Sithis

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm inclined to think the Dark Brotherhood's idea of Sithis is a bunch of nonsense, and the altar to Sithis in the Vile Lair add-on just seems absurd.

However, I'm not so sure it's clearcut whether Sithis is sentient. I'm not sure where I saw it, but I could have sworn I read one creation myth in which Sithis was the soul of Padhomay, and Lorkhan was the sould of Sithis. Also, hasn't Lorkhan been described, like Sithis, as the sum of all limitation?
Neil

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 am

I'm inclined to think the Dark Brotherhood's idea of Sithis is a bunch of nonsense, and the altar to Sithis in the Vile Lair add-on just seems absurd.

I think it's pretty interesting actually as it depicts Lorkhan as the grim reaper. In a sense Sithis brought mortality back to the Aurbis though Lorkhan so considering Lorkhan the embodiment of Sithis isn't too strange.

However, I'm not so sure it's clearcut whether Sithis is sentient. I'm not sure where I saw it, but I could have sworn I read one creation myth in which Sithis was the soul of Padhomay, and Lorkhan was the sould of Sithis. Also, hasn't Lorkhan been described, like Sithis, as the sum of all limitation?

You seem to have been reading Vehk's teachings.

so, Nirn and everything else that exists is the middle part of a vin-diagram, the circles being Sithis and Anuiel. So we can't look at niether sithis nor anuiel as entities, they are existences in thier own, escentialy universes, one completly full of matter, and thus unchanging, one complely full of energy, and thus in constant chaos. When the infinite energy hit the infinite matter it plunged it into chaos.

anyway thanks for the info, im glad to say atleast i have my own idea of exactly what sithis is.

Sorta like that. Although I think it's Magicka and Void for either.
Tyrone Haywood

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Sithis was only added in Oblivion. And I consider Oblivion non-canon. ;)
Naughty not Nice

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Incorrect. Sithis has been around for a while, at least since MW.
Heather Kush

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 am

Na, Sithis was before Oblivion. Sithis was the void before, and only the DB worship Sithis as some kind of satanist diety.

Unfortunately Oblivion is canon, but hopefully TES V retcons most of it.
Lisha Boo

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:01 am

Wrong.http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Redguard:Characters#Dram
Bellismydesi

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Ummm...Arena last I heard.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Hence the winky.

Sithis was only mentioned in the one Morrowind book, and suddenly finding the DB venerating him as some kind of God in Ob was a bit jarring.
Nauty

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Wow, this was news to me.
Kit Marsden

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am

Wow, this was news to me.

It is also a reason for his (Dram) expulsion from the Morag Tong----- :P I didnt think the Morag Tong worshiped Sithis. ;)
carley moss

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Sithis was only mentioned in the one Morrowind book, and suddenly finding the DB venerating him as some kind of God in Ob was a bit jarring.

Sithis was mentioned in several books. But, Sithis as god of angsty death throes did make people say what the hell...even going as far as calling him Mephala even though books state they're two different entities.

But, I'm with prow here and say it's a doofus version for Lorkhan.
Markie Mark

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Didn't the Dark Brotherhood contact/guildmaster in Daggerfall say something along the lines of "may MEPHALA bless your blade" ?
Mizz.Jayy

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Didn't the Dark Brotherhood contact/guildmaster in Daggerfall say something along the lines of "may MEPHALA bless your blade" ?

Most likely. The DB of Daggerfall were certainly daedra worshippers and summoners. I don't recall whether their patron was any particular daedra, but there are plenty, Mephala included, who would fit the DB philosophy (at least the DB philosophy pre-Oblivion).
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Sithis was mentioned in several books. But, Sithis as god of angsty death throes did make people say what the hell...even going as far as calling him Mephala even though books state they're two different entities.

If this was a hint to my previous statement, I feel like I need to explain myself. I did not say that void-Sithis and Mephala was the same being, I only meant that what the Cyrodiil Dark Brotherhood believe is a "god" called Sithis, is in fact Mephala in a clever disguise. Therefore, whenever someone "prays" to a shrine of "Sithis", they are really adressing Mephala.
Fam Mughal

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:58 am

If this was a hint to my previous statement, I feel like I need to explain myself. I did not say that void-Sithis and Mephala was the same being, I only meant that what the Cyrodiil Dark Brotherhood believe is a "god" called Sithis, is in fact Mephala in a clever disguise. Therefore, whenever someone "prays" to a shrine of "Sithis", they are really adressing Mephala.

Actually, it's not a hint to you since you're not the only person who thought it up. I've heard of it before you. Sorry, didn't believe it then, didn't believe it now. Mephala and Sithis are two distinct beings in several books. Mephala's not hiding. You're attempting to reconcile Sithis's place. I'm not advocating Sithis since it's not cool, but I think this idea of Mephala hiding is crap as well.
Pat RiMsey

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I'd say that the Night Mother is Mephala and what they consider Sithis Lorkhan. That way the whole unholy marriage thing the Darkbrotherhood mentions makes some sense.
Crystal Clear

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm

I don't remember exactly if Sithis was mentioned by name in Arena, but Seth was a major god being worshipped in the Black Marsh and High Rock and we all know Seth is Sithis.
Claire Jackson

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Actually, it's not a hint to you since you're not the only person who thought it up. I've heard of it before you. Sorry, didn't believe it then, didn't believe it now. Mephala and Sithis are two distinct beings in several books. Mephala's not hiding. You're attempting to reconcile Sithis's place. I'm not advocating Sithis since it's not cool, but I think this idea of Mephala hiding is crap as well.

Well, she is the Prince whose sphere is "obscured to mortals", which with a little word-twisting easily could be read as "things obscured to mortals" :D. But yeah, you're right, what I'm doing is trying to make some sense out of why Sithis answers prayers, because the working altar of Sithis is, whether people like it or not, canon, since it was in the game.
KIng James

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 pm

We can't actualy think of sithis as a god of anything, the way i think of sithis is as a universe of pure energy, perhaps magicka, with a huge amount of power to both change and destroy, but not create. People think of sithis as more of a dark entity for thet particular reason, but in the monomyth, which i assume is acurate sithis is the biggest drivig force in the creation of nirn, or the entire universe of TES, as he started the stasis of Anuiel into action.

Sithis is nothing. THE nothing. Not existing, yet existing. try not to think of Sithis as a god or a person. Think of Sithis as an idea.

after doing my reseach on sithis, it has become very apperent that he is very far from nothing, i would like to put that idea to rest, as sithis is almost always described as chaos, and infinite change, and the only thing like that is pure energy, so sithis is nothing material yes, and he is absolutly nothing permanent, but he is just as much existant as light of fire, well as far as TES goes atleast lol
Ruben Bernal

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:37 pm

But, I'm with prow here and say it's a doofus version for Lorkhan.

I'll fix this one day. Pinky swear.
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:31 am

I don't remember exactly if Sithis was mentioned by name in Arena, but Seth was a major god being worshipped in the Black Marsh and High Rock and we all know Seth is Sithis.

So that's not a typo of Seht...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sethian
Catharine Krupinski

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:45 pm

So that's not a typo of Seht...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sethian
Thats why I was making fun of Azura in the other thread, based on Jubilees.
Darrell Fawcett

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:43 am

As long as if he ever gets a voice, that voice is Tim Curry in the style of LEGEND, I don't care what Sithis is.
Of course I'm kidding, but the voice, if they ever decide to go that far against the ideals, better not just be the guy who does the dog bark sound effects.

But deeper in, I'm truly now wondering if/how Sithis will affect TES V. >_>
Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:10 pm

I am of the opinion that the Dark Brotherhood secretly still serve Mephala, whether or not they are aware of it. The Morag Tong certainly follow her teachings, and their history is strongly tied to that of the Brotherhood. I don't believe Sithis actually has any sort of awareness. It is an anti-force, not a deity. If something speaks to the Listeners through the Lucky old Lady, it's not Sithis, but Mephala.
sally R

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm

I am of the opinion that the Dark Brotherhood secretly still serve Mephala, whether or not they are aware of it. The Morag Tong certainly follow her teachings, and their history is strongly tied to that of the Brotherhood. I don't believe Sithis actually has any sort of awareness. It is an anti-force, not a deity. If something speaks to the Listeners through the Lucky old Lady, it's not Sithis, but Mephala.

How do you explain the Wrath of Sithis?
Luis Reyma

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion