TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 146

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 am

Oh! Me! Me! I have ideas! :wave:

I want to have my footprints leave tracks in the ground. No, they shouldn't stay there forever, but they can last for either a duration, or for a set amount of footsteps (i.e. on your 100th's step, your 1st step disappears. On your 101st step, your 2nd step disappears.... etc). There was something like this in a PS2 game "Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat" and I thought it was pretty darn cool.

I'd also like grass to sway when NPCs, Creatures, and my character walk through it.

I want trees and leaves and other bendable things to sway realistically in the wind.

I want lots of passive creatures, because it isn't fun when the whole world is inhabited by predators that want to kill you. I want to see predators chasing and attacking prey or fighting other predators. I don't want predators to just stand around doing nothing, they should be wandering, hunting, briefly joining a pack, etc. I suppose a concise desire would be to have this so-called Radiant AI experience extended not just to NPCs, but to monsters and creatures as well.

I want to be able to climb land formations, boulders, trees, and buildings to find hidden goodies, escape hostile NPCs/creatures, rest, or whatever.

The bottoms of lakes and oceans should be fun and a varied and interesting environment to explore. There should be currents in rivers. There should be the ability to have different opacities for different sections of water, so that you can have crystal clear springs or muddy pools.

I agree with all those things. :thumbsup:

As for me I want underwater ruins so badly.
Margarita Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 am

For instance, I want bedrolls which I can take with me for camping out in open under the stars and I want to be able to start camp fires.

On the topic of campfires, there was an mmo that had promised to implement a pretty cool idea relating to them (No wait, Summer! This isn't about a multiplayer Elder Scrolls, please keep reading before clicking that 'Send to Oblivion' button! :obliviongate: ) I think the game was called Vanguard... Anyway, it was in the development stages, and the devs posted on the forums to announce a cool new feature that would be available to players:

Players could start campfires wherever they liked in the world's wilderness. These campfires would deter beasties, and so acted as a 'safe spot' for players inbetween questing and grinding. Other players would be likely to use the campfire as a rest zone if they were also questing in the area, and if this campfire became a popular spot and was maintained by these players then eventually a travelling merchant would appear to sell basic wares to the players such as healing potions, arrows, and also offer equipment repair services. If this campfire continued to pick up in popularity, then more permanent traders would arrive and set up shop. Before long small buildings would be constructed, and guards sent from neighbouring towns to help defend the new settlement would arrive. Whether this ambitious idea was ever implemented or not, I don't know. But I loved the idea.

Unless the settlement idea could be implemented well, i'd rather campfires weren't taken to that extent in TES:V. But I would like them to attract other travellers, whether they be wandering traders looking to make a quick buck or relieve you of your pelts and treasures; guards checking out the encampment for bandit activity; civilians looking for company overnight when they don't quite make it to their scheduled inn by sunset; or even bandits searching for prey to catch off-guard while you roast mudcrab meat on the fire. In short, i'd like not just the option to create a campfire, but to see how NPCs and the environment in general react to it. It's the small details that add to my immersion :)
luis dejesus

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 am

Final wishlist for the graphics:

http://www.umbrasoftware.com/: So the game can run faster, cities can be open, and more detail in general.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=556187: Everything looks more detailed and realistic, yay!
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/whitepapers/2007/SDK10/SoftParticles_hi.pdf: So you can walk through the rain and have misty streets in the early morning.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=557289: The sky now provides light and shadows! Should make the outdoors look way cool. (check the deviantart link for a good video)
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-2008-epic-games/30825: 150+ characers (creatures/npc's) onscreen at once! Huge battles and properly crowded cities. (couldn't find a paper on it)
http://www.gamasutra.com/visualcomputing/blog/2008/05/engel_details_light_prepass_re.php: Every light source, from fireballs to candles to campfires, can now cast light!
http://www.speedtree.com/: Awesome looking trees (much better than Oblivions) and grass that doesn't disappear!
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F4036509%2F4036510%2F04037052.pdf%3Farnumber%3D4037052&authDecision=-203: Actual, 3d waves in the water. If the game is set in the Summerset Isle's you'd be able to go on a boat, and actually rock back on forth on the waves.

Tried to include a combination of things that are possible on the 360/PS3, look good, and some of which can even improve gameplay! Deffered shading could be great for stealth, as every light source in an interior could be changed and moved, turned off and on. Obviously 150+ characters at once could mean awesome large scale battles, etc.
adam holden

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

Wouldn't it be even better if the footprints were left semi indefinitly depending on their surroundings and weather? I mean like if the footprints were in soft mud and then it dried and didn't rain for monthes the prints should still be there but if they're in sand then the tide would wipe them away when it came. Etc....

Don't forget the effect wind can have on soil, too! But, I think that might be almost too complex to dynamically keep track of each footstep and the effect of weather/erosion on each step. But, I do like the idea that footprints left in different terrain will have different durations. Snow could last a long time, unless it snows again. Sand would get swept away by wind or tide. Mud can preserve footprints - but, like you said, if it rains, the prints will just wash away. There are some surfaces that don't retain footprints very well to begin with: rocks, gravel, leaf litter, that sort of thing.

I think Bethesda needs to create some method by which they can add special environmental conditions and effects based on the type of terrain used in the world-building process. That would remove the need to actually script specific sections of the game world, which would be a pain to do, and not be very adaptable if you end up changing the terrain to a different tileset.

With that method in place, it would be possible to also aid or hinder terrestrial movement (walking, running) - you shouldn't be able to run over loose scree or deep mud as swiftly as packed and sturdy dirt. I know some RTS games have this feature when dictating troop movement distances (I'm thinking of Heroes of Might & Magic III).
Sabrina Steige

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 pm

I think Maxwell is referencing my "adventurer board" idea?

Whihc basically involved NPCs who could have a *limited* impact on the game world, while still trying to achieve power, fame, fortune, and style. In general, I wouldn't mind giving them full freedom, except for some limits, one of which might even be useful as a game setting rather than a hard limit:

1. free agent NPCs should not kill named NPCs in the name of "don't screw up content because an NPC went zuzu"
2. free agent NPCs should not disrupt static or quest items, so that places look like they are intended and so quests don't devlove into murdering these NPCs on the chance that they might be the one.

Things the free-agent NPCs should definitely be able to do:

1. steal respawning items (even statics)
2. pickpocket gold and common items
3. purchase and use any non-unique item in the game
4. train skills
5. scavenge bandits/unnamed NPCs
6. create custom spells and enchantments.
7. Kill you and each other.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 am

Another suggestion for Bethesda regarding Solstheim:

In Morrowind, the Empire was trying to get a foothold on the island and integrate it into the Empire. But in the novel, the Empire is in shambles and obviously couldn't care less about Solstheim.

In Oblivion, it's said that Skyrim is trying to integrate it into the province.

In the novel, the Dunmer fled to Solstheim after the red year.

So my question is, who are you going to give Solstheim to? Skyrim or the Dunmer? I suggest that if Solstheim isn't already a part of Skyrim, then give it to the Dunmer and let them make it their new "home" province. Let them reestablish their government there so that they can concentrate on recovering. Eventually, they could consider trying to take back Morrowind from the Argonians. Or, have the Nords fight with the Dunmer, both sides claiming Solstheim belongs to them.

Also, and I know I've suggested this before, but when you come out with the new map of the Empire, make sure the land that used to be Morrowind is shown to be part of Black Marsh. Not only will it make little old me happy, but it will help show how much Tamriel has evolved since Oblivion. Besides, how could Morrowind still be called Morrowind if it's government and all it's people are either dead or on Solstheim?
Chris Jones

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 pm

So my question is, who are you going to give Solstheim to? Skyrim or the Dunmer?

My guess: Neither will get it. ;)

let's see, as long as I'm wishing... I want Sneak to work realistically - i.e. I can't stand in front of someone and still not be seen. NPC AI needs to improve so that NPCs freak out when they see a dead body. I can't tell you how many times I got a kick out of watching two bandits in a cave talk, then I fire an arrow (while sneaking) and kill one bandit. The other one passively watches his comrade slump lifeless to the ground, and then just stands there, oblivious. Okay, admittedly it was only funny the first few times, then it was just sad how limited the AI response was.
Alexandra Ryan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18 am

My guess: Neither will get it. ;)

let's see, as long as I'm wishing... I want Sneak to work realistically - i.e. I can't stand in front of someone and still not be seen. NPC AI needs to improve so that NPCs freak out when they see a dead body. I can't tell you how many times I got a kick out of watching two bandits in a cave talk, then I fire an arrow (while sneaking) and kill one bandit. The other one passively watches his comrade slump lifeless to the ground, and then just stands there, oblivious. Okay, admittedly it was only funny the first few times, then it was just sad how limited the AI response was.

But someone needs to get it. Look at it just sitting there on the map... all colorless and smug... refusing to be a part of a province like everyone else... where does it get off!

:unsure:

I wouldn't be shocked if found out I was Napoleon incarnate...
sam

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 am

What about aliens?
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 am

What if TES V took place in Skyrim, with a Solstheim expansion that dealt with the very issue above? With the player helping one of the three factions out, but then, HOLY CRAP HERE COME THE ARGONIANS! and everyone unites against them...... Then gets back to their petty squabbles!

Yes Alchemist, that is exactly the idea I was talking about.

And why shouldn't the other adventurers be able to kill people all they want? Why shouldn't they be able to get artifacts? Then you could here a rumor about them having it, launching into a quest to kill them and take back oh, say..... UMBRA! It possessed them! You can have other cool little twists like that for each artifact (if it's found). But give them a low chance of finding the artifacts, so it'll only happen once every in-game year on average.

Also, I've heard a lot of complaining (mostly by me) about the essential system in OB. I liked it the way it was in MW, where anyone with a chance of randomly dying (Din) was marked as respawning. But I think that if they're killed by the PC then they shouldn't respawn, you should just get a warning, and this applies to all quest characters. Also, when you finish their quest they're no longer respawning. I hated that about OB.

Would anyone else like there to be no respawning containers in houses? What about being able to sleep in the bed if it's owner is dead?
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 am

What about aliens?

Aliens can't exist in the TES universe. Nirn is the center of creation, so they can't be other beings from outside of Nirn. The closest thing to aliens in the TES universe is daedra from other realms.
Amy Siebenhaar

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Would anyone else like there to be no respawning containers in houses?

If the owner is dead then ok, but if he's still alive there's no reason for him not to buy back what was stolen.
Jacob Phillips

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 am

But someone needs to get it. Look at it just sitting there on the map... all colorless and smug... refusing to be a part of a province like everyone else... where does it get off!

:unsure:

I wouldn't be shocked if found out I was Napoleon incarnate...

Well, there's more than just Skyrim and Morrowind/Dunmer. Nothing to say it won't be the stepping stone of an Akiviri invasion, a far-flung bastion of failing Imperial strength, or taken over by malevolent Sload. I heard that the Altmer invaded Valenwood, so now the Bosmer need somewhere to live. It's all a mess in Tamriel (at least, at the time period depicted in that TES book), politics-wise. I wonder if the borders will get re-drawn?

Then again, Solstheim could grow legs and wander around. Stranger things have happened. :P
Harry-James Payne

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:36 am

Well, there's more than just Skyrim and Morrowind/Dunmer. Nothing to say it won't be the stepping stone of an Akiviri invasion, a far-flung bastion of failing Imperial strength, or taken over by malevolent Sload. I heard that the Altmer invaded Valenwood, so now the Bosmer need somewhere to live. It's all a mess in Tamriel (at least, at the time period depicted in that TES book), politics-wise. I wonder if the borders will get re-drawn?

Then again, Solstheim could grow legs and wander around. Stranger things have happened. :P

Yeah, that's true. :shrug:

Though borders better be redrawn, Bethesda, specifically around Black Marsh, or I'll, I'll... whine about it on the forums. :cold:
Ronald

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi, I've been reading through these forums for awhile and I'd like to post a few things.

1. When you kill someone, I think either a relative should move in (as if it was inherited) or after a few days the house/shop should be up for sale.

2. Please more realistic hair! And weather appropriate outfits! More outfits in general! Maybe I'm being a bit too girly when I play, but I would love to put on a jacket over my dress if it was cold or have a good looking hairstyle. Or even better, be able to look in a mirror and when I click on said mirror, I'd like to change my hair or put on make up

3. Long blade and short blade should be separate. I mean, handling a katana and handling a hunting knife are completely different.

4. I read a lot about people wanting it to be necessary to eat. If that happens, add milk or juice or water. Something other than booze! And I think that if that happens, the in game time should slow down. One real minute equals one game hour. I think I'd get kind of annoyed if I had to grab a bite every ten minutes.

5. Maybe make bandit caves have things of value. Especially at early levels. I'm not saying that there should be a full set of ebony or glass armor or weapons, but I was so disappointed when I first entered a cave in Oblivion. Plates? Cups? Folded Cloth? That's what's being locked in high level chests?

6. Speaking of folded cloth, they have the shears, and cloth. Even pelt.... I think it would be fun to have a mini game where I can make clothes or blankets. Again, it may just be me being a girl.

7. And I agree that if provinces have been invaded, maps should be redrawn
Ellie English

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:25 am

Snip

+1 to all this.

New suggestion : A biggest difference in speed depending of whe armor you wear, a guy in heavy armor max speed at 100 speed should be something like 30% slower than someone in light armor with the same number of points in speed, no perks should affect this.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Hello all, first time poster. I got into the Elder Scrolls series through Oblivion which proved to be one of my favorite games of all time. Of course after so much time spent playing you form ideas of what shall become of the next game, so here are some of mine:

1) Better decision outcomes. This is a lesson that could be learned from Dragon Age: Origins, every piece of dialogue in that game steers you in one way or another into a different outcome. I say certain things, I either battle or don't battle the huge ass dragon/bandits, etc. This is something I felt Oblivion lacked & the sequel could highly benefit from; no matter what I said, I had to go about a quest in the exact same way I did 3-4 times before (I restarted the game many a time) & to tell you the truth it got monotonous.

2) More people... I can't stress this enough, in Oblivion I just felt lonely. Given there was a terrible invasion going on that would make few people willing to step outside, I feel like the experience would have been much better if at least cities would actually have something going on other than the few people you encounter every time you head to that area. Take Assassins Creed (I or II, I don't really care) for instance, there were a ton of things going on at any given time in that game. People buying/selling merchandise, doing whatever it is that people did back in that time. To me it felt far more immersive. As opposed to me, the landscape & whatever quest I had going on at the current moment. I hope this one makes sense.

3) A better economy. The economy was really dependent on you. Not to mention a sellers gold would just ALWAYS stay the same, making it frustrating to sell higher priced items to more than a few merchants. The way I see it: You buy something, their gold goes up, you sell something, their gold goes down. Every day perhaps they make an income of X gold depending on location, popularity/other variables. Also items should rotate, making it a surprise every time you walk into a shop every few days.

4) Horseback skill. A horse was pretty useless in Oblivion. Besides knocking it out & storing all of you're loot in it, I didn't particularly care for having one. Fast travelling was effective, & if you really wanted to explore then walking/jumping was a far better way to get around as it increased your experience. By offering a horseback skill it actually gives you a reason to ride a horse other than boredom or already being maxed out on everything. Combat would also be nice on horseback. Imagine aiming your arrow at a deer as you chase it down in attempt to take it's delicious venison. Or an epic chase scene against some bandit scum wielding swords? I think it would be fantastic. Naturally at lower levels you might fall off your horse easier, aiming might be harder, speed might not be as fast, etc. But everything should get better the longer you ride. Also, a nice saddle to hold your precious loot that can be naturally upgraded as gold persists.

I suppose these are all I can think of for the time being. Please excuse me if I re-posted, or stated anything untrue as I haven't played in a good while due to, well, life. Any comments/suggestions would be great!
Scarlet Devil

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 am

Hello all, first time poster. I got into the Elder Scrolls series through Oblivion which proved to be one of my favorite games of all time. Of course after so much time spent playing you form ideas of what shall become of the next game, so here are some of mine:

1) Better decision outcomes. This is a lesson that could be learned from Dragon Age: Origins, every piece of dialogue in that game steers you in one way or another into a different outcome. I say certain things, I either battle or don't battle the huge ass dragon/bandits, etc. This is something I felt Oblivion lacked & the sequel could highly benefit from; no matter what I said, I had to go about a quest in the exact same way I did 3-4 times before (I restarted the game many a time) & to tell you the truth it got monotonous.

2) More people... I can't stress this enough, in Oblivion I just felt lonely. Given there was a terrible invasion going on that would make few people willing to step outside, I feel like the experience would have been much better if at least cities would actually have something going on other than the few people you encounter every time you head to that area. Take Assassins Creed (I or II, I don't really care) for instance, there were a ton of things going on at any given time in that game. People buying/selling merchandise, doing whatever it is that people did back in that time. To me it felt far more immersive. As opposed to me, the landscape & whatever quest I had going on at the current moment. I hope this one makes sense.

3) A better economy. The economy was really dependent on you. Not to mention a sellers gold would just ALWAYS stay the same, making it frustrating to sell higher priced items to more than a few merchants. The way I see it: You buy something, their gold goes up, you sell something, their gold goes down. Every day perhaps they make an income of X gold depending on location, popularity/other variables. Also items should rotate, making it a surprise every time you walk into a shop every few days.

4) Horseback skill. A horse was pretty useless in Oblivion. Besides knocking it out & storing all of you're loot in it, I didn't particularly care for having one. Fast travelling was effective, & if you really wanted to explore then walking/jumping was a far better way to get around as it increased your experience. By offering a horseback skill it actually gives you a reason to ride a horse other than boredom or already being maxed out on everything. Combat would also be nice on horseback. Imagine aiming your arrow at a deer as you chase it down in attempt to take it's delicious venison. Or an epic chase scene against some bandit scum wielding swords? I think it would be fantastic. Naturally at lower levels you might fall off your horse easier, aiming might be harder, speed might not be as fast, etc. But everything should get better the longer you ride. Also, a nice saddle to hold your precious loot that can be naturally upgraded as gold persists.

I suppose these are all I can think of for the time being. Please excuse me if I re-posted, or stated anything untrue as I haven't played in a good while due to, well, life. Any comments/suggestions would be great!

Horseback added as a skill would be nice and everything else you said seems to ring with me

A side note though, I want this game to be set in elswyr, the land of desert and jungle cats
no_excuse

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:06 am

Setting
i would like TES5 to be set in Summerset Isle and Valenwood, these two land masses would roughly be the same size as Cyrodiil.. plus during the main mainquest you then leave Summerset Isle by boat to travel to Valenwood. Summerset Isle heavy magic themes = cool - Valenwood dense forest = cool! having boat travel would open lots of roleplay options

Eating/Sleeping
a great idea, if you dont then the image will blur and then you would black out (you could then robbed by bandits if in the wilderness), you would also be slower at travel and combat
Romy Welsch

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:50 am

Horseback added as a skill would be nice and everything else you said seems to ring with me

How about a general "riding" skill, so we can have steeds other than horses? I'm all for a velociraptor or huge carnivorous mammal.
Kayla Bee

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Something I'd like to add...

There are items worth 15,000+ septims. I'd like to see at least one merchant with that much gold. Of course I'd want that merchant to have the highest mercantile skill in the game so its not easy to get full price for those items.

And rare gems should be worth a little more IMO
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 am

There are items worth 15,000+ septims. I'd like to see at least one merchant with that much gold. Of course I'd want that merchant to have the highest mercantile skill in the game so its not easy to get full price for those items.

Banks and a better economy would allow for things like structured payments over time, instead of an all or nothing deal. I'm tired of "Hi, I found this item worth a hundred thousand septims and I'd like to sell it." "I'll give you 500. It's all I've got." "...yeah, okay." They sign a contract, empty a certain amount into your account each week/month. Break the contract, go to jail or some other punishment. Less reputable might promise extra payments but be unwilling to make a legal contract of it, giving you a choice to make as a notorious thief probably won't have the luxury of selling someone's crown at Classy Von Classingtons.
Micah Judaeah

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:43 am

i personally enjoyed The Fable 2 Pub Games mini game DLC via XBL, which integrates well with the later released main game (and is continued within the main game)

i would enjoy the same idea, maybe with a trading card type game featuring monsters etc from the TES universe (past/present games), once you achieved certain goals you could be rewarded in the main game with rare items
Breautiful

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 am

Banks and a better economy would allow for things like structured payments over time, instead of an all or nothing deal. I'm tired of "Hi, I found this item worth a hundred thousand septims and I'd like to sell it." "I'll give you 500. It's all I've got." "...yeah, okay." They sign a contract, empty a certain amount into your account each week/month. Break the contract, go to jail or some other punishment. Less reputable might promise extra payments but be unwilling to make a legal contract of it, giving you a choice to make as a notorious thief probably won't have the luxury of selling someone's crown at Classy Von Classingtons.

like this idea- you should also be able to get loans- either from 'legitimate' banks, so if you don't pay up you can be arrested, or from other more 'shady' sources who will contact the DB if s payment isn't made...
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:32 pm

how u doin people.

whats about the ability to shapeshift into an animal. and the ability too posess people. these skills could be used to safely rome areas. lets say you are in a mission where u have too get into a castle. you put a charm on one of the gaurds. you bring him to your place. knock him out then you put your hands on him and he becomes posessed by your spirit. then you safely get into the castle. but your body is unconcious. then you do whatever and finish the mission supposing how strong the gaurds will is. then you send the gaurd back too your house and do the spell release which will send your spirit out of his body and back to yours.

shapeshifting could be used as a way too go over a obstacle of some sort. u could change into a lion and run fast. you could change into a fish and swim through skinny places. you could turn into a eagle or a legendary pheonix and fly. matters upon the situation.
hannah sillery

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion