Post update EW

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:57 pm

Mighty divine hammer falls upon you !

I 'm kinda scared, I think I 'm gonna slowly crawl my way out of this topic and then run as fast as I can :bolt:

If you felt like I was trashing your work then sorry, it wasn't my intention.
This kinda sounds off topic but I think I understand now why you wanted to unify all the ranged weapons into one skill in VB, so player wouldn't have to worry about not having the proper weapon during the game and also could use all weapons equally.

maybe the problem lies into the perks...I don't know what to think anymore, but like this wise ancient chinese proverb says:
"When in doubt, keep playing"

P.S: I could argue about what you said but I just don't see how that could help in the EW debate at this point.
Isabella X

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

J.E Sawyer watches/posts on this board? cool

thanks for the patch, i feel like it has made energy weapons incredible, equal to or greater than guns. You are right about the Plasma Defender being great, imo, I now use that weapon as my mid/short range weapon of choice, mainly because it is quick and is (i think) stronger than the Q-35. Sure it uses 2 SECs a shot, but it's the only weapon i usually use that uses SECs.

Overall i liked this patch and the major energy weapons buff, the only thing i see that needs work on, or at least some discussing among Obsidian, is the ammo consumption of the Tesla Cannon. I get that it is supposed to be a very powerful weapon and all, but i don't think it is as strong as a weapon that would require 40 ECP's. Idk, i was thinking of perhaps 20 ECP's for the regular version and 25 for the unique. Idk, up to you, just a suggestion. Also, i read in the wiki that the Van Graffs were to sell tesla cannons at high levels, but my EW character is 30 and they aren't selling them. They are selling Multiplas Rifles tho.

And the BoS aren't selling anything energy related :P

Overall, the patch was great, imo, keep up the good work d(^o^)
JUan Martinez

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:43 am

The patch makes all my characters hands the color of my previous characters.
Joanne Crump

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I've explained why the F1/F2 approach was flawed several times in the past, but I'll do it again here: F1 and F2 had phased obsolescence designed into their weapon skill system, but the player wasn't let in on it that design goal at all. The player was "supposed" to use Small Guns, then use Big Guns, then use Energy Weapons, but there's not much in the descriptions of those skills that would indicate a) how powerful those weapons are relative to each other b ) where those items are distributed in the world. So if you set off from Vault 13 for the first time thinking that you might find an Energy Weapon somewhere in the first few hours, you're dead wrong. If you made the terrible mistake of tagging Energy Weapons from the get-go on your first playthrough, you'll likely get nothing out of it for a long while. This essentially punishes players for "guessing wrong".

There are a few ways to address this: 1) keep that scaled skill/weapon progression and staged distribution of weapon types, but tell the player about it. This is problematic because it's the only set of skills that works like that in the game and it also limits the player's options rather than opening them up. 2) get rid of the scaled progression and staged distribution and try to make viable energy weapons throughout the course of the game. 2) is what I tried to do for F:NV, but there were a few problems. First, DT is extremely punishing to laser weapons and, unlike shotguns, there was no antidote to the problem prior to the latest patch. DPS and high accuracy could not make up for the dramatic effect of DT on lasers. Now, of course, all energy weapon ammo types (other than flamer fuel) have increasing amounts of DT bypass in addition to increased damage. Second, distribution in the early game was poor prior to the patch. It was very hard to find any decent Energy Weapons and/or ammo. With the patch, Bright Followers all along the early areas and into REPCONN HQ have leveled lists of energy weapons, so you find more ammo and better weapons much earlier. And finally, I didn't make plasma weapons do enough damage and had them consume too much ammo. Their high capacity was not a good trade-off. So now they do a lot of damage, especially the plasma pistol and rifle, and some of them consume less ammo than they used to.

I fully admit that energy weapons were not competitive with guns (with a few exceptions, like the laser RCW, gauss rifle, and plasma caster) before the patch. With the patch, I think they're certainly competitive from a combat perspective, but they are more expensive to maintain. Right out of the gates, a .357 Magnum revolver is doing 26 DAM compared to a plasma pistol's 33 (which is also negating 2 DT by default). That pistol also holds 16 shots and reloads in about second. The revolver holds six shots and is a looping reload. Add OC ammo into the equation and you're doing 41 DAM while negating 5 DT. The .357 Magnum can hold HP, doing 45 DAM, but only if the target has no armor. And you still have the looping reload to contend with. Both are great weapons. I can see someone preferring one over the other, and that is more than good -- that's awesome. But I really don't think one is a piece of junk and the other is awesome in comparison. You can take the Cowboy perk to help improve .357 Magnum revolver/cowboy repeater DAM, but that's at the cost of a perk, and there are obviously good/great EW perks that the player can take as well.

The plasma rifle/cowboy repeater show similar traits. The plasma rifle is doing 47 DAM to the cowboy repeater's 32. The plasma rifle holds 12 shots and reloads in a second. The cowboy repeater holds 7 (11 with mod) with a looping reload. Both have the same OC/HP ammo progression. And yes, you can upgrade your .357 Magnum rounds to JFP, but that costs a perk. You can make Max Charge ammo with just a good skill and enough ammo lying around. The cowboy repeater's certainly more accurate, and it certainly has a faster moving projectile an it's more durable. Those are all great traits, but I don't look at the two weapons and think, "Man, the plasma rifle svcks compared to the cowboy repeater." And if you want incredible accuracy, a high RoF, and can compensate for (or don't have to contend with) DT, that's why the laser rifle exists. You can also fire it 24 times before reloading, and the reload takes a second.

When you get to the mid-tier pistols, you have the .44 Magnum revolver and plasma defender. I don't need to break down their stats. You know where this is going. The plasma defender is a powerful mid-tier pistol. Post-patch, you can find them on Bright Followers in and around REPCONN HQ. It does more DAM than the .44 (while inherently negating 2 DT), holds more shots than the .44, is more accurate than the .44, and fires faster than the .44. This is a weapon that "svcks"? Really?

I'm sure there are still some weapons that need tuning, but without chalking it up to "feel", I don't get how EWs, post-patch, aren't good/competitive with Guns. If you want them to be demonstrably better than Guns across the board, rare, and only found late game -- well yeah, that's not going happen because that was never part of the goal of the design. If you'd like to mod it, that's your choice and totally fine, but my goal is still 2) above.

First of all, I have to say again thanks for taking the time to respond. People have to remember that J.E. Sawyer doesn't have to respond to anything, let alone criticism so I appreciate the willingness to step inside the frying pan for a bit. It's always nice to get insight into game design and the info you dropped was surprising on how players were supposed to go about grabbing weapons. I didn't know the process behind energy weapons was that it was meant to scale from guns up to energy weapons in Fallout 1/2, but you can get a plasma rifle and advanced power armor by going from arroyo straight to navarro if you wanted to.

I always thought energy weapons were the highest single shot weapons, but lacked automatic fire, so that was the trade off, accurate shots vs lots of shots and small selection of weapons due to them being rare, rather than guns->energy in terms of progression as apposed to them being a choice. In New Vegas, the hierarchy for Energy Weapons is still a bit strange, you've got weapons like a Tri-Laser Beam rifle outclassing the Multiplas Rifle, which I always thought it went Laser then Plasma, but it doesn't work like that in New Vegas. You then get guns like the Gatling Laser, which eats through tons of ammo (don't want to imagine how much Max Charge Electron packs is needed to make 200 -10DT rounds for the Gatling Laser), getting outclassed by the Laser RCW in terms of damage. Then there is weapons I have no idea what their purpose is like the Tesla Cannon, 45 Electron Charge Packs per shot, I mean what the fudge is reasoning behind that, let alone the purpose of the gun itself.

I feel the scaling of energy weapons is off in New Vegas, Laser Weapons should be accessible then followed by Plasma Pistols onwards to Pulse. Each gun should do something either better then the previous like Plasma over Laser, or a function like Lasers were weaker, but longer range, plasma was stronger but shorter range. If the Plasma Defender is available so early in the game, where does that leave the regular Plasma Pistol? My suspicion is that you have to incorporate Fallout 3 Lore, and that means their weapons. Trying to add in weapons people remember from Fallout1/2, on top of Fallout 3 version of your weapons is messing up the scaling system. There should no Urban Plasma Rifle, just the P94, no AER9, just the Watts. Too much trouble trying to balance almost double the amount of Energy Weapons, not to mention they're not so rare when everyone has one and they're a dime a dozen.

If you read this great, if not I hope the players enjoyed the late night rambling.
~Sylvia~

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 am

My new post-patch character's weapons are Energy Weapons and Explosives. I believe Explosives were not adjusted by the patch but I'm having fun with them; I'm not sure why everyone was complaining about them so much. Energy Weapons are much deadlier; I love the basic Laser Rifle now. Can't seem to find a scope, but one will show up.
All in all, very satisfying so far.
Dean

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:39 am

hi 5 mr sawyer all i want to ask is will explosives get a patch or fix because they are pathetically weak they blow(literally)a fat man should do more than 260 damage at full conditon.Thank you if you read this ohh you made an ok game a suppose:)
OTTO

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:09 am

Hello Sawyer. The main overriding differences between the plasma pistol and the 357 is of course ammo cost and weight and the number of guns you will tend to find to repair yours with.

1 shot of plasma uses about the same space as all the shots in a 357 and costs the same too. Whereas with the 357 I can afford to blast away merrily I have to be much more careful with the plasma. That greatly imnpacts how the gun gets used and how USEFUL the gun actualy winds up being. This is magnified by the fact the 357 is much more durable and can be made a hell of alot more so.

This is all made more painful by the very simple fact there are no energy pistols with any mods what so ever.
Ash

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Recharger pistol
Attack statistics
dmg/attack: 12
DPS: 60
attacks/sec: 5
# of projectiles: 1
spread: 0
Criticals
crit dmg: 12
crit chance: x 1.2
Ammunition
ammo type: MF Breeder
ammo per shot: 1
ammo capacity: 20
shots/reload: 20
Other
skill: Energy Weapons
strength req.: 2
skill req.: 50
AP: 13
item HP: 300
repair: Recharger pistols
weight: 7
value: $2700

Recharger rifle
Attack statistics
dmg/attack: 9
DPS: 25.2
attacks/sec: 2.8
# of projectiles: 1
spread: 0.02
Criticals
crit dmg: 9
crit chance: x 1.5
Ammunition
ammo type: MF Breeder
ammo per shot: 1
ammo capacity: 7
shots/reload: 7
Other
skill: Energy Weapon
strength req.: 5
skill req.: 0
AP: 19
item HP: 200
repair: Recharger Rifle, Laser Rifle
weight: 15
value: $250

Anyone know why the recharger pistol is better then the recharger rifle ? It would seem to make more sense to be the other way around. Or could this just be something they have yet to get around to fixing?
Shannon Marie Jones

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Winter mane the EW's are always going to cost more in some way ( ammo ), for the simple reason that they're meant to be rarer.
It svcks but as long as the game accomadates ways around this, ( science, perks, weapon / ammo superiority ) it's not to much of a problem imo.

Vexing thoughts, most likely it's to do with the fact that the laser pistol is the start weapon for EW builds.
A recharger rifle has a bonus over the Laser varient because of needing no ammo but requires strength and so can be placed early on.
The guass and RCW are the later replacements.

The pistol however has no real upgrade apart from plasma so most likely the recharger was pushed up to be the next in line for its function.

That said, the regharger pistol has upgraded tech from the rifle it's more of a later advanced mark version to explain way it's placed later on.
At least I think thats the reason, but I could / will be wrong.
Andrew

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:34 am

Hello Sawyer. The main overriding differences between the plasma pistol and the 357 is of course ammo cost and weight and the number of guns you will tend to find to repair yours with.

1 shot of plasma uses about the same space as all the shots in a 357 and costs the same too. Whereas with the 357 I can afford to blast away merrily I have to be much more careful with the plasma. That greatly impacts how the gun gets used and how USEFUL the gun actually winds up being. This is magnified by the fact the 357 is much more durable and can be made a hell of alot more so.

This is all made more painful by the very simple fact there are no energy pistols with any mods what so ever.

The revolver Is slightly more durable, the plasma pistol is durable enough to kill plenty of enemies and is inexpensive to repair. It only costs 200caps which means repairs at the Mojave outpost are cheap. It deals more damage then the .357, per shot[33vs26], DPS and it scores a critical hits more often. The .357 can only fire six shots before it has to reload and as a revolver that's time consuming. The plasma pistol can fire sixteen times before reloading, not having to stop to reload is a great advantage.
Budgie

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:10 pm

The revolver is much more so simply becuase of how many of them you find. durablity isnt just hps on the weapon its availablity of spare parts.

And with cost and heavy ammo I dont mind the cost so much as it IS energy weapons but for an early weapon like this an ammo cost of 1200 caos for 200 shots vs 200 caps for the 357 and the ammo weight of 32 pounds vs 6 is a bit much together.

I think something with ammo costs and ammo weight issues like that should prolly be a 25 or 50 skill item with stats to match and then the defender should be a 75 skill end game pistol with stats boosted again to match that tier. Putting the plasma pistol that low down wasnt such a good idea. Realy to properly use it you realy need strong back and an enemy with loot on it worth about 100 caps. thats 25 skill range or so not 0.
Sarah Evason

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Will weapons receive more balancing with upcoming patches?

I'd appreciate it if you would make a well-reasoned critique of the weapons you still feel are out of balance.

Hey Mr. Sawyer, I have a question - why are the laser pistols and rifles not set to use iron sights? Is the model simply too big for it to work?

Yes, and there wasn't enough time at the end of the project to re-work the models to support them. Sorry.

I didn't know the process behind energy weapons was that it was meant to scale from guns up to energy weapons in Fallout 1/2, but you can get a plasma rifle and advanced power armor by going from arroyo straight to navarro if you wanted to.

Practically speaking, that's only possible by meta-gaming. As I wrote, for the first time you play the game, you're just out of luck.

Then there is weapons I have no idea what their purpose is like the Tesla Cannon, 45 Electron Charge Packs per shot, I mean what the fudge is reasoning behind that, let alone the purpose of the gun itself.

EW ammo prices top out with MFCs (3 caps). ECPs are only 1 cap a piece, bulk is obviously much cheaper, and if you have a decent science skill, you can directly convert ECPs, MFCs, and SECs into each other at their respective cost ratios (1/3/2) with no loss. I.e. ECPs are no more expensive than 5mm and you do boatloads of damage with a single Tesla Cannon shot.

I feel the scaling of energy weapons is off in New Vegas, Laser Weapons should be accessible then followed by Plasma Pistols onwards to Pulse. Each gun should do something either better then the previous like Plasma over Laser, or a function like Lasers were weaker, but longer range, plasma was stronger but shorter range. If the Plasma Defender is available so early in the game, where does that leave the regular Plasma Pistol? My suspicion is that you have to incorporate Fallout 3 Lore, and that means their weapons. Trying to add in weapons people remember from Fallout1/2, on top of Fallout 3 version of your weapons is messing up the scaling system. There should no Urban Plasma Rifle, just the P94, no AER9, just the Watts. Too much trouble trying to balance almost double the amount of Energy Weapons, not to mention they're not so rare when everyone has one and they're a dime a dozen.

Without incorporating F3's weapons, there would have been an extremely small number of EWs for F:NV. Yes, you can get the Plasma Defender at REPCONN if you're above 8th level. Prior to that, the best plasma handgun you can find is the Plasma Pistol. Depending on how you're playing, that can be a significant gulf.

EDIT: The Recharger Rifle is worse than the Recharger Pistol for two reasons: 1) there was no good low-end energy rifle for the start of the game 2) superior technology leads to miniaturization. The Recharger Pistol uses better tech and thus is smaller while being significantly more powerful.
Lucy

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Yes, and there wasn't enough time at the end of the project to re-work the models to support them. Sorry.

No need to apologize, I was just curious since I hadn't run across any other pistol/rifle size weapons that worked that way and wasn't sure if it was just an oversight or intentional.

If I had any comments for Energy Weapons in their current state, it would probably just be that they feel a bit light in the weapon mod department. In particular, there are no mods for any variety of 1-handed Energy Weapons to my knowledge. Well, that and I still feel that the Flamers do not really fit well in that category and would be better suited to Explosives.
Jeff Tingler

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 pm

I think post patch energy weapons are working how they should be. I'm on my second EW playthrought basically just to see what the patch did. It's going a lot better now that the EWs are more in line damage wise with gund, and have dt reducing ammo. Of course they handle differently than guns and they should since they are a different weapon type. And I think its a good change trying to make all the weapon types viable from the beginning as opposed to dumping points into a skill halfway through the game so we can keep our edge in combat. The only thing I would have done was have more weapon mods but I don't have to deal with any constraints and as much as I would like more mods I can't seem to come up with any ideas.

Kudos to Sawyer and the rest of Obsidian you guys made a good game and our actually standing behind it and updating it as you become aware of issues. It's a nice change of pace from the norm of not even attempting to balance a game let alone patch for bugs.
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 am

If I had any comments for Energy Weapons in their current state, it would probably just be that they feel a bit light in the weapon mod department.

True.

Without incorporating F3's weapons, there would have been an extremely small number of EWs for F:NV. Yes, you can get the Plasma Defender at REPCONN if you're above 8th level. Prior to that, the best plasma handgun you can find is the Plasma Pistol. Depending on how you're playing, that can be a significant gulf.

I just got Plasma Defender near Nipton.
Spoiler
on Follower in coyote den

Thanks for all effort put in to them in patch. EWs seems much better and they are bit more available as well. However with exception of laser pistol and recharger rifle they are still not very playable until later game as you will not get enough replacement weapons for repairs. And cost of repairing anything above plasma pistol at Mojave is prohibitive for early player. That EWs generally degrade very fast does not help much as well. So I find myself mostly using guns early on anyway and I will probably do at last until Novac.
EW specialized character is playable early on but it must be pain in the ass. With all those 9/10mm pistols/SMG and cowboy repeaters laying around only very determined player would use EWs (for early game).

But in general I am very satisfied over patch, I think it improved EWs as much as it could for current game settings. My only complain is decent changelog missing.
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

I always thought energy weapons were the highest single shot weapons, but lacked automatic fire, so that was the trade off, accurate shots vs lots of shots and small selection of weapons due to them being rare, rather than guns->energy in terms of progression as apposed to them being a choice. In New Vegas, the hierarchy for Energy Weapons is still a bit strange, you've got weapons like a Tri-Laser Beam rifle outclassing the Multiplas Rifle, which I always thought it went Laser then Plasma, but it doesn't work like that in New Vegas. You then get guns like the Gatling Laser, which eats through tons of ammo (don't want to imagine how much Max Charge Electron packs is needed to make 200 -10DT rounds for the Gatling Laser), getting outclassed by the Laser RCW in terms of damage.

The Gatling has an even higher rate of fire and is a lot more accurate than the minigun, it also has a higher rate of fire than the RCW. A better way to put it is that the RCW is an EW assault rifle/SMG hybrid and the Gatling laser is an EW minigun. Considering how DT works it's not intended as a solution against higher end enemies, but more of a crowd control.

Actually my biggest beef was that there was plenty of choice in regards to weapon function, but it wasn't tiered. Whereas guns has a more natural progression, the way laser behaved versus plasma made the switch between them more a revolver vs semi-automatic pistol thing, meaning that the weapons did not feel tiered.
I liked the fact that laser and plasma felt like to very different weapons between which you could choose. I think Energy Weapons lacked several next tier weapons. The only high tier EW pistol was the unique Pew-Pew and before the gauss rifle, there isn't really a good long range high damage sniper anologue.
Maya Maya

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:52 pm

I think the ash piles and green slurpee goop piles not disappearing bug, would be something that hopefully gets fixed at some point in the future. I do agree the mods are rather lacking for some weapons, and it would be awesome to have Over-Charge rounds do something other than being Max Charge Lite with fewer calories. I say just let it be the inverse of max charge rounds, lower penetration, but higher weapon damage.

Can anyone confirm if the DPS numbers of Energy Weapons like the YCS/186, and the Q-35 are indeed off and not correct, or not working?
Conor Byrne

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:03 am

I'd appreciate it if you would make a well-reasoned critique of the weapons you still feel are out of balance.

The Anti-Materiel have a significant lower rate of fire and heavy compare to Gauss Rifle. I know the AMR at the moment is very "realistic"(in comparison to other guns) but a light weight mod and improve action mod would help.

I would also like to have tritium lined sight on energy weapons.
Mizz.Jayy

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:55 am

The Anti-Materiel have a significant lower rate of fire and heavy compare to Gauss Rifle.

I don't think so, reloading the gauss rifle takes just about as long as bolting the anti-material rifle. Maybe rapid-reload makes the difference. I do know its easier to stay aimed in when using the bolt or lever action rather then reloading.
Juanita Hernandez

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:44 pm

If I remember correctly the anti has a clip, and the gauss has to reload after every shot.
El Goose

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Well the guass rifle isnt as high end as the anti material rifle even the unique guass rifle is one step down from it and the normal one is in the same range as the hunting rifle. Thats one of the big issues with energy weapons the severe lack of weapons means some rather nasty gaps. Combine that with the mod shortage and you get a mess. Still with luck dlc will help fill in the gaps. That holorifle sounds like it fills a gap rather well.
Tamika Jett

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:37 pm

I still think EW ammo weighs too much in HC mode when you consider many weapons take more than one ammo per shot. Pew Pew takes over a pound of ammo per shot which is four times as much as the AM rifle.
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:15 am

I dont mind it weighing that much and costing so much IF it gives a boost to the performance of energy weapons. But id have to see a fairly good boost to think this level of weight and cost were realy balanced.

And it still is rather dumb to have a str 1 req weapon using ammo that weighs as much as a 12 gauge shotgun shell.
I love YOu

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:46 pm

I don't think so, reloading the gauss rifle takes just about as long as bolting the anti-material rifle. Maybe rapid-reload makes the difference. I do know its easier to stay aimed in when using the bolt or lever action rather then reloading.

No Rapid Reload, just solid geck value; reload time for Gauss is same as AMR before taking agility into account.

And no, the bolt pulling have the same aim skew reloading has in NV.
Mark Hepworth

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:11 am

I still think EW ammo weighs too much in HC mode when you consider many weapons take more than one ammo per shot. Pew Pew takes over a pound of ammo per shot which is four times as much as the AM rifle.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pack_Rat is pretty useful for those situations.
Johnny

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas