Do we really need Companions

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 pm

Funny how the OP mentions how they would be most annoying for archers and mages, when in fact they would be the most beneficial.

As an archer you don't want enemies getting too close to you, you need somebody to take their attention while you take them down from afar. As a mage you tend to have low health and little armor so you need a meat-shield to help you out.
Companions were actually always part of TES in the form of summons, now they're more permanent and flexible.
Queen of Spades

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Depends entirely on how poor the AI is going to be. New engine so Ill hope its better, but I wont hold my breath.

Even then Id still want some to be ingame. New Vegas companions like Rose having commentary on so many situations and areas adds a lot to environments. If you find them annoying then dont use them. Simple.
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 am

I like companions only if they have backstory, a lot of dialogue and romance like in the games of Bioware. If they are just "yes sir" henchmen with no personality and no rich dialogue, I don't need them, I prefer to do the killing alone.

^Pretty much this.
I want friends and partners, not subordinates and robots. I want them to play a role. I want them to be someone, not a rumors enciclopedia with legs.
Krystal Wilson

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:21 pm

As has been said before, they're already in the game and -- more importantly -- they're optional. It'll probably be like Oblivion, where a few quests require companions, but these are isolated. I like using companions, but with options! I don't like the idea of being forced to use a specific companion, as I might not like their 'personality' or they might not mesh well with my character concept, but it's a sandbox game where the development goal is to let you be whatever you want. I don't think we need to worry about that, luckily. :foodndrink:
Dorian Cozens

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 am

What is with this concept that companions are being FORCED onto the player? They were in Oblivion and you were never forced to take anyone with you, same will go for Skyrim. They've only been mentioned exclusively because they're being developed a lot more than in Oblivion, but nothing has changed. No one is forcing you to take companions along. The option is there.
Emerald Dreams

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 6:14 am

They worked alright in Fallout 3. I hardly ever killed them there.
Shae Munro

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 1:29 am

Well I guess I agree with most of you that as long as it is optional it shouldn't bother you if it is in or not...
As for it being well done I assume that will be directly linked to how well they do hostile/enemy AI as I assume the two will be nearly identical, and I guess we are all in the same boat when hoping for a well done enemy AI, no?
Kaley X

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 3:28 am

Yeah, me and ma' adoring fan went everywhere together. First of all, I liked the company, the backrubs, and when he would shine my boots. Plus, the enemy would chase him so I wouldn't lose health. He did die countless times though... sad face
Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:02 pm

You shouldn't need a companion, but there should be something about them that make you want them. I suggest hired mercaneries could be an option.
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 12:36 am

I don't think I'd like a human companion anyway, I haven't played any Fallout but I usually avoid that kind of thing in this kind of game. An animal companion would be fun, though. A human would take away from the voyeuristic immersion that's always been a big part of TES.
MARLON JOHNSON

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 3:01 am

take off friendly fire in the midst of combat. or just use a little skill. i had the same stuff in fallout... i never once shot my companions just be careful. and i mean fallout had guns. and they never shot me. turn off their freindly fire and watch ur own arrows and spells...its really not as hard as u make it out to be. besides.... YOU DONT HAVE TO BRING THEM. I almost never bring my companions man. the one thing i wish is that your companions can't die. I hated that. they should pass out until the battles over like they do on Mass Effect. Because the companions like dog meat and fawkes you would really like and then boom they r dead.
Amy Cooper

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 10:06 am

they hold your stuff, thats enough reason for me
Baylea Isaacs

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 4:40 am

After playing dragpn age 2 I changed my oppinion about companions...their lots of fun, nut Im still not sure if their the right way in skyrim
Prohibited

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I Just want a doggeh. (That will wake up after battle if it dies) :goodjob:
Amber Ably

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:44 pm

I like companions, I just hope they're smarter than in Fallout and have deeper personalities
Gwen

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

I can say that companions are one of my most favorite things in Fallout New Vegas and it's because of their personal stories, their skills and I can use a mod to have more than two. Their voice acting is perfect and I hope Skyrim has companions with great voice actors who do it as well. If someone doesn't want to use companions, they can just not recruit companions...easy peasy. :)
:obliviongate:
Emily Jones

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 am

eh companions always irritate me. They just seem to get in the way, and then if you hired them, they will die, and there goes some hard earned money, and if you become attached to them, then you will keep going back and loading the game over again until they won't die (yes i have done that....). They are a pain, but if you don't have to use them, then I am not going to use them. If I have to use them, then I am probably going to kill them myself so they won't get in the way and waste my valuable resources.
Manny(BAKE)

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 am

I'm glad they are adding a lot of companions. I don't need all of they do have a lot of depth just give me a couple and the test can be meat shields. It's nice having the option to go out on an adventure with someone else if you want at any time. If not, then just don't recruit them.
Solina971

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Companions? I couldn't possibly have use for them, my characters are a Fire Mage that casts AoEs for the most part, and a Khajiit assassin that would like to keep his existence a secret.

This is assuming, of course, we'll still have similar combat A.I. like previous games, and we won't to the degree of previous games, but I fear they will still get in the way. The Dark Brotherhood Murder was great, my assassin could ask him to sneak with my character, however, that's all I could get him to do, either stay outta sight or not. The Mage Guild companion was great as well, an extra spell hand in the fights were awesome, however, he was pretty weak and served as a distraction. This is how I'd imagine the traits "awesome" companions would have:

• Better Combat A.I.
  • Include the "Companion Wheel" from FONV, or some form of it.
  • Have a more detailed background.
  • Possibility of the option to romance.
  • Rate of following speed.
  • Option to scout ahead.
  • Archer and mages easily could avoid hitting the player, however, in melee range is when problems arise. Force the NPC Companion to strafe around the enemy.
  • In addition to the above, include more options with the different combat styles, like rushing, guerilla warfare, staying behind.
  • Tell companion to choose different targets than yours.
  • Give companions the order to "not attack until cue is given". This would have been a great asset to the Dark Brotherhood Murderer.

Companions will show up in Skyrim, I'm hoping they show up to a degree that gives them a reason to be recruited. Not too powerful, not too weak, flexible orders at your command. I don't want to hire some NPC that svcks, then find out there are many, many, many more of these fleshbags taking up space that could have been for something more useful. No words could describe the rage, possibly "unfathomable" would be the closest. Companions are going to be a part of Skyrim, they aren't a requirement to play, I want them to be awesome if they are going to be there. If they are awesome, I'll always have a companion at my side, carrying my stuff and killing enemies in perfect synergy....except dragons, that's my thing, they'll be back in town getting me some mead to celebrate with afterwards.
KU Fint

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 5:14 am

1. Their optional
2. People like having company
3. They can be useful in harder difficulties.
4. Add more story to the game (Explore background, do quests for them, etc.)
Becky Cox

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 pm

A gun wielding companion shoots you. - Not that I've noticed

Hahaha, didn't play the first two Fallout games, I take it?

Anyways, while I can't complain about the inclusion of companions, I don't like them and won't use them.
The spirit of TES, to me, is one of solitary adventuring.
CHangohh BOyy

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 pm

No companions! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0#t=0m27s

In all seriousness though, no, I don't think companions are necessary. Companions furthering the story seems like a Bioware thing. TES was enjoyable because it was your story. In Fallout they for combat they were either useless (ED-E) or ridiculously overpowered (Boone).
Taylrea Teodor

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 4:42 am

Hahaha, didn't play the first two Fallout games, I take it?

Anyways, while I can't complain about the inclusion of companions, I don't like them and won't use them.
The spirit of TES, to me, is one of solitary adventuring.

I dont remember getting shot in the first two Fallout games, nor do i remember getting shot in Beth's Fallout 3 or NV.
Taylor Thompson

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 10:21 am

Is there a need for companions?.....yes.
I don't and probably won't use companions,but others might like to,it's an option. Last time i checked, options were good :thumbsup:
Liii BLATES

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:20 pm

I love companions but only when they are done in the style of Bioware RPGs. Bethesda companions always seem too brain dead feel like NPCs rather than real people.
Sharra Llenos

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim