Post-Apocalyptic "Feel"

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:26 am

Did you guys even look at the pictures of ground zero? I'm sorry but I think you are giving too much praise to human ingenuity. Someplace that small being hit that hard is not going to fair very well. If you are struggling to stablilize yourself and find food you aren't going to worry about rebuilding around you especially if so many things and people are trying to kill you. megaton could probably not expand that much because of the way it was built and if you get too big it goes to anarchy (NCR). I think the cw looks fine and especially since if the world was condensed into a year we would only be here for 15 seconds of December 31st, I'm not too surprised not much has been done there. Humans are not that great and I think some of you have vision of grandeur because I'm pretty sure most of the people on this forum would not survive a nuclear holocaust. Just my two cents.
Eoh

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 am

you're right, clearing that much rubble would be too much work, but you wouldn't live there, you would restart somewhere else. You make a good point about "things trying to kill you" - which is why you WOULD build solid walls etc. Tin sheets aren't much good against bullets
Gill Mackin

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:16 am

Did you guys even look at the pictures of ground zero? I'm sorry but I think you are giving too much praise to human ingenuity. Someplace that small being hit that hard is not going to fair very well. If you are struggling to stablilize yourself and find food you aren't going to worry about rebuilding around you especially if so many things and people are trying to kill you.

That excuse only goes so far. It hasn't been only a few decades, it's been two centuries which is a long time. The people of Megaton haven't really tried to do anything; they haven't established any sort of militia, they haven't built up any sort of governing body. They've had more than enough time given how complacent they are during Fallout 3; there's not a single sign that they are having difficulty surviving, quite the contrary actually. Even Rivet City has shown more initiative than Megaton, and Rivet City is only a few decades old.

megaton could probably not expand that much because of the way it was built and if you get too big it goes to anarchy (NCR).

The NCR itself isn't in a state of anarchy. The NCR is actually very stable, its problem is that it's trying to expand at too fast of a rate despite its conflicts with other groups, so when it comes to expansion into territories like New Vegas it's a bit harder to maintain control. Ambition comes at a price, and for the NCR they're stretching their forces thin in an attempt to control more than they are realistically able to control at the time. They are not falling into anarchy though, not even close; they're just having difficulty expanding further.

Megaton needs to actually build a real governing body and a military force before they can even think about expanding though, so at this point that's inconsequential.

The point of this thread is not what is wrong with the Capital Wasteland however; it is what is supposedly wrong with New Vegas. Personally I don't see a problem.
Angela

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:23 pm

@ Talonfire- We know that everyone who lives in DC itself moved there because the only two settlements in the city proper are the Citadel and Rivet City. Rivet City is 40 years old, and the Citadel is only a couple of decades old also. Megaton is a ways out in the wastes and was made by people who came into the area trying to get into the Vault, and were unable to.
Also, there are signs Megaton is having difficulty surviving; Walter, the guy at the water purifying plant, talks about how the town's water purifier is on the verge of breaking down. Several Megaton Settlers, when approached, will also comment on how "this place svcks" or something to that effect. It's clearly far from an ideal place to live.

And again, people ARE rebuilding, they just haven't had either much time or motivation to do so. In Megaton's case, why would you want to expose yourself to Raider, Slaver or Super Mutant attacks outside the town walls to rebuild a city when you already live in a relatively safe area?
Likewise, with downtown DC, Rivet City is relatively new and has no reason to expand yet, while the Brotherhood is attempting to rebuild the downtown DC area but is running into difficulties because of the sheer number of super mutants.

New Vegas also definitely still has the Fallout feel; screenshots of the Mojave Wasteland have ruined highways and structures much like the Capital Wasteland did.
CArlos BArrera

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 am

@ Talonfire- We know that everyone who lives in DC itself moved there because the only two settlements in the city proper are the Citadel and Rivet City. Rivet City is 40 years old, and the Citadel is only a couple of decades old also. Megaton is a ways out in the wastes and was made by people who came into the area trying to get into the Vault, and were unable to.
Also, there are signs Megaton is having difficulty surviving; Walter, the guy at the water purifying plant, talks about how the town's water purifier is on the verge of breaking down. Several Megaton Settlers, when approached, will also comment on how "this place svcks" or something to that effect. It's clearly far from an ideal place to live.

I was talking about the Capital Wasteland in general.

And again, people ARE rebuilding, they just haven't had either much time or motivation to do so. In Megaton's case, why would you want to expose yourself to Raider, Slaver or Super Mutant attacks outside the town walls to rebuild a city when you already live in a relatively safe area?

You have to expose yourself to build a governing body? To begin establishing a militia? Not really, these things can be done without stepping outside the city walls. At the most the militia trainees would have to be outside the walls to learn how to shoot a gun, something they should learn how to do given the world they live in anyway.

EDIT: This is the last time I'm going to talk about this here, this thread isn't about what I think Fallout 3 did wrong it's about what the OP thinks New Vegas is doing wrong.
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Why is everyone still defending this with the 200 year argument?

Why does it have to be 200 years after the bombs fell?

They could've made the decision to go BACK in time or something. Why does it HAVE to progress chronologically?

Hell at this rate Fallout 4 is going to have suburban neighborhoods and the hardest thing about surviving will be mowing the lawn.
jadie kell

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:47 am

in FO3 the CW was very hostile and [censored], and the few factions that were actually there had little power over anything. considering how most of the CW had super mutants in it, anyone trying to rebuild something would be killed by the mutants or raiders. also, it's been 203 years. it can't stay all destroyed and ruined forever, there's gotta be some point where people start to rebuild.
Kim Bradley

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 am

Why is everyone still defending this with the 200 year argument?

Why does it have to be 200 years after the bombs fell?

They could've made the decision to go BACK in time or something. Why does it HAVE to progress chronologically?

Hell at this rate Fallout 4 is going to have suburban neighborhoods and the hardest thing about surviving will be mowing the lawn.

Well it needs to follow up on the story for it to be a sequel.
But I'd love a prequel set around Fallout 1's era.
Ruben Bernal

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 am

I'm not worried, but at the same time I can't forget that back when Black Isle made Fallout 2 people complained about how it turned out feeling very un-apocalyptic. Big cities like the NCR, Vault City, and New Reno made it easy to forget the game was supposed to take place in a post nuclear war setting. And those were areas that WERE hit by bombs.

So now that some of those people from Black Isle are on the Obsidian team it is actually possible that they could fail in that aspect again. Though with Fallout 3 as somewhat of a model and reference it would be hard to mess up as bad as you're worried they might.
Tracey Duncan

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:16 am

I hope it retains the wasteland feel, I've been concerned about this as well. One of my most favorite things to do Fallout 3 was just to wander around the wasteland with the ambient music on, and explore new locations, to me that was an awesome feeling that wouldn't be quite the same if everything is largely untouched..

I'm sure the game will be good and am totally looking forward to playing it. The F3 devs did a really good job of making a 200 yr old disaster location look and feel like like something horrible had happened, and even with no survivors, the bodies and other remains told a story that was really cool to experience, I hope NV has some of the same type of things, I really want a reason to explore.

That is why Oblivionb never really hooked me, all of the locations felt pretty generic, nothing had that hand crafted feel out in the world, Fallout 3 had tons of hand made locations, and I hope NV follows suit..
marie breen

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 pm

I was concerned about how "wasteland" FO:NV would be, but I've seen several clips of the game now and am happy with the arrangement. Looks like there are some reasonably maintained areas, and the rest is wasteland ala FO3.
Sammie LM

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 am

People thought FO3 wasn't colorful.
They didn't visit Oasis, obviously.
Joanne Crump

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Trying to argue ones interpretation of something completely fictional is excessively humorous to me. I think with all of the ideas and iterations some of you have, you might want to consider making your own game. I do agree that taking large degrees of excessive "creative interpretations" done by game developers can be an extremely negative thing, but in the case of Fallout, the world can be interpreted in countless ways. We can't determine how something happens, when it hasn't actually happened. So understand, if you do not like something, or the way something is heading/going, your dollar is your vote. Don't buy it, or spend any more time talking or thinking about it, move on and if you are truly intuitive and know what you're talking about, make your own game and we will all buy it instead. Otherwise, accept the fallout universe as designed by those "in charge" and play it and enjoy it like we all know that you will; I know I will!
Samantha Wood

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:47 am

The Fallout world is one that depicts human survival in the roughest circumstances, and the rebuilding of human civilization in the wasteland.

And so, in New Vegas, it has been 204 years since the war. Much has changed since then, and supposedly, much progress has been made.

That's the world New Vegas is going to depict, and that's the world Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 depicted. The feel is still there, but much is rebuilt, not to mention Vegas hadn't been bombed in the war.

If anything, I'm sorry to say, but Fallout 3 was utterly inaccurate in it's depiction of the world. It looked as if the war had happened a mere 30 years before.
Crystal Clarke

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:00 pm

The landscape did seem a lot greener with plants growing etc.... but that probably goes along with the gathering stuff for cooking and making healing items etc. I for one enjoyed the calming silence and openess of FO3, but im sure FO: NV will be just as good! :vaultboy:
LuBiE LoU

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Maybe I wish it wasn't 200 years after. The point is I don't want a post-nuclear simulation to have a rebuilt world. What's the point of that?

And for those wondering I did make a similar thread about 2 weeks ago but I got over it.

Then I saw this video:
http://g4tv.com/videos/49184/Fallout-New-Vegas---Beyond-the-Beef-Quest-Exclusive/

And I got riled up again. Nothing in that video looks right to me. It's not so much the vegas as the characters. They all seem like characters taken from other times and just planted in this universe. You've got a rich rancher, a ranchers bratty son, a monkey suit-top hat wearing slickster, and robocop. THAT DOES NOT SEEM POST APOCALYPTIC TO ME.

My thought of post apocalyptic:
Mad Max, Book of Eli, The Road, Fallout 1, Fallout 3, Metro 2033, Doomsday and the like.

Compare those characters and atmospheres to the ones we've been exposed to in Fallout: NV.

As a big fan of first two classic games, all I have to say is simple: Play the first two original games.

You talked a lot about the 'Fallout feel' and 'Fallout style' etc, but I am making the assumption that you haven't played or read about the first two games. Even the first Fallout which is set just a few decades after the Great War, the cities and towns are in much better shape compared to the ones in Fallout 3. And by the time of Fallout 2, highly developed cities and even nation-states such as NCR, The Shi Town, and Vault City has been established. The Capital Wasteland is the one that loss the 'Fallout feel' and 'Fallout style' that is what the series is all about, not the other way around. Fallout is about how people re-build civization years after the end, not the survival right afterwards.

I am not trying to sound like one of the hardcoe [censored] of the originals, but if you are really going to comment and criticize a game that is being designed by the people that created the series in the first place, you should at lease have a basic understanding of the series beyond just the newest game that came out.
Luis Reyma

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm

As a big fan of first two classic games, all I have to say is simple: Play the first two original games.

You talked a lot about the 'Fallout feel' and 'Fallout style' etc, but I am making the assumption that you haven't played or read about the first two games. Even the first Fallout which is set just a few decades after the Great War, the cities and towns are in much better shape compared to the ones in Fallout 3. And by the time of Fallout 2, highly developed cities and even nation-states such as NCR, The Shi Town, and Vault City has been established. The Capital Wasteland is the one that loss the 'Fallout feel' and 'Fallout style' that is what the series is all about, not the other way around. Fallout is about how people re-build civization years after the end, not the survival right afterwards.

I am not trying to sound like one of the hardcoe [censored] of the originals, but if you are really going to comment and criticize a game that is being designed by the people that created the series in the first place, you should at lease have a basic understanding of the series beyond just the newest game that came out.

I'm with this guy. The point of Fallout is not to explore a post apocalyptic world for [censored] and giggles. The point of Fallout is to explore the ethics of a world that's being slowly rebuilt by humanity,
Project

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

The Wild West and Brat Pack/ Mobster Era are considered the two most Iconic Vegas Era's and they virtually had to address both those eras in Fallout Pop Culture. ..and oh by the way here's a Roman legion to break up the monotony.

The Mojave is probably a relative success story in the Wastes.. rock on with the Post Apocalyptic Pop Opera with a Political twist, but know that war....War never changes.
Crystal Clear

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:42 am

If anything, I'm sorry to say, but Fallout 3 was utterly inaccurate in it's depiction of the world. It looked as if the war had happened a mere 30 years before.

How can you say this? Fallout and Fallout 2 make no mention of what the East Coast is like whatsoever, just because one area is superbly advanced in pushing along in civilization, does not mean another area will be. And I commend Bethesda for going to the East Coast and creating a whole new story set in the same world, instead of saying 'LOL THE WEST COAST IS ACTUALLY A DESOLATE HELL HOLE'.
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:26 am

[quote name='Andrassy' date='12 October 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1286927873' post='16477061']
I'm with this guy. The point of Fallout is not to explore a post apocalyptic world for [censored] and giggles. The point of Fallout is to explore the ethics of a world that's being slowly rebuilt by humanity,
[/quote]
I'm with this guy; but I'm more of the opinion that it is to explore the results of the ethics (or lack).

[quote]If anything, I'm sorry to say, but Fallout 3 was utterly inaccurate in it's depiction of the world. It looked as if the war had happened a mere 30 years before.[/quote]
I'm also in line with this sentiment as well, though I cannot discount Colonel Martyr's post, because he's correct... Still, I have to assume that 150 years of Megaton is too long.
[quote name='Colonel Martyr' date='12 October 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1286933638' post='16477406']
How can you say this? Fallout and Fallout 2 make no mention of what the East Coast is like whatsoever, just because one area is superbly advanced in pushing along in civilization, does not mean another area will be. And I commend Bethesda for going to the East Coast and creating a whole new story set in the same world, instead of saying 'LOL THE WEST COAST IS ACTUALLY A DESOLATE HELL HOLE'.
[/quote]

james kite

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:01 pm

You seem to have the misconception that if we all played the first two games, we will somehow automatically prefer them to FO3.

I prefer the less civilized feel of FO3. I think it feels more PA to pick through ruins then to walk down the street of NCR. I want to feel like I'm surviving a disaster, not that I'm dealing with petty political problems. If anything, the game that's out of step here is FO2, which, to my liking, was too civilized.
Chris Ellis

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:18 am

I kind of thought the fallout feel was surviving the wastelands while stumbling across various civilizations and their unique way of progressing. I think they need more weird cult following or towns with crazy PA religions, or just plane out insane political structure. Yeah fallout 2 was very civilized but it still had a fallout feel if you got passed the easter eggs. Who is to say that a city like NCR nor Vault city could progress and rebuild after 40-80 years of the events of fallout 1?
Laura Shipley

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 am

You seem to have the misconception that if we all played the first two games, we will somehow automatically prefer them to FO3.

I prefer the less civilized feel of FO3. I think it feels more PA to pick through ruins then to walk down the street of NCR. I want to feel like I'm surviving a disaster, not that I'm dealing with petty political problems. If anything, the game that's out of step here is FO2, which, to my liking, was too civilized.

Isn't Fallout 3's PA feel, a bit anachronous?
Its PA alright, but its PA in the wrong AD. :shrug: (and in FO:NV's case, it has to build more closely off of the FO2 setting that it overlaps.)
Cheville Thompson

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I don't worry about "civilisation" much. It's like the old Judge Dredd comicbook - that was post-apocalyptic, and you had the wasteland complete with people living in tin shacks and mutants. BUT the rest of humanity had built a big city with a big wall around it, and inside the city was all futuristic and space-age. I grew up with that, and didn't once worry that "omg this is after a nuclear war, they should be living in rubble eating molerats". Actually, what does surprise me in Fallout is that, 200 years after a war, there isn't MORE civilisation, more government. I understand the storyline reasons for it not being so, the Enclave, the NCR etc. But finally getting to a place where there is some kind of normality (however dark, seedy and twisted) doesn't bother me.

In the immediate aftermath of a war like that, food and water and medicine would be the priorities. But then would come rebuilding, shelter, power, all the things that existed before the war. and security of those things would be a priority too. Like Rivet City - it only had one guard outside. It should have an army defending it, since it was way too easy for a lone gunwoman to walk in and kill everyone, take everything.

New Vegas is kind of following that pattern, from what I can see. They rebuilt it (after it was looted post-war), put a wall around it, and defend it. Makes perfect sense.

One thing is for sure - if there is war tommorow, and you survive, you won't be living in tin lean-tos, or rubble/trash filled houses. That isn't human nature. You will clean up, rebuild. (someone stop me, taking this FAR too seriously lol)

That post made me feel a lot better. Now I can see how FO:NV could and should head in that same direction of rebuilding to some degree. Even if FO4 stepped even further in that direction I can now picture myself enjoying it still. Come to think of it; there were moments in FO3 where I was sick of the emptiness and very thin populations of settlements. Like Canterbury Commons for example, which only had a handful of residents. I kinda do want a breath of fresh air and some bigger cities now.
Jinx Sykes

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:39 pm

According to who?

I liked FO3's vibe. Destroyed, dangerous, mankind LOSING. I fear that FO:NV will not be desperate enough...will be too built up...too civilized, too under control. I hope there will be more FO3-esque settlements in the wastes, because the strip looks too unfallout like for me. We really can't tell until we play, though.

The organization of Fallout 2 had hardcoe fans of Fallout 1 crying foul as well. Even all these years later, there's still some discussion about the style of Fallout 1 vs. Fallout 2. But, to be honest, 200 years after nuclear war...there will be organization. It would be silly to think otherwise. 20 years after a nuclear war, there'd be organization. Ask a sociologist - humans group themselves. It's a cultural universal. The format of our groups vary, but the fact that we organize ourselves can't be denied.

Even in Somalia, which is as close to a Fallout-type atmosphere as you can get in 2010, there are myriad tribal groups and a complex system of kinship and rivalries.

A world like Fallout 3, where no one has any real affiliation with anyone else and there's no sense of order whatsoever - is never going to exist.
Bloomer

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas