Post-Apocalyptic "Feel"

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Does it look like F: NV has lost that post apocalyptic feel?

The Mojave wasteland looks just like it does IRL.
All the settlements look in-tact. I haven't seen one structure, farmhouse capital building or other thats been stripped to its frame.
I just watched the interview from G4tv.com, and saw them go into a swanky hotel covered in lights... with people inside who look like their from 1940s-50s vegas - YES thats the mentaltity but shouldn't they look a bit bedgraggled?
The sky is blue - yea I know a lot of people actually got the fellout mod, but way more didn't. Having a polluted sky just makes the game feel bombed out.
The whole thing just seems way too organized to me, there's army sized factions in control of vast areas - unlike FO3 where the various factions barely had control of little bits of ground.
They may have gone a bit too far with the whole "cowboy" thing. Almost every shot I see someone has a cowboy hat on.
I haven't seen any factions like the raiders (not just raiders from fallout 3 but fallout 1 too) I'm talking about desperate doomsday look - everyone in the screenshots is wearing faction clothes or cowboy clothes where are the spikes and torn clothes? I haven't even seen any shots of someone with power armor yet?!!
I'm not talking about it being "bombed out" so to spek - please DO NOT say: "the Vegas area was not directly hit with bombs" Ok, I understand that but I'd like to see some of the after effects of losing a central government - there would've been large scale destruction and even though much would've been rebuilt there should still be abandoned cities.

I think too many peope (WoW fans probably) complained that FO3 wasn't colorful enough and wasn't populated enough.

I want to make it CLEAR that I think this game is going to be awesome in terms of gameplay. It's just that I'm concerned about the post apocalyptic look and feel.

If you ask me the game looks like it's set in a parallel world in the 1950s but with an 1870s "Wild West" twist and all the animals are different. It doesn't look like there's been a horrible nuclear war and everyone is eeking out their survival.
Liv Brown

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 am

possibly, since it wasn't bombed, Vegas is the one place where life has gone on more-or-less as normal. It has power, so construction etc can go ahead.

BUT I agree, it does look a bit Red Dead. Sure it will be difference once we actually play it.
louise tagg

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Tto be honest, a small part of me thinks this is NV with alternate 1940s/50s people, with a fusion of Wild West and Mafia together.

I'm still willing to give the storyline/setting a chance.
Ice Fire

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 am

I think too many peope (WoW fans probably) complained that FO3 wasn't colorful enough and wasn't populated enough.

Yeah I'm sure that the entire design process was based on that right there.
:facepalm:
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 am

Aside from the stuff you already mentioned, like how Vegas wasn't hit by any bombs, if you follow the F1 and F2 timeline then there has been lots of rebuilding. In F2, there were many different settlements on the "rise" as it were (one of them being NCR). The old games also had aesthetics that were really "deserty" and sorta wild west in themselves, it was F3 that broke away from that. Though I'd agree that the abundance of cowboy hats and 50s suits is a bit too much.

I think F3 itself would've made much more sense if it had been set closer to war years because after 200 years, there would've been civilizations on the rise. Much moreso than what was shown in F3.

That said, I don't agree with Bethesda's rule that each game in the series should be the newest chronologically (Obsidian originally wanted to do the game closer to the disaster). Because I think if you go the route Bethesda did with F3 (having stuff be destroyed and no progress after all that time), then it just loses sense and credibility. Whereas the way of F2 and New Vegas gets further away from the post-apoc feel that was so prominent in the first game.
SWagg KId

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:42 am

I think it's nice.
Its been 203 years since the bombs.
The wasteland needs a rebirth at some point.
So if they're going to go back to that "post-apocalyptic" feel then it needs to be set in a date closer to the bombs IMO.
Or at an extremely hostile area which never had a chance for any rebirth.
But we've had some already:
CW, hostile like crazy, no chance for it's inhabitants to rebuild since it's just going to be destroyed by mutants, animals and raiders.
The Pitt, a radioactive wastehole which prior to ashur was filled with murders, rapists and death/torture squads.

Unless it's set at a closer date to the bombs (2087-2140) then I don't expect to see any more extremely ruined places unless it's a war-torn hell-hole like CW and Pitt.
maria Dwyer

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:23 am

Seeing as how we have barely seen all the locations in Fallout:NV I doubt there is much trouble. The strip get's it power from the Hoover Dam so it would make sense that it's a bit brighter than everything else. As for the Cowboy look, don't we see that nowadays as well in certain parts of America? I wouldn't know exactly since I'm from Europe but I believe there are places where people still wear cowboy/girl like outfits. Seeing as how those clothes would be left behind for them to use or make other clothes based on those examples it doesn't really surprise me.

Personally I think it's good that some area's don't look completely post-apocalyptic. Aside from the fact that it's already 200 years after the bombs fell (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) it can also make the player think 'oh this place doesn't look that bad, perhaps it's okay to drop my guard a bit' only to have it bite him/her in the painfull behind.
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:27 pm

I know you can venture out into the desert and leave the strip, so maybe there are the odd settlements around which are a bit more shanty-ish?
Kelvin

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 pm

I agree, but I hope there's still some post-apocalyptic feel to it. I'm willing to give the new style a chance.
Isabella X

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 pm

200 years since the war. Post Apocalypse is just that... After the apocalypse... Doesn`t have to be all dark and toxic looking.
Sarah Unwin

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Okay, the West has been in two previous Fallout games. In Fallout 3, it was the East and there wasnt many actual Factions. You wanna talk about 'Civilized' take a look at the BoS at The Citadel or the Enclave. They had vertabirds. Not to mention Raven Rock. We saw the few factions that ARE civilized which are the major ones. NCR has been around the longest so they should be the biggest. :stare: :shrug:
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:37 pm

The strip is the hip part of New Vegas, it's mostly all we've been shown location wise. Personally, I find it a 'happier' version of New Reno.

Edit- I remember seeing you make this thread 1-2 times before. Are you hoping if you make this thread enough times, all of the New Vegas forums will agree with you?

Edit Edit- I'm being a very grumpy person. I'm sorry. :shakehead:
lucile

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Okay, the West has been in two previous Fallout games. In Fallout 3, it was the East and there wasnt many actual Factions. You wanna talk about 'Civilized' take a look at the BoS at The Citadel or the Enclave. They had vertabirds. Not to mention Raven Rock. We saw the few factions that ARE civilized which are the major ones. NCR has been around the longest so they should be the biggest. :stare: :shrug:

That really doesn't make any sense what so ever. That's like saying Iran has been around longer than the United States so it should be bigger.

The BOS in the Citadel were LOL freaking barely surviving there, and Raven rock was hidden in a mountain. Those two have NOTHING on NV which is flaunting itself.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Edit- I remember seeing you make this thread 1-2 times before. Are you hoping if you make this thread enough times, all of the New Vegas forums will agree with you?

You remember wrong... You really oughta take a look at a users topic list before you accuse them of repeated postings.
Emerald Dreams

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:45 pm

You remember wrong... You really oughta take a look at a users topic list before you accuse them of repeated postings.

I know I've seen this thread, or maybe this was just a post he made. I dont know. I havent slept. I'm just being an ass at everything. Sorry. :sadvaultboy:
Lauren Denman

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:32 am

I blame Fallout 3 for this. It's absolutely ridiculous for humanity to have done absolutely nothing in the 200 years since the war; one of Fallout 3's problems was that it felt like it was set around the time of Fallout 1, not two centuries after the war. There should be a lot of rebuilding and populated cities by now.

200 years since the war. Post Apocalypse is just that... After the apocalypse... Doesn`t have to be all dark and toxic looking.

Exactly, the post apocalyptic genre isn't necessarily defined by doom and gloom. It's generally about humanity following an apocalyptic event, and New Vegas is capturing that perfectly. The war happened, the world has moved on, it's not always going to look like it's only been a few decades since the war.
Kelsey Hall

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:35 am

That really doesn't make any sense what so ever. That's like saying Iran has been around longer than the United States so it should be bigger.

The BOS in the Citadel were LOL freaking barely surviving there, and Raven rock was hidden in a mountain. Those two have NOTHING on NV which is flaunting itself.

The BoS, barley surviving? Hmmm your right, that giant robot named Liberty Prime didnt destroy the Enclave hands down. It seems to me that they were thriving really. Not to mention there on the East Coast and the original BoS is on the West side and this was a small branch. We're in the west now, and the west is where everything started meaning the civilization will be bigger. Also they have the Hoover Dam. As for Raven Rock, it was a HUGE Lab sorta thing hidden in a mountain to avoid being seen obviously. Did I mention the Vertabirds. I'm not trying to be sarcastic but your comment could be presented in a better way. :foodndrink:
nath

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 am

I blame Fallout 3 for this. It's absolutely ridiculous for humanity to have done absolutely nothing in the 200 years since the war; one of Fallout 3's problems was that it felt like it was set around the time of Fallout 1, not two centuries after the war. There should be a lot of rebuilding and populated cities by now.

My fan explanation for it is that because it's such a hostile area no one has had the chance to try and fix stuff up.
We got dangerous animals, insects and crazed robots every 30 meters.
The major population is raiders.
Super Mutants has the largest foothold in DC.
Talon Company seems to be making a mess too.
And almost every building has feral ghouls inside of them.
I figured that no one has had the chance to do any rebuilding because it's just such a hostile area.
Alex [AK]

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Indeed. It just depends on the area. In FO2 Vault City and NCR were basically what you would expect of a walled city, while the lawless regions outside of their borders were still a wasteland.

Why would New Vegas be any different?
Jordan Moreno

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 pm

You do know that the topics list only stores a very limited amount of topics, right?
Carys

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 am

You do know that the topics list only stores a very limited amount of topics, right?

Yes I do... The user in question has only 23 topics made... Well less than many other members on here (you for example, have 47), so it`s not just a matter of the old topic being no longer listed...
Nice one

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:13 am

For the umpteenth time, this is a post-post-apocalyptic game. Fallout 3 took place much too late.
:)Colleenn

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 am

Under the avatar, on the left. Those links will show you a dozen se7en pages.
herrade

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Exactly, the post apocalyptic genre isn't necessarily defined by doom and gloom. It's generally about humanity following an apocalyptic event, and New Vegas is capturing that perfectly. The war happened, the world has moved on, it's not always going to look like it's only been a few decades since the war.

Actually, doom and gloom should define the post apocalyptic genre. If those aren't the defining elements then the the lines between "post-apocalypse" and "parallel universe" get blurred. OFC with fallout we have both, but my point is that Fallout, to me, is a virtual simulation of a life without organized civilation. It looks like NV has lost that anarchy rules feel that you get from anything from Mad Max, to The Road, to Fallout 1 & 3. I like playing fallout games because you get to feel what the world might be like if everything was destroyed and the characters who might exist in that realm. With F:NV there's some strange blend of wild west and alternate governments. Just doesn't seem post apocalyptic to me.
Lily Something

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 pm

you kno what was built in the last 200 years? Los Angeles...not to mention the invention of electricity. it could be reinvented by now. Everyone could have the internet. there could be forums in game if they wanted to.
Annick Charron

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas