Rating (T, or M?)

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:48 am

I think that the rating will be argumentative ;)

T = "what? It's not mature enough! Where's the gore, the drugs, the boob physics! This is terrible!, but it's going to reach the teenies who have th emost disposable income, so it'll be a best seller!"

M="What? that's crap! Now my mom won't buy it for me! This svcks! This is great, real boob physics and blood dripping off the decapitated head!"

Where do you live?

An M-Rating wont stop parents around here from buying it for their 7 year olds.
Tamara Primo

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:29 am

Where do you live?

An M-Rating wont stop parents around here from buying it for their 7 year olds.

My responses are based upon what I've seen appear in previous threads, not reality :P
Judy Lynch

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:12 pm

M, not because I want gore or anything, but I don't want them to have to hold back to avoid it. I don't want gore unless I can disable it. I just don't want them holding back. If it's T that's fine for me, just as long as they don't hold back for it.
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am

Skyrim will more than likely be M. I expect Skyrim will be much more graphic than Oblivion because of the engine, and because that's the direction Bethesda is taking TES.
Amanda Furtado

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 am

There's also the little issue of taking into account the ratings systems and practices of particular countries like Australia and Germany, where there is a hell of a ton more scrutiny towards the higher-rating games as compared to the US. Hell, I don't think you can even release Mature-equivilent games in Australia, since there was a gigantic cluster[censored] with Left 4 Dead 2 way back when.
rebecca moody

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:41 pm

There's also the little issue of taking into account the ratings systems and practices of particular countries like Australia and Germany, where there is a hell of a ton more scrutiny towards the higher-rating games as compared to the US. Hell, I don't think you can even release Mature-equivilent games in Australia, since there was a gigantic cluster[censored] with Left 4 Dead 2 way back when.

Don't forget Australia also banned Mass Effect 1 for having partial nudity six scenes.
Isabel Ruiz

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:25 am

Judging from the fact that you have to be 17+ to join the Facebook page, I am going to assume it will be M.

link to the FB page?
Andrea Pratt

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:17 pm

If they "gave up on ratings", then they wouldn't be going for M or any other rating. They'd just make whatever game they want and let ESRB sort the ratings out, which I actually hope is what they're doing. Granted, if Skyrim turns out to be everything I want it to be, it will be rated M, I'm sure. But I don't want them to go out of their way to make a game that is likely to get rated M just so they can have a big "M" on the box, I want them to try to make the best game they can, I just happen to feel that adding some content that might increase the game's rating would allow it to be better.

As to which rating it WILL get, that's impossible to say. Because we know very little about the game, if we knew more, maybe we could guess the rating by the content of the game, but right now, we just don't have that kind of information. But I think it's safe to rule out the game being rated anything less than T, at least, and I can't imagine the game getting an AO rating, so really, the only options are T, and M. Which it gets, I think, will depend mostly on the amount of blood and gore in the game, since I doubt will see nudity and any sixual content will probably be implied, like in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I hardly expect to see much swearing in the game.

I meant they gave up aiming for a lower rating, they are just going to go all out, which will probably end up as a M.
Justin

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:34 am

The last one was mature and my mom bought it anyway so yeah I think that I will get it mature so I want it mature more blood and realism. I think it would be better mature it would be more real anyway.
leni

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:47 am

M. If they hold it back trying to get it a T rating, it just won't be the same, I just want Bethesda to go all out with this, and make it Game of the Year, because The Elder Scrolls is just that good. :biggrin:
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:31 pm

honestly what does it matter

t limits gore and violence so it will most likely be mature and it will still sell a ton even if it were teen
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:19 pm

... I can't imagine the game getting an AO rating...

It won't be AO because MS won't let an AO game be published on the Xbox.

I'd be surprised if it had less gore than Fallout 3 did. So my vote is M.
kyle pinchen

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:26 pm

I say Rated T for some certain reasons

1. Makes it easier for more people to play it. I want to actually discuss it with more people. Besides, makes it easier for me to play too :P
2. I don't understand why we have to have all the sixual stuff in games, it makes it hard for a lot of people to play and it's just not needed. If I wanted to get laid or look at hotties I can do so without playing Skyrim. Keep that crap out of games please (looking at you GTA and RDR)
3. Morrowind was a great game and it's rated T. What is wrong with Skyrim going down the same path? (I don't know if you guys remember, but if there was no nvde patch Oblivion would have been T as well. :whistling: )
4. Lots of Teen games are very Mature. They just aren't excessive. That's what I think is the difference between M and T. M is the same stuff as T, just way more excessive. As in, if a T games has swearing. A Mature game has even more swearing. Why would I want that?

Just IMHO :shrug:
Kristian Perez

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:04 pm

M.
Davorah Katz

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:49 pm

A for advlt...
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:54 am

XD

I totally forgot Oblivion was upped to a M rating. The box I have in front of me says T for teen.
Phillip Brunyee

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Judging from the fact that you have to be 17+ to join the Facebook page, I am going to assume it will be M.

This about sums it up

... It's not the "Skyrim" page, it's the "Elder Scrolls" page. It does not mean the game will be "M" just because you need to be 17... It means that since at least one game was rated M, the content can be considered mature... For instance, if I made a series of children's games, and then all of the sudden made the next game in the series some game that puts you in the role of a serial killer who mutilates bodies and then I made a Facebook page for the series, I'd probably restrict the age even though most of the series is targeted towards kids.
Alan Cutler

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am

It needs to be M. And not a "on the T edge" like Oblivion was. I want a much darker game, that warrants an M rating.
sam

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:22 am

Hoping it's M so they have little restriction with what they can put in.
Lilit Ager

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am

I hope it just stays M like always. Lack of gore doesn't bother me, but a scary dungeon should be a terrifying experience instead of happy happy sunshine :snoring:
Lovingly

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:51 am

Video game ratings aren't something I usually pay attention too since I don't have or want kids, but I'm hoping that it's M so they have less restrictions and more room for creativity.
Nancy RIP

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:01 am

If it turns out to be anything less than mature I will kill people.
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:48 pm

I say Rated T for some certain reasons

1. Makes it easier for more people to play it. I want to actually discuss it with more people. Besides, makes it easier for me to play too :P
2. I don't understand why we have to have all the sixual stuff in games, it makes it hard for a lot of people to play and it's just not needed. If I wanted to get laid or look at hotties I can do so without playing Skyrim. Keep that crap out of games please (looking at you GTA and RDR)
3. Morrowind was a great game and it's rated T. What is wrong with Skyrim going down the same path? (I don't know if you guys remember, but if there was no nvde patch Oblivion would have been T as well. :whistling: )
4. Lots of Teen games are very Mature. They just aren't excessive. That's what I think is the difference between M and T. M is the same stuff as T, just way more excessive. As in, if a T games has swearing. A Mature game has even more swearing. Why would I want that?

Just IMHO :shrug:

1.) I don't see how it makes it easier. It adds more content, making the game more enjoyable for mature people, while some people under 17 will be like "YAY BOOBIES!!". Not saying people over 17 can't be like that, but it's less prevalent. I assume you're under 17 or you wouldn't be hoping for a T rating.
2.) The only thing sixual in Oblivion was the Lusty Argonian Maid.
3.) Morrowing is outdated ESRB-wise. Look at the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It was rated PG and made in 1975. By today's standards it would easily be PG-13 or less likely, R.
4.) The more realistic the game (besides the dragons and stuff), the higher the rating will be. I don't mean realism as in Oblivion gates can pop up, etc, but more of the fact that in real life, even in medieval times people swore plenty. There was and still is six. A hack and slash RPG without blood is no fun and unrealistic.
Zach Hunter

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:44 am

I think they will just make the game an let the ERSB call it what it is. I doubt they made much of the content worrying about it overly much. If something seemed appropriate, I'm betting they put it in. So, I guess we won't know until the review.
Chavala

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:04 pm

I'd prefer M if only to avoid any potential restrictions and nonsense.
Juliet

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim