TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 146

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:53 am

The force isn't necessary for incapacitating the fish, but penetrating the water and maintaining just enough force to penetrate the fish, but not shattering/pulping it. It's a delicate balance really.

I think the books should be canon, as having multiple parallel dimensions, one for book, one for game (possibly another for movie or comic), would be bull, as the games having effect on everything else, and nothing having effect on the games would be horribly confusing.
His Bella

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 pm

The force isn't necessary for incapacitating the fish, but penetrating the water and maintaining just enough force to penetrate the fish, but not shattering/pulping it. It's a delicate balance really.

I think the books should be canon, as having multiple parallel dimensions, one for book, one for game (possibly another for movie or comic), would be bull, as the games having effect on everything else, and nothing having effect on the games would be horribly confusing.

Or they can just retcon it. It's happened before, I don't doubt it'll happen again. :P
Marilú

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:36 am

combat

clean hit an enemy leg, they cant run/walk

clean hit an enemy arm, defence/attack is weakened

enemy blocks attacks until hits received is enough for him/her to not defend themselves properly

no enemy energy bar, visual damage to body/face (maybe even facial expression) would show energy level

---

realistic battles could be achieved
Farrah Barry

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:59 pm

combat

clean hit an enemy leg, they cant run/walk

clean hit an enemy arm, defence/attack is weakened

enemy blocks attacks until hits received is enough for him/her to not defend themselves properly

no enemy energy bar, visual damage to body/face (maybe even facial expression) would show energy level

---

realistic battles could be achieved

you should look into a game called demons souls. it has a battle system similiar to that but not as detailed, though the thing with that is even though you can kill enemies in 1-3 well placed hits, the enemies can do the same to you. i dont think bethseda would change it so radically that it turns off casual gamers.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Well if TES:V won't be out for a few more years, maybe they can do something about the NPCs body language
DeeD

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

I had this posted on the speculation thread, but then I saw that stuff relating to graphics and the likes should go here. So here is my response to what a guy posted in another thread.

Anyone who claims they don't care about graphics, or doesn't think graphics are hugely important in a TES game, is either lying or not thinking before they speak.

Really? I have thought it out and I really don't think graphics are all that important. And I am not lier. In fact, I would be happy if TES V looked like vanilla Morrowind, no joke.

I agree that graphics add to a game, but great graphics are not essential. They should make the game as good as it can get, get it fully made, and then improve graphics as "needed".

So many of you are saying that the graphics are fine as they are and don't need updating.

They are fine and they don't need updating.

Have you been playing games other than Oblivion recently?

Yes.

Especially when gorgeous visuals sell games these days

I agree, and it saddens me that now graphics sell games. What ever happened to the days where gameplay ruled over eye-candy?

Part of me actually hopes they do just use a slightly updated Fallout 3 engine

Morrowind - Fallout 3 were all made with the same engine, just a slightly updated version each time. Bethesda has stated that they are sticking with Gamebryo, so yeah, they are just gonna use a slightly updated Fallout 3 engine.

Todd Howard himself has stated that the visuals are the centre-piece of the Elder Scrolls series, and that he and his team will always design a TES game to blow people's minds in this department. He's the lead developer for one of the most acclaimed game development companies in the world. Believe it or not, he knows what he's talking about when he says graphics are important.

I respect Todd, I think he is a great developer and a great man. However, just because he says graphics are important, doesn't mean graphics are important.
Devils Cheek

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Really? I have thought it out and I really don't think graphics are all that important. And I am not lier. In fact, I would be happy if TES V looked like vanilla Morrowind, no joke.

I agree that graphics add to a game, but great graphics are not essential. They should make the game as good as it can get, get it fully made, and then improve graphics as "needed".

Yes.

I agree, and it saddens me that now graphics sell games. What ever happened to the days where gameplay ruled over eye-candy?

Morrowind - Fallout 3 were all made with the same engine, just a slightly updated version each time. Bethesda has stated that they are sticking with Gamebryo, so yeah, they are just gonna use a slightly updated Fallout 3 engine.

I respect Todd, I think he is a great developer and a great man. However, just because he says graphics are important, doesn't mean graphics are important.

You want the graphics of vanilla Morrowind? You know that those graphics were amazing for their time, right? If you don't care about graphics, perhaps TES V should have Arena's graphics, right? Graphics are important to TES series. All Elder Scrolls games had great graphics for their times, and I'm sure Morrowind sold copies because of its graphics as well. I like amazing graphics. I don't believe they should result in simplified gameplay, but graphics are a part of gameplay and they are important. Graphics are important and Bethesda has always tried to make their games with great graphics. Morrowind's graphics are far too outdated. Graphics matter in an Elder Scrolls game, and Oblivion didn't break any trends in TES series in terms of graphical improvement. Graphics are important, and they do help with immersion.
Kortniie Dumont

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 am

I had this posted on the speculation thread, but then I saw that stuff relating to graphics and the likes should go here. So here is my response to what a guy posted in another thread.

Yes.

I agree grapics are nice but they do not make a game great or steller.
Peter lopez

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:25 pm

You want the graphics of vanilla Morrowind?

I do not want them, however, I would not complain if that's what TES V's graphics were.

You know that those graphics were amazing for their time, right?

Yes, I know.

If you don't care about graphics, perhaps TES V should have Arena's graphics, right?

You are putting words in my mouth. I don't really care about graphics, that is true, but I never said TES should have bad graphics. I merely stated that I would be content with "out-dated" graphics and that graphics aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things. But if TES V were to have Arena's graphics, it sincerely wouldn't bother me all that much.

I'm sure Morrowind sold copies because of its graphics as well.

Possibly. Do keep in mind though that Morrowind was released back when game quality sold games, not eye-candy.

graphics are a part of gameplay and they are important.

They are hardly a part of gameplay, and they aren't all that important really.

Morrowind's graphics are far too outdated.

How? The only bad about Morrowind's graphics are the animations and the segmented bodies, but even those aren't so bad. In fact, I actually like Morrowind's graphics more than Oblivion's. In Oblivion everything looked spit-and-polish and covered with plastic. In Morrowind things were rough, gritty, and had a realistic feel about them. Also, people in Oblivion look like clay, while in Morrowind they look a lot more real, apart from the segmented bodies.

they do help with immersion.

Somewhat they do, I agree.
Oyuki Manson Lavey

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 am

I do not want them, however, I would not complain if that's what TES V's graphics were.

Yes, I know.

You are putting words in my mouth. I don't really care about graphics, that is true, but I never said TES should have bad graphics. I merely stated that I would be content with "out-dated" graphics and that graphics aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things. But if TES V were to have Arena's graphics, it sincerely wouldn't bother me all that much.

Possibly. Do keep in mind though that Morrowind was released back when game quality sold games, not eye-candy.

They are hardly a part of gameplay, and they aren't all that important really.

How? The only bad about Morrowind's graphics are the animations and the segmented bodies, but even those aren't so bad. In fact, I actually like Morrowind's graphics more than Oblivion's. In Oblivion everything looked spit-and-polish and covered with plastic. In Morrowind things were rough, gritty, and had a realistic feel about them. Also, people in Oblivion look like clay, while in Morrowind they look a lot more real, apart from the segmented bodies.

Somewhat they do, I agree.

You wouldn't be bothered if TES V had Arena'a graphics? Now I know you are lying.
Andrew Lang

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 am

You wouldn't be bothered if TES V had Arena'a graphics? Now I know you are lying.

I am not lying. It would be uncomfortable for at first, but after a very short while I would get over it and enjoy the game for what it is.
Pete Schmitzer

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am

I have just two questions...

Who is this guy and why does he hate good graphics so much?

If TESV looks like a better FO3 in the TES setting and plays similar to that of Morrowind and Oblivion, what's so wrong with that? Will it having breathtaking graphics (which it will) make you despise the game.

Fact: Modern games on the next-gen consoles NEED good graphics to succeed. Alot of smaller companies are trying to keep up but they don't do well because graphics are a key selling point with games these days. I understand where you're coming from. Gameplay, in my opinion, is the end-all in a game and how good it is, and I still play Morrowind more than Oblivion because of the in depth game play. But if TESV comes out looking like Arena, I'll be one of thousands absolutely furious that they did no better than where they were at.

I expect TESV to look great. If it looks like a smoother Oblivion with a farther draw distance then I suppose I'll be greatly satisfied.

As for graphics adding to gameplay, that's entirely true. Maybe not too much in a game like this, but lets say a first person shooter. If they feel the same, the one that looks more realistic and takes scenery to the next level is the breakout game. IE Modern Warfare 2.
Thema

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Beards.

It's been discussed before, but not like this. Never like this.

I want every kind of beard on the planet to make up for Oblivion's lack thereof. Even more than Fallout3 had, because, quite frankly, FO3's list of beards svckLED.

I want there to be an entire customization system dedicated solely to beards. It'll be divided into these main parts: chin, lower lip, upper lip, jaw, cheeks, sideburns. You can decide where, how and why your hair grows on each part, as well as the colour. If I want to design a Nord with a patchy rainbow beard, I better damn well be able to design a Nord with a patchy rainbow beard.

You can scale the length, thickness, and sparsity of the hairs up and down, back and forth. At certain lengths, you should have the ability to choose to tie that portion of beard. Such as braiding your goatee if it's long enough, or even putting dread locks on your face!! You can go from all-over stubble, to fu manchu, to a porm stash.

This, I believe, could create potential for a lot of bad-ass characters with cool beards. Such as a Wood Elf with chin scruff (finally!), or a woman with a survivalist beard, or a man with only half a beard! that is, a full beard on only one side of his face. Think about how awesome that would be! A beard on one half of your face!
Veronica Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:40 am

I have just two questions...

If TESV looks like a better FO3 in the TES setting and plays similar to that of Morrowind and Oblivion, what's so wrong with that? Will it having breathtaking graphics (which it will) make you despise the game.

Fact: Modern games on the next-gen consoles NEED good graphics to succeed. Alot of smaller companies are trying to keep up but they don't do well because graphics are a key selling point with games these days. I understand where you're coming from. Gameplay, in my opinion, is the end-all in a game and how good it is, and I still play Morrowind more than Oblivion because of the in depth game play. But if TESV comes out looking like Arena, I'll be one of thousands absolutely furious that they did no better than where they were at.

I expect TESV to look great. If it looks like a smoother Oblivion with a farther draw distance then I suppose I'll be greatly satisfied.

As for graphics adding to gameplay, that's entirely true. Maybe not too much in a game like this, but lets say a first person shooter. If they feel the same, the one that looks more realistic and takes scenery to the next level is the breakout game. IE Modern Warfare 2.

Good or even great graphics would be nice even if it is a small upgrade would be good.Small additions should be done but nothing light years ahead of Fallout3's overall look.But graphics donot make a game gameplay and story do make a great gaming experiance for all.
Tamara Dost

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 am

I am Nextmastermind and I do not hate good graphics, I just feel they are not needed.

Will it having breathtaking graphics (which it will) make you despise the game.

Only if it's gameplay isn't good because more time was put into the graphics.

TESV comes out looking like Arena, I'll be one of thousands absolutely furious that they did no better than where they were at.

Why? Please tell me - What is so bad about Arena's graphics? Sure, they may not be a feast for the eyes, but they are not bad. Not at all.

with a farther draw distance

But the draw distance is what made Oblivion feel so small, you could see Bruma from Anvil, so to speak. Morrowind was smaller, but it felt bigger, partly because of the draw distance being smaller.

but lets say a first person shooter.

That's because FPS's tend to need to have good graphics to make up for the lack of originality and fun. Honestly, I've only ever played maybe three good FPS's. But that is a whole other discussion.
biiibi

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:01 am

I think a longer draw distance would be a great for the overall graphic quaiity.I am not very picky over the look of a game. :thumbsup:
cassy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 am

I think Bethesda does not have much to do in the way of graphics. Mostly just optimization.

Gameplay is where its at. A game is played because of good gameplay. It makes or breaks the game. IT is something Bethesda should focus on.
carla

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:01 am

Nextmastermind, you have to understand that games like TES NEED good graphics to succeed. Sryner of the Sword has a point. All of Bethesda's games had really good graphics for their time, and great graphics are what helped sell Oblivion. "One of the best looking games of all time" was a phrase I remember being used to describe Oblivion way back when it was first announced. If Bethesda went back to the level of graphics they had in Morrowind, I can guarantee you TESV would sell much, much less. While graphics indeed don't make the game, they do a big part in actually selling the game.

Oh, and if TESV had the same graphics as Arena, there's no doubt in my mind Bethesda would go bankrupt. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.
Valerie Marie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 am

Nextmastermind, you have to understand that games like TES NEED good graphics to succeed.

They also need good gameplay. The question is, though, which do they need more?

I think you will find the answer is undoubtably good gameplay.

Definition of gameplay:
"A series of interesting choices." - Sid Meiers
"The structures of player interaction with the game system and with other players in the game." - Patterns in Game Design (2005) Bjork, S. & Holopainen, J.
"One or more causally linked series of challenges in a simulated environment." - Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design (2003) Rollings, A. & Adams, E.
"A good game is one that you can win by doing the unexpected and making it work." - Game Architecture and Design (2000) Rollings, A. & Morris, D.
"The experience of gameplay is one of interacting with a game design in the performance of cognitive tasks, with a variety of emotions arising from or associated with different elements of motivation, task performance and completion."[1] - Lindley, Nacke & Sennersten (2008)
Richard Thompson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Nextmastermind, you have to understand that games like TES NEED good graphics to succeed. Sryner of the Sword has a point. All of Bethesda's games had really good graphics for their time, and great graphics are what helped sell Oblivion. "One of the best looking games of all time" was a phrase I remember being used to describe Oblivion way back when it was first announced. If Bethesda went back to the level of graphics they had in Morrowind, I can guarantee you TESV would sell much, much less. While graphics indeed don't make the game, they do a big part in actually selling the game.

Oh, and if TESV had the same graphics as Arena, there's no doubt in my mind Bethesda would go bankrupt. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.

I agree completely that they need graphics to sell. And I find that a crying shame.
phil walsh

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 am

I agree completely that they need graphics to sell. And I find that a crying shame.

But they also need good gameplay! More so than good graphics! :brokencomputer:
Eddie Howe

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 pm

They also need good gameplay. The question is, though, which do they need more?

I think you will find the answer is undoubtably good gameplay.

Definition of gameplay:
"A series of interesting choices." - Sid Meiers
"The structures of player interaction with the game system and with other players in the game." - Patterns in Game Design (2005) Bjork, S. & Holopainen, J.
"One or more causally linked series of challenges in a simulated environment." - Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design (2003) Rollings, A. & Adams, E.
"A good game is one that you can win by doing the unexpected and making it work." - Game Architecture and Design (2000) Rollings, A. & Morris, D.
"The experience of gameplay is one of interacting with a game design in the performance of cognitive tasks, with a variety of emotions arising from or associated with different elements of motivation, task performance and completion."[1] - Lindley, Nacke & Sennersten (2008)

Well of course. They both have a huge part in making a game, there's no denying that.
Thema

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:23 am

It is a shame when graphics sell a game if sacrifices are made in favor of graphics over gameplay it is truely a sad state of affairs.
Lauren Dale

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

The argument "what if they use Arena graphic?" is very flawed as the basis of "increasing" the graphic they have from Oblivion. Of course the Dev will not come down and make graphic like Morrowind or Arena, but the idea is that they cannot just depend on uping the graphic as their main point. Sure Oblivion was accredit with "good graphic", but everything else about it was drained down.

I would say along the line they could increase the graphic, but not to the point as an importants. Look at Fallout 3; its practically optimized the graphic of Oblivion and people still like the appearence of the game. I would suggest along the line is to get the gameplay down first, then up the graphic alittle with a bit of optimization.
Sunnii Bebiieh

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am

The argument "what if they use Arena graphic?" is very flawed as the basis of "increasing" the graphic they have from Oblivion. Of course the Dev will not come down and make graphic like Morrowind or Arena, but the idea is that they cannot just depend on uping the graphic as their main point. Sure Oblivion was accredit with "good graphic", but everything else about it was drained down.

I would say along the line they could increase the graphic, but not to the point as an importants. Look at Fallout 3; its practically optimized the graphic of Oblivion and people still like the appearence of the game. I would suggest along the line is to get the gameplay down first, then up the graphic alittle with a bit of optimization.

I agree 100% Oblivion looks fine but yes every thing in the game was watered down and felt like it had little substance.I think the graphics range of Fallout3 would be great as their focus should be on expanding gameplay and TES overall story.
Irmacuba

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion