Sithis

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:54 am

There is alot of mention of him in oblivion, i don't know about in any of the other games, since i only played morrowind a littlewhile, and the first to were kinda before my time lol. But i am really curious about what sithis is exactly, as no one in game seems to know what he is beyond the fact that when they kill someone it makes sithis stronger. Alot of people say he is not actualy a thing so much as a force, like from primal evil of somthing, or if he is in some esscnece an actual plane, an afterlife or somting like that. It is clear that sithis has will and power from the dark brotherhodo quests but i want to know everthing i can about him. Thank you
Sherry Speakman

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Sithis is nothing. THE nothing. Not existing, yet existing. try not to think of Sithis as a god or a person. Think of Sithis as an idea.

You have Anu for the Aedra.

Padomay for the Daedra.

Lorkhan for the Mortal Realm.

And Sithis for the Nothing.

he is and yet he is not.
Madison Poo

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:02 pm

hm, that makes more sense, but how does killing people make it stronger, is it just the fact that by killing things you are taking away from existance and giving to nothingness, casting concousness into the void, so we look at sithis, erm the number 0, it is nothing but it also exists....tis still kind of confusing lol
Mélida Brunet

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:12 pm

hm, that makes more sense, but how does killing people make it stronger, is it just the fact that by killing things you are taking away from existance and giving to nothingness, casting concousness into the void, so we look at sithis, erm the number 0, it is nothing but it also exists....tis still kind of confusing lol

Because they're all full of bull [censored]. A lot of bull [censored].

The Dark Brotherhood aren't the ones you want to go to for information.
Khamaji Taylor

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Because they're all full of bull [censored]. A lot of bull [censored].

The Dark Brotherhood aren't the ones who want to go to for information.

Yep... DB is full of [censored].
m Gardner

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:26 pm

The Dark Brotherhood is a pseudo-cult run by a dead shewitch.
Cedric Pearson

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm

huh? you mean the dark brotherhood? Meaning to imply that they don't know what the hell thier doing, and in effect the closest people to sithis other than the night mother have no idea what he really is or does? So who do you go to for information? I guess it is possible the whole damn thing was just made up by the nightmother but still...
Eileen Collinson

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:20 pm

huh? you mean the dark brotherhood? Meaning to imply that they don't know what the hell thier doing, and in effect the closest people to sithis other than the night mother have no idea what he really is or does?

Compare the Nightmother to a cult leader. She leads the DB. Sithis is a figment of her warped perception of reality.

Her flock, her "dark brotherhood" and their congregation of bloodlust are nothing more than fanciful lies of the Nightmother.
Shelby Huffman

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:22 am

http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/brothers_of_darkness.shtml
Elena Alina

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 am

SITHIS IS THE SUM OF ALL LIMITATIONS. There's YOUR answer.
Captian Caveman

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Honestly, all of Oblivion has a 20% chance of being retconned out of existance if they decide to get the franchise back on track. That game contradicted nearly everything previously established.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tamriel:Dark_Brotherhood
Austin England

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Especially:
"The Thieves Guild is a myth."

Seriously, wtf?
+++CAZZY

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 am

huh? you mean the dark brotherhood? Meaning to imply that they don't know what the hell thier doing, and in effect the closest people to sithis other than the night mother have no idea what he really is or does? So who do you go to for information? I guess it is possible the whole damn thing was just made up by the nightmother but still...

You go to the elves. You go to TIL. You go type in Sithis. You read the Monomyth. You read Sithis. You read Source of Chaos. You go do research. And you're no. 1232456464351351 to type in what is Sithis.

Oh and paw, you're proud to be excellent at apologizing. Do something about it.
Dragonz Dancer

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:48 pm

-
TWITTER.COM

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Oh and paw, you're proud to be excellent at apologizing. Do something about it.

Naw, this time Bethesda should do the apologizing.

Damn, how's that for melodrama?
BaNK.RoLL

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

I believe that the "Sithis" the DB worships, as well as their "Night Mother", are nothing else than different manifestations of the Daedra Prince Mephala. I don't know if you know it or not, but the DB are seceders of another organisation of murderers known as the Morag Tong (You'll probably run into them while playing Morrowind, if you havn't already) that also worshipped Mephala. I see no reason why a Daedra Prince would let go of any followers willingly, without trying to get them back.
David John Hunter

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Here is what Sithis is to me.

Imagine yourself at the end of existence. All you see is plain white, or black, whichever you prefer.

Imagine that the universe is one big sheet of paper. Its that essay you need to turn in at the end of the week or you will fail for the semester.

The sheet of paper, the "nothing" on that paper. The nothing is Sithis.

As Knight put it, Sithis is the sum of all limitations. The blankness of the sheet of paper is Sithis, the limitations of the paper. But what can be placed on that paper is limitless.

Ever been all alone and felt something staring at you, but turned to see nothing there? You know nothing is there.... but you also know the nothing is watching you. That is Sithis.

"Stare at the abyss for too long.... and it stares right back at you"
Nichola Haynes

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:54 am

I like to think of Sithis as an idea, a way of life, more than an actual deity. The more someone kills in the name of Sithis the stronger the idea gets; due to the amount of people it effects. If the DB continues to kill in the name of Sithis more people will recognize, fear, and respect the people that follow this idea; thus making the idea more powerful for the sole reason that it has influenced an increasingly growing population. Much in the same way as democracy did in Europe.

That's just my take on it though.
Horse gal smithe

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:00 pm

After reading up on Sithis, it seems that the concept/god/entity or whatever you want to refer to it as is the closest thing TES has to a notion of a Satan-entity.
koumba

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

After reading up on Sithis, it seems that the concept/god/entity or whatever you want to refer to it as is the closest thing TES has to a notion of a Satan-entity.

Except that Sithis is not sentient and thus cannot be considered "evil".
Kaley X

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 am

I don't know. The Satan entity feels more like Lorkhan/Alduin. Most peoples see one or the other as the Satan entity. We just know more than they do.

The Daedra are the other group I can see as Satan entities. They don't have the ability to create themselves, so they change and the manipulate and they destroy. Many Christian stories of Satan line up will with a certain Daedra. Faust = Clavicus Vile. Destruction of everything = Mehrunes Dagon. Manipulation = Azura ... so on and so forth.

Sithis is nothing, however, and that may be the scariest thing of all.
CYCO JO-NATE

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

Except that Sithis is not sentient and thus cannot be considered "evil".

I'm a bit of a newbie to TES, but unless I read it wrong, the book 'Sithis' states that Sithis created Lorkhan, and that Lorkhan was meant to infiltrate the Aedric pantheon and in turn seed the world with the cliche 'Pandora's Box' variety of woes, fears, and ills.
Sammie LM

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:49 pm

I'm a bit of a newbie to TES, but unless I read it wrong, the book 'Sithis' states that Sithis created Lorkhan, and that Lorkhan was meant to infiltrate the Aedric pantheon and in turn seed the world with the cliche 'Pandora's Box' variety of woes, fears, and ills.

Read it with the Monomyth. Cuz, you don't get it. And seems other people here are confusing themselves.
Nicholas C

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 am

Sithis is half of the pair of forces who's interplay created the world. As such Sithis doesn't act because all that we can perceive as Sithis actions are in interplay with Anu. It's only for convenience that Sithis gets personified.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because it's written down somewhere, it doesn't make it the absolute truth. It's only a view point from somebody, in the case of "Sithis" that would probebly be the Dunmer priest, guessing by the reference to Vivecs Sermons.

Anyway
http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/monomyth.shtml.
James Baldwin

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:23 am

so, Nirn and everything else that exists is the middle part of a vin-diagram, the circles being Sithis and Anuiel. So we can't look at niether sithis nor anuiel as entities, they are existences in thier own, escentialy universes, one completly full of matter, and thus unchanging, one complely full of energy, and thus in constant chaos. When the infinite energy hit the infinite matter it plunged it into chaos.

anyway thanks for the info, im glad to say atleast i have my own idea of exactly what sithis is.
Stay-C

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion