TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 146

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 am

They'd have to make unnecessarily big chests to fit some of the bigger items in the game. It would be nothing but a hassle.

Not Exactly True,Using small basic chests we see every day in TES could be used to hold smaller items. Gold,Daggers, potions ingrediants Maybe even Shortswords. While things like Longswords and Shield can be placed in caskets, and coffins, Cabinets and drawers or scattered over the floor or on weapon racks.
Dean Brown

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 pm

To quote myself in another thread,

edit: You should be able to place a 'mark' on items, and 'recall' them when needed. Also, you should be able to have up to three different Mark locations at once as well as recall on target (so your companions can follow you)

/edit.

There was a telekinesis spell in Oblivion, but I've never used it. Never needed to, and When I did need it, it didnt work. Like pulling a lever on the other side of a gate. There was also force spells in Midas Magic that you could use to push things and throw things a long distance. like pushing enemys off towers and cliffs.

I agree! Collision damage, as well as like... hurling people into walls.

Conjuration should be able to summon food, water, other liquids, creatures, weapons, furniture, etc. We're conjuring this stuff, I want to conjure a gold-and-ruby amulet.

Destruction needs to go back to the old days of Arena/DF... 1-6+1/level. Meaning no spell is ever "worthless."
Alteration needs to give us levitation, the ability to alter weights of items, to lock stuff.
Restoration needs to give us the ability to ressurect people/things.

I completly agree with destruction

Locking stuff , like in the old games, just didn't have any use. you were the only theif. Locking would have been awesome if there were other people with AI telling them to steal.

That would be necromancy, not restoration.

I would like to see defensive spell effects last a bit longer...perhaps paid for by sustaining it from the mana pool. It was a real pain to keep defensive spells up. Even if they were auto recast, that would be better.

Spells should be sold by effects/clusters of effects. the potency should depend on your proficiency with that type of magic. However, if you held down the 'cast' button, your spell should be more powerful although more likely to fail. Different spells would be marked "long term, and holding as such would increase time. Long term spells would all drain your magica for the entirety of the spell, although barely (3 points fire damage for 1000 seconds would be unoticeable on your magica bar)

Suzie Dalziel

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Not Exactly True,Using small basic chests we see every day in TES could be used to hold smaller items. Gold,Daggers, potions ingrediants Maybe even Shortswords. While things like Longswords and Shield can be placed in caskets, and coffins, Cabinets and drawers or scattered over the floor or on weapon racks.

You would need to have a lot of chests to store the amount of things most players carry around in a TES game.

If bottomless storage chests really concern you that much, just suggest that Bethesda re-implement what they did in Morrowind, where you couldn't fit certain things in small containers. Revamping the way storage works so severely isn't the solution.
le GraiN

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 am

Can you imagine the hassle with dropping rings, though? Or getting things out if they're on the way bottom?

If bottomless storage chests really concern you that much, just suggest that Bethesda re-implement what they did in Morrowind, where you couldn't fit certain things in small containers. Revamping the way storage works so severely isn't the solution.

Exactly. Just have it so after awhile the container is full. Of course, then I want to be able to buy as many containers as I want and put them where I want.

And for the love of the Nine, NO overflow loot sack! I seriously moved to several houses because of that crap
Sara Lee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:46 am

I've been doing some research, and I think I may have some bad news regarding the progress of TESV. I don't claim to be right, this is just what I think:

Oblivion was released 3 years and 10 months after the release of Morrowind. 83 people developed Morrowind, and 143 people developed Oblivion. In contrast, 68 people developed Daggerfall and 26 people developed Arena.

Fallout 3 was released 4 years and 3 months after the release of Oblivion, and 159 people developed it. This means that it's very likely that the entire team at Bethesda was devoted solely to Fallout 3, and not another game such as TESV.

In November 2008, Bethesda's team was split in half; half worked on the next game, while the other half worked on the DLC for Fallout 3.

In August 2009, the team came back together after the release of the final Fallout 3 DLC.

This means that Bethesda has only been working on their next game for 1 year as of January 1, 2010. That is, if you count the efforts of half the team as a full year of work, and not 6 months.

1 year means that there will be AT LEAST another two years of development before the next game is released, probably another 3 years. It was 2 years and 4 months after the release of Morrowind before Bethesda announced Oblivion, which means that it's likely that we wont see an announcement for another year, at least.

So, to summarize, the facts suggest that we wont see an announcement for Bethesda's next game until 2011, and that it wont be released until at least 2012.

Sources:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Five-DLC-Packs-for-Fallout-3-Are-Enough-Developer-Says-119879.shtml
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fallout-3/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/elder-scrolls-daggerfall/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/elder-scrolls-arena/credits

P.S.: The number of people I said developed Morrowind doesn't include the people listed under “Special Thanks,” the number of people I said developed Oblivion doesn't include the Alternate Language Test Teams, and the number of people I said developed Fallout 3 doesn't include everyone listed under “Voiceovers” and every category after.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am

I've been doing some research, and I have some bad news regarding the progress of TESV:

Oblivion was released 3 years and 10 months after the release of Morrowind. 83 people developed Morrowind, and 143 people developed Oblivion. In contrast, 68 people developed Daggerfall and 26 people developed Arena.

Fallout 3 was released 4 years and 3 months after the release of Oblivion, and 159 people developed it. This means that it's very likely that the entire team at Bethesda was devoted solely to Fallout 3, and not another game such as TESV.

In November 2008, Bethesda's team was split in half; half worked on the next game, while the other half worked on the DLC for Fallout 3.

In August 2009, the team came back together after the release of the final Fallout 3 DLC.

This means that Bethesda has only been working on their next game for 1 year as of January 1, 2010. That is, if you count the efforts of half the team as a full year of work, and not 6 months.

1 year means that there will be AT LEAST another two years of development before the next game is released, probably another 3 years. It was 2 years and 4 months after the release of Morrowind before Bethesda announced Oblivion, which means that it's likely that we wont see an announcement for another year, at least.

So, to summarize, the facts suggest that we wont see an announcement for Bethesda's next game until 2011, and that it wont be released until at least 2012.

Sources:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Five-DLC-Packs-for-Fallout-3-Are-Enough-Developer-Says-119879.shtml
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fallout-3/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/elder-scrolls-daggerfall/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/elder-scrolls-arena/credits

P.S.: The number of people I said developed Morrowind doesn't include the people listed under "Special Thanks," the number of people I said developed Oblivion doesn't include the Alternate Language Test Teams, and the number of people I said developed Fallout 3 doesn't include everyone listed under "Voiceovers" and every category after.

To support what you said, I will provide a quote from me:

I know, but Fallout 3 wasn't released until 2008. I doubt TES V was seriously worked on until Fallout 3 was released, and that would mean Bethesda needs more time in between TES games to make a good one that they used to. The Fallout series is in the equation now. Oblivion had about 4 years of production time, and it could have been so much more. I love Oblivion, but Bethesda can do better. I want Bethesda to take their time with TES V and make it as good as it can possibly be. If Bethesda didn't seriously start working on TES V until 2008, how can we expect it any earlier that 2012 or 2013, especially if we want it to be good?

It seems as if TES V isn't coming until at least 2012, especially if it is going to be amazing.
Ana

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 am

To support what you said, I will provide a quote from me:

Yep. And thanks for saying that, that's what got me to look into it further.
мistrєss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 am

Yep. And thanks for saying that, that's what got me to look into it further.

I really was hoping that I was wrong. :banghead: Thanks for looking into it, but now I'm depressed.
Nymph

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 am

I really was hoping that I was wrong. :banghead: Thanks for looking into it, but now I'm depressed.

Sorry. :(

But if it makes you feel better, I'm just as sad because this means I wont be seeing Fallout 4 for years and years and years...
Haley Cooper

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

Sorry. :(

But if it makes you feel better, I'm just as sad because this means I wont be seeing Fallout 4 for years and years and years...

New Vegas is coming out soon.
Dark Mogul

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 am

1) dagger skill slit throat one kill tecnique for stealth characters.

2) one hit kill headshots with bow/arrow.

3) place to gamble, bet on dog fights, play cards, get into drunken fights... Anvil dockside woulda been perfect for this.

4) be able to live in abandoned houses in the wild.

5) non regenerating containers.

6) have some forts/ruins just empty. They dont all have to be filled with bandits.

7) more unique locations like the wizards tower. Dont copy/past all the dungeons.

8) JUNGLE.

9) SWAMP.

10) DESERT

11) Be able to climb walls, shimmy ledges, use grapple gropes etc.

12) Be able to sneak into castles via windows.

Basically it felt a bit unrealsitc as a thief going in the front entrance of a castle, past all the gaurds and countess to rob the place.

13) be able to 'hiss' to lure enemies.

14) be able to throw rocks to lure enemies (far cry 1)

15) be able to row small row-boats

16) NON-walled villages.

17) more small villages in the wild, remote areas with inns and shops, some lore (hackdirt good example)

18) If you join a guild, be able to recruit members to follow you. In oblivions fighters guilds, the members just stand around doing nothing... they could be out on a skirmish clearing bandit camps with me.

19) more travellers on the roads.

20) NON levelled creatures. I want to be able to run into a deadroth at level one, and escape with barely my life.

21) lose the skeletons, they svck. Seems once you die in Tamriel, you become a living skeleton who wants to kill people.

22) more variety of bandits, warriors, highwaymen... HUMAN enemies.

23) have rich/poor districts in the bigger cities...

24) make a proper vampire hunters guild.

25) cloud parts of the map you have not yet been too.

26) if you walk through mud, swamps, lakes etc... be muddy, or soaking.. make moving slower for a while. I want to look like a hardcoe adventurer when im in 3rd person.

27) be able to climb trees.

28) realistc horseback fights, chases etc... (see A-creed 2)

29) unlikely but would be good to have more houses/ shops/inns have no load time when you enter. You just open the door in real time and walk in.

30) violent rainstorms and snow.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 am

Looking at the the game coming out these days. and the games Bethesda has recently published, I wouldnt be suprosed if TESV ended up being very generic, very plastic looking, short, half finished, full of bugs, and with a bad story. The game market is going down the tubes.
Stephy Beck

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:29 am

No, no, this is excellent news! This means our ideas still have time to be implemented in the game! Quick, everyone, get your thinking caps on!

--------------------------

I want aura-style spell effects that affect NPCs/creatures that come within a specified radius of the center of the spell (probably the Player Character, or any NPC that casts the spell).
LittleMiss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 am

No, no, this is excellent news! This means our ideas still have time to be implemented in the game! Quick, everyone, get your thinking caps on!

My sentiments exactly, plus the longer they spend on the gameplay aspects (that is if they don't spend all this time on graphics and technology) the better the game will be.

So, I was thinking, people in Tamriel eat fish right? Well, why not have a speargun?

I have also been reading this new book, The Infernal City, and what I realized is that the book draws its ideas from the previous games, its lore is based on the games and not the other way around, so we can really expect anything to come into play in the next TES, including but not limited to...

new races, old races, flight (considering it was prevelant in Morrowind(in spells)), the return of holidays, entry into various daedric and aedric realms, the possibility of setting the game (please for the love of goddreaming!) somewhere other than Skyrim Morrowind or Cyrodil, the inclusion of one or more races from another continent (possibly including or leading up to the inclusion of that continent in TESVI), realistic dungeons with lots of variety and hidden meanings, the discovery of an even more ancient culture along with their writings and text, biscuits fruit and bread that doesn't have an alchemical property but instead fills your stamina/fatigue gague, every other good suggestion that anyone has made here.

Stephen.

EDIT: more beast races, possibly fish races, squid races, crab/dreugh races, bird races, horse and cow and sheep and pig races, squirrel and guinea pig races, daemon races, half daemon half guinea pig races, etc.

Stephen.
Danielle Brown

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 am

My sentiments exactly, plus the longer they spend on the gameplay aspects (that is if they don't spend all this time on graphics and technology) the better the game will be.

So, I was thinking, people in Tamriel eat fish right? Well, why not have a speargun?

I have also been reading this new book, The Infernal City, and what I realized is that the book draws its ideas from the previous games, its lore is based on the games and not the other way around, so we can really expect anything to come into play in the next TES, including but not limited to...

new races, old races, flight (considering it was prevelant in Morrowind(in spells)), the return of holidays, entry into various daedric and aedric realms, the possibility of setting the game (please for the love of goddreaming!) somewhere other than Skyrim Morrowind or Cyrodil, the inclusion of one or more races from another continent (possibly including or leading up to the inclusion of that continent in TESVI), realistic dungeons with lots of variety and hidden meanings, the discovery of an even more ancient culture along with their writings and text, biscuits fruit and bread that doesn't have an alchemical property but instead fills your stamina/fatigue gague, every other good suggestion that anyone has made here.

Stephen.

EDIT: more beast races, possibly fish races, squid races, crab/dreugh races, bird races, horse and cow and sheep and pig races, squirrel and guinea pig races, daemon races, half daemon half guinea pig races, etc.

Stephen.

A spear gun wouldn't have any propulsion, although using a spear and telekinesis we should be able to hunt fish.

The EARLY games created a world with standing lore. Now, the Devs can only add and add different views on events, but they can't say that the Warp in the West never happened. They can only straight up change thigs that are hardly touched upon, and even then they have MK give us a one-sentence long thing from Talos to explain it away.

Edit: Only a few 'new' races could show up. Falmer, Ayleid, Goblin, Imga, different Kajiit breeds, Different Argonian tribes, Sload, Left-handed elves, Tang Mo, Po Tun, Tsaeci, Kamal, and finally Akaviri*

*Akaviri would be a race of Men
Andrew

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Instead of limiting us to Three play types, why not add a fourth. Stealth, Magic, Bronze, and introducing PERSONALITY. Convincing other people to follow you around and help you out. This type would go into the hierarchies on governments and order soldiers around. They would go to major battles and tell individual troops of soldiers what to do. Also, you could set up a business this way, and hire a manager.
Laura Tempel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 am

A spear gun wouldn't have any propulsion, although using a spear and telekinesis we should be able to hunt fish.

The EARLY games created a world with standing lore. Now, the Devs can only add and add different views on events, but they can't say that the Warp in the West never happened. They can only straight up change thigs that are hardly touched upon, and even then they have MK give us a one-sentence long thing from Talos to explain it away.

Edit: Only a few 'new' races could show up. Falmer, Ayleid, Goblin, Imga, different Kajiit breeds, Different Argonian tribes, Sload, Left-handed elves, Tang Mo, Po Tun, Tsaeci, Kamal, and finally Akaviri*

*Akaviri would be a race of Men

Spring loaded propulsion for a spear gun, similar to a crossbow but using an actual spring instead of a draw string, same system we have now, it's not really such an advancement of technology to invent the spring, it may have been used many times over in the world of Tamriel for a hundred different uses that we rarely think about.

I have no problem with using lore that has been introduced from previous games, I have no problem with adding new lore (ideas and cultures) around the old lore that does not conflict, adding lore from this book that came out though is optional IMO as a book is separate to the game series and is based on the game series, the book should not necessarily have any bearing on the lore used in TESV but if done correctly I have no problem with that either.

Well, I don't mind that those are the only races that can show up, however the world in which Tamriel resides was made of twelve different worlds molded together by either Anu or Padome (forget which one) and there are around three continents out there which may quite possibly have races we have yet to hear about. As I was saying though, I don't mind having only those races show up, there are quite a few you've mentioned there and it would be nice to have some more sentient life to choose from as a character or to meet in the world.

Stephen.

EDIT: The main reason I don't want the lore from the book to be used in the creation of TESV is that the Dunmer and the Argonians were pretty much wiped out. I haven't finished reading the book yet so I don't know how many other races will be wiped from existence but I believe that losing races detracts from the gameplay, having all the races we know and love and adding a few more will greatly benefit replayability.

Stephen.
Stephanie I

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 am

But the Akaviri would be either dead, enslaved by or assimilated into the Tsaesci.'

Are you suggesting that the book and games be non-canon?

Also, I agree that there may will be sentient life outside of that discovered without serious lore [censored].

All together we've got very few books in the series that talk about Akavir, and one of them is actually call "Mysterious Akavir." I mean, we're still discovering new species with all of are technology, why couldn't they? Especially with several continents (like the one the Redguards sailed from, presumably destroyed) completely unknown.

Spear guns are not spring loaded, they are ALWAYS either CO2 or Hydrogen powered. The only other types are giant crossbows. But, we should be able to catch fish with our bare hands or weapons if we wanted to.

EDIT: They often use springs for the initial boost, but never run solely on spring power.
Amanda savory

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

Spring loaded propulsion for a spear gun, similar to a crossbow but using an actual spring instead of a draw string, same system we have now, it's not really such an advancement of technology to invent the spring, it may have been used many times over in the world of Tamriel for a hundred different uses that we rarely think about.

I have no problem with using lore that has been introduced from previous games, I have no problem with adding new lore (ideas and cultures) around the old lore that does not conflict, adding lore from this book that came out though is optional IMO as a book is separate to the game series and is based on the game series, the book should not necessarily have any bearing on the lore used in TESV but if done correctly I have no problem with that either.

Well, I don't mind that those are the only races that can show up, however the world in which Tamriel resides was made of twelve different worlds molded together by either Anu or Padome (forget which one) and there are around three continents out there which may quite possibly have races we have yet to hear about. As I was saying though, I don't mind having only those races show up, there are quite a few you've mentioned there and it would be nice to have some more sentient life to choose from as a character or to meet in the world.

Stephen.

EDIT: The main reason I don't want the lore from the book to be used in the creation of TESV is that the Dunmer and the Argonians were pretty much wiped out. I haven't finished reading the book yet so I don't know how many other races will be wiped from existence but I believe that losing races detracts from the gameplay, having all the races we know and love and adding a few more will greatly benefit replayability.

Stephen.

Well believe me, the book is 100% canon. Every little thing said in the book will forever be lore, no matter how you feel about it. Bethesda approved everything before the book was released, so they're just as responsible for the events in the game as Keyes is.
Heather Kush

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:25 am

Instead of limiting us to Three play types, why not add a fourth. Stealth, Magic, Bronze, and introducing PERSONALITY. Convincing other people to follow you around and help you out. This type would go into the hierarchies on governments and order soldiers around. They would go to major battles and tell individual troops of soldiers what to do. Also, you could set up a business this way, and hire a manager.

I agree, but I'd imagine it would be more on a persuasive basis. Personality was useless is Oblivion as it was all disposition based. Games that have done it right, such as Planetscape: Torment and KoToR do it skill bases. A roll depending on your personality skill and other modifiers (speechcraft, faction disposition, ect) would decide whether the guard believes your the delivery guy and lets you in, or whether he refuses entrance and you have to dismember him to complete your mission

Anyway, Beth did this to an extent with Fallout 3 with perks, so I'm optimistic about seeing this in the next TES
kennedy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 am

They suffered losses, but they weren't "wiped out." Plus, it would have no effect on individuals of those races already living in other provinces. There were plenty of dunmer in Oblivion, for example, regardless of the condition Morrowind was in.
Albert Wesker

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 am

As regards to our earlier discussion on spear guns, why not add the spear weapon class back into ES5. The spear class was very prevalent in Tamerial but was completely absent in Cyrodiil. I would personally like to see a larger variety of ancient weaponry since getting the same weapon over and over again but in different forms of bronze, steel, elven, dwarven, daderic, etc gets dull. I am not saying Bethesda should add excessive amounts of weapon types but the return of the spear and its subtypes like the halberd, military fork, swordstaff, war scythe, etc. Basically TES, being a medieval styled world, should logically have more weapon variety than just basic short and long swords, spears, axes, and hammers.
Another thought: has anyone explored the idea of customizing weapons in TES? Such as putting a sharper edge on your sword to do more damage at the expense of it wearing out faster?
Jose ordaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 am

But the Akaviri would be either dead, enslaved by or assimilated into the Tsaesci.'

Are you suggesting that the book and games be non-canon?

Also, I agree that there may will be sentient life outside of that discovered without serious lore [censored].

All together we've got very few books in the series that talk about Akavir, and one of them is actually call "Mysterious Akavir." I mean, we're still discovering new species with all of are technology, why couldn't they? Especially with several continents (like the one the Redguards sailed from, presumably destroyed) completely unknown.

Spear guns are not spring loaded, they are ALWAYS either CO2 or Hydrogen powered. The only other types are giant crossbows. But, we should be able to catch fish with our bare hands or weapons if we wanted to.

EDIT: They often use springs for the initial boost, but never run solely on spring power.

I am suggesting that fact be taken from the games and fiction be made out of the book, that the story line progresses from game to game to game, not from game to book to game.

I did not know that about spear guns, was not aware that such force was necessary in order to incapacitate a fish.

Stephen.
Lyd

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 pm

More than likely, the book is simply a novelization of material that was already part of TESV's pre-production stage. Think about it: we have ramblings from the Fifth Era from someone that would be "in the know", and it's not even new material, it's been around a while.

Yet Oblivion is the end of the THIRD Era, so pretty clearly, Bethesda already had the general shape of the FOURTH Era already mapped out.

The lore progressed game->game (pre-production), the book was a later addition, making it game->book->game only after the basic state of the world was already set.

Therefore, the book is an adaptation of what would have been canon from the next game anyway, and should be taken as such.
Greg Swan

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Well I haven't read through all 146 posts lol, but I loved morrowind and oblivion. Some things I'd like to see and/or change in TES V is:

1) Get rid of recycled voices/scenery etc.
2) More Skills added. (They seem to cut a few in Oblivion compared to Morrowind)
3) More Skills added that are related to the Roleplaying experience like some crafting of your own armor/weapons/clothes/food etc. Maybe being able to add bonuses to stuff you make and level on.
4) Get rid of "monsters level with you" theme.
5) I'd love to be able to learn different languages in the game. For example you could gather a certain number of pieces in dungeons and understand what different creatures are saying etc and comunicate. Maybe this could be used for quests or to be able to buy special equipment from small villages who are separate etc?
Reanan-Marie Olsen

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion