Sithis

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 am

How do you explain the Wrath of Sithis?

Because it is hard to summon ghosts? Really anyone could do that, especially a dead witch that somehow still gives orders.
..xX Vin Xx..

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Because it is hard to summon ghosts? Really anyone could do that, especially a dead witch that somehow still gives orders.

The fact that Bethesda didn't create unique models for any of the story-driven unique things sort of makes it difficult to say if it actually was a ghost or not. Vagueness only works when you accompany it with a text description, but Bethesda tries to get away with it thinking that it's something obvious.
Penny Wills

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:27 am

The fact that Bethesda didn't create unique models for any of the story-driven unique things sort of makes it difficult to say if it actually was a ghost or not. Vagueness only works when you accompany it with a text description, but Bethesda tries to get away with it thinking that it's something obvious.

The oficial game guide even suggests it might be a hoax to "keep members in line."
Stu Clarke

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 pm

The oficial game guide even suggests it might be a hoax to "keep members in line."

That makes sense. If you got some brother whose blowing you off, making something and telling them that their patron is pissed at him would work to keep the trouble maker in-line
Robert Jackson

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:00 am

Sithis is in my skin, these wounds they will not heal.
Ownie Zuliana

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Sithis... Sith... is... The Dark Side of the Force. o_o
Sunny Under

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 pm

I am of the opinion that the Dark Brotherhood secretly still serve Mephala, whether or not they are aware of it. The Morag Tong certainly follow her teachings, and their history is strongly tied to that of the Brotherhood. I don't believe Sithis actually has any sort of awareness. It is an anti-force, not a deity. If something speaks to the Listeners through the Lucky old Lady, it's not Sithis, but Mephala.

It is easily possible that Mephala is still in charge of the DB, or that the night mother herself is a manifestation of Mephala, it is certainly not out of charecter for Mephala, who seems to greatly enjoy screwing with people. But the fact is that sithis could easily have some sort of awareness, in alot of myths and legends the world it's self is considered a living sentient creature. We could say that the conciousness of sithis is so complex and difficult it is out of our scope of understanding. But think about this, if you leave a big enough rock with the right stuff on it in the right place conciousness happens on it's own. Sithis could be the collective conciousness of an entire universe of pure force.
Speaking of such, we can no call sithis an anti force, like i have said before to many people assume that sithis is a bad thing, even if it is not sentient, it is some evil force. But the truth is Sithis is the Orginal Force I mean if sithis was some anti force what would the original force be, we would only have one option and that's anuiel, and anuil is the embodyment of stasis, and the oppossite of chaos, meaning that he could contain no energy at all beacue energy causes change, and within anuiel it is quite clear nothing ever changes. So for any one who did not entierly understand the monomyth, in the begining there were only two things Anuiel, the embodyment of stasis, and Sithis the embodyment of change, there was no good, no evil, no happy no sad, no is, no is not just change and stasis, and everthing happened when sithis changed anuiel, and that place is nirn.

But deeper in, I'm truly now wondering if/how Sithis will affect TES V. >_>

well, we know TES V is gunna be big, and the games have gotten into progressivly bigger stuff, i think mabe that in TES we may get down to the wire, and get to know the secrets Nirn is made of. I think those big two original forces may play a boh part in the story, but who knows hehe, it's gunna be a few years before we see TES V anyways.
Rik Douglas

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:14 am

I find it interesting that people here have no problem at all rationalising the Night Mother as an emanation of Mephala, but don't seem to have even considered that Mephala herself is an emanation of Sithis (which doesn't require Sithis to be sentient in any way, incidentally).

A prayer to 'Sithis' would presumably be intercepted by whichever emanation of Sithis (i.e. Daedra Prince) was closest (in a metaphysical sense) to the supplicant at the time. A Dark Brotherhood member, his soul strongly attuned to murder, would therefore have any prayers to 'Sithis' intercepted by Mephala. If Mephala actually responded, the supplicant would obviously believe it was Sithis answering him, and in a sense he'd be right.
Stace

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 am

Sithis is the existance of non-existance, the chaos of death and destruction and the infinate void. It spawned existanced in order to consume it all again, along with those souls killed in its name or killed in passion. Sithis is sentinent and powerful enough to prod events in order to satisfy its hunger, and is definately a seperate entity than any known Daedra and would consume any of those, effortlessly. But for this Sithis is not an evil presence, though it is easy to view as such.
Nicole Kraus

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Sithis is the existance of non-existance, the chaos of death and destruction and the infinate void. It spawned existanced in order to consume it all again, along with those souls killed in its name or killed in passion. Sithis is sentinent and powerful enough to prod events in order to satisfy its hunger, and is definately a seperate entity than any known Daedra and would consume any of those, effortlessly. But for this Sithis is not an evil presence, though it is easy to view as such.

Death and destruction are not non-existance. Sithis was their before anything else, and is not sentient. Unless you through out everything we know about metaphysics and Tamrielic religion except what the DB believe.
Lucky Boy

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 pm

I find it interesting that people here have no problem at all rationalising the Night Mother as an emanation of Mephala, but don't seem to have even considered that Mephala herself is an emanation of Sithis (which doesn't require Sithis to be sentient in any way, incidentally).

A prayer to 'Sithis' would presumably be intercepted by whichever emanation of Sithis (i.e. Daedra Prince) was closest (in a metaphysical sense) to the supplicant at the time. A Dark Brotherhood member, his soul strongly attuned to murder, would therefore have any prayers to 'Sithis' intercepted by Mephala. If Mephala actually responded, the supplicant would obviously believe it was Sithis answering him, and in a sense he'd be right.

Yes, but if people went around claiming to serve the Godhead you would just call them pests.
Schel[Anne]FTL

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:23 pm

MK, you promised to fix this, right?
Laura

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Have a Monomyth.

http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/monomyth.shtml
Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Death and destruction are not non-existance. Sithis was their before anything else, and is not sentient. Unless you through out everything we know about metaphysics and Tamrielic religion except what the DB believe.

Death is the non-existance of life, destruction the non-existance of creation. But in any case I think you are thinking too small. You assume because that Sithis is worshiped that it must neccesarily be a God. This is most definantly not the case, Sithis simply theexistance of non-existance.... everything springs from this and eventually returns to it. Hope that makes more sense.
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Death is the non-existance of life, destruction the non-existance of creation. But in any case I think you are thinking too small. You assume because that Sithis is worshiped that it must neccesarily be a God. This is most definantly not the case, Sithis simply theexistance of non-existance.... everything springs from this and eventually returns to it. Hope that makes more sense.

It makes perfect sense. But not in Elder Scrolls.

Existance does not spring from void, existence battles with void. And they are so similar as to be easily confused.

You're thinking too... Harry Potter?
electro_fantics

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:55 am

It makes perfect sense. But not in Elder Scrolls.

Existance does not spring from void, existence battles with void. And they are so similar as to be easily confused.

You're thinking too... Harry Potter?

Oh God no, not Harry Potter... that would mean that I was in tune with (at best) a forth rate hack. In any case this particular lore is sinching proof that creation myths are needlessly complex. Can't things simply 'be'?
Charity Hughes

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Oh God no, not Harry Potter... that would mean that I was in tune with (at best) a forth rate hack. In any case this particular lore is sinching proof that creation myths are needlessly complex. Can't things simply 'be'?

"Even gods dislike the absolute, because it stinks of something greater than themselves."
Eliza Potter

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:28 am

"Even gods dislike the absolute, because it stinks of something greater than themselves."

That's why the Sithis ceased to be. The Et'ada broke the glorious nothing of the Auribus and created an imbalance before balance itself was even necessary.
sara OMAR

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 am

Complexity shouldn't put you off once you remember that none of them are neccesarily true. There are far too many to be documented, and its the similarities that are simple.
Isabella X

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 pm

Something must be something to be sentient Thought is the embodiment of something. Thus, nothing cannot be sentient.

That's why the Sithis ceased to be. The Et'ada broke the glorious nothing of the Auribus and created an imbalance before balance itself was even necessary.

It still exists, it always will. There was (and always will be) Anu/Padomay and Sithis. Sithis is nothing and Anu-Padomay is something. Its like the universe. All matter and energy always existed and always will, and the void has always existed and always will. The only difference is that in TES, creation is not finite like in our world. In TES, both existence and non-existence are infinite.
Trey Johnson

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:56 pm

There is existance in death. It's the Dreamsleeve. There is existance in destruction, for it renews. Sithis is nothing. It is not creation or destruction, because both are symbols of something. Sithis is nothing. It does not care for death or destruction, because they symbolise something. Sithis is nothing. The Dark Brotherhood think they worship a god of death, but Sithis is not that. For Sithis is nothing. It is the void. It is the vaccuum. It is nothing.
Jack

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:14 pm

All Tamrielic religions begin the same. Man or mer, things begin with the dualism of Anu and His Other. These twin forces go by many names: Anu-Padomay, Anuiel-Sithis, Ak-El, Satak-Akel, Is-Is Not. Anuiel is the Everlasting Ineffable Light, Sithis is the Corrupting Inexpressible Action. In the middle is the Gray Maybe ('Nirn' in the Ehlnofex).

I'd suggest, Anuiel is noun, Sithis is verb.
Philip Lyon

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 pm

In the beginning there was only void, a vast nothingness. This is Sithis, a state of nothingness and constant mutation. The Aldmer called the void "Anu." In fact, Anu and Padomay (Is - Is Not) are part of the void. The interplay of Anu and Padomay created the Aurbis. It is the Gray Center between Is and Is Not of Anu and Padomay. It contains the realms of Aetherius and Oblivion, as well as others in less structured forms. The Aldmer see the Aurbis as Anuiel, the Soul of Anu the Void.

Jeremy Kenney

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:29 pm

After reading up on Sithis, it seems that the concept/god/entity or whatever you want to refer to it as is the closest thing TES has to a notion of a Satan-entity.

I'd have to say that the Aedra *and* the Daedra are more like Satan.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm

You might notice the internal contradiction at "The Aldmer called the void "Anu" and the correction that neither Anu or Sithis are the void but rather that "Anu and Padomay (Is - Is Not) are part of the void.".

If you've read the Monomyth as quoted above you'll see that Sithis and Padomay as well as Anu and Anui-El (the counterpart to Sithis in Heart of the World) are different names for the two opposing forces.

The article is currently being rewritten in full and this ambiguity is being addressed. Not by me btw, that would defeat the purpose of rewriting it.
Ryan Lutz

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion