TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 146

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 pm

I can hab dah difference between teh 2?

Already given:
Now, let me say this: I would consider it very possible to have a group of magic-users lambasted by another group for practicing what is seen culturally as "improper magic." Like Daedra worship, or necromancers. Under a cultural view, yes, you could have certain types of magic-users as outcasts from the accepted social practices of that culture. The Dunmer did much the same with worship of the "bad" Daedra and necromancers.

However (and correct me if I'm wrong), I feel that is somewhat different than what you were suggesting, which was magic itself being seen as outlawed. The trouble there is, magic is rooted in virtually everything that goes on in Tamriel. Even the Dwemer, who were the only race to decry magic, still used magic at the core of their working, just calling it a different name. Even the Nords have their Greybeards, who tear things apart with their very voice. Even the Redguards have their Yokudan ancestors, the Ansei, who attack with spirit-swords and can cut the atomos (and did). The Khajiit in birth are a perfect example of magic, being affected by the Lunar Lattice and taking on multiple forms accordingly. The fact that stasis and change do not bleed into Mundus like a sieve and rip it apart like Oil and Water is due to the Towers (the first Ada-Mantia, White-Gold, Red-Tower, Crystal-Like-Law, Snow-Throat, etc), which is the epitome of magic.

You see, while the Dunmer may have attacked the worshippers of perceived bad Daedra and necromancers, they did it comfortably using magic. Never mind that they themselves still venerate the bad daedra in a way, and they themselves still practice necromancy (binding the dead to guard their tombs), just calling it a different name.

@ Maxwell the Fool
Don't concede the point of cannons. They existed in a joke book, without context, in pre-Redguard lore (where huge swaths of things were retconned into what they currently are now). If cannons remained post-retcon, then we should have undoubtedly seen presence of them in texts since then, or in games since then. We have not on both counts.
Kayleigh Williams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 am

You specifically stated that some of the earliest table top RPGs had locational damage, and you couldn't possibly know that without having something specific in mind, as simply that some exist won't meet that "earliest" requirement.

Ok sorry but that's just nitpicking "you didn't 100% meet the set requirements so it doesn't count". Sure i phrased that a bit wrong but it was a stil lvalid answer to what YOU said, locational damage CAN be part of RPGs, even TABLETOP RPGS which can be considdered the very base of RPGing.

Don't concede the point of cannons. They existed in a joke book, without context, in pre-Redguard lore (where huge swaths of things were retconned into what they currently are now). If cannons remained post-retcon, then we should have undoubtedly seen presence of them in texts since then, or in games since then. We have not on both counts.

Ohhhh so the lore and history CAN be freely rewritten now as long as it suits you?
Point is reference was asked for, it's there, it was provided.
Kevan Olson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 am

I personnaly wouldn't concede the point of the Cannon since it was only mentionned in ONE book and could be a mistake from the guy who wrote the text.
GRAEME

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:30 pm

...could be a mistake from the guy who wrote the text.

"Ohhhh those wheren't cannons, sorry, totally mistook those things there for cannons, you see the look similar to a cannon and it seemed like they're armed and opperated the same way, my mistake"
"What's a cannon?"
"Oh, let me explain how i know what a cannon is and how it functions..."

PS: The "It's just in one book" and "It was a joke book" are cheap, it still is in the game.
Destinyscharm

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:24 am

Ohhhh so the lore and history CAN be freely rewritten now as long as it suits you?
Point is reference was asked for, it's there, it was provided.

Cannons hardly fall under the same category of "base fundamental metaphysical premises for the foundation of the universe."
Besides, just because it has been done in the past, that doesn't mean it should be continued to be done in the future.
Ray

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 am

"Ohhhh those wheren't cannons, sorry, totally mistook those things there for cannons, you see the look similar to a cannon and it seemed like they're armed and opperated the same way, my mistake"
"What's a cannon?"
"Oh, let me explain how i know what a cannon is and how it functions..."

I meant from the guy IRL who wrote the text -____-

He could've forgot that cannons doesn,t exist or whatever.
Rachel Briere

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:30 am

Cannons hardly fall under the same category of "base fundamental metaphysical premises for the foundation of the universe."
Besides, just because it has been done in the past, that doesn't mean it should be continued to be done in the future.

The question was "Where's the proof", there was the proof.

I don't demand that it will be done again, i never demanded that in any kind of firearms discussion, i just can't stand stupid "IT NEVA HAAAPAAAAANED" arguments.
Crystal Clarke

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 am

Sooo folks, do any of you have suggestions for TESV? Ideas? Wants? Desires?

That is what this topic is for and I suggest you get back to that and off the off topic debates. You already lost the "speculation thread" and we won't lose this one. I'll ban ya all first. :toughninja:

And if you have run out of suggestions or ideas for the next TES game...walk on by this thread. :)
Prisca Lacour

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 am

The only banned topics are guns, multi-player, and child killing, right?
Robyn Howlett

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:30 am

Ok, suggestion:
No more randomly placed loot in most ruins but actually placed like it was in Morrowind. There can still be randomly generated ones but most should be SET.

Further suggestion:
PLEASE, no "Ye olde butchered englishe", it's a pain to read an just sounds silly.
In fact a while ago i watched a movie in art class that was set in the renaissance but used modern language, it was interesting becuase it was easier to get into the characters. Using "old english" just sounds silly and crafted.
Natalie Taylor

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:38 am

More styles of dungeon! There was a pretty good number of types of dungeon in Morrowind. In Oblivion though I can only think of 4, Ayeild ruins, forts, caves and mines. Can't really suggest anything since we don't know where the game will take place but yeah, at least something like the Ancestral tombs in Morrowind that were simple awesome and huh, Daedric ruins please?
Averielle Garcia

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 am

PLEASE, no "Ye olde butchered englishe", it's a pain to read an just sounds silly.
In fact a while ago i watched a movie in art class that was set in the renaissance but used modern language, it was interesting becuase it was easier to get into the characters. Using "old english" just sounds silly and crafted.

Wasn't that removed after Battlespire?
kirsty williams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am

Well, there were tombs and several completely unique dungeons (frostfire, Akved's Tower), but tombs are really just an offshoot of caves.
Amy Cooper

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

I never ever seen a tomb in Oblivion and the only one listed on UESP is the Amelion Tomb.
Jessica Raven

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:59 am

Wasn't that removed after Battlespire?

There's always a danger of falling into that, sepcially now since it's more "classic" fantasy-ish.
Robyn Lena

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 am

Some caves contain coffins and the like, and are filled with undead, to me, that's a tomb.
Christie Mitchell

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Sooo folks, do any of you have suggestions for TESV? Ideas? Wants? Desires?

Oh! Me! Me! I have ideas! :wave:

I want to have my footprints leave tracks in the ground. No, they shouldn't stay there forever, but they can last for either a duration, or for a set amount of footsteps (i.e. on your 100th's step, your 1st step disappears. On your 101st step, your 2nd step disappears.... etc). There was something like this in a PS2 game "Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat" and I thought it was pretty darn cool.

I'd also like grass to sway when NPCs, Creatures, and my character walk through it.

I want trees and leaves and other bendable things to sway realistically in the wind.

I want lots of passive creatures, because it isn't fun when the whole world is inhabited by predators that want to kill you. I want to see predators chasing and attacking prey or fighting other predators. I don't want predators to just stand around doing nothing, they should be wandering, hunting, briefly joining a pack, etc. I suppose a concise desire would be to have this so-called Radiant AI experience extended not just to NPCs, but to monsters and creatures as well.

I want to be able to climb land formations, boulders, trees, and buildings to find hidden goodies, escape hostile NPCs/creatures, rest, or whatever.

The bottoms of lakes and oceans should be fun and a varied and interesting environment to explore. There should be currents in rivers. There should be the ability to have different opacities for different sections of water, so that you can have crystal clear springs or muddy pools.
Julia Schwalbe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 am

Generic Medieval Fantasy isn't bad. As long as it features most of my ideas. :D
I'd hate for the game to feel undecided like Oblivion.
Chad Holloway

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 am

If the design is not any different then it's still a Cave or Ayleid ruin to me. Anyway, on UESP wiki there's only 4 category on dungeons for Oblivion against 8 (9 If you count shipwrecks) in Morrowind, can we go back to this number of different styles of dungeon!? :D
Inol Wakhid

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 am

Generic Medieval Fantasy isn't bad.

It isnt bad... but boring as hell.
Lewis Morel

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

The only banned topics are guns, multi-player, and child killing, right?

Guns can be a suggestion just as anything else but it usually does turn into a debate that isn't approiate for this thread. Child killing discussions of any kind are forbidden anywhere and we can safely assume it won't be a part of future TES games. Multi player has it's own thread for discussion.

It isn't that something is forbidden so much as debating one aspect of what we want derails the thread for others just wishing to make their ideas and suggestions known without having to defend what they want. This really isn't a debate one thing type of thread. It's not a debate thread at all but rather a place where folks can share what they would like to see in the next game. Don't make it seem as if moderators are here to destroy your fun because really we just want to get this topic back where it belongs and that is a place to express your hopes for the next game.

For instance, I want bedrolls which I can take with me for camping out in open under the stars and I want to be able to start camp fires. I would like the next game to require skills be a certian level for advancement in guilds or houses. There are any number of things I want and if I want to express those things I would like to do so without having to explain my desires, defend my desires or go on about them for pages and pages drowing out the next guy wanting to talk about what they want.

Now, let's not spend the whole thread going back over that. If you want further explanation please feel free to pm myself or another moderator and we will be happy to try and explain further. :)
Emilie M

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 pm

I want a gold plated toilet...wait to the even have toilets...ok first toilets and then gold plated toilets i also want to be able to scale rock formations or buildings
Logan Greenwood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 am

My self-censoring was genuine, I don't think moderators are here to destroy our fun.

I would also like your skills to have to be a certain level to advance in a guild, and I wish that guilds conflicted more, and had 30+ hour story lines. I want being the arch mage to be my life, and to drastically change the way I play. I want being the Listener to keep me busy, with nightly visits to the night mother. I want being the Gray Fox to include plotting schemes, and commanding two or three thieves to rob such and such a place, and to do it this way, and to leave a note saying this. I want being head of the Fighter's Guild to mean having to help defend travelers from bandits, and I want all of these (most likely to be procedurally generated) head quests to have their own little twists.

Also, I want every TASK to have a good and evil way of doing it, I want to be able to return the husband that I was sent to save with an empty coin purse and a black eye. Notice I used the word task rather than quest because I should be able to complete each section of multi-stage quests in different ways. There should also be morally gray decisions somewhere in the game, where neither gains you fame nor infamy, but just makes you think, and possibly look back on it and wish you'd done it the other way for unforeseeable reasons.

Also, you should have competitors, people who started in the same place as you (cell mates?) who have different goals in mind, such as buying a house, and each of the guys you start with has different moral characteristics (randomly determined, but no two alike), which leads to different ways that they would achieve these goals, and once they achieve it they get a different goal, and no two would ever have the same goals, and one would never get the same goal twice. Periodically they would bump in to you, and you could talk to them about how their goals have been going. If one gets an unattainable goal then they go insane. Sometimes they will get goals like "earn so much cash" and if they can't get it they may just show up and kill you for it. Also, they should have different skill sets which should be unrelated to their alignments (so a good guy might end up as an assassin type class). This idea was stolen from a previous thread and slightly modified, but I can't remember who said it.....

There should be skills that define your vital statistics, such as how keen your eye sight is, which would improve your accuracy with both a bow and on target spells, or how strong you are, which would improve the type of bow you could use (higher draw weight), but also the amount of damage you do in melee combat, and how fast you can climb.

The stealth needs to be improved (thief games), the magic needs more spell types and interactions, and spells need to take place in a specific order (like Morrowind), so that if I hit you with a spell that does 1) weakness to shock and 2) shock damage, the weakness would go first, and you'd get hit by a more powerful shock blast than usual. We need more locational damage, if I hit you upside the head with a child-sized hammer you DIE! (unless your a liche, or are using protect spells). Also, things need more secondary effects, if you get hit in the face with a fire ball, you're eye skill is damaged PERMANENTLY. You need to go to a chapel, or heal it yourself (spell or potion) to get it fixed.

Fame and Infamy should have more bearing on your conversations, no matter how much someone likes you, they would shy away if you were say wanted for a dozen murders, or they might be weak willed enough to be bullied into helping.

Speachcraft needs sub skills, like bluff, intimidate, flatter etc. Some are more susceptible to one or the others, and you can get very skilled in one without being skilled in the others.

Right now this is just a blob, but I'm trying to get a good, solid outline for all of the game mechanics, possibly including formulas down on paper. :)
FirDaus LOVe farhana

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 am

I want to have my footprints leave tracks in the ground. No, they shouldn't stay there forever, but they can last for either a duration, or for a set amount of footsteps (i.e. on your 100th's step, your 1st step disappears. On your 101st step, your 2nd step disappears.... etc).

Ideally (to me anyway) this could also be a part of stealth. Different surfaces would retain a footprint for varying times. So even if you go by with no one around, a guard on patrol might wander by to see your big fat footprints in the sand going from the woods to someone's backdoor and follow them. A clever thief would need to be more aware of the different entries to a building, and a really clever one might be able to set tracks to nowhere just to distract patrols. They could also be combined with various things; walk from the rain into somewhere dry, and you leave wet, more visible prints. They make no different in grass, but are easy to see on stone. Step in mud and the tracks might gradually fade on someone's lawn, but stay an inordinately long time on carpet.
Stephanie I

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 am

Oh! Me! Me! I have ideas! :wave:

I want to have my footprints leave tracks in the ground. No, they shouldn't stay there forever, but they can last for either a duration, or for a set amount of footsteps (i.e. on your 100th's step, your 1st step disappears. On your 101st step, your 2nd step disappears.... etc). There was something like this in a PS2 game "Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat" and I thought it was pretty darn cool.

Wouldn't it be even better if the footprints were left semi indefinitly depending on their surroundings and weather? I mean like if the footprints were in soft mud and then it dried and didn't rain for monthes the prints should still be there but if they're in sand then the tide would wipe them away when it came. Etc....
Eire Charlotta

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion