Sload Soap

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 pm

PS. im not sleeping with Albides, stop fantasizing about our nonexisten relationship. :nuts:

But you should be, since a love triangle involving Sload would be exquisite. Yes, that Sload.
Irmacuba

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:30 pm

A 3 PAGE DISCUSSION ON SOAP?! Are you kidding me? What a waste of post space! well since everyone is babbling like Sheogorath on crack, I will too:

PS. im not sleeping with Albides, stop fantasizing about our nonexisten relationship.

No! I'll fantasize about whatever I want! You are a hoarsedawg poetaytoe.(insult from this guy on another board named Decipleofdarkness, who spells very poorly.)

horsdawg puftato!!!!!!!!!@!

Morns!!!!!!!

hapinuss onli cums frum evil!!!!!!

anyway Sload hate kids. Simple as that. Get over it. This thread has run its course.
Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:32 pm

We know very little about Sload Soap. Heck, we haven't seen a lot of Sload either.
Rusty Billiot

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:10 pm

We know very little about Sload Soap. Heck, we haven't seen a lot of Sload either.

I think N'Gasta is the only one we have seen. Regardless, They look a bit like a cross between a giant breakfast sausage, and an obeise slug.
^~LIL B0NE5~^

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:59 am

TL;DR.
JAY

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:13 am

Um, didn't that mister Nu guy state that not all members of a race are the same?
Maybe some Sloads do care about the babies, and if the Sload are intelligent enough to reanimate the dead, they must realize that boiling all their babies to make a buck is bad for the race in the long run, don't you think?

p.s., the American Revolution was fought because of oppressive taxes and lack of political representation, not just tea

p.p.s, the idea of Lady N and Albides getting it on is hot, imho.
Kira! :)))

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Um, didn't that mister Nu guy state that not all members of a race are the same?
Maybe some Sloads do care about the babies, and if the Sload are intelligent enough to reanimate the dead, they must realize that boiling all their babies to make a buck is bad for the race in the long run, don't you think?

Humans know our overuse of Earth's resources is bad not just for our "race", but for every other living thing on the planet, yet we still carry on poluting the place.
Granted, we are not intelligent enough to reanimate our dead.
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 am

I think N'Gasta is the only one we have seen.

Actually, Redguard had one in the flesh.
latrina

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Actually, Redguard had one in the flesh.

http://www.travel.ag.ru/tes/articles/m_ss_redguard/ss_shot_ngasta.jpg

Why, that is none other than N'Gasta himself! (0r rather, It'self..... since they are nongendered.)
Andrew Tarango

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:07 am

Truth to say re genocide there is no source that gives the % of baby sloads being used to make Sload Soap, nor who actually makes it so there is no basis to categorically deny or affirm genocide ofbaby sloads and therefore that race.

ragidman says: Well how about a war over vegetable that is boiled and thrown away - the Boston Tea Party?
Lady N replies: ... wow. the american revolution was not started over tea... and tea is not a vegetable.
Excuse me, if tea is not a vegetable what is it, a baby sload? And since so many prominent American Historians claim that British citizens putatively protesting the 1p tax on a Crate of Tea (but likely egged on by paid agitators) started a riot in Boston called the Boston Tea Party which triggered the start of the American Revolution then why did they call it a Tea Party? Maybe they should have called it a baby sload party then everyone would have known it was really about the cruel infamy of the British. Ummm - what exactly do they teach in history classes nowadays? I do hope that if this is your honest level in the subject that no one ever passed you in an exam.

Just what is the difference between Lore and fan fiction in practice? ... Lore is what Ldy N says it is and fan fiction is what Lady N uses to disparagingly describe other people's attempts to explore or expand Lore?

... sload sending a plague upon tamriel because they hate imperials and want more corpses. likely.
Lol total nonsense because there have not been generations of Imperials and other Tamriellians cataloguing the war crimes of the corpse despoiling sloads invading tamriellian soil with their horrific and vast undead armies. At that time the Sload would not have had to worry about any sort of military reprisals - they could have used their undead armies to wipe Tamriel clean - and there would also be books full of that. But nothing of the sort actually occurrred. So let's have a more realistic assessment if this is ooc?

... sload getting sick because they arent clean enough and then spreading that all over tamriel? ugh, nope. why do you insist on making sload Borring And Therefore Wrong?
A plague that decimated Tamriel started by Imperials and then spread by Imperials aint boring at all - that's the narsty side of politics = spin, lies and distortion. Heh - the very soul of rebellion by the Provinces if it ever got out, eh?

So you believe you are not Trolling? Seems like every time I reply to a post by someone else nowadays Lady N tells me I am wrong because I know nothing, Lady N misquotes me or takes out of context my post and declares her pal is right and therefore I am not a nice person like Lady N or the other person/s ... seems to me that's trolling. It's too bad that the useful stuff you post is so often hidden in the grandstanding, throwing curves and spin. Really I would not have known who half the people in your clique are and who was not in if you had not been doing this. All I have been doing is taking what people say on its own merits. I don't mind repartee about ideas provided the people involved are attempting to quote accurately and develope an argument, but consistent misquoting and 're-contexting' (a new word invented specifically to describe your habit) is just a bit immature. I think you just can't stand people who stand up for themselves successfully when lambasted by those you consider to be part of your clique - I stopped thinking that what you are really concerned with is Lore or merely defending yourself or decency a long time ago ... 'add some silly letters here please to impess people' besides, if it is such a pain answering my posts, then please don't bother Lady N.

ty Villfarelse for this:
Notes on Racial Phylogeny and Biology, Seventh Edition

We do know, however, that the sload of Thras are hermaphrodites in their youth and later reabsorb their reproductive organs once they are old enough to move about on land
This may be accurate. But once again the question arises not only as to who wrote it, but also who published it?

I would ask what kind of intelligence these youthful Sload display? And is it possible that (even assuming the observers' writings are totally honest and uncorrupted by more recent politics) the fact that the youthful sload are swimmers or water-livers might tend to disguise their full nature re intelligence or emotional make-up?

There is stuff in TES that I see as seminal - but given the nature of genocide and war I am not really sold on these descriptions of sload as being the entire story. Hell, if people cannot be honest about their actions on a forum like this then what chance is there that honesty will prevail in a killing war? It isnot enough though it make interesting reading as far as it goes.

I am not saying that it is not possible that the given story about the Sload is true, what I am saying is that is interesting to explore other options such as whether the quoted documents about sloads are genuine Imperial documents that lie - something that those who consider themselves to be in power and superior to those around them do all too often.

It would also be more interesting if there were equally 'genuine documents from another source that contradict the existing sources of 'sload lore' so that the reader was placed in a position of having to choose at some cost to him/herself either way.

Just having one source of Lore on a subject that CANNOT BE SAFELY CONTRADICTED is what is boring.
Sophie Miller

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:51 am

Uhm... Do I need to call a moderator?

It's really pretty simple man-- It isn't that the "lore cant be contradicted" because of some internal clique rule or something-- We try to come to a consensus based on multiple sources of information. From what I can tell, you are not as well versed in your lore book reading as you should be to be making such contentions.

1) Racial Phylogeny is published by mage's guild scholars, who want to understand the underpinning connections between men, mer, and beast races, and possibly xenoforms, like Sload and Daedra. It is not written by a religious or political institution, (though I suppose it could be argued that the mage's guild is indeed quite political as a body...)

2) Tea isnt a vegetable. Tea is an herbal product. Likewise, Oregano is not a vegetable, it is an herb.

3) The boston tea party had nothing to do with sload, nor sload with the boston tea party.

4) The sload dont have undead "Armies" per say--- The sload are like cowardly little smart kids. They know a whole lot of stuff, and can set up elaborate plans, but like said smart kids, they often times lack practicality and common sense. Sload are unable to understand concepts like "racial comradery" or "social mores". As a result, the idea that the Imperials, Men, Mer, Whoever--- that live on Tamriel would result with such unified force against the creators of the plague. To the sload, it would look more like this: '

To the sload, a corpse is like a vacuum cleaner, or a crecent wrench. It is an inanimate object, intended for a particular purpose. that particular purpose, in the case of dead bodies, is to be re-animated and used for mundane chores and handiwork. To the men, mer, and beast races, this is not the case. From the sload's perspective, it would look like people holding a collection of spoons in moral reverence. It just seems stupid. So, to help coax the Tamriel residents to be more free with their merchendise, the sload concoct a plan to make the residents of tamriel be BEGGING to be RID of the bodies. Undertakers and grave keepers can handle the normal day to day output of bodies, and can bury them with the proper rituals and blessings and all that--- which unfortunately make the bodies useless as bulk labor. However, when people are dying by the thousands every day, these workers cannot keep up with demand. Bodies pile up, begin to rot, and the plague spreads even faster. THe bodies MUST be disposed of. Likely, bodies would start to get dumped into rivers, ditches, caves, holes in the ground, and pretty much anyplace dead bodies could be stashed to avoid further deterioration of public health.

Now, at the same time, The Sload would offer to "Take those bodies off their hands", and offer it as a "Service"---

From the cold and calculating and alienly immoral mind of a sload, it makes perfect sense-- why would they go ape[censored] and try to blow up Thras? I mean, the sload are HELPING them with their little dead body problem afterall-----

The problem is that like said smart kid without common sense, they totally overlooked the moral outrage reaction that would come about because of their little manouver. The result was that the coral kingdoms of Thras got shelled out of existence. (they have only recently regenerated enough to re emerge from the water.)

The sload were never "body snatchers"--- They are body BUYERS. Big difference. They were trying to make the supply TOTALLY outstrip demand, so that price premiums on dead bodies would drop. It was pure economics.

As for the notion that "Maybe not all sload are bad guys who raise the dead for fun."--- To the sload, Necromancy is not a "Dark art"---- They use necromancy and corpses the way we use computers and industrial robots. To them, it is just good business sense, and totally normal. To the sload, the "God of Worms" would be seen in a totally utilitarian light. "Oh? You can overcome that meddlesome "arkay" vendor lockout on premium corpses? Fantastic-- we have quota's to fill, where do we sign on?"
Irmacuba

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 am

From what I can tell, you are not as well versed in your lore book reading as you should be to be making such contentions.

heh - I read every book in Daggerfall and Morrowind as I played them. I'm still considering the Oblivion stuff. I have not read all the unofficial Lore collected in the Imperialk Library because I was busy with other stuff elsewhere, and then I received a very rude and unpleasant reception at TIL - as has happened to others, so I do not feel I really want to spend time there any more. Hence the limitations of my reading. because I do love reading an dI want to be fair I probably will force myself to read all the Obscure Texts at some point - but the chance that I will find pleasure in doing so have been greatly diminished as, likewise has happened to others.

In point of fact I did not come accross all this detail about sloads anywhere in-game or from official read-mes.

I am willing to take an interest in the 'fan/semi-dev Lore as members of TIL describe it and give the former dev writers respect for their past work as devs and any present contributions that are in, as well as enjoy their unofficial works that have not made it into the game for what they are. But I'm not interested in being dictated to by you or others here on that basis - because that is not something you have earned. You are expressing an opinion even if you are MK or whoever. Discussion yes ... total surrender of will no way. It may have escaped your notice but new and old players actually criticise the contents of th egame itself? So what makes it unacceptable that someone should take a critical or playful look at unofficial writings? If they are good they will speak for themselves and will stand the test of being argued over.

This is a Forum for the discussion of Lore and I doubt that even if your hero, MK were here he would flat out state things as you have done in his own name. I suspect he would say according to ... whatever ... such and such and allow the strengths and weaknesses of his writing and the truths of whatever or whatever character to fight their own battles. Otherwise you would not be impressed by him in the first place.

But you have gone a step beyond that - maybe because you very much want your favorite horse to pass the post? You are trying to dictate what people can and cannot think where I am trying to question and find all the angles and limitations. That may mean we have something to offer each other. You can decide that for yourself.

2) Tea isnt a vegetable. Tea is an herbal product. Likewise, Oregano is not a vegetable, it is an herb.

You have just said tea is not a vegetable, right?
Now basic English: Animal, vegetable, mineral. Which is tea?

What is tea? Tea is a plant from the tips leaves of which (if it is good tea) a drink called tea is brewed. Tea in crates is vegetable matter - until it lands in Boston Harbour in which case a very thin infusion of it spreads out as a very faint flavour in the water because the water is so cold and salty. So what the tea then becomes mostly is soggy vegetable matter = still vegetable.

Tea also belongs to a category of vegetables / plants that can be called herbs as does Oregano. But tea does not stop being a vegetable because it is a herb. Or is it just that you have sucummed to a desire to be contradictory? (it seems my spelling has succummed here too)

There is a sub-category of plants called vegetables, not to be confused with fruit (nb some tomatoes may have different views on this) but these vegetables are also vegetables - see?

English tomatoes are the same as american tomatoes - but spelt differently or pronounced differently unless they are GM - in which case they may be entirely new speicies

3) The boston tea party had nothing to do with sload, nor sload with the boston tea party.

Well now I was beginnning to think it did have a connection - in that as an argument it made about as much sense as an assertion that tea is not a vegetable - and other such nonsensical statements. Sorry, but I think you overreached yourself there.

Think of it this way Weird - you have set yourself up as a teacher of the Lore in this Faculty - and as a scholar I see my duty is to absorbe whatever you tell me and question the veracity of your assertions - because I aint about to believe any old codswollop that people serve out - though I reserve the right to have a larf now and then to let off tension or just for fun. There is no point your getting angry at me for being me or having an enquiring mind, but if you do then people are going to wonder why? They are going to wonder what is wrong with the Obscure Texts that they need to be guarded so fiercely when they should stand up on their own merits.

Can anyone can say fairer than that?
rheanna bruining

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Excuse me, if tea is not a vegetable what is it, a baby sload? And since so many prominent American Historians claim that British citizens putatively protesting the 1p tax on a Crate of Tea (but likely egged on by paid agitators) started a riot in Boston called the Boston Tea Party which triggered the start of the American Revolution then why did they call it a Tea Party? Maybe they should have called it a baby sload party then everyone would have known it was really about the cruel infamy of the British. Ummm - what exactly do they teach in history classes nowadays? I do hope that if this is your honest level in the subject that no one ever passed you in an exam.

Tea is a leaf, but thats besides the point. the revolution was started over unfair taxes, lack of representation, quartering of soldiers in american homes, warantless searches, etc. the Boston Tea party played a small role and certainly did not ignite the revolution.

i got a 4 on my AP US history.

Just what is the difference between Lore and fan fiction in practice?

fan fiction doesn't have to follow -- or be supported by -- lore. fanon and Monkey Truth however follow lore and expand it in such a way that is supported by lore. having an underground city of chimer in morrowind might be based on lore but it is not plausible because it is not supported by lore.

So you believe you are not Trolling?[snip]

nope, you are trolling. i am flaming in response to your trolls.

if it is such a pain answering my posts, then please don't bother Lady N.

actually, its quality entertainment. not quite as good as watching you argue against others, but i make due.

I am not saying that it is not possible that the given story about the Sload is true, what I am saying is that is interesting to explore other options such as whether the quoted documents about sloads are genuine Imperial documents that lie - something that those who consider themselves to be in power and superior to those around them do all too often.

yes, let us assume that all imperials are lying cheating bastards and that nothing they wrote is true. the bosmer really eat plants and build houses in trees. the forbears and crown are really BFFs. the dwemer all traveled to the future and will reappear in TESXXII as a major party in the Secunda Moon Colony RTS.

your anology fails pretty hard. students are suppose to respect teachers and contradict their opinions only if they have valid points. you dont see conspiracy theories about 911 on the curriculum do you? i would hardly call your mind inquiring besides, you reject my/his/our trying to teach you and refer instead to some entirely unsupported story you made up. just because it has what you persieve as political intrigue doesn't make it interesting. I dont think anyone besides you thinks we are guarding the obscure texts...
Russell Davies

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Look man, let me try and explain some things to you and then maybe we can alleviate some of this hostility.

Right now you come off as this unfortunate mix of DragonKnight9 and Mortazo. Your posts run on and on and are full of tangents, while you seem to discredit those that have created this world and have quite the imaginary imagination.

There is no clique. There is no shadow group of members that seek to discredit all those who do not belong. While it's true that over the years a lot of us have come to have the same opinions about issues, if you could bring something new and interesting to the table we would all be glad to hear it.

It's also not in your best interest to intentionally escalate situations to absurd levels. Just keep cool.

Also calling MK a fan or implying that what he continues to write is dismissable, is ignorant and uncalled for. Which in turn makes people less inclined to listen to what you have to say.
Jesus Sanchez

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:36 am

On a different note,

y'know...in the back of my mind...I always knew soap was evil as [censored], so SLOAD soap has to be 10x worse...

Especially since soap killed my father...and [censored] my mother...
Rex Help

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Dear confused and woefully benighted neonate,

Our archivists have checked the records and found that there are no references in the obscure texts to Sload, barring a single casual tidbit that reveals so little as to be negligible and thus has not been used in the topic. It is not for us to decide whether or not you bringing up the canonicity of obscure texts in a topic that has little to do with it is a sort of red herring, or whether you are simply under a misapprehension. But we inform you that you hereby change your mind to that of Correct Thinking, that you might one day attain the 8th degree and the whorls of your brain be a thing adored and studied by studious oracles long after your death.

Your refractory diatribes have been noted and we will be keeping our omnipresent eye on you, however, as it saddens us to see you questioning the grand order.

Sincerely,

Inquisitor Cheerful Flagellation, Office for Canon Enforcement,
On behalf of the Secret Chiefs of the Shadowy Forum Clique Lodge.
Gemma Flanagan

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:51 am

I feel compelled to step in here, if for no other reason then to make it clear that yes, I am still alive and posting.

This thread has turned less into a discussion of Sload Soap and more of a discussion on what should and should not be accepted as "lore." So let me just put some things out there:

1.) Though most of the time we have access to several different viewpoints on a certain topic, sometimes we don't and are limited to one viewpoint and one only. This is the case in the Sloads' supposed immorality and lack-of-caring for their young. We have but one source on the Sloads' supposed nature, and as such until other sources become available, we should take the source we DO have at face value; that is, we should accept Sloads as being immoral, uncaring Jabba the Hutts because nothing DISPROVES this view. If something comes out that contradicts this notion, then we can debate this all day long; but the fact of the matter is, we don't have anymore info on the matter, so we have to accept the information given for what it is.

Not only that, but the only Sload we've met in a TES game, N'Gasta, WAS a pretty immoral, uncaring bastard, so if anything that IS one thing that proves the factuality of the source in question.

2.) Some argue that not all members of a race act the same, and this is true. However, let me bring this point up for thought: TES is a universe of constant moral ambiguity, where right isn't always right and wrong isn't always wrong. Therefore, I propose that in this world of moral ambiguity, isn't it refreshing to have something that ISN'T morally ambiguous?----that "something" being a race of Jabba the Hut corpse-taking scumbags who kill their young and sell them as soap. Having something that IS completely 'black' or 'white' doesn't make it cliche--having EVERYTHING be either 'black' or 'white' does. Since almost everything else in TES is 'grey', I submit that having the Sload be entirely 'black' makes it NOT cliche and, therefore, very cool.

3.) In regards to MK's writing being nothing more than "fanon": the fact of the matter is, what MK writes DOES hold more weight than what any one of us writes because MK does still work for Bethesda, just not in a "developer status." He is still contracted by Bethesda to write lore, and he has continued to do so as recently as "Knights of the Nine," so clearly he hasn't been disowned by Beth and shoved to the side. Therefore, since he still works for Bethesda, what he writes DOES have weight from a lorical standpoint. Simple as that.

That's my two-cents on this discussion. Carry on as you were.
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:11 am

*Your temple has been zero'ed.

Lexy Corpsey

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:16 pm

1.) ... we should accept Sloads as being immoral, uncaring Jabba the Hutts because nothing DISPROVES this view.is.

The Secret Chiefs endorse this view, as it is the principle upon which every act of reading fiction hinges.

2.)... I submit that having the Sload be entirely 'black' makes it NOT cliche and, therefore, very cool.

A distinction sould be made between amorality, immorality and moral ambiguity. Moral ambiguity presupposes that there is indeed a moral standard - or several - to be uncertain about. Personally I like the idea Sload make soap out of their own children because of the sense of otherness that image evokes. They aren't evil exactly, they're amoral, which makes applying standard moral language to them impractical. Unlike, say, the orcs of other settings, they aren't inimical or hostile, but indifferent, as suggested by the fact they have diplomats and traders and in the way Zenas and his assistant http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/doors_oblivion.shtml visiting Thras and speaking to Sload. And since, excepting that one-off Plague so many thousands of years ago, they aren't the blatant "evil challenge" of the dark side monsters, they're an Other; a race meant to challenge our own conceptions about ourselves. Not to mention that it recalls the old wives tale about Nazis making soap out of Jews.

Otherwise, this is indeed quite Orthodox! You have met with our approval!

snip

A satisfactory summary! Your standing increases amongst our circle!
Adam

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Members are cautioned to avoid ad hominem arguments, straw men, specious irrelevancies, and other rhetorical devices that turn discussions of Lore into flamewars. I do not want to have to remove anyone from this thread in order to allow it to reach some sort of consensus, but I will if forced.
keri seymour

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Oh my beautiful, beautiful thread! Ohh nooo!!!
Katie Pollard

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Did this thread make anyone else feel like watching Fight Club?
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:04 pm

The Secret Chiefs endorse this view, as it is the principle upon which every act of reading fiction hinges.

Otherwise, this is indeed quite Orthodox! You have met with our approval!

Thank you, Great Ones. Your approval and acceptance brings me great honor, and I aspire to one day be welcomed into your Circle. :bowdown:
Kat Stewart

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:12 am

On a different note,

y'know...in the back of my mind...I always knew soap was evil as [censored], so SLOAD soap has to be 10x worse...

Especially since soap killed my father...and [censored] my mother...

*SOB*...YOU'RE NOT ALONE!!!...*SOB*SOB*

But seriously. I could very well imagine that the Sload are simply using their children to gain a quick buck or two. Especially if they reproduce in the hundreds.
Or, perhaps like I said earlier...Sload Soap could just be a limited commodity that is very expensive because of it's magical quality as well as the fact that sload soap is not limitless. In fact, it could just be left over from the Imperial Flag Navy's decimation of Thras. Although that may be unlikely.
Jake Easom

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 am

http://www.travel.ag.ru/tes/articles/m_ss_redguard/ss_shot_ngasta.jpg

Why, that is none other than N'Gasta himself! (0r rather, It'self..... since they are nongendered.)

D'oh! I had forgotten his name...
Mike Plumley

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion