Solstheim. Especially at higher elevations with the infinite view distance mod on.
Czar Kahchi

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:07 pm

EBROCCA

an enourmous tomb in the shivering isles, possibly the biggest in the game.

Its like the one tomb they didnt cut/paste and actually put some love into it.
Alessandra Botham

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:44 pm

My Top 5:

1. Shivering Isles: Night time looking over the Isles at the alter you fall to when you attack sheogorath

2. Oblivion: abacean Isles mod (Dwemer airship is a sweet mod aswell)

3. Oblivion: Dive Rock on a clear day

4. Solsthiem: Thirsk Mead Hall

5. Morrowind: "Molag Amur at night (preferably clear skies). Glowing lava pools, dark starry skies...creepy old daedric ruin" - Cosmar
lucile davignon

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 pm

Inside the Gardens of Flesh and Bone. In my opinion, that's what the whole expansion should have been like.
Dawn Farrell

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Almalexia (Morunhold?) seemed to do it for me.

I really don't know...what wasn't atmospheric about Morrowind?
Ross Zombie

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Daggerfall city at night.
Beat freak

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:44 pm

VEEEEEEENGEEEAAAAAAANCE....

It haunts my dreams.
Amy Melissa

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 am

VEEEEEEENGEEEAAAAAAANCE....

It haunts my dreams.

My favorite dev story is on the main site regarding that.

I don;t think it's easy to find anywhere in Morrowind or Oblivion that isn't atmospheric somehow. The only problem with Oblivion dungeons was the lack of veriety. It doesn't do it as much anymore, but my first experience with Ayleid ruins was amazing.
courtnay

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Easy, journeying straight through the Ashlands and into the Grasslands, all the while taking cover in mysterious tombs and caves at night and in ashstorms. The thrill of exploration is great.
victoria johnstone

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:55 am

Red Mountain region, ancestral tombs, most of Western Vvardenfel.

As far as Oblivion, I like the eastern bit, and there's a particular inn I really like the atmosphere in. It feels cozier than the other ones. It's somewhere in the eastern half.
Je suis

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 pm

I'm a Grazelands lover.
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Daggerfall: Any of the Dungeons. Those things are giant, sprawling, and haunting.

Morrowind: Under Mournhold, the Grand stair in Norenen-Dur... One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. TES atmosphere at it's finest. Actually, all of the vertical exploration segments in Mournhold (giant waterfalls, cliffs, staircases) are amazing.

Oblivion: It's been a while sine I played Oblivion, but I believe in Vaermina's quest there is a wizard's tower you travel into where everything has become twisted and semi-unreal. Also, there's that one quest (Through A Nightmare Darkly?) where you travel into that guys dreams. Great stuff. Best parts of the game IMO.

Mods: In Darknut's better Dwemer ruins, I believe in the citadel that houses Keening, there's that section of the tower that's fallen over on its side and you have to explore it with levitation. God, Darknut is a genius.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:18 pm

there are lots of places, but i think my fav would have to be the dark brotherhood sanctuary in OB!
Stephani Silva

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Any of the Redoran settlements, and any of the Telvanni settlements. Bloody beautiful and surprising. My first time in an ash storm and seeing the architecture for both redoran and telvanni cities, I was in awe. =D Also Vivec. Also freakin' awesome.

In Oblivion, the entirety of Shivering Isles.
Adam Kriner

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion