Post-Apocalyptic "Feel"

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Guess what, Prypyat, the Ukrainian city that was home to the Chernobyl reactor fared well. Think of all the low-priority targets in the world ending up like this and New Vegas would fall in this category. Only 25 years later and the place is more national park, urban graveyard, and scientific curiosity than a wasteland. The Russians and Ukrainians field their slacker soldiers there, along with training their special forces to survive hostile environments. Aside from the smoldering reactor under the dome and pockets of intense radiation, the place is survivable if one knows radiation exposure and its effects. Physical and nuclear scientists enjoy the chance to experiment around it.
Chantelle Walker

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:54 am

This world has access to micro-fusion and robotic labor. Its practically littered with working computers ~and even a some factories, and foundries... Ignore that and just consider that Fallout 2 showed the world in recovery at a stage well beyond Fallout 3 (some will attribute this to being harder hit in DC, but I don't buy it ~if people survived, it wasn't hit that hard, and if people moved there :bonk:, then it either had things they valued, or they would have brought stuff with them ~more likely both).

DC itself should have been like NCR, or at least like the HUB.

Keep in mind that the people who moved to DC ARE rebuilding it; they simply haven't had as much time as the West Coast to do so. Any kind of ordered settlement in DC seems to be a few decades old at the most. DC also doesn't have the aid of G.E.C.K's or Vaults like the West Coast did. However, I imagine that with the Purifier now up and running the Capital Wasteland will improve dramatically in a very short time.

And yes, people moving in would have brought stuff with them, but there's only so much you can carry with a few Brahmin and no form of automated transport. I'd imagine they'd have mostly food and some basic tools and weapons, but that's about it.
Lou

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 am

Keep in mind that the people who moved to DC ARE rebuilding it; they simply haven't had as much time as the West Coast to do so. Any kind of ordered settlement in DC seems to be a few decades old at the most. DC also doesn't have the aid of G.E.C.K's or Vaults like the West Coast did. However, I imagine that with the Purifier now up and running the Capital Wasteland will improve dramatically in a very short time.

And yes, people moving in would have brought stuff with them, but there's only so much you can carry with a few Brahmin and no form of automated transport. I'd imagine they'd have mostly food and some basic tools and weapons, but that's about it.

A few Brahmin can pull a wagon; People did better hiking it out to the old west in wagon trains, and it was just as dangerous. Anyone with mechanical skills would dismantle material from a few dozen buildings in DC and make a new one as a home base, (if none could be found to reinforce). I do not believe there was as much thought put into the society as the forum posters have already put into debating it. The landscape is fantastic, but the people are paper thin.

Do you recall the gardens in Shady Sands? (FO1)
Or the one in Broken Hills? (FO2)
Euan

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 am

A few Brahmin can pull a wagon; People did better hiking it out to the old west in wagon trains, and it was just as dangerous. Anyone with mechanical skills would dismantle material from a few dozen buildings in DC and make a new one as a home base, (if none could be found to reinforce). I do not believe there was as much thought put into the society as the forum posters have already put into debating it. The landscape is fantastic, but the people are paper thin.

That is exactly what people did for Megaton, though, and as for Rivet City, there was no need to build anything. There just hasn't been a ton of time to expand them into very large settlements, but they are the two main cities of the Capital Wasteland that everyone goes to. There wouldn't be a ton of large settlements, because why build a new one when you can go to an existing and safe one?

Also, scavving from the DC ruins isn't really a viable option for your everyday settlers due to the massive Super Mutant, Mirelurk, Ghoul and Raider presence in the ruins. It'd be near-suicide. As dangerous as the Old West was, settlers there didn't have to contend with enemies that were more numerous, physically vastly superior, and far better armed. DC's a far more hostile environment than the West ever was-cowboys didn't have to contend with minigun-toting bears. :D

The West also had abundant natural resources in many places, as opposed to the irradiated wasteland that is DC. If the water you drink can easily kill you, there's a problem.
Stacyia

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 am

That is exactly what people did for Megaton, though, and as for Rivet City, there was no need to build anything. There just hasn't been a ton of time to expand them into very large settlements, but they are the two main cities of the Capital Wasteland that everyone goes to. There wouldn't be a ton of large settlements, because why build a new one when you can go to an existing and safe one?

Also, scavving from the DC ruins isn't really a viable option for your everyday settlers due to the massive Super Mutant, Mirelurk, Ghoul and Raider presence in the ruins. It'd be near-suicide. As dangerous as the Old West was, settlers there didn't have to contend with enemies that were more numerous, physically vastly superior, and far better armed. DC's a far more hostile environment than the West ever was-cowboys didn't have to contend with minigun-toting bears. :D

The West also had abundant natural resources in many places, as opposed to the irradiated wasteland that is DC. If the water you drink can easily kill you, there's a problem.

The water thing is new to FO3 ~kinda silly too.

They have had a century. There are few that personally know what that means, but its a lot of time.

You have scavs carrying nuclear weapons, and armed militia groups. That there would be a HUB style (or bigger) settlement should be a given, but its not. This is why I like exploring in the game far away from any talking NPC, and "encampment". Only then does FO3 really shine as FO1 did.
Dean Ashcroft

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 pm

I think an exception can be made for the Capital Wasteland, seeing as it would have been one of the hardest-hit areas on the entire planet. I'm surprised anything is remaining standing at all there, to be honest.

If DC was hit harder than anywhere else there shouldn't be anything left. There's nothing left of Los Angeles, hence why it's called the Boneyard. If DC was hit harder then it should be in worse shape than L.A., but it's not.

Pretty much everyone currently living in the DC ruins either came out of a Vault, or moved to the area from nearby. Doesn't seem like anything really survived at ground zero except for the Ghouls.

Do you have any sources to back this up? I don't think it was ever said in the game that all of the inhabitants of the Capital Wasteland came from other regions, or from Vaults. Vault 101 is the only Vault to my knowledge that kept its people alive and stable. Besides IIRC Manya says that Megaton was built and founded by her grandfather and a bunch of others shortly after the war who wanted to get into Vault 101, so there had to be survivors in the Capital Wasteland.

Sure, it's ridiculous for no rebuilding to happen whatosever, but when the nation has descended into complete anarchy whilst simultaneously being blasted back to the Stone Age, it's very understandable for the DC Ruins to be in the primitive state they are.
Remember, Rivet City is the largest and most powerful settlement in the area, and it's only been in existence for forty years. Same goes for the Citadel. People just haven't been alive in the DC ruins long enough to build anything significant.

On the other hand Megaton has been around since before the original Fallout, and they've done absolutely nothing in all that time.
Casey

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:45 pm

No, I did get what you were saying. The pre-conditions in the ruined world at the end of the Great War are much, much, much worse than anything settlers in America ever had to cope with. Heck, people take Brahmin for granted and think that one-headed ones would be freaks. That, after 200 years, they are already back forming countries and developing ways to use the old technology is already kind of a miracle. Ground-breaking new inventions would take lots more time, though. It just doesn't work if your settling ground is a radiated hell hole.

200 years later, there isn't a whole lot of radiation left. I completely disagree with you and it seems most other people here do
Big mike

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:49 pm

My thought of post apocalyptic:
Mad Max, Book of Eli, The Road, Fallout 1, Fallout 3, Metro 2033, Doomsday and the like.

Compare those characters and atmospheres to the ones we've been exposed to in Fallout: NV.

I don't get this, why should New Vegas have to be tied down to this archetype? Besides, you haven't even experienced places like Camp Searchlight (irradiated area filled with NCR ferals) and most of the game which could very well fit under your definition of post-apocalyptic.
marina

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 am

Exactly, the post apocalyptic genre isn't necessarily defined by doom and gloom. It's generally about humanity following an apocalyptic event, and New Vegas is capturing that perfectly. The war happened, the world has moved on, it's not always going to look like it's only been a few decades since the war.

According to who?

I liked FO3's vibe. Destroyed, dangerous, mankind LOSING. I fear that FO:NV will not be desperate enough...will be too built up...too civilized, too under control. I hope there will be more FO3-esque settlements in the wastes, because the strip looks too unfallout like for me. We really can't tell until we play, though.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 am

According to who?

I liked FO3's vibe. Destroyed, dangerous, mankind LOSING. I fear that FO:NV will not be desperate enough...will be too built up...too civilized, too under control. I hope there will be more FO3-esque settlements in the wastes, because the strip looks too unfallout like for me. We really can't tell until we play, though.

But it isn't under control. The entire game is based around a war and your actions determine which faction will control the area, and you can make it so nobody controls the area. Primm is overrun by convicts until the Courier comes by, All of the citizens of Nipton were either enslaved or crucified by Caesar's Legion. There is no unifying law of the land. If there was... then I would agree, it would not be as fun.
Ben sutton

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 am

...because the strip looks too unfallout like for me.

So Fallout games are meant to always look like they took place right after the bombs fell?
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:13 pm

According to who?

I don't mind the really desperate, "losing battle" atmosphere in games. Hell, Metro 2033 has it in *spades*. But I think in terms of F3, it just doesn't make any damn *sense* most of the time. Whether it be civilizations rebuilding in California or humanity fighting a losing battle near DC, it has to feel like there is some sense to make of it all. F3 has a settlement of children only that somehow manages to survive against the threat of Super Mutants. It has stores full of supplies after 200 years, but noone is taking advantage of them. It has a town built around a nuclear bomb which hasn't been disarmed, that is until a random dude walks in that the Sheriff entrusts with tinkering with this very dangerous device. What does most of the settlements even live on?

That said, I'm the greatest fan of the setting as portrayed in Fallout 1 where things were harsh, but people found a way to get by. But everything still felt "fresh" and raw after the bombs. People were making their way. I will miss that the most in the franchise and I think the games are kinda breaking the post-apoc feel in many ways. But at the same time, if you wanna move the series forward chronologically, you have to have it make some sense and not just freeze it in the state it was directly after the war.
Timara White

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 am

That said, I'm the greatest fan of the setting as portrayed in Fallout 1 where things were harsh, but people found a way to get by. But everything still felt "fresh" and raw after the bombs. People were making their way. I will miss that the most in the franchise and I think the games are kinda breaking the post-apoc feel in many ways. But at the same time, if you wanna move the series forward chronologically, you have to have it make some sense and not just freeze it in the state it was directly after the war.

Why do we have to have this FO1 vs FO3 argument again?
Blessed DIVA

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:04 am

Why do we have to have this FO1 vs FO3 argument again?

Not much else to discuss around here.
Glu Glu

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:04 am

Post-Apocalyptic "Feel"...
I tried that once with this Raider girl I met at the drive in, she stabbed me in the face. When I asked her if she wanted to try my Iguana-on-a-Stick, things really went down hill.

Live and learn...and get stitches, lots and lots of stitches.
Sheila Reyes

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:31 am

Post-Apocalyptic "Feel"...
I tried that once with this Raider girl I met at the drive in, she stabbed me in the face. When I asked her if she wanted to try my Iguana-on-a-Stick, things really went down hill.

Live and learn...and get stitches, lots and lots of stitches.

Two cookies for making me chuckle. :cookie: :cookie:
kat no x

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 pm

When you go as far into the future as Fallout has gone it starts to become ridiculous when people are still moping around and doing absolutely nothing. There should be heavy reconstruction and new civilizations expanding at this point, it wouldn't make any sense otherwise. New Vegas is a fresh experience in the Fallout world while still remaining post apocalyptic, and I find it highly likely that it retains the classic Fallout themes that ring throughout every entry in the series.
lilmissparty

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 am

It has been over 200 years cents the war.....so civilliazation is starting to rebuild itself, its only natural. Also, the Mojave Wasteland wasnt hit by the nukes, its been ruined only by radiation.
Heather beauchamp

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:26 am

As it appears the west coast had a few more lucky breaks than the East Coast.

For one, the biggest threat for the settlements there was The Unity and we all know that little problem was swiftly taken care of.
On the east coast there are still raiders, super mutants, mercs, other scumbags that will gladly crush whatever you have just rebuild. Therefor, rebuilding would obviously take a little to a lot more effort on the east coast than the west.

[Heck, even the caravan guarding missions would end up protecting the caravan from either a few marauders or dangerous wild animals.]

Second, It also seemed that a lot more Vaults had acces to a Geck, making it easier to restart communities.
On the east coast, there was only vault 87 that had a Geck, whilst on the west we had at least 3 communities started by the use of the GECK.
[Shady Sands/NCR, Vault City and Arroyo Revisited(as in they restarted that little village after you completed FO2)]

Third, most of the vaults and people there seemed to have opened up and produced reasonably stable persons in comparison to the east coast. Perhaps due to the fact that major settlements like Shady sands were already present in FO1, when the Vaults were still used to actually preserve mankind and not as experiments. (that was thought of and implemented in FO2.)
[Granted, Vault 12 (necropolis) door hadn't closed in FO1 but there it was written off as a malfunction, instead of intention. Vault 13 should be obvious, Vault 15 started shady sands and vault 8 resulted into Vault City. On the east coast we have for starters Vault 106 wich uses drugs to drive people insane, who escaped to the wasteland and are basically raiders now. Same for vault 92, different method but still people went bat[censored] insane. Then we have the gary vault, 107 IIRC, also a post apocalyptic Arkham Asylum, not even talking about Vault 87, probably the biggest reason the east coast was screwed for a long time.]

So let's face it, the west coast settlements and people had a little help to get back on track. The east coast (DC) people had their first lucky break after some guy from a vault started the water purifier. They still have the problem of raiders, Super Mutants and other things trying to kill them, but at least a lot less of the 'normal" population wil stop dying of dehydration and assorted symptoms.

Given that NV is a city that is less damaged by destruction, less affected by radiation, and has more means to sustain itself and/or use better equipment. [It isn't destroyed, and can be powered because of Hoover Dam] So I do not find it strange it has been able to get itself back on track a lot faster.

So it doesn't bother me at all, and I even find it logical, even in an apocalyptic or post apocalyptic setting.
Brian LeHury

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:03 pm

The post apocalyptic genre is very broad, and when you go as far into the future as Fallout has gone it starts to become ridiculous when people are still moping around and doing absolutely nothing. There should be heavy reconstruction and new civilizations expanding at this point, it wouldn't make any sense otherwise. New Vegas is a fresh experience in the Fallout world while still remaining post apocalyptic, and I find it highly likely that it retains the classic Fallout themes that ring throughout every entry in the series.

Exactly, its just plain illogical to say that mankind is still in ruins after 200 years, if you like the FO 3 atmosphere better then you probably have a pension for the dramatic.
sara OMAR

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 am

I'm sure there will be that "feel" in the game, but from what I have seen so far it looks much less like it.
Rik Douglas

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 am

Does it look like F: NV has lost that post apocalyptic feel?

The Mojave wasteland looks just like it does IRL.
All the settlements look in-tact. I haven't seen one structure, farmhouse capital building or other thats been stripped to its frame.
I just watched the interview from G4tv.com, and saw them go into a swanky hotel covered in lights... with people inside who look like their from 1940s-50s vegas - YES thats the mentaltity but shouldn't they look a bit bedgraggled?
The sky is blue - yea I know a lot of people actually got the fellout mod, but way more didn't. Having a polluted sky just makes the game feel bombed out.
The whole thing just seems way too organized to me, there's army sized factions in control of vast areas - unlike FO3 where the various factions barely had control of little bits of ground.
They may have gone a bit too far with the whole "cowboy" thing. Almost every shot I see someone has a cowboy hat on.
I haven't seen any factions like the raiders (not just raiders from fallout 3 but fallout 1 too) I'm talking about desperate doomsday look - everyone in the screenshots is wearing faction clothes or cowboy clothes where are the spikes and torn clothes? I haven't even seen any shots of someone with power armor yet?!!
I'm not talking about it being "bombed out" so to spek - please DO NOT say: "the Vegas area was not directly hit with bombs" Ok, I understand that but I'd like to see some of the after effects of losing a central government - there would've been large scale destruction and even though much would've been rebuilt there should still be abandoned cities.

I think too many peope (WoW fans probably) complained that FO3 wasn't colorful enough and wasn't populated enough.

I want to make it CLEAR that I think this game is going to be awesome in terms of gameplay. It's just that I'm concerned about the post apocalyptic look and feel.

If you ask me the game looks like it's set in a parallel world in the 1950s but with an 1870s "Wild West" twist and all the animals are different. It doesn't look like there's been a horrible nuclear war and everyone is eeking out their survival.

What do you have against WoW players? And I think that there should be more torn clothes, with the occasional burnt-out building. After all fires happen naturally, not to mention there will probably be flamers in game.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 am

Does it look like F: NV has lost that post apocalyptic feel?

The Mojave wasteland looks just like it does IRL.
All the settlements look in-tact. I haven't seen one structure, farmhouse capital building or other thats been stripped to its frame.
I just watched the interview from G4tv.com, and saw them go into a swanky hotel covered in lights... with people inside who look like their from 1940s-50s vegas - YES thats the mentaltity but shouldn't they look a bit bedgraggled?
The sky is blue - yea I know a lot of people actually got the fellout mod, but way more didn't. Having a polluted sky just makes the game feel bombed out.
The whole thing just seems way too organized to me, there's army sized factions in control of vast areas - unlike FO3 where the various factions barely had control of little bits of ground.
They may have gone a bit too far with the whole "cowboy" thing. Almost every shot I see someone has a cowboy hat on.
I haven't seen any factions like the raiders (not just raiders from fallout 3 but fallout 1 too) I'm talking about desperate doomsday look - everyone in the screenshots is wearing faction clothes or cowboy clothes where are the spikes and torn clothes? I haven't even seen any shots of someone with power armor yet?!!
I'm not talking about it being "bombed out" so to spek - please DO NOT say: "the Vegas area was not directly hit with bombs" Ok, I understand that but I'd like to see some of the after effects of losing a central government - there would've been large scale destruction and even though much would've been rebuilt there should still be abandoned cities.

I think too many peope (WoW fans probably) complained that FO3 wasn't colorful enough and wasn't populated enough.

I want to make it CLEAR that I think this game is going to be awesome in terms of gameplay. It's just that I'm concerned about the post apocalyptic look and feel.

If you ask me the game looks like it's set in a parallel world in the 1950s but with an 1870s "Wild West" twist and all the animals are different. It doesn't look like there's been a horrible nuclear war and everyone is eeking out their survival.

You do realize that 1) Vegas was never actually Bombed..and 2) It has been almost 200 years since the last bomb fell right? It is not going to remain gray for ever.
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:11 am

I don't worry about "civilisation" much. It's like the old Judge Dredd comicbook - that was post-apocalyptic, and you had the wasteland complete with people living in tin shacks and mutants. BUT the rest of humanity had built a big city with a big wall around it, and inside the city was all futuristic and space-age. I grew up with that, and didn't once worry that "omg this is after a nuclear war, they should be living in rubble eating molerats". Actually, what does surprise me in Fallout is that, 200 years after a war, there isn't MORE civilisation, more government. I understand the storyline reasons for it not being so, the Enclave, the NCR etc. But finally getting to a place where there is some kind of normality (however dark, seedy and twisted) doesn't bother me.

In the immediate aftermath of a war like that, food and water and medicine would be the priorities. But then would come rebuilding, shelter, power, all the things that existed before the war. and security of those things would be a priority too. Like Rivet City - it only had one guard outside. It should have an army defending it, since it was way too easy for a lone gunwoman to walk in and kill everyone, take everything.

New Vegas is kind of following that pattern, from what I can see. They rebuilt it (after it was looted post-war), put a wall around it, and defend it. Makes perfect sense.

One thing is for sure - if there is war tommorow, and you survive, you won't be living in tin lean-tos, or rubble/trash filled houses. That isn't human nature. You will clean up, rebuild. (someone stop me, taking this FAR too seriously lol)
Emma-Jane Merrin

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 am

I don't know, I'll just have to wait and see
brenden casey

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas