Skyrim - Should Fast Travel Be Permitted?

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:42 pm

In Morrowind, I thought that the transportation was expertly done. You'd go to a city, if it was an inland city you could use a silt strider service to realisticly travel to other cities, if in a coastal city you had ship ports who could also transport you, and then you could use Mage guild services that would teleport you to other cities with a mage guild. And if that wern't enough, you also had the Mark/Recall and Divine/Almsivi Intervention scrolls/spells/potions that you could use anywhere to get out of a bind quick (except Dagoth Ur's chamber). When I first played Oblivion, the fact that you could simply click on an icon on your map and you would instantly travel there just didn't seem appealing to me, as i'm more of a realism player. What are your thoughts?
Cheryl Rice

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:07 pm

A resounding 'No'.
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Really, it depends on the size of the map imo.

It's not like anyone forces you to use the fast travel either. I rarely use it in Oblivion.
Robert Jackson

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:29 pm

In reality i dont want to have to be forced to pay (money/time) to travel. Mainly because of exams/work.

But lore wise and generally i think silt striders and boats are better. It makes more sense.
Rudy Paint fingers

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Yea why aren't you adding "Give the option"
if you don't want it, don't use it... It's a really stupid thing to ask... IF you are addicted to it, then I'm sure someone else would make a mod disabling it...
Ross Zombie

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 pm

It should be an option. "Permitted?" I don't think it's right for people to dictate to others how to play a game. An option to disable it is reasonable though.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:34 am

Really, it depends on the size of the map imo.

It's not like anyone forces you to use the fast travel either. I rarely use it in Oblivion.

This. Fast Travel or not, it will really depend on how large the actual province is.
victoria johnstone

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:27 pm

yes it should be allowed.

its an option after all. im totally against others selfishly forcing their own views of what a game should b, and how it should be played, upon other people.
Tanika O'Connell

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Well only fast travel i would allow in it, if there would be some caravans in the each towns and you could buy a trip to another town what would serve as a fast travel. It would make the world bit more "dynamic" and alive. And ofcourse it would allow some nice quests possibilities too. Like clearing out some goblin cave near some road so the caravan could go between the towns that were before prevented by the goblin raids. Or the caravan prize could be higher when goblins would be in the cave as the caravans would need to go some longer path to get safely in to the other town.
Lynne Hinton

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:43 am

I want Morrowind's travel system.
Chad Holloway

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:04 am

Morrowind transportation system was perfect. It was one of the things which shouldn't have been changed in Oblivion. I hope we will get a similar system in TESV.
MARLON JOHNSON

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Fast travel should be permitted, but I want also more immersive system like one used in morrrowind, maybe also add an option in hardcoe mode to disable fast travel, that way all sides would be happy i think.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:44 pm

It should be an option.
In Oblivion it wasn't an option, because there were no trasportation services.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Fast travel should be permitted, but I want also more immersive system like one used in morrrowind, maybe also add an option in hardcoe mode to disable fast travel, that way all sides would be happy i think.

I agree, a "hardcoe mode" would be interesting. Hell, if they wanted to appease the rpers they could make it just like New Vegas and add the need to eat,drink,sleep to the hardcoe version as well. Reminds me of the NOM mod for Morrowind.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 am

No fast travel, no sale.
Ymani Hood

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 am

I suggest something like those flying ships in WoW(in the water obviously). Maybe with no map-screen-load. Just watched the scenery without having to ride a horse for miles upon miles.
Lizbeth Ruiz

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I did a mix of both because it should be like morrowind. I do not want it to be like oblivion a bit more transportation options with different pricess. I want a remake of Morrowind for game 6 :)
TRIsha FEnnesse

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:13 am

I want Morrowind's travel system.

Miragel Ginza

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Bethesda? You make a beautiful world? Then I want to travel in it.....real time!!
Natalie Taylor

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:51 am

yes it should be allowed.

its an option after all. im totally against others selfishly forcing their own views of what a game should b, and how it should be played, upon other people.

Its not an option when the game is designed around using it, and there is no incentives to not use fast travel at all, like it was in Oblivion
Hearts

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Well only fast travel i would allow in it, if there would be some caravans in the each towns and you could buy a trip to another town what would serve as a fast travel. It would make the world bit more "dynamic" and alive. And ofcourse it would allow some nice quests possibilities too. Like clearing out some goblin cave near some road so the caravan could go between the towns that were before prevented by the goblin raids. Or the caravan prize could be higher when goblins would be in the cave as the caravans would need to go some longer path to get safely in to the other town.

I think that this is a great idea. It blends together the idea of only traveling to places where you’ve been and keeps the mode of fast travel rooted in a logical explanation than just: You traveled 20K and never ran into any people/creatures/anything else along the way.

I never used fast travel, not even in Morrowind (except the part of the main story where you had to use a spell to escape) so I don’t really care how they implement it, I’ll just ignore it anyway. I won’t even have to wait for a mod to disable it for me!!
Lucky Boy

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:45 pm

There are two fast travel methods I'd like to see added on top of whatever they will have normally. One was the fast travel system from Redguard, where giving an offering at a shrine would have the god turn you into a bird so you could fly to the next shrine. The second is having giants throw you. Since there are giants in Skyrim, I'd like to be able to pay them to throw you as far as they can. You cast slowfall at some point to avoid death.

Dark Messiah had some great animations for when the cyclops threw you across the room, I think Bethesda can do that at a larger scale.
saharen beauty

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:02 am

This poll is just confusing. Because the travel system Morrowind had was actually commonly called fast travel as well.
Janine Rose

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 pm

uh... it says i dont have permission to vote in this poll... what the hell?

anyway... no, i didnt like the fast travel oblivion offered that much... its like the compass, its hard to not use something thats right there in front of you...

i'd like to have a real use for magic again... levitation, teleporting, etc...
candice keenan

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm

i think fast travel should be in Skyrim. Morrowind's travel was one of the things i hated about Morrowind! i dont have all day to play games, and to me its huge waste of time to walk from one city, to another and back again to do a quest, with the only other option being to pay for it, and some of us aren't money wise! I think they should include fast travel, but with a system like Morrowind's for the realist players. But the only way to get the fast travel would be to head to that location first
Angela Woods

Next

Return to V - Skyrim