OBGE Liquid Water

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:46 am

Well, without any shaders enabled I see no performance hit at all from only the water aspect of OBGE liquid water versus using vanilla, and you can significantly improve performance by removing shaders you don't find very noticeable (e.g. possibly ssao), while there are shaders with practically no performance hit (such as hlsl vignette). In the end, it's up to you how you choose to balance graphics versus performance.

I've decided keep only Godrays, NormalAA and your water, but use a fake depth of field that doesn't require OBGE (Qarl's/Timeslip's). For whatever reason, using a more static distance blur helps performance out a lot. I'm up closer to 60 now inside, though I'm still get down to around 25 FPS when outside. Is that normal?
danni Marchant

Post » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 pm

I've decided keep only Godrays, NormalAA and your water, but use a fake depth of field that doesn't require OBGE (Qarl's/Timeslip's). For whatever reason, using a more static distance blur helps performance out a lot. I'm up closer to 60 now inside, though I'm still get down to around 25 FPS when outside. Is that normal?

Godrays are enabled outside but not inside, so yes.
Joe Bonney

Post » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Godrays are enabled outside but not inside, so yes.

Ah, good point. Thanks for the help.
aisha jamil

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

@tomerk, between 40 and 60fps (god this 460 is killer), definitely just the water that's choppy, if that's what you are getting at.

I'm off to see if the 460 can keep up with DoF as well... Right after I fix this damn UI that is... and tweak the water a bit :P
Franko AlVarado

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 am

@tomerk, between 40 and 60fps (god this 460 is killer), definitely just the water that's choppy, if that's what you are getting at.

I'm off to see if the 460 can keep up with DoF as well... Right after I fix this damn UI that is... and tweak the water a bit :P

Hmm, alright, I'll see what I can do about choppiness at high framerates
Sherry Speakman

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Is it only applicable to high framerates? Personally I see it studdering at 20-30 (DoF enabled :P) as well. It's not bad if you aren't focusing on the water, but hell, who can help but glance at it every once in a while?

I'm guessing it's not so simple as setting it to a higher fps? You have to alter the map/animation itself?
GEo LIme

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Well, it shouldn't be choppy at high framerates no matter what. And I have to alter how the animation is handled, not the animation texture itself.
Campbell

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 pm

I see. Best of luck. Can you give any word on underwater surface reflection? I think it would be a big step toward realism. Just don't know about the difficulty of implementation of course!
Leah

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:00 am

I see. Best of luck. Can you give any word on underwater surface reflection? I think it would be a big step toward realism. Just don't know about the difficulty of implementation of course!

You're more likely to see a fix to every single bug the water has currently than to see underwater surface reflection, because the game doesnt naturally render underwater surface reflections.
Scott

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 am

But neither did morrowind :P JK I don't mean to push ya. You've done plenty as it is.
Sebrina Johnstone

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

did you change your FoV in the INI? don't leave that at normal and download streamline and use that to change the FOV. also I really like DarNUI and Dark DarNUI

Also Liquid Water is number on on the FotM. and number 6/5 on the top100 of the past 2 weeks.
Big Homie

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 am

I finally found something to request for:
Since you can edit water in town, can you make Bravil's one muddy and green.
I mean come on... it's Braveel.
Water will be clean there the day you met an honest Khajiit :biggrin:
Roy Harris

Post » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 pm

On the topic of adding shore foam, do you plan on working out a way to display 3d waves in the future or is it really impossible with the engine limitations etc ?
Shirley BEltran

Post » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

On the topic of adding shore foam, do you plan on working out a way to display 3d waves in the future or is it really impossible with the engine limitations etc ?

When it becomes a possibility to add, I'll add it.

Edit: And about different water types in bravil: Would people still want it even if it didn't work with any mod that modifies bravil?
Christie Mitchell

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:17 am

I would, but then I don't use any mods that modify any of the cities.

Though I have found that using water with increased transparency in combination with Alive Waters' added underwater foliage gives the water in Cheydinhal, for example, its own different character. It's slight, of course, nothing like the changes you'd make to turn the water "muddy and green" in Bravil.

EDIT: I just realized this is probably the third time I've mentioned Alive Waters. I guess that the default water, and even Enhanced Water didn't make me take much notice of the underwater foliage except when I went underwater, which was rare. With the OBGE Liquid Water's super nice transparency blending in so well I think Alive Waters has been slightly rejuvenated, at least in my game.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:12 am

Alright then, I'll see what I can do.

And realistic water might still have more endorsemants, but right now this is in first place for mod of the month :P
Juanita Hernandez

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 am

Just endoresed and voted this for the file of the month award. Hope you get it as this mod is just pure awesome, and you deserve it for the amount of dedication you have put in to develop and improve this mod :)
Gisela Amaya

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:32 am

Alright then, I'll see what I can do.

And realistic water might still have more endorsemants, but right now this is in first place for mod of the month :P

As long as it's optional (for compatibility with other mods), and as long as it has a nice, seamless transition, then it would be great :D

Screw realistic water! We all know that Liquid Water rules :D :D
It's HELLA nice man. You've done a really really really good job so far!
Alister Scott

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

I was just looking at the top 100 files, with Realistic Water in like second or third place and your water down at sixth, and I involuntarily shook my fist in the air.

But I guarantee you within another week or two it'll be at the top of the top 100, staying there for quite a while, and will easily win mod of the month. You will get the popular recognition your work deserves!!!

You've already got an unnecessarily sycophantic fanbro :teehee:

back to screenshots, shutting up now

Ymani Hood

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 am

Can you guys make a list of all the areas you want to see have unique water?
Paula Ramos

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Does the painted world have water? I don't think it does, but that would be a fun exercise for you I bet. Dream world? Trying to think of the more unique ones, but I'll make my own list and stop myself from posting so much grhgh

EDIT: Oh, and have you thought about trying to do anything special with the SI water? I actually haven't even been there yet, but from my impressions it seems like it could be customized for it. The thing is, the warer already fits so well into any given environment/weather and looks so good in the SI screenshots, I'm not sure what could be modified to give it a different character.
sharon

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:25 am

Well, I can't think of any special thing to do with any area's water, which is why I want to know what areas people want to be able to give custom settings that are different than most areas.

Edit: If only it wasn't in bad taste to suggest my mod on the realistic water comments :P Since now the author is planning on implementing obse functionality to edit water settings in different weather conditions, and if it requires OBSE then it is no longer any simpler to install than at least the omod of OBGE liquid water
Nymph

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 am

Well i think the lava needs work http://www.xfire.com/profile/cogstar/screenshots/?view#112767566

and here are some real ones http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/volcano-lava.html Lots of them

Edit: it's a pity we don't have ash stones in oblivion would of looked good there in the oblivion plan.
Javier Borjas

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 am

What specific change do you recommend? As there's only so much that can be done.
Ice Fire

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:32 am

What specific change do you recommend? As there's only so much that can be done.

ill have to get back to you on that going out right now
Jade Muggeridge

PreviousNext

Return to IV - Oblivion