Skyrim - Should Fast Travel Be Permitted?

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Let people choose in the beginning of the playthrough if they want to enable or disable fast travel. It's that simple.

Personally, I really do not want fast travel, but I understand others do, so that's why people should be able to choose when they start a playhrough.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:11 am

The fast travel argument is probably the most pointless argument you can have about the Elder Scrolls. If you don't like fast travel, then DON'T USE IT!!! Simple as that... But it needs to be kept in the game for the people who like it.
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:32 pm

The fast travel argument is probably the most pointless argument you can have about the Elder Scrolls. If you don't like fast travel, then DON'T USE IT!!! Simple as that... But it needs to be kept in the game for the people who like it.

No it′s not that simple, I bet you didn′t even bother to read my argument, how about reading the entire thread before posting that it′s a void topic to discuss ?
Anna Watts

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:39 am

Mix of both:

Boats and Caravans that you can pay to transport you would be nice, like Morrowind's boats and Silt Triders.

I don't want Fast Travel as we know it from Oblivion, though. That's god-awful.
JD bernal

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 am

There is no fast travel in Just Cuase 2 and that has a huge game world. You can travel relatively quickly and its fun.
Lory Da Costa

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 am

There is no fast travel in Just Cuase 2 and that has a huge game world. You can travel relatively quickly and its fun.

But Just Cause has Cars which the closest thing to a car in Skyrim will be a Horse.
Fluffer

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:35 am

Like I said in the last thread - yes, for the sake of mod building and testing, please keep fast travel

By all means add other transportation methods such as were in Morrowind but I couldn't imagine testing mods without it
alyssa ALYSSA

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm

I believe that there should be a hardcoe mode

In hardcoe mode, it should be required that players find transport via mage guild teleports, (recall spells - bring em back guys), a transport such as horse and carriage which an npc operates for a fee or by travelling the landscape manually (on my trusty steed)

On non hardcoe mode, fast travel from any outdoor place to any discovered place should be available, and on start of the game, only the "starter town" should already be discovered for travelling. making the use of trusty steeds a nice little perk to new places.

>> Achievement for x amount of played time on hardcoe mode for a single character (because not every hardcoe gamer is a main quest fiend)
Heather M

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:25 pm

OB's fast travel system worked perfectly for me. as does the travel in the fallout games. i like it.
MW's travel system was nicely done. but still, i would rather get right to where i wanna go(as long as ive already been there). instead of having to find a mode of transport.
meg knight

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Mix of both or something more immersive like MW was, but fasttravel doesn't need to go. No one is forced to use it.
Lillian Cawfield

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Someone never made it that far, because it DOES have a Fast Travel system. I used it just yesterday.

But I think, Yes. But it should have a cost, after all, Magically appearing places should cost some Magicka, right?
Kyra

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:59 am

I voted 'yes' just to allow for an option. I'd not use it.

Fast travel could come at a price? Or was that what Morrowind just did?
Jamie Moysey

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:57 pm

I voted 'yes' just to allow for an option. I'd not use it.

Fast travel could come at a price? Or was that what Morrowind just did?

Daggerfall did it better, in my opinion.
Claire

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:31 pm

yes, yes, yes. its a single player game. Don't want it- don't use it.
BEl J

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Daggerfall did it better, in my opinion.
I agree, because it factored travel method, inn costs, and time was actually a factor in quests.
Brian LeHury

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 am

You know, if I were 18 again... single, no kids, no pets, no full time job, staying up til 4am if I felt like it, I'd say ditch fast travel. Since I'm a 30-something, married, employed, with a 21 month daughter, two-dogs, I need fast travel or I'd never finish the game.

"finish"?.... "the game"?....

finish the game... whats that?

I've never heard of this "finish the game".
Matt Bee

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:29 pm

I agree, because it factored travel method, inn costs, and time was actually a factor in quests.

It's also got the style of convenience I like, and journeys really felt like planned journeys in Daggerfall, although I don't know if I should contribute that to the scale of the gameworld or not. Either way, I loved the options, and the convenience,... and buying ships... :D

...and going into debt, depositing money in a bank, having local reputations and consequences for skipping out on a loan, and buying houses, and gaining new actual benefits by rising through a faction's ranks, and holidays, and all that extra stuff that I absolutely loved about the game, and I can tie it to the fast-travel through the gameworld's scope and scale. If only hand-crafted detail could be paired with such a magnificently immersive gameworld...
Alexis Estrada

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:30 pm

I think Fast Travel works well in the Fallout games that have come out. But I would settle for only fast traveling to cities and outposts and nothing else, as long as they are common enough for it not to be a huge hassle. I think Fallout games also did right with the frequency of settlements. I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about Skyrim, it will likely be their best First Person RPG yet. They have done some amazing stuff in the past few years.
ashleigh bryden

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Honestly, I think it should be in, I know hard liner role players dont want it in period, but not all of us roleplay that intensely. Why should someone have to endure obnoxious long distance travel because one group of people says 'nope!' ?

Anywho, I like Fast Travel as it is, exterior cells only, and only if no threats are near.
Adrian Morales

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 am

It's hard to go into extreme detail on what it should do because part of it depends on the type of map size and terrain we get. Part of why many felt Oblivion's was awkward despite the similarities to Daggerfall's click-the-map style was that Daggerfall was so huge, it was absolutely necessary to have a system that convenient. In Oblivion it could hardly be considered vital, and compounded with how free and easy it was, it wandered into superfluous, like giving every starting character a ridiculously overpowered sword. It just doesn't need to be there. Convenience is fine, but I don't want to be smothered in bubble wrap every time I go outside to play.

I'd prefer a bigger map in Skyrim, and would expect one at the very least for the sake of competing with other, larger open-world games that have been coming out. I won't go into detail on my own system, but I'd like to see some combination of the past systems. Similar to Morrowind's (but more as a part of the world instead of so player-oriented), for safety and speed in going between major areas, but not free. Clicking the map would be done to simulate walking, but would be much less safe and fast (as far as in-game time, anyway). The farther you try to go into unknown territory, the greater the odds of being lost, randomly getting dumped between points A and B, and unable to fast-travel again until you find a road or other landmark to let you know where you are. It could be quite interesting getting lost, if the map is big enough. Traveling this way wouldn't cost money, but there may be chances of injury from the landscape that cost you healing supplies, or attacks that end the travel. If you have no supplies, you don't get the easy way back, you have to walk. You'd have more than enough mobility and wouldn't have to suffer with spending an hour jogging back and forth between locations, but wouldn't have the safety-padding free ride, either.
Judy Lynch

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:20 pm

depends on the size of the map
x_JeNnY_x

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:48 am

I'm just hoping for a Flying Mount of some kind. Give us a dragon to ride or something, Otherwise make fast travel restricted by only allowing you to travel to shrines,citys or other areas that mages/gods might teleport you.
Lavender Brown

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:00 am

Morrowind system was perfect
Latino HeaT

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:53 am

Fast travel in Oblivion made sense because the randomly-generated-landscape was far too thoroughly boring to walk through all the time. Pleas don't do that to us again. Morrowind's amount of fast travel was perfect. Between Mark, Recall, Divine and Almsivi Intervention, Silt/River-Striders, Mage-guild Guides and the Propylon Indeces your ability to get around increased as the game went on but you still had to actually TRAVEL sometimes. To get to the Ghostgate Shrine for example, you'd have to really stock up make the hard journey (I'm talking low-level characters of course).
Lynne Hinton

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:09 am

I really like what Rhekarid suggested, but in all likliness it probably won't happen. I hope Morrowind's system is installed, but that's pretty unlikely. I loved the feeling of travelling into a new town, scoping out the fast travel spots and looking around the town a bit. There were a lot of little settlements that if were not included in fast travel in Morrowind, I probably wouldn't have gotten to see. I'd be fine with Oblivion's system just because I have so little time to play, but I found Morrowind's to be a good mix between ease of access and kept immersion.
Eduardo Rosas

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim