Skyrim - Should Fast Travel Be Permitted?

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 am

uh... it says i dont have permission to vote in this poll... what the hell?

Refresh an try again.
Andy durkan

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:24 am

There are two fast travel methods I'd like to see added on top of whatever they will have normally. One was the fast travel system from Redguard, where giving an offering at a shrine would have the god turn you into a bird so you could fly to the next shrine. The second is having giants throw you. Since there are giants in Skyrim, I'd like to be able to pay them to throw you as far as they can. You cast slowfall at some point to avoid death.

Dark Messiah had some great animations for when the cyclops threw you across the room, I think Bethesda can do that at a larger scale.

Can you link me a video to the cyclops one?

and I think the way DA:O used fast travel was nice. Granted, you couldn't walk around from city to city but you were interrupted on your path by bandits and such along the way.
celebrity

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:33 pm

I hate Morrowind's system. It made things far too tedious for me. I would prefer either Arena's, Daggerfall's, or Oblivion's style.
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:20 am

I want Morrowind's system. Far more immersive. And if we can't have that, please make it so we have to at least find a city/location before we can fast travel to it.
Kevan Olson

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Resounding yes have fast travel. Many of us gamers are no longer young adolesents who have all the time in the world to play video games. When I pick up the game and only have a few hours to play I would like to get into the game right off the bat and not always have to run for 30minutes just to get to the objective to start the quest. That being said, I do support only being able to fast travel to places where you have been before. I think that is a good compromise that has been used in many of bethesda's games. Also, if you are truely against all fast travel, then as many have said you have the option not to use it.
Lifee Mccaslin

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:05 am

I don't want fast travel, but I know new generation gamers wouldn't be able to handle it, so it will be in there.

As long as their is an option to turn it off, I have no complaints.
Josh Sabatini

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm all for more actual travel options within the world, but there shouldn't be any restrictions on fast travel.

What there should be is restrictions on designing quests with fast travel in mind.

An NPC in city X shouldn't give you a quest that requires you to go halfway around the world to fetch an item/exterminate a monster, etc. Local quests should be local.

You shouldn't be gettting side quests that require you to spend more time traveling than actually completing the quest's objectives (should you opt not to use fast travel), due to the devs factoring fast travel into their design philosophy.
Milad Hajipour

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:31 pm

I liked Morrowind's system. In Oblivion I would just take my horse instead of fast travel just so I could see the amazing world.
It would be nice if you could choose between Fast travel and travel services when you create a character.
Amanda savory

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 pm

My preference would be for Bethesda to return the the fast travel system from Morrowind, but properly expand it to cover all cities/towns/villages, but don't have the FT system cover dungeons/caves/ruins. The FT system in MW had an in-game cost of money vs safety. It made the player carefully look at things, whether they could afford the Septims for the travel, or whether they thought they it would be cheaper to just buy supplies and try to survive the walk.
What is also needed, are Mark and Recall spells that can handle two or more locations. That change would make it feasible to clean out a dungeon and get all of the treasure back to the nearest trader in something under a week game time. But this change would not be the no cost go everywhere FT of Oblivion either. The cost here is Magicka and the skill to cast the spells, and the spells do NOT go everywhere.
It was the go anywhere that is marked on your map, for no REAL cost, except a guesstimate of walked travel time, that made the Oblivion FT system feel so broken to MW players.

Jenifur Charne
Amiee Kent

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Here's what I think. After char gen and when you exit the... Prison... You should get a pop screen come up asking whiter you wan hardcoe or not, and then get a pop up asking whether you want fast travel or not. Only fast travel permitted is that of carraiges or snow striders; etc.
Tinkerbells

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 pm

No Fast Travel as done in Oblivion.

Give me Mark/recall, teleportation spells/scrolls/system and a morrowind-like transport system to major settlements.
patricia kris

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:39 pm

I want a mix of both. There is nothing wrong with Fast Travel, use it if you want to or not. There is no reason to prevent those who want to use it. However, a more RPG approach would be to have ways to move around on "public transportation" and to pay for it. When you add horses to the mix, and I'm assuming they will be back, than you have all the travel options open to you and you can choose what you want.
matt white

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 am

Can you link me a video to the cyclops one?

and I think the way DA:O used fast travel was nice. Granted, you couldn't walk around from city to city but you were interrupted on your path by bandits and such along the way.
The cyclops throws him at the three minute mark.
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/4507
james reed

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:02 pm

You should be able to have both. Carriages and caravans would solve the problem for the fast-travel haters, and would also add to the immersion and the illusion of a living breathing world.

But for the people who would rather fast travel once you found a place once just put the option on the map.
Ilona Neumann

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 pm

In Morrowind, I thought that the transportation was expertly done. You'd go to a city, if it was an inland city you could use a silt strider service to realisticly travel to other cities, if in a coastal city you had ship ports who could also transport you, and then you could use Mage guild services that would teleport you to other cities with a mage guild. And if that wern't enough, you also had the Mark/Recall and Divine/Almsivi Intervention scrolls/spells/potions that you could use anywhere to get out of a bind quick (except Dagoth Ur's chamber). When I first played Oblivion, the fact that you could simply click on an icon on your map and you would instantly travel there just didn't seem appealing to me, as i'm more of a realism player. What are your thoughts?

I dont have anything more to say. Your words are exactly my thoughts.
Rodney C

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 pm

yah i really dont have the time to be travellin for ten mins then traveling back
glot

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:58 pm

No and I'll tell you the reason why. When you are forced to walk around and actually travel to places, you get to see so much more of the game. Auto travel, if you can avoid using it, really gets you into the game. Pushing a button and magically appearing in a new city...just loses you, I think. I'm sure Beth will leave it in for Skyrim, but I wish it was out.
Alexx Peace

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Resounding yes have fast travel. Many of us gamers are no longer young adolesents who have all the time in the world to play video games. When I pick up the game and only have a few hours to play I would like to get into the game right off the bat and not always have to run for 30minutes just to get to the objective to start the quest. That being said, I do support only being able to fast travel to places where you have been before. I think that is a good compromise that has been used in many of bethesda's games. Also, if you are truely against all fast travel, then as many have said you have the option not to use it.
i only can play all day on da weekends so thats not true but i agree keep fast travel
Jessie

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 pm

I usually prefer Oblivions style of Fast Travel with the cities not all unlocked at the beginning but I'll play under either system. I like my Warp Point System idea in theory as the best idea for Fast Travel but the same problems with Morrowinds system arises with the Warp Point System you still have to walk to certain places and not everybody has 20 minutes to do that.
biiibi

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:25 am

I'm all for options. With Oblivion, I first played a lot with fast travel, then got bored. I used mods to have transportation. The first thing I do with a new char is Console: enablefast 0, then tmm 0. Option is the key to everyone's taste... then they have to implement some immersive transport anyway.
DarkGypsy

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:18 am

The "If you don′t like it don′t use it" is a stupid argument. You have to think about the fact that when they develop the game with fast travel they do it with fast travel in mind, I would not be surprised if Oblivion had turned out a little different if there had not been the fast travel option, not only in terms of landscape but in terms of other things like spells and other means of traveling too.

If you don′t like mushroom & pineapple pizza just take them off, wait did the flavor from the mushrooms and the pineapples leak into the bread and the cheese as the pizza was baking ? It tastes different from a normal margarita ? Too bad.

At least this is how I see it, and I don′t want fast travel.

Edit: To clarify, if they designed the entire game without fast travel in mind, and then implemented it last after the game had been designed, then I would be happy and I think those that want fast travel would be happy too, so in fact that is what I′d like to see, just scrapping fast travel may be selfish but I think this would be a nice middle way.
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:46 pm

There's something to be said for the immersion factor of ignoring fast travel (and I understand that there are some people who aren't quite iron-willed enough to simply never use it), but at the same time that doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. I'd say you have the option to enable Oblivion-style fast travel at the beginning of a new game.

And it's a valid point that the game should be designed with the assumption that people won't use Oblivion-style fast travel. Nobody's going to be annoyed by things being too close to each other.
Lil Miss

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:29 pm

I voted yes for fast-travel. BUT do I want Oblivions crappy and lazy implementation of fast-travel? Hell no.

It needs to drastically be revised in my opinion. In Todd Howards words during the development of Morrowind "Your journey is an adventure. You don't just decide "I wanna be across the world". It should be an adventure."

To me that means make the travel options interesting, not just a boring point and click. After all I buy the game to play it, not to have it simulate me playing it.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:27 pm

You know, if I were 18 again... single, no kids, no pets, no full time job, staying up til 4am if I felt like it, I'd say ditch fast travel. Since I'm a 30-something, married, employed, with a 21 month daughter, two-dogs, I need fast travel or I'd never finish the game.
Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 am

You know, if I were 18 again... single, no kids, no pets, no full time job, staying up til 4am if I felt like it, I'd say ditch fast travel. Since I'm a 30-something, married, employed, with a 21 month daughter, two-dogs, I need fast travel or I'd never finish the game.

You have 5 years until the next Elder Scrolls; that's all the time in the world to finish the game. ;)

How come everything has to be rushed nowadays. I blame society and the world we live in!! :P

I'm 35, employed, with a hamster called General Piepmuis the 4th and I stay up till 4am every single night. And I'd love to see travel options similar to Morrowind (especially Mark/Recall) :celebration:
Paula Ramos

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim