I quite like Fallout 4, even though it's not Fallout anymore

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:39 pm

removed 'it isn't fallout anymore' it doesn't matter what you think or say it is, they could replace all super mutants with penguins and it would still be fallout because they say that is what it is now. You don't get to say what it is and isn't, they do.

Lynette Wilson

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:33 am

Most of these threads boil down to how somebody feels about the direction of the Fallout series, and if somebody says "it isn't fallout anymore" what they obviously mean is "it doesn't feel like fallout to me", which (assuming they're being honest) is simply a fact.

Responding with something easily paraphrased as: "removed your opinion doesn't matter" is not a proper response (Even though you are correct that random people don't get to define what is and is not a Fallout game).

That said, I actually enjoy FO4 and have almost no reservations about the direction the series is going under Bethesda.

While some things are annoying me about it (Mostly the blatantly console interface translated to PC with barely any adaptation at all) my main gripe with the game is that there isn't a hardcoe difficulty. This makes the game a bit too easy once you figure everything out.

Also the sheer incompetence of my settlers, who when living in a heavily fortified compound with walls, spotlights, turrets, and guard towers, still somehow let raiders steal their supplies and kidnap people...

Ysabelle

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Well, it's by BGS, so it's a spin-off. One that's spun-off so far from the core of the series that if it didn't have a power armour in it, you wouldn't be able to tell it's Fallout.

Taylrea Teodor

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:01 am

Lol, this guy.

Anyway, I'm finding Fallout 4 to be what 3 should've been. It seems Bethesda has finally gotten the hang of what the setting is about. Much of it reminds me of Fallout 2.

Basically it seems as though for the OP Fallout 3's elements = quintessential Fallout, and that couldn't be more wrong (though as someone else pointed out, the Pitt and Point Lookout were 3's highlights).

He got the

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Karma is what makes a fallout game? Not the atmosphere, story, lore, gameplay, looting and inventory management? I didn't know that.
His Bella

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:20 am

I know what you mean,

but the reasoning is flawed.

No game is defined by a feature, it is defined by its developers.

This is Fallout 4 = This is 'Fallout'.

Skrapp Stephens

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:55 am

You cant feel fallout int this game cause Obsidian isnt involved. Remember fallout 3 ? yeah crap. Fallout 3 new vegas was made by obsidian with bethesda and it was great. Now they thought they can pull this off by themselfs and... no they cant :P They made that

simplisticated medicore something inwhich half of features leads to nothing or doesnt work. So i hope fallout 5 will be with obsidian team again :D

Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:13 pm

This is the most Fallout a game has felt to me since Fallout 2. So to me it is indeed Fallout. And stop with the OBSIDIAN DID IT BETTER CRY CRY. I want Obsidian. Well tough luck. Bethesda has had the IP for longer than Interplay did back in the day. Its theirs now, and you have to be ok with them making the games they want with it. And you can either like those games or not, fair enough. Don't mean to be rude, but its getting old fast.

Alexxxxxx

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:01 pm

if you like it then good for you by all means, but you cant tell me that Survival difficulty is hard to beat. I dare to say that normal difficulty in fallout 2 was harder :P

Travis

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:39 am

How exactly does this game remind you of Fallout 2 other than by the name itself?

NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Well, it is the best Borderlands/The Sims mix with Fallout aesthetics i've ever played :teehee:
Justin

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:27 pm

This is how I feel. Karma was so broken in FO3 and NV, and you get loss of karma even when no-one is around. I'd rather have no karma than a broken system.

Fallout 4 is a step up, mostly, but a step down in some areas. Like all Bethesda games, really.

Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 am

Factions, wacky humor and situations, characters/companions, visually (having a vision). The style in general reminds me the most of Fallout 2, and i love Fallout 2. So well that is my take on it. Every game is not the same to every person, we enjoy different aspects in games. Its incredible i know!

Mrs. Patton

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:13 am

Karma was a total waste of time in the earlier games.....good karma for killing raider, bad karma for looting raider's stuff.

I'm glad it was removed since it added nothing to the game for me and I always ended up with good karma, despite stealing everything in sight from all those poor wastelanders.

Helen Quill

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:20 pm

There was very little "whacky" humour in F2. Very, very little. And it was controversial even between the developers, along with talking deathclaws, ghosts... even some of easter eggs in random encounters. Characters and companions had more depth. Factions? You mean the fact that there are factions to begin with?

Every game is the same for every person, it's just that different people value different things or even play the game differently.

Silvia Gil

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:45 am

Karma was a dumb system.

It forces you to play in an ethical system which you may not agree with.

Going around and slaughtering dozens of 'evil' characters would make you a good person. Personally, I think a character who could do that would be a psychopath.

The faction system was a big improvement as characters judged you based on how you related to them. Mixing that with karma meant you could get more complexity: people are glad you're on their side, but can disagree with your ethics.

Personally, I'd rather there be no karma system. Or at least not one you can see or monitor yourself, otherwise it just becomes a points game: blew up Megaton? Here, give this guy tons of water and all is forgiven.

What worked about the faction system was its permanency: you couldn't go back. So while you could get people to tolerate you after doing something bad, it doesn't mean the original bad actions are forgotten.

Love iz not

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 am

Yep. I sure do. It's been what 7, 8 years since Bethesda first took the Fallout name and squeezed just about all the soul out of it, re-interpreted the tone and setting, tossed canon in a ditch and gave us Elder Scrolls:Apocolypse! Not sure why anybody would go into number 4 thinking it'd be any different.

THAT SAID THOUGH...

Somehow it does feel more like a Fallout game than their first go-round (Fallout 3, duh) and certainly feels a whole lot less "derpy" all around so far. So, at least, hey...good job on improving in that area.

FITTAS

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:17 pm

I started to play Fallout NV because I was told it is a very good game. I loved it and I was afraid how Bethesda will deal with that in their Fallout 4, because I had the feeling nothing can be done better.

But I have to say after 1/3 of the game, that their decision to make it different is a good one. Because even if there are not similar stories like in Fallout NV, I don't miss them and I'm not bored. I really can enjoy this game.

I'm sorry, but I cannot see what it should makes it looks like Skyrim - except it is their style of building world. What makes you think it is like Skyrim?

I know about other games that it could be compared to - like Farcry of Dragon Age Inquisition (sorry about that) where you can find similar mechanics and it is combined with mods that was made by fans for Fallout NV - again - where did you get Skyrim? A lot of features are taken from the most successful mods. So actually it seems like Bethesda did favor to their fan base? Fallout franchise was never like Call of Duty - so why do you say that players will buy that rather? I was told it was always meant to be post-apocalyptic RPG even in f1,2.

And about those new features: it has inner logic - it is something what you could do if you would have your family and a kid before and just left vault.

But if it would be just that, I wouldn't like the game. But the whole world, how it is build is incredible cool, fascinating and interesting. All the critics seem missing that point... Also if they say the story is shallow - the whole Fallout world is telling a story, is evolving and growing with you. From all those games that tried to do the same, I think Fallout made it really interesting for me.

The only problem I can see is if you don't like building, family, etc. And you expected that sarcastic, not really serious tone of Fallout NV. So you can say you miss that. but still it is well made in what it was intended.

And a lot of players criticise the companies with franchises that they just copy past something. This game is about different approach to Fallout world, they tried something new, But still for a lot of players it is a reason for hate. What was wrong again was support for keyboards.

I don't really want to defend the game - but I just wish the reviews would be more fair.

Chelsea Head

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 pm

FO4 is more Fallout to me than New Vegas was. Running around a nuclear waste;amd in a rapidly-uncharging suit of rusty power armour fighting raiders and scavenging through rubble.. beats being a cowboy and fighting Roman soldiers anyday. That's more "Night at the museum" than Mad Max lmao
Janine Rose

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm

An option yes would be nice, but then again, just like with the Fast Travel debates, you can do it yourself.

The way it was implemented in New Vegas while nice, I just found it tedious and not really immersive. Oh, I need to eat, just go into inventory and click on a food and water and "oh I am not hungry no more".

We can do this now. If we are hungry and didn't eat, no running/sprinting allowed. If tired go into sneak mode and can't move any faster than that.

This way we can play how we think it should be played. But yes, an option would be nice, something Bethesda doesn't really give us, even though we ask for it all the time. Options.

As for "karma is a dumb system" that was said a few times by different people, way to go and insult the person. Just because you don't like it you don't have to belittle the person or people who do like it. Why is his opinion wrong? There is no right or wrong answer, just opinions. We should never be belittling or make someone else's opinion less worthy.

Also as for Fallout 4 is not a real Fallout game, what is next, the Pre quels are not a real Star Wars movie? :P

Alexandra walker

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:57 pm

The voiced dialogue is my only major complaint actually, otherwise this game has been a blast so far.

Olga Xx

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 pm

ah no, the prequels were made by the original director, so they are "real" Star Wars movies. Then it got sold to another company and they made this silly "Force Awakens" thing. gah, give us more crappy prequels, cos they are "real", we refuse to go and watch a fantastic new movie.. :P
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:49 am

What about Jet?A massive story that helped form fallout 2,its a pre war thing know.Do you really felt this game is Fallout as Fallout 2?Do you even know what fallout is all about?

Jose ordaz

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:42 am

Wellllllllllll...

GPMG

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Fallout 4 is only Fallout by name, not by natural progression.

Eve(G)

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion