Bye Bye Pewtie Pie

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 am

Exactly! I have trouble keeping my foot (feet?) out of my mouth on occasion ;)

Brian LeHury

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm

I like your Telvanni way of thinking.

Unfortunately this one dimensional pattern of thought doesn't apply itself very well to the real world.

Being unable to grasp why anyone else's point of view should or let alone even could have any merit does explain why some people seem unable to understand how Pewtie Pie did anything wrong in the first place and people who are unable to make that first step are not going to be able to have either consideration or appreciation just how wrong what Pewtie Pie did actaully was. A category he arguably falls into himself.

They say money doesn't change you... or does it?

Kayla Oatney

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Okay, you disagree. How so?

Mariaa EM.

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 pm

You're talking about empathy..which I'd like to think I have.

That has nothing to do with feeling personally bad about slavery that happened 200 years ago to completely different people that have nothing to do with you.

And they certainly don't have anything to do with me. I'm Thai and Danish. But I suppose in someone's warped way of thinking, even that Danish blood makes me "guilty of slavery" somehow.. because my Dad is white. Even though his family only immigrated here in the 20th century.

But hey, lets all just randomly flaggelate ourselves for things we didn't do!

edit: And to be clear, I'm just talking about whites apparently having to make "reparations" for slavery btw. That isn't even remotely anything like "justice". Pewdiepie, otoh, did is something that happened in the Here and Now with his own words and actions and I think there should be repercussions. But I don't think it needs to go overboard either. Like that dude earlier saying he needed to be jailed. That's overkill.

Isaac Saetern

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 am

PewDiePie isn't just an ordinary person voicing his opinion. He was acting as a political commentator. No harm in that so long as its clearly labelled as comment, but if hes choosing to use his media platform to make political statements he has a responsibility to avoid inflammatory language. Saying something political then claiming it was a joke doesn't negate that responsibility. As far as Disney goes he may have been hired to be "edgy" (whatever that actually means) but he wasn't hired as a political commentator.

Kate Schofield

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Totally agree with this. A person of fame whose in entertainment should just stick to entertaining people cause once you start putting your political ideas in to your act, you'll find out that opens a Pandora's Box and there's nothing in it but ugliness.

matt

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Except like almost every beloved Hollywood actor (especially recently) uses their platform to jam their politics down the throats of their fans.

How many Hollywood actors said if Donald trump gets elected they're moving out of the states, so full of themselves that they figure the threat of them Moving is enough for their fans to vote for their candidate. Their heads are so far up their ass, they figured that their words were enough to sway the country, and then freak out and call for revolution when they don't. And now not one of them has left.

While I do agree with your premise, celebrities should stay out of politics, 90% of them don't. Hollywood and politics have an incistuous relationship. And for most people, they see it as okay until a celebrity has a political opinion that isn't in line with the rest of the Hollywood elite.

They're all about diversity except for diversity of thought, then there is no diversity or tolerance to be had.
Austin England

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 am

I don't have an issue with that because it's a financial matter between him and a sponsor. His sponsor felt that he was making them look bad and they let him go. That's cool. He pushed too far and they pushed back. I get it.

I just have an issue when people try to control what other people say. Like thinking someone should go to jail because someone is offended by what he/she says. That's what I don't like.
Stephani Silva

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:14 pm

If I had been articulate enough I would have said this myself. Just look at Meryl Streep and her recent hogwash.

Have a mind of your own? There's the door, please have it hit you in the back on your way out.

Amiee Kent

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 am

So which of them were making statements on their shows about opposing Trump? Like I said earlier in the thread PewDie Pie is entitled to his opinion as are they, its the use of his supposedly comedy show to air political opinions that caused him problems.

Vahpie

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:01 am

Stephen Colbert has been a HUGE anti-Trump speaker, it's gotten so bad I've pretty much stop watching his show which is sad cause I really wanted to like him but if all he's going to do is bash Trump for no reason I have no choice but to watch something else.

Ross

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 am

I don't think anyone is trying to suggest you should pay reparations to black people because of Slavery.

However you ought to appreciate how Black Americans have been adversely affected by Slavery and how that adverse affect is still impacting American culture today.

At a certain point society, aware that they weren't personally responsible for what happened, said "Hey, you know what... that wasn't right, the impacts are still being adversely felt today and the responsible thing is to do something about it".

What's wrong with making "let's kill Jew jokes"?

I think a guy who was in the business of killing Jews probably said it best at his trial at Nuremberg:

"A thousand years shall pass and the guilt of Germany shall not be erased" - Hans Frank

Some people may personally think "What's the big deal"... after all, even if they were German today they probably had nothing to do with the Holocaust... then they would be possibly as ignorant as Pewtie Pie himself.

Not ignorant in a malicious the sense that they are being mocked for "being" stupid... but rather ignorant in the sense that if they had a fuller appreciation of history they would appreciate why what he did was wrong and the many levels at which it was wrong.

Adam Porter

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 am

Well I wouldn't say hes bashing Trump for no reason. Still are you really saying making jokes at a politician's expense and making anti-semetic remarks are comparable?

Lew.p

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 am

Well both are still bad issues specially if you're suppose to be an entertainer or public idol, political or anti-semetic jokes are taboo topics and is going to offend someone which can lead to career suicide and I think Pewdie Pie is starting to find out about that.

Kevin S

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 am

Having a political opinion about Trump or Clinton is in no way comparable to using your show to promote the idea that Hitler did nothing wrong or that all Jews should be killed, which is what Pewdie Pie is now claiming was just a joke.

Nathan Risch

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:36 am

Jokes like that are in really bad taste and Pewdie Pie should be shunned for making it. You don't do that and think you're popular enough to get away with it, like I said it's career suicide.

Mike Plumley

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:26 am

Except, he isn't making a political statement.

He has expressly stated that the purpose of the inflammatory statement was to highlight the absurdity of the lengths some people will go to for $5. It's supposed to be comedic, due to the absurdity, but if anything else, it's a social and societal statement, and NOT a political one.

Josh Lozier

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 am

When a person who describes himself as an admirer of Hitler and a racist allows statements like that to be made on his show forgive if I'm not convinced by the half-assed excuses he comes up with when the statements backfire on him.

Lauren Graves

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:13 am

A little of topic but I agree with this 100%, can barely even watch the show anymore because that is literally all he talks about on his show now.
Jonathan Egan

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 pm

I don't think anyone is making light of the suffering of certain historical acts. Making "jokes" or absurdist inflammatory remarks and being aware of historical acts of barbarism or genocide, are not mutually exclusive.

There is nothing that precludes us from being able to joke about past horrors whilst simultaneously being able to appreciate, understand and heed the lessons that we should have learned from those events.

If anything, it is ignorant to assume that those making such remarks are blind to the pain that was caused by these events, or that their remarks (if taken out of context) could too cause harm.

Context is everything, and all too often, certain parties will try to remove things from their appropriate context in order to misrepresent someone's words or actions and paint a vividly different picture of them. I would hope that, by this time, we ALL have seen this happen on the internet, and yet it continues to this very day as an effective means to incite a mob or put undue, and frankly immoral, pressures on a party to castigate them via any means attainable.

It's no different to witch-hunting, and yet so many take the moral high ground thinking they're all righteous in their persecution of a person, when in truth, they themselves are acting upon half-truths and twisted words with no real understanding of the motives of those "outing" all of these "terrible people".

Furthermore, there comes a point where historical events can no longer be used as an excuse for someone's misfortunes in life. There are many people of all ethnicities, faiths and backgrounds who both make successes or failures of themselves, and using events from 200+ years ago as a reason why "you" didn't make it, is completely misguided.

That's not to say that racism and bigotry are not alive and well in the world today, because they most certainly are (in some places more than others), but there is a limit to how far anyone can use past events as a reason for their own crimes or errors in life.

^_^

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 pm

So, you believe he is insincere then? Because he has stated that he isn't serious multiple times.

I mean, if that's the case, aren't you being unnecessarily judgemental of a person you don't even know? Maybe you just don't like him? Or maybe you're the one with unresolved issues?

You can't condemn someone based on what has been repeatedly stated to be a series of "jokes", no matter how much they were in exceptionally poor taste or not.

chirsty aggas

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:13 am

You're preaching to the choir, as far as slavery goes. My favorite person of the 20th century is MLK Jr.

That has nothing to do with wanting to force reparations on anyone though. The man himself said he hoped we would not judge others by the color of their skin, but the content of their character. "Their character". Not their grandma's uncle's aunt's mailman's character. ;)

Tarka

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 am

This seems to have devolved into political ideas.

Anna Krzyzanowska

Previous

Return to Othor Games